Toot toot, fuckers, it's the
PAX isn't PAX because of the exhibitors nor the concerts, not the tournaments nor the contests. PAX is PAX because if the people. Because of YOU
, and in order to get you all to Seattle to become the expo we know and love, we need mass transportation. Why, you might ask, is our mass transportation better than their mass transportation?
Let Me Tell You About Our Train...
No wait. Scratch that. Let me show you our train.
There are muffins there, but it's not about muffins.
There are games there, but it's not about games.
There is beer there, but it's not about beer.
It's about gamers.
. Got it?
We did it in '07, and it was a smashing, and I mean SMASHING success. Fun was had, trains were ridden, games were played, Union Pacific trains were waited for and hated on, and when the Coast Starlight finally rolled into Seattle, the expo hadn't even officially begun yet! Thus, in short...
Fuuuuuck! Get me on this train!
Okay, here's what you're going to need:
- Train name and Travel Dates. We will be riding Train #14, The Coast Starlight depart August 27th, 2008 from California, or August 28th from Klamath Falls or Chemult, OR. We return on southbound Train #11 September 1st.
- Train tickets. They start cheap, and the price rises steadily until departure. That means buy now, because you fuckin' KNOW you're coming. Here's a sample of train fares from major stops:
- Note: All prices assume round trip coach accommodations. Rooms cost a shit-ton*. No, really. A goddamn shit-ton*. Rumor is they're worth it and you're treated really well, but honestly. A shit-ton*.
- Note #2: Oh, and watch out for that thing where Amtrak tries to stick you on four different trains around the bay area instead of the straight-shot Coast Starlight. They're fuckers that way. Also be sure to call in any discounts you're eligible for. AAA, Student's Advantage, Military, etc.
- From Los Angeles, CA (LAX): $184
- From San Jose, CA (SJC): $180
- From Emeryville/San Francisco, CA (EMY): $174
- From Sacramento, CA (SAC): $156
- From Redding, CA (RDD): $130
- =======From Here North, Book for the 28th of August!=======
- From Klamath Falls, OR (KFS): $100
- From Chemult, OR (CMO): $88
- =======From Here North, The train doesn't stop! Sorry! =======
- ...aaand back to what you need to bring on the train.
- A backpack with snack food and plenty of water. They have a full-service restaurant on board that serves 3 meals per day as well as a snack bar that sells snacks, souvenirs, beer and hard liquor, but those are expensive.
- Thirty bucks or so in cash for onboard sundries and cab fare.
- A book or two, if you like to read. It's nice to be able to get away from everyone for a while and just read as the scenery goes by.
- Earplugs/Eyemask if you have trouble sleeping.
- Headphones for any electronic devices you're carrying.
With that, I open the thread to questions. Ask 'em, and I'll answer 'em!
EVERYONE PLEASE POST THE STATION YOU'LL BE BOARDING AT KTHX
Participant List (65 total so far!):
Los Angeles, CA
- 33 so far
COMMISSAR Augustus + 2-3 Apparatchiks
Darkblade1 + 1 brother
Lindygamer + 6-8 friends
Fatal Blade + 4 Friends
Eric_Res + X friends
Van Nuys, CA
- 3 so far
TimeCruiser Mike + 1 brother
San Luis Obispo, CA
4 so far
Sir Landreth +3 Friends
San Jose, CA
- 4+ so far
Highfire + 2 potentials
SlickShughes + 1 Spouse
Raiden333 + friends
- 3+ so far
kazuo + 1 potential
4+ so far
Contrefait + 3-4
1 so far
Klamath Falls, OR
- 5 so far
sobjw + 1 friend
- 5 so far
Anexkhan + 4 friends
Supplemental list of poor saps who can't get on the real train, but have to get on the WCTT-Lite:
- 9 So Far
Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!