Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Insane game dev asks pirates to email him

cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Ok, I admit that would be me, doing it here:
http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/?p=76

the thing is, I was inspired by this excellent penny arcade strip:
20080808.jpg

in combination with some other stories regarding games costing more on PC than consoles (and the usage of this as justification for piracy) to think about the thought processes behind people pirating games. Obviously, as a game dev, I'm specifically worried most about my own (see sig).
99% of the time when people flame on an internet forum about piracy, they are either preaching to the converted, or ranting furiously at a company they know is ignoring them.
So I'm trying to be different, and doing something that I suspect may be akin to ignoring the advice of not mentioning the war, or working with children and animals, and I'm actively asking people who specifically pirated my games, to tell me why, and how I could have persuaded them to have bought them instead.

Is this mad? Should we never discuss this? Is it better to keep the devs in one corner, and the pirates in another, and pretend each other do not exist? I think not. I've seen these forums be more grown-up and reasonable than most, and thought it might be possible to have a sensible debate on the issue here.

So forgetting photoshop, forgetting mp3s, forgetting movies, the RIAA, MPAA, BSA etc etc etc, and thinking purely about SMALL BUDGET and indie games..... If you pirate them, why do you? and what would change your mind?

cliffski on
«13456716

Posts

  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really think piracy is rather simple. Now keep in mind that I do not pirate myself, but I have a few friends that do.

    I think it falls into three categories.

    A) They would rather have the game for free, because free IS free and it's extremely easy to click a link and d/l the game.

    B) They hate the company that produces the game, but still want to play said game. So they pirate it to "Stick it to the man."

    C) They want to try out the game before they buy. If they don't like it, they obviously won't buy it, so they fall under the category of simple pirates.

    I really don't think you can change a pirates' mind with mere words. There simply just are people out there that don't want to pay for a game and will not pay for a game as long as it remains easy to pirate and escape litigation.

    Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    So forgetting photoshop, forgetting mp3s, forgetting movies, the RIAA, MPAA, BSA etc etc etc, and thinking purely about SMALL BUDGET and indie games..... If you pirate them, why do you? and what would change your mind?

    Whilst it's an interesting question, I'm not sure how much of a bite you're going to get here.

    Have you considered some other forums? I know at the gametrailers forums they talk a LOT about how much they pirate PC games. Possibly also gamespot and gamefaqs. Although there's also a correlation there with how immature the forums generally are there I'm afraid.

    BTW, am I guessing right in that this was partly prompted by that RPS post on Bionic Commando?

    subedii on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think you'll find many pirates on the PA boards. Compared to a lot of forums I've poked around, the PA G&T crew seems to be (in general) the most mature, well-mannered bunch of posters I've found. This kinda' suggests to me that they either don't pirate, or if they do, they do it really well.

    I think the only games I've pirated in the last ten years was a copy of Link to the Past, which I have owned and lost (not sold or given away) at some point, so I was able to grey-area through the moral implications. The other was, poetically enough, Sid Meier's Pirates!. which my little brother had insisted I play and put on my PC. It's very good for a day or two, I suggest you give it a try (for money, going through all legal channels).

    I can't tell you why pirates steal your shit (though I can guess). I'm proud of my games library, and while I occasionally wish I had never spent that $20.00 on a case of beer or that $30.00 on a pizza, I almost never regret a games purchase.

    Chance on
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is mad. Every single response you get will be 'I dont want to pay for this' and there is nothing you can change about your game to rectify this other than give it away for free.

    The_Scarab on
    scarab you have mental problems
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess that the closest thing I come to being a pirate is when I buy a game and promptly download the crack for the game since I don't want to have to deal with some shitty DRM or being forced to have the disc in the DVD drive, despite doing a full installation.

    Silpheed on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright, I'll bite. The last game I tried to pirate was Prince of Persia: Two Thrones. I bought the triple pack, but Two Thrones came with Starforce, and as such, wouldn't install on Vista (which I'm actually quite thankful of).

    I tried to download a torrent of TT only to find that any torrents available for it still don't have Starforce removed, they just include a crack to use once you've already installed the game and Starforce on your PC.

    So yeah, that was a failure as pirating goes I guess. :lol:

    subedii on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Explanation for those of us who weren't there at the time? As far as I can tell it looks like one of those fake Star-Trek Klingon knives right?

    subedii on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Explanation for those of us who weren't there at the time? As far as I can tell it looks like one of those fake Star-Trek Klingon knives right?

    I am puzzled by your inquiry

    cliff_puzzled.jpg

    Surely you jest?

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Explanation for those of us who weren't there at the time? As far as I can tell it looks like one of those fake Star-Trek Klingon knives right?

    Its just a random picture on his blog.

    .

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sorry, but I have never heard of the games you made. I'll download them later tonight and take a look though.



    So,did you actually get any real answers yet?

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally, I see piracy as a means to demo a product before purchasing. This of course doesn't apply to any games with demos (such as Democracy 2) and I'd never consider pirating such games. My rules are simple: If it's good, buy it; if it's not good (or rather, doesn't interest me), delete it immediately. Fortunately, games lacking demos seem to be few and far between and non-PC games can be rented easily enough. The main sticking point these days seems to be portable systems (no local place rents portable games), but at least with the DS demos are available at places like Gamestop and Target, mitigating that "problem" as well.

    I've purchased a handful of independent games, with most of them coming from Stardock. In Stardock's case, I bought Galactic Civilizations almost purely because of their stance on DRM (and likewise with GalCiv 2). I want to support developers who choose to trust their customers to be basically honest people who are happy to pay for a product if it's good enough and I've gone far enough to make purchases I probably wouldn't have otherwise. In Stardock's case this was mutually beneficial (they got money; I got awesome games), but even if I hated GalCiv or The Political Machine I'd still be glad on some level that I helped prop up a business model I agree with.

    Is price a factor for me? Sure. I'm far more likely to impulse buy a $20 (or less) game based solely on reviews than a $50 game. In fact, I almost never buy $50 games both because of the price and the large backlog of games I already own and still haven't even played through. Along those lines, I've probably spent more on apps & games for the iPod Touch since the App Store opened than I have on games this year. It's hard to say no to something that's only $1 or $5 or even $10, especially when they're just a click or two away. With that said, I did buy Portal (and the Orange Box) based almost exclusively a friend showing it off for about 5 minutes and that cost me like $60. It was worth every penny even considering I don't care for TF2 and haven't gotten around to Episode 2 yet. :)

    Based on personal observations, I think we can group pirates into three main groups. You have those who truly use piracy to sample games (or whatever the product may be) and buy what they like. Honestly, this is probably a small group compared to the others as it's kind of hard to justify spending money on something you already "have" other than the fact that it is the right thing to do. The second group pirates because they see no real value in what they're pirating. They'd pirate anything they can get away with. If something's cheap or good enough they may buy it if it's convenient, but I don't know if they could be counted on to do that consistently. Finally, you have compulsive pirates. They can't help but grab everything they can get their hands on regardless of what it is or how much it costs.

    The latter two groups are probably not worth worrying about/bothering with. You can't stop them--they'll find a way around any protection schemes you might come up with and even if you do perform a miracle and prevent their piracy of your product they probably won't buy it, anyway. If nothing else they'll turn to easier prey and then all you've done is annoy legitimate customers while doing very little to improve sales.

    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I have never heard of the games you made. I'll download them later tonight and take a look though.



    So,did you actually get any real answers yet?

    Democracy 2 is pretty rad.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Explanation for those of us who weren't there at the time? As far as I can tell it looks like one of those fake Star-Trek Klingon knives right?

    Its just a random picture on his blog.

    .

    There was a heated argument about something unimportant on SE++ and he was pretty much the only one opposed to said argument. So, someone posted that picture and said: "This is the guy you're arguing with." then it turned into a thread about bashing him.

    Not to hijack, but that's what happened.

    This is a good topic, but I think the answer is simply this: People are cheap and would rather get something for nothing.

    Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddMadd Registered User
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    This is mad. Every single response you get will be 'I dont want to pay for this' and there is nothing you can change about your game to rectify this other than give it away for free.

    This really, some people just don't want to pay. No matter what else you do some people will, when given the option not to pay, just take it without a second (or indeed first) thought. Even if some form of unbreakable game came along (yeah yeah impossible I know, hypothetical and all that) some in this category might buy the game, but all that would likely happen is that they'd just not play the game as for them its a case of 'free or nothing'.

    Although I would say that if theres some intrusive and/or annoying copy protection/DRM etc attached to a game that pirating can get round relatively simply (especially if its seen as easier to pirate than jump through the hoops that the game makes you), then you might start getting some pirating who would otherwise buy.

    Madd on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh hay guys

    knife1.jpg

    Man, that picture is going to haunt him forever on these boards.

    Explanation for those of us who weren't there at the time? As far as I can tell it looks like one of those fake Star-Trek Klingon knives right?

    Its just a random picture on his blog.

    .

    There was a heated argument about something unimportant on SE++ and he was pretty much the only one opposed to said argument. So, someone posted that picture and said: "This is the guy you're arguing with." then it turned into a thread about bashing him.

    Not to hijack, but that's what happened.

    This is a good topic, but I think the answer is simply this: People are cheap and would rather get something for nothing.

    Actually, it was in G&T, in the Canadian Copyright thread. Apparently, anyone opposed to overreaching DRM is a filthy pirate, etc etc, eThuggery abound, and then as posted above.

    Oh and he told a few mods to STFU, which was intelligent.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • darleysamdarleysam UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I pay for games because I can afford to, it just means I'm discerning about what I buy.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think a lot of piracy works like this - this is from anecdotal experience.

    Tom wishes to play games. Sometimes he has money, more often than not he doesn't. If he really budgeted himself, he could purchase the games he really wanted, but not all of them and certainly not when it mattered, a week or two when it is first released.

    Tom also likes to be well versed/experience a lot of games. Sometimes this is the case for pirates, most of the time not, but I think it's interesting.

    Tom downloads games. The real blockbusters are played till the end, but most of the time he never finishes a game. He has a binder of 200 cds, but has played each one for 4-5 hours.

    That's what I tend to see around me. If they didn't have a a mod chip or some sort of device to do this, then they wouldn't buy the games at all and would probably wait till they dropped in price, aside from the blockbusters.

    SkyGheNe on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also,I laugh at developers who go into their forums and when people write about really bad technical problems the developers write stuff like "Well,maybe you should BUY the retail version instead of playing a pirated version!". Yes,sure, it's not that you guys put out a crappy game or failed to do any real QA, no,of course everyone pirated your games.

    Edit: I thought we could be open here,my shrink told me to be open,why can't you let me open up, apotheos?

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I only pirate games I've already paid full price for in the past, games that I've played on other platforms that ended up being ported.
    I just don't see why I should pay twice.

    Zilla360 on
    Skidzilla360.jpg | NH844lc.png | GACSALB.jpg My Blog | Gravatar | PSN | 72INGtl.jpg | HkSlskT.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2008

    Actually, it was in G&T, in the Canadian Copyright thread. Apparently, anyone opposed to overreaching DRM is a filthy pirate, etc etc, eThuggery abound, and then as posted above.

    Oh and he told a few mods to STFU, which was intelligent.

    Please stop derailing this thread with this line of inquiry.

    Please don't consider this request as me disagreeing with you either (pretty please), but I'm here to maintain order and this is just a ad hominem slide into despair.

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2008
    Reminders: no personal anecdotes about actually pirating

    No discussion on how to pirate, or places that help people pirate

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I just don't see why I should pay twice.

    because it's a different product? when I wanted to play dark messiah and my pc wasn't working I went and bought the X Box version because it is a different product and there's no real basis for me not paying for it other than "well I don't want to".

    Moral justifications for piracy are almost always awful.

    Tube on
  • PbPb Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find many pirates on the PA boards. Compared to a lot of forums I've poked around, the PA G&T crew seems to be (in general) the most mature, well-mannered bunch of posters I've found. This kinda' suggests to me that they either don't pirate, or if they do, they do it really well.

    You say that, Apo says this (as he definitely should):
    apotheos wrote: »
    Reminders: no personal anecdotes about actually pirating

    No discussion on how to pirate, or places that help people pirate

    So I think you need to realise that there's a difference between people not talking about in on PA because we're mature and pay for games, and not talking about it because you'd be banned pretty quickly. For the record, I don't pirate, but Chance's statement made me lol irl. I just don't think PA is some bastion of morality in regards to pirating, or at least there's no proof of it.

    Pb on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd buy the Touhou Project games if the maker would sell the damn things in the West. XBLA and Wiiware kick and scream for shumps.

    Cantido on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some people just can't actually afford the games and think "Well, when I have a better job, I'll go back and pay for it."

    Mai-Kero on
    nigh.jpg
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One common answer is probably GREED. People want more than they have or can have on their own. That was my problem. It's a different story now for me, but that's because of my faith and it's moral exhortations.

    For an indie developer, my guess would be if you have:
    1. Set a reasonable price for the product
    2. Released a demo which lets me taste the MAJOR game mechanics to see if I like them (That is- if you have driving levels, but I don't get to play one- I don't know how your game handles driving levels)
    and
    3. Found a way to give me incentive to buy through extras (cloth map in Neverwinter Nights) or even an instruction book containing an art section.

    You know, for a small developer, maybe for number 3 you mail everyone who registers their serial number something extra, like box art signed, I don't know, I'm thinking "out loud."

    The deck is stacked against you, so I think your OP is a step in a good direction toward creative problem solving. Good luck!

    Sharp10r on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Some people just can't actually afford the games and think "Well, when I have a better job, I'll go back and pay for it."

    Which again, is pretty shitty justification no? If you can't afford nice things, you don't get to have nice things. That's how our society works. You don't just get to have things because you want them. The guy who said "I downloaded Oblivion to try it out and deleted it after a week" is a fun example too. You can finish and conquer around 90% of games, including Oblivion, in a week. You didn't download it to try it out. You just took it.

    If you want to try a game out, buy it. If you want to know if you'll like it before you buy it, read reviews, ask your friends if it is good. If you don't want to play games without demos, just don't play them. Do your part in telling devs that not having a demo is uncool. If you buy the game and hate it, that's your bad luck. I bought Hitman 2, it sucked ass, I still have it and I'm not particularly mad because I understand that every time you buy a game you run the risk of it sucking ass.

    Tube on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2008
    I find piracy particularly silly in that pretty much any game (maybe excluding the Halos and GTAs of the world) will sooner or later cost basically fuck all to buy. No one is asking you to drop full price on a game if you're not sure if you'll like it. Be a grown up and wait until it's in the bargain bin. You can buy some of the best games ever made for ten dollars.

    Tube on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As I've gotten older, I've largely stopped pirating things. I don't illegally download music anymore, and I haven't pirated games either. I started to have too much to lose if I got caught, and furthermore, I started to respect the developers who were working on the games.

    A big grey area for me, though exists in both music and software: when the items are no longer in production and available for mainstream purchase. If I can buy something, I usually will. However, if the item is unavailable for purchase-- and I mean as a new, unmolested item, I start to get wary. Buying used is something I don't mind from my local EB, where I can take it back if there's a problem; but buying a copy of a game/music only to find it's scratched and the seller doesn't care; I'm not willing to waste my cash.

    This is becoming a little less common now with Steam/Gametap resurrecting the classics, but Direct Download has always scared me, quite frankly. There's always a back-of-my-mind fear that my software, that I paid for, will disappear.

    tl;dr: My opinion is that if a company is not making an active effort to make their software available, piracy shouldn't be an issue for them. If you want money for your products, make them easily available to me. No jumping through hoops, no eBay sellers, no complex internet searches and hiked prices for this rare piece of plastic, just sell me your product.

    EDIT:
    I find piracy particularly silly in that pretty much any game (maybe excluding the Halos and GTAs of the world) will sooner or later cost basically fuck all to buy. No one is asking you to drop full price on a game if you're not sure if you'll like it. Be a grown up and wait until it's in the bargain bin. You can buy some of the best games ever made for ten dollars.

    So true. My original copies of Splinter Cell and Halo cost me all of 10 bucks. When the used copies are available, fair priced, and backed by a quality guarantee, go used.

    JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

    I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think there is also a lot of peer pressure, like people being laughed at by their friends for actually buying games if "you can just download em for free,dawg!" or even on this very forum, when there is a thread about this hot new game and everyone is talking about it and gushing over how "awesome and pants tightening" this is and you can't participate because you can't buy the game right now.

    Sure,it's the right thing to wait until you can,but come on, we all now that there are loads of people who break under this kind of "pressure".

    Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I pirated Rayman 2, on the Dreamcast. I bought the literally broken PC version, and fuck you Ubisoft.

    I also 'pirated' the PC version of King Kong. Starforce...

    My Alpha Centauri disc broke, and I couldn't find a new one, so I 'pirated' that too, although I ended up buying another copy next time I saw it.

    I play a bunch of Snes/megadrive games I own on emulators too.

    I backed up all my oxbox games and mostly played them off the hard drive, not having to worry about discs, and shorter load times for the win. I do the same with all my DVDs, and my DS games.


    Basically, if you offer your product to customers without DRM, or with good DRM (Steam, for example), and are open and honest about the software they are buying then there is not many legitimate excuses for piracy.


    Edit:
    I find piracy particularly silly in that pretty much any game (maybe excluding the Halos and GTAs of the world) will sooner or later cost basically fuck all to buy. No one is asking you to drop full price on a game if you're not sure if you'll like it. Be a grown up and wait until it's in the bargain bin. You can buy some of the best games ever made for ten dollars.

    ^This. I have gotten pretty much every 360 game I wanted to play from it's first 18 months, and some more recent all for under £10 by just being patient. Some I disliked, and some I loved.

    Edit2: I have 'pirated' a few games for benchmark purposes, to see if it will run well enough on my PC whenever it hasn't had a demo, and either deleted it if it won't run well, or deleted it and bought it if it did. Min spec is often a terrible guide these days.

    LewieP on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2008
    If you don't want to buy a game because it has starforce, don't buy it. Be a man. Don't go and pirate it because wah wah starforce.

    Tube on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I bought one of this guy's games. Democracy 2, to be precise.

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't purchase my games out of any sense of freaking morality. As far as I'm concerned IP laws are pretty broken as they currently stand (but that's a WHOLE other issue).

    I purchase games because if I like a game enough to want it, then I want sequels for it, more games along the same lines, and more products from that same developer. I want them to know that this is a good thing and I'm willing to pay to get more of it in future. "Good" or "Evil" doesn't come into it, I'm doing this so that I get to have fun.

    It's also in particular why I make a point of purchasing the indie games that I've tried demos for and enjoyed. Honestly, there have been one or two games that weren't that great, that I wouldn't ordinarily purchased if they were from a big name developer. But I bought them from an indie because I want to get something better in future using the same concept.

    subedii on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't buy the GTA pack with all the games until I got it for less than $10.

    Tetris DS and Clubhouse Games and other assorted portable first party games that are out of print, however...

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really think piracy is rather simple. Now keep in mind that I do not pirate myself, but I have a few friends that do.

    I think it falls into three categories.

    A) They would rather have the game for free, because free IS free and it's extremely easy to click a link and d/l the game.

    B) They hate the company that produces the game, but still want to play said game. So they pirate it to "Stick it to the man."

    C) They want to try out the game before they buy. If they don't like it, they obviously won't buy it, so they fall under the category of simple pirates.

    I really don't think you can change a pirates' mind with mere words. There simply just are people out there that don't want to pay for a game and will not pay for a game as long as it remains easy to pirate and escape litigation.

    The few times I do it it's
    D) They want the game, and would like to legitimately purchase it but it's difficult to find and no longer in print.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you don't want to buy a game because it has starforce, don't buy it. Be a man. Don't go and pirate it because wah wah starforce.

    Yeah? I did buy it. I tried to pirate it because even when I tried to install it the legit copy would not run. I don't have any issue with cracking or pirating a game that I've already frigging paid for. Yes I know, it drives piracy figures up, abloo abloo. Sod it, I bought it, I am GOING to try and play it.

    subedii on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you don't want to buy a game because it has starforce, don't buy it. Be a man. Don't go and pirate it because wah wah starforce.

    They never told you on the box if it had starforce, a lot of the time I only found out after buying it. If the law was properly enforced I would have been able to get a refund, but I would basically have to take the publisher to court to ever get that, and lord knows they would be able to outlaywer me.

    LewieP on
«13456716
Sign In or Register to comment.