B]PAX is here! The Cosplayanning is at hand![/BThe Meet-up!
Friday looks to be everyone's prefered day to get together, so at 12:30 come on down to Freeway park behind the convention centre (you can't miss it, walk out the glass doors at the back of the convention centre and witness the smoker's commune) whether you're in costume or just want to have a gawk at the weirdos. If you're camera shy you may want to avoid being there, but we all know cosplayers are attention whores. Go forth and Represent.Other Important Things!
-For those of you unable to make it in costume for Friday, there will a second Meet-Up on Saturday
at the same time and place.
-In the event of unclement weather, the meeting will take place in the main foyer which is the largest space that isn't normally in use (the large area with some seats, reception desk and elevators as you walk in through the front glass doors). Be warned however that we may be asked to move on due to health and safety reasons if there are a lot of us. Hopefully that won't be a problem as the weather for PAX so far has always been good.
-Be prepared for lots of pictures
-You don't have to be dressed as a Team Fortress character to come along
, they just happen to be the largest group of people representing one game.
-If you have trouble finding the meeting area, ASK! People in costume or Enforcers are prime candidates for seeking directions. Simply ask where Freeway park is.
-Be civil, safe, responsible and most of all, have a ton of fun!
=======The Team Fortress 2 Roster:
Please PM me if you want to be added to the Roster, with username, team and class.Red Team
Sniper: Evilbadman's GF
Sniper: GrantBlue Team
Scout: Farout Foolio/ Farout Foolio's GF
Engineer: Farout Foolio/ Farout Foolio's GF
Spy: [VictoriouS]Loon (After failing to get decent Red material)No team/Partially decided
Demoman or Soldier: Snapty
Engineer: Ogrebeef, because he plays for both teams!
=====What this thread is about
PAX: A geek superconvention that celebrates games and gamers alike. For some reason some people like to show their love of games and immerse themselves culture by dressing up like their favourite icons. Whilst there seems to be a love/hate relationship with cosplay at PAX, I think it's safe to say that it'll continue to be present in years to come and this year will be no exceptions. To that end, here's a thread to kick-off the planning for this years event.
1. To spread the fact that PAX does have cosplay attendence and inform any new-comers this year that if they wish to dress up for fun, it's ok! Whilst Jerry and Mike have often publically rolled their eyes and sighed, they know that cosplay is just as much a part of the community as playing and enjoying the games themselves. Well...at least that's what Jerry said when I spoke to him at PAX last year. "I think there's a place for it, and we'd never discourage anyone," or something to that effect. My memory isn't word perfect.
2. To help those that wish to get their costume on for PAX; whether it be ideas, finding resources, construction tips or anything else that would benefit potential costumed attendees. It may seem early but some costumes, depending on how elaborate they are, can take months to put together.
3. To show that we're not entirely
weird, failed drama geeks, attention whores or whatever else people think is wrong with an adult dressing up for fun. Everyone will have personal reasons for doing it, but above all else I like to think it's because the people doing it find it enjoyable and it spreads fun across the convention. I know I got a metric fuckton of pictures taken either by myself or with other attendees who wanted a photo memory, even having my image put up on newsites
and being interviewed by the media. Some people seem to think it's cool and fun, even if they don't want to cosplay themeselves.
There were some wonderful costumes at PAX last year and several newsites put up pictures of their favourites. I had it in my head to dress up for PAX because I really wanted to get steeped in it and I thought others might find it cool. It's not like Disneyland or other themed attraction where you can take your picture with a mascot run by the company, PAX is just the gathering place and we bring our own fun. I hope people enjoyed the pictures they took, and even though I couldn't go 10 feet without a photo op, I never got tired of it because people just thought it was so cool to see a character they liked walking around. In some ways I feel obligated to show up again this year in costume, but first and foremost I want to for myself.
Unfortunately I had more pictures taken of me than I took myself (I didn't take any), so I feel rather ashamed that I couldn't start a thread with wonderful images of Penny Arcadians in full get-up. Here's another link to Kotaku's coverage
of the cosplay at PAX. There were plenty more examples but it provides an idea of what we're all about.
----Things this thread is not:
1. An oppurtunity to discourage other people from dressing up because you think it's silly, moronic or you're just plain mean. Let people have their fun -- it's not hurting anyone
2. An opportunity to post far too many pictures of yourself from last years convention and generally being narcissitic or annoying. This is a thread about the coming PAX, not a reflection. We already had a thread for last year. Talk about plans, help others, make some friends. Don't be a douche. You can show a picture of yourself from last year just so people recognise who's posting and so people know what you can pull-off when you try.
With that being laid out, I was this weirdo:
An attempt at Naked Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3. I'll talk more about my plans for this year in another post. The thread is open to everyone else. Enjoy! Make awesomes happen!
====Thread UpdatesB]Update 11 August '09[/B
Updated Team rosters. Don't forget to mention a good meet-up day and time for yourself. Looks like the park area at the back of the convention hall will be the place to be.B]Update 3 August '09[/B
Looks like Saturday will most likely be the day of Cosplay. We're still trying to iron out the details but a huge meet-up around mid-day is the plan at least. Be there or be lame!B]Update 10 June '09[/B
I've made a brief post on page 15 about why I won't be at PAX this year. This doesn't affect the thread and I still want your PMs for getting added to the roster and your posts to show us how awesome you are. Not long 'til PAX now!B]Update 2 May '09[/B
Since we seem to have a contingent of TF2 cosplayers attending, we decided to compile them all into a list. Just PM your class and team to get added to the roster. Hopefully if there's enough people some wacky hijinks will ensue.[Update 26 March '09]
We're currently exploring the idea that a meet-up of cosplayers might be a good idea, whether it be just for a photo-op or something more elaborate like a night out in full regalia so we can embarass ourselves more fully. Please feel free to make suggestions about things to do or what you'd like
to do for a social gathering. A little skit or public performance is almost certainly out of the question because of health and safety regulations and the need to keep floor traffic moving.