Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] KotS: "What do your halfling eyes see?" "God damnit! Our eyes are the sa

FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Critical Failures
Keep on the Shadowfell
(Play by Post 4E D&D Campaign: Game Thread)
bannerosb.jpg
thepartya.jpg
Aylden Wildstrider, Elven Cleric (Played by LastSon)
Azulan, Half-Elf Paladin (Played by LightRider)
Jannys Carter, Human Druid (Played by ArcSyn)
Gavin Dorne, Halfling Rogue (Played by Thetheroo)
Sheen, Shifter Ranger (Played by GrimmyTOA)
thestory.jpg

This adventure originates in the village of Winterhaven, a tiny hamlet with a population barely approaching 1000. The Lord's guard is less than a dozen strong, kobolds and brigands plague the surrounding countryside, and the town is nearly shut out from the outside world. What better place for an up-and-coming band of adventurers to make their mark? Maybe they can do some good in this town...
winterhavenmapsmall.jpg


The town is led by Lord Ernest Padraig. He is descended from the noble family that ruled the area under the edict of the old empire. Folks around Winterhaven were happy with Lord Padraig's father's authority, and they have found answering to the rules of the new lord no more arduous.

The party received a letter from the Lord asking for aid. His writing was vague, surely intentionally so, and simply asked for assistance in escorting a "critical package." Not the types to turn down such a hefty reward as the Lord promised, they have set out for Winterhaven to hear the Lord's full request.

We join them only hours away from their destination. The sun is high in the sky, thin wisps of chimney smoke dance on the horizon, and the road stretches lazily onward.

It's a fine day to make a fortune delivering luxury goods to fat noblemen.


miscinfo.jpg

Character sheets are to remain up-to-date on the Myth Weavers website, and all rolls will be carried out on Invisible Castle.

This thread is for both in-character talk and out-of-character ramblings. Please keep OOC text wrapped in spoilers, including roll statistics. Linking verbs and such to your rolls is perfectly fine, but please keep the nitty gritty details of the d20 system in your spoilers--it will help to keep us all in character.

The post requirement is the usual one post per weekday minimum, but more frequent activity is certainly welcome and encouraged. That said, real life is a son of a bitch, and if you need to be away from the game for a period of time, please let me or someone else know.

For short absenses (a day or so), you can send your turn intentions and rolls to a fellow party member, who will act on your behalf. For extended absenses (more than a day), I recommend you hand control over to someone else to avoid me rolling/acting on your behalf.

Extended, unreported inactivity will result in me taking over your character and eventually replacing it using a bank of reserves.

For those of you who have run Keep on the Shadowfell before or plan to in the future, worry not. The only thing that will remain entirely constant here are some of the maps, some names, and the overall story-line. How you actually get there is entirely up to you, and even if you've run KotS several times before, you'll find plenty to surprise you here.

That being said, let's begin what promises to be a truly epic adventure... roll dem bones!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
Figgy on
«13456739

Posts

  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    WOOOOOOOO!

    LightRider on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chapter 1
    Assuring reputations...

    The sun beats down on Old King's Road as the adventurers head west toward Winterhaven. Aylden takes Lord Padraig's letter from his pack, quickly glancing over it one more time.

    The allure of the words "handsome salary" are lessened somewhat by the mention of the mysterious "critical package." Still, the group is used to a little bit of danger, which the letter's vague details almost promise to deliver.

    As the adventurers make their way toward the wisps of chimney smoke dancing on the horizon, the wind dies down to a mere draft. The unkempt foliage along the road rustles slightly, and the path grows more obscure but is still easy to follow.
    Feel free to role play it up. You're making your way toward Winterhaven. I'll interject when everyone has had a chance to participate

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    Azulan walked down the road, vigilant, but with his eyes on the rest of the party. He never imagined he would wind up with this lot, but Bahamut had seen to it that he was with them, and he took comfort in that. He carried nothing more than his sword, his symbol and his armor, having lost everything else in a previous adventure. A test by his god, no doubt. He would endure, his faith would allow for nothing more. His companions implored him to partake of their rations, but he would take not but water to keep his throat moist, ready to give orders in battle.

    He thought about the task at hand. He hesitated to go on a mission with such little information, but the group needed the work, and the opportunity to defeat the dark forces at work in these lands would not go untaken.

    LightRider on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sariela, traveling with her companions, felt oddly at ease.

    I never expected this. Dorne and Roscoe seem easy enough to get along with, for all that they're nearly complete opposites of me. The former carries himself well enough, though there is an irritating jingle to his step. She smiles easily at him, asking;

    "Just how many weapons are you carrying, Dorne? Your pack rustles as bad as your coinpurse!"

    Before he can reply, she turns to face forward again and notices Aylden rereading the recruitment letter yet again. There's an interesting one, she thinks to herself sardonically. So terribly elven, to become a cleric. At least he's out here in the world instead of climbing trees all day.

    Her gaze falls upon Azulan, and she frowns. So serious, that one. So rigid and formal, when's the last time I saw him laugh? I'm not sure that's even happened once. Anyone looking at the five of us would assume we were the most alike, but we are so different.

    ... And what gives him the right to copy my choice of weapon? Hmmph. She chuckles below her breath, fully aware of how absurd the notion is.

    Looking forward to a great game with you all =)

    Rius on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Roscoe did his best to keep up with the rest of the group, sometimes slowing in his pace as he began wondering about this thing or that, only to find the rest of the group ahead of him. This, of course, forced him to hurry along, catching up and offering an embarrassed smile to anyone that noticed. The conversation was sparse so far, an idle comment here or there and that was it. The halfling noted the priest at the front, going over the letter that had them walking down this particular road. It seemed as though everyone was focused on what might lay ahead of them.

    Moving up beside his fellow halfling, Dorne, he was unable to stifle a chuckle at the remark made. With another jump in his step, he arrived close by the party's most fearsome and yet most lovely member. In a way, he sympathized with her more than anyone else, they were both often looked over or dismissed, but for different reasons, "It is a lovely day, don't you think? A tad warmer than I would prefer, but still we seem to be making progress."

    Roscoe offered a small smile, glancing down at the ground before him and slowly drifting back to his thoughts, his pace slowing once more.
    This is my first PbP, so please pardon any mistakes on my part. I'll try to learn as quickly as possible.

    EDIT: Sorry, almost forgot to add in the roll for Wild Soul.

    Wild Soul damage type. (1d10=7)

    7 is Poison.

    MiSTieOtaku on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dorne glanced back at Sariela with a wry smile, "As much as needed, better to feel a little discomfort on the road then be dead in a ditch because I didn't have enough weaponry."

    Smiling to himself, he looked over the countryside. The combination of no enemies in sight, no storm clouds in the sky, and the promise of a full coinpurse once the job was complete all served to heighten his mood. He muttered a quick prayer to Sehanine and turned to look over the beautiful landscape. It's times like this that made him glad he choose the life of an adventurer.
    My first PbP as well, if I screw anything up then just let me know.

    Thetheroo on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aylden carefully refolds the letter and tucks it into his belt pouch. Enjoying the feeling of the sun and wind he tilts his head back and thinks how different this was from his first trip out into the world. He and his companions were actually respected by most and could talk openly of what they had accomplished, indeed some even asked to hear their tales.

    Closing his eyes, Aylden walks along the path lost in his reminiscing.

    Last Son on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    There is no harm in being well prepared for combat, Azulan said aloud. However, do not be surprised when your enemy springs from unseen places, having heard you from miles away.

    Azulan did not talk much, preferring instead to listen to their banter and interject where he saw fit. He certainly admired those with the gift of great words, but understood that action was what got him through the dark places in life.

    He continued on, admiring the barbarian's sword, hoping to match her prowess in the adventures to come.

    LightRider on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gavin grinned wolfishly, but let the remark slide. He knew full well his abilities in the shadows, and if he kept a watchful eye it would be the rare beast indeed that could sneak up on him.

    Thetheroo on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The party approaches a steep hill in the road. From atop, they notice the path stretching only a few miles until it reaches the stone walls of Winterhaven.

    As they continue on, the road begins to become more and more weathered. Suddenly, some foliage to the left of the party rustles unnaturally.
    Carry on.. feel free to roll checks and investigate as you see fit.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As the party crests the hill Aylden breaks out of his reverie.

    "Ah, there is Winterhaven," he says as he gazes down at the town's walls "we should be there within the hour and be able to learn what it is that Lord Padraig wishes to pay us so handsomely for."

    Last Son on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yawning and stretching, Sariela observes the remaining distance to Winterhaven and sighs. I really should get a horse or something, walking can be so... what was that?

    She notices the leaves rustling against the wind and looks toward them, halfway bored, halfway alert against possible danger.
    For the record, my italics are Sariela's inner monologue; I'll put quotes around anything she's actually saying =)

    Perception Check 1d20+5=15

    Pfft, nailed the passive.

    Rius on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gavin blunders by the noise, paying it no attention.
    Perception Check 1d20+4=5 It's a 6 if you count Last Son's bonus. Well, isn't this a wonderful start, missed my passive by a mile.

    Thetheroo on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Roscoe snapped out of his short moment of introspection, catching back up with the rest of the group and smiling at the sight of the walls, "Not much farther now. Soon we'll have a chance to rest our tired feet and have some cool to drink."

    He looked up at Aylden, offering a small shrug and innocent smile, "Surely we can take a short rest before we visit this Lord Padraig?"

    There was a rustle in the bushes, but Roscoe paid it no mind. Obviously it was just the wind.
    Perception Check (1d20-1=7) Thought I'd give it a shot. Ah well.

    MiSTieOtaku on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Ah perhaps you are right, no need to rush to meeting the Lord. An evening at the tavern could..." Aylden trails off as he notices the rustling to the side of the road.

    Last Son on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    Azulan, hearing the rustling, instantly whips around and takes careful note of the location.
    hears rustling (1d20+2=22) 23 if it makes a difference...
    Boom! First roll! Bahamut smiles on me this day...

    LightRider on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention that anyone within 5 squares of me(probably everyone) gets a +1 bonus on perception checks.

    Last Son on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aylden and Sariela...
    You can tell that something caused the bush to stir, and it was larger than typical wildlife.

    Azulan...
    Whatever was in the bushes has headed north. You also heard a slight sinking sound in the earth, and you could tell the foot steps were muffled. Whatever it was was wearing shoes...

    Roscoe and Gavin...
    Grass is green!

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    In the bushes, stand ready!

    Azulan readies his weapon and steels himself for action.

    Who goes there!

    LightRider on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn it, what was that? Are we being watched?

    Sariela pulls a javelin out from the quiver at her hip and holds it ready, pushing her way through the bushes to the north, ready to hurl it should a suitable foe present itself.
    Do I get another perception check? Here's one if I do.

    Perception Check (1d20 5=16)

    Leetle better!

    Rius on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The band of adventurers has stopped on the path, alerted by the noise in the bushes nearby.

    MAP
    rounda.jpg

    NOTES
    The trees provide cover for anyone standing in them, but line of sight/effect is not changed, and it is not difficult terrain.

    The rocks provide superior cover for anyone standing behind them, and they require a DC 15 Athletics check to hop on top. Once on them, they are difficult terrain to move on the same rock. (3 4x4 squares and the 1 square in the North)
    Feel free to take a turn in any order you like.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is the noise coming from the bushes at G-11 and H-10/11?

    Gavin stops admiring the pretty green grass when he notices his comrades preparing for battle. He draws his short sword and makes sure his shurikens are at the ready.

    Thetheroo on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, the noise was from the bushes where Sariela is investigating.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sariela sheathes her javelin and steps out from the bushes, moving northwest into the open area and unhooking the greatsword from her back. She looks back toward the party and silently nods her head at Azulan, all petty concerns forgotten about for the moment.

    With cutting hand motions, she indicates for everyone to spread out and check the surrounding area.
    Move: to G8

    2x Minors: sheathe javelin, draw greatsword.

    Free: Everybody spread out, ya'll =P

    Rius on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aylden swiftly moves to the nearest rock and attempts to jump up on top of it, unfortunately it appears he is more used to climbing trees than boulders and halfway up slips and falls heavily back to the ground.

    Muttering an elven curse under his breathe he dusts the dirt off his robe with one hand and unhooks his mace from his belt with the other.
    Move: go to K6 and attempt to climb onto the rock.
    climb the rock (1d20 2=3) FAIL

    Minor: Draw mace

    Last Son on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aylden
    Passive perception

    As you move up to the rock, you notice a section of the path beside you has been disturbed.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Roscoe seemed terribly surprised as everyone started pulling out weapons. He certainly hadn't noticed anything. However, not wanting to be taken unawares and attacked by some sort of terrible creature, he quickly moved, circling around and dropping his staff and pulling the dagger from its sheath at his belt. He held it at the ready, waiting for something happen.
    Move to M7, x2 minors to switch staff out with dagger.

    Also, as a note I have a real D&D game tonight so this might be my only post for the day. If combat starts tonight, I'm sure someone can take over for me until I get back.

    MiSTieOtaku on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gavin headed the warning, and quickly headed to a prime location between the rocks and the bushes. While doing so he quickly drew forth his short sword and scanned the area around him.
    The previous post was just flavor, here's the real stats of what I'm doing.
    Move to F8
    Minor: Draw Short Sword
    Perception Check: 1d20+4=23

    Thetheroo on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gavin
    As you move toward the rock, to the right of the path, you also notice that the dirt on the road has been disturbed. You see a faint checkered pattern under the dirt.

    Next up: Azulan
    I'll post an updated map once LightRider takes his turn

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    Seeing his allies move into position, Azulan quickly moves through the trees to flush out anyone who may be hiding there and arrives at what seems to be a tactically sound position. He takes note of what he sees and calls out anything important to his waiting friends.
    Move: I10->H10->H11->G11->G10
    Perception check: Perception (1d20+2=14)
    Free: Tell them I see some trees and rocks or whatever=)

    LightRider on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    After going over the map again, I realize we're all kind of in one line...didn't think of that before, sorry!
    Edit: Fixed! Hope you don't mind.

    LightRider on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Aylden
    Passive perception

    As you move up to the rock, you notice a section of the path beside you has been disturbed.
    Disturbed how? Like 'many creatures have passed this way' disturbed or 'something was buried here' disturbed?

    Last Son on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MAP
    roundb.jpg

    Suddenly two stones come flying toward Gavin, but they miss completely, shattering on the rocks in front of him. A third rock hits Azulan square in an unprotected area between his armor plates.

    "It's them!" cries a voice from somewhere ahead.
    Two shots miss Gavin. Azulan is hit with a stone for 5 damage.

    Azulan 26/31

    Roll Initiative!

    I'll be unable to post till Monday, so this is a nice suspense point ;)

    Regarding the disturbed earth, it's the 10 foot region on the path that looks a bit odd on the map... like someone was messing about in the dirt.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gavin ducks as the rocks go flying past, he was lucky. He mutters a swift curse under his breath and prepares himself for the battle ahead.

    Thetheroo on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sariela hears the impact of a few stones against the rocks and whirls around just in time to see a third projectile strike Azulan. What a great big target he makes... there!

    Noticing an enemy in the treeline, she levels her greatsword at him and makes eye contact. Yes, you will be the first to die.

    Rius on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Roscoe jumped as rocks started flying and one struck Azulan. Though normally not particularly observant, in this moment he saw the origin of the rocks. Pointing his dagger at it, he prepared to unleash the chaotic energies constantly roiling through him.
    Initiative (1d20+3=22) Double Booyah!

    MiSTieOtaku on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2009
    Azulan grimaces, and is momentarily lost in thought as to how there became such a large gap in his armor.
    Init (1d20=9) Un-booyah-licious.
    Can't wait!

    LightRider on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aylden tightens his grip on his mace and calls out "Be careful! I believe the path is trapped."

    Last Son on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Been away for the holiday weekend, but I'll post the encounter when I get home this afternoon. Sorry for the wait guys!

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's cool, no rush. And I have a question about the supposed "trap." Do I have to precisely know it's a trap in order to disarm it? Or can I just use a thievery check on the spot in order to disarm it?

    Thetheroo on
Sign In or Register to comment.