Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Siege of Nifbludheim Brewery (Dungeons and Dwarves in-game thread)

StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice,To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Singularity Engine++
This is the in game thread for the D&D game I'm running. As such, while I can't prevent any of you from posting in it, I'd kinda prefer it if you didn't, or at least not, y'know, a whole lot. I'm aware that it's SE++ and all that, so it's not like I'll be an ass about it, but if you wanna shit all over a thread, go find a different one please.

With that said, may I present:
The Siege of Nifbludheim Brewery

Our players are as follows:
Bruin Barrenstein, the shaman- Rank N. Phile
Diggin Deeper, the warlord- Arsen Icseven
Brunei Bahrain, the fighter- Cos “Micsom” Brero
Graniton Bedrock, the warlock- M. Elding
[strike]Seven Shots, the monk- Dea D.[/strike]
St. Arnu Oudenaard, the invoker- Horace S. Hoe
Darkrock Granitehill, the rogue- St. Ale

The adventure begins...

You, a hard working dwarf doing your hard work in the hard working dwarven city of Nifbludheim, are summoned from work by the king of the city, who is calling the top members of the city militia to arms. Coincidentally, you're one of the top men of the militia, so you do your dutiful dwarf duty and go to see the king at his kingly and dwarfly palace. Greeted by a dwarven butler/manservant, you are led into the War Room, where the king sits at a table, with plenty of seats for you to sit in as well. You choose one of them, alongside five of your other dwarven compatriots, and the king begins to speak.

“The Nifbludheim brewery, as you all know, is a world famous brewery, our pride and joy. As such, we keep it very well protected, under a number of magical wards to prevent unlicensed entry, that is, entry by those other than the brewmasters, and of course St. Arnu as well. These wards, although created by our finest dwarven wizards, are imperfect, and this morning, the brewmasters, in monitoring the wards, noted that they had been removed. They fled the brewery to a great deal of rumbling, fearing the worst. The brewery has since been barricaded shut, and we are authorizing the lot of you to break your way in and destroy whatever it is that took down our wards, as well as any other creatures that have snuck in in the process. Sound good?”

Straightzi on
«13456712

Posts

  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Try new InfernAle, a taste so decadent you know it has to be a sin.

    BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    oh dang this is starting already?

    fuck fuck gotta wrap up my homework, gimmie an hour

    Rankenphile on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh dang this is starting already?

    fuck fuck gotta wrap up my homework, gimmie an hour

    Take your time dude, it's play by post with like six players, everything will take forever

    Straightzi on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graniton hrphms as he scratches at his beard. The prospect of smashing into the brewery with untold dangers while somewhat attractive on the surface becomes far more foolish when he realizes there is no stated reward or any other personal incentive as his pride in dwarven identity is some what lack luster.

    He scratches at his once before clearing his throat to speak.

    "Aye, That is quite the mighty offer there My lord, but what may we expect in return for helping restore the brewery to it's workable state after throwing our selves into the way of untold horrors?"

    The warlock fall silent once more, hoping that the impromptu tour of the brewery is far from the only reward.
    Would that be a diplomacy check?
    rolled an eight, plus 6. 14 total. if it is. ignore this if it isn't.

    Melding on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Well, it's your duty of course, but I am sure the brewmasters would happily reward you, both with their own stock and other treasures. And you may keep the bodies and possessions of anything or anyone you manage to defeat within the brewery."

    Straightzi on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With a greedy glint in his eye, Brunei leans forward, saying "Aye, I'm nay giving away me valuable services for free, even if means the world is a brewery poorer."

    Sitting back in his chair, Brunei folds his arms across his chest, looking pensive. "Ye say ye don't know how yer wards disappeared, aye? Is it possible one o' yer workers might have sabotaged them? Also, forgive me for my ignorance, but who is this St. Arnu?"
    Also, character portrait.

    derfportrait2.jpg

    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I hardly think one of our workers would damage the brewery itself. Only the best brewmasters are allowed to even get near them, and they are guarded beyond that besides. An' if you rabble really have no sense of duty, well, perhaps I'll have to find different soldiers, and strip you lot of your militia badges. Mayhap cut off your beards while I'm at it, my badge slicing knife is mighty slippery."

    St. Arnu, for the record, is one of your compatriots. You'd be familiar with him, this isn't that big of a city.

    Straightzi on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graniton sits up a bit hearing the increasingly annoyed King's voice"Now now My Lord, Let's not get hasty. The lads and I just want to make sure that our kin are taken care of in the event that these fiends prove too much for any one of us. My wee ones aren't going to get much use out of my tour of the brewery if I'ma laying dead on it's floor."

    Coughs once as an excuse to give his beard a once over.

    "Ya have my services for the important task is what I'ma saying, hopefully this lot sees the importance too."

    Melding on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Bruin strokes his beard and shifts his totemic warhammer from fist to gnarled, filthy fist.

    "The stone grumbles of ill tidings. By my very beard, there's surface dwellers' mischief afoot. If any of you lads are planning an invesigation, you'll quickly meet a disastrous end if you're not cautious. Bongo and I will join your expedition to help lend my services to it, and may Grumbar have our backs."

    With that, he settles back against the wall, nodding to his invisible bear companion and searching the shadows as if listening for whispers.

    Rankenphile on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddammit Rank you named your spirit animal Bongo

    Straightzi on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Hmmm, well we have to keep the ale flowing for my crew. Keeps their spirits up when the going gets tough, 'sn't that right, m'boys? Did I ever tell you all about the time I was knee deep in rubble in the underdark with 'nary a torch and all I had wit' me for defense was me sturdy mug my grand father on me mo....(mumbles off into the background)..."

    "...anyway, I says we dig in from above!"

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Goddammit Rank you named your spirit animal Bongo
    he likes to steal pick-i-nick baskets

    Rankenphile on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is the one and only time I will straight-up admit to blue-dotting.

    Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seven Shots starts awake, having been passed out on the table for a good deal of the meeting. "Wha? Hern? Ah..." Seven Shots looks around, eyes blurry and half open. The monk looks over suspiciously at the king. "Hern. Righ'. Brewery. 'Shoul' look inna tha'."

    DE?AD on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "This breach of our sacred brewery shall not go unpunished!" shouted St. Arnu, rising to his full height of four and a half feet and spraying crumbs from his mouth, "It is a powerful enemy that trespasses in Nifbludheim... and I think it no coincidence that we have only just begun preparations for this Oktoberfest. Nefarious schemes are afoot, and these piss-drinking, puritanical, demonscumwhatevertheyares will suffer!"

    The Brewery Saint flopped his portly self back into his seat.

    "Excellent biscuits, by the way."
    Saint Arnu Oudenaard

    mdwarfa.png

    Level 8 Dwarf Invoker
    Init +6; Senses Perception +9
    Defenses AC 23, Fortitude 21, Reflex 19, Will 22
    HP 56; Bloodied 28; Surge Value 15; Surges/Day 10
    Speed 5 squares
    Melee Basic Magic Warhammer, +8 vs AC (1d10+2) or
    Melee Basic Unarmed, +5 vs AC (1d4+2) or
    Special Attacks Armor of Wrath, Rebuke Undead
    Special Actions Action Point, Second Wind
    Invoker Features Channel Divinity, Covenant of Wrath, Ritual Casting
    At Will Exploits Divine Bolts, Vanguard's Lightning
    Encounter Exploits (attacks) Astral Terror, Chains of Carceri, Invoke Obedience
    Encounter Exploits (utility) Demand Justice
    Daily Exploits (attacks) Binding Invocation of Chains, Icon of Terror
    Daily Exploits (utility) Shroud of Warning
    Abilities Str 13, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 8
    Feats Invoker Defense, Resonating Covenant, Scouring Wrath, Coordination Explosion, Implement Expertise
    Skills Acrobatics +3, Arcana +6, Athletics +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +14, Heal +9, History +11, Insight +14, Intimidate +3, Nature +9, Perception +9, Religion +14, Stealth +3, Streetwise +3, Thievery +3
    Possessions Adventurer's Kit, Ritual Book, Rod of Resurgent Valor +2, Rebuking Finemail +2, Amulet of Physical Resolve +2, Belt of Vigor (Heroic Tier), Magic Warhammer +1, 2 Potions of Healing (Heroic Tier), Rod.

    Background: Religious Scholar ("Characters of War", Dragon #366)



    Saint Arnu is currently the chief religious advisor to the Nifbludheim Brewery. Among his many duties are to make sure that the proper rites in the brewing of beers, barleywines and whiskeys are made, that kegs or bottles are marked correctly, and that the holidays of important deities are observed from every process... starting with the selection of grains to the uncorking of kegs. In the sacred Brewery there is not a barrel he has not blessed, nor bunghole he has not tapped.

    The Brewery Saint must ensure that each keg has just enough Wrath within it. Too much or too little and you might as well drink piss. Which, coincidentally, is the punishment for Inebrial Sins (the highest eschelon of transgressions).

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Yes, indeed. Well then, you are agreed, are you not? Or at least the most of you? Please, take the brewery back soon, we have precious little ale stored outside of the brewery storerooms, and a lack of it could be disastrous for my continuing reign."

    The king seems satisfied, and begins to pack up his things, which mostly involves going back to eating his lunch.

    Straightzi on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Alright, then. We'll need to secure several hundred yards of rope, five...no TEN shovels. We'll need back ups. A donkey, and several tins of those purple mushrooms. Nothing like purple foods to keep one's energy up.

    But for spirits...well...we need some SPIRITS! Isn't that right Oudenaard! AH HA!"

    *Diggin delivers a jovial pat on the back to the up tight dwarf*

    Horeshoe, I think that's a wonderful character idea, btw.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Precious li'l... Precious li'l ale?" Seven Shots shouts, jumping out of the chair and slamming two calloused hands down on the table. "We n'd t'go save the pooor booze! We m'st away a' ooonce!"

    DE?AD on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brunei shifts in his chair, uncomfortably aware of the five pitchers of ale neatly sealed up in his backpack.

    "A'ight then, let's be away. My axe is keening for blood, and who knows what those nasty beasties are doing while we sit around chatterin' like old maids?"

    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    "But... lunch."

    Rankenphile on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Well, of course. After lunch."

    Later, after lunch...

    "Excellent. Let's be off then."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    "You can't just say 'Later, after lunch...' and make me think that somehow I've eaten already! THat's not the way time works. Relax and have some lunch."

    (Bruin eats 2d6 pieces of lunch.)

    Rankenphile on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Damn. I really thought that was going to work. These biscuits are quite good, though."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "What are you two on about? Everyone here be crazy cept I." shakes his head and begins ratting, muttering to himself.

    Melding on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Try to enjoy your lunch, lad. Did you try the biscuits yet?"

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    "Try to enjoy your lunch, lad. Did you try the biscuits yet?"

    Brunei pounds his fist on the table. "We canna try any biscuits because you've eaten them all!"

    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I think Bearenstein over there has several in his pockets. Brewish, you know. Very thrifty."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The king looks up at you from his roast bird.

    "Well? Do not tell me you do not remember how to find your drunken way to the brewery. I'm sure you've been past it a thousand times. Get moving, there could be someone in there stealing the beer!"

    Straightzi on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Not to worry, O King. I promise you that I shall give my own life before I see an Oktoberfest when any Dwarf is sober. No teetotalitarian terrorists nor trespassers shall stop us!"

    A series of affirmative nods and grunts, followed by loud gasps and groans came from the table has the Brewery Saint stood up.

    "Oops. Sorry, that one was me. I've got a gluten intolerance but can't resist biscuits. Silent but deadly, it was."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Curse you. You have stumbled on my one weakness: the word teetotalitarian

    Straightzi on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User
    edited June 2009
    And with that, the Dwarf St'reit-zi burst into flames, revealing a large mass of cogs and levers.

    "Well, that's one less automaton spy among our numbers," the mighty warrior said, dusting off his hands. "I do love it when their secret self-destruct keyword is a word in common parlance."

    DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    *Diggin sprinkles a little soil from a pouch in his belt on a biscuit and stands up*

    "One for the road! Lets be off to wash this down with a little beer, then."

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graniton stands up form the table, wiping his mouth against his arm "Well lads, I will meet you all at the brewery then, we should work on our entry plans then."
    With that the warlock grabs his things and heads out, more to get away from he crazies then to actually get started on solving the mystery of the brewery.

    Melding on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    "I'm thinkin' The Stone doesn't really approve of my low blood-alcohol level. How are we supposed to fight light-livers if we can see straight?"

    Bruin gives a sidelong glance at the king.

    "Ya don't expect us to believe that all the ale you got is kept in the mines, do ya? A bit of the ol' brain grease sure would put us in a marching mood, I reckon."

    Rankenphile on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the sake of speeding things along:

    Gradually, you all manage to find your way to the front of the brewery. A large stone sign reads "NIFBLUDHEIM BREWERY: BREWERS OF FINE ALE AND SPIRITS" above a pair of two large, heavy looking oaken doors with iron bands, which are closed tight. The walls are all hewn stone and brickwork, of the fine dwarven craftsmanship you would of course expect, and a number of carved stone figures of dwarves drinking and brewing are worked into the stones around the doors.

    Straightzi on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    awww fine

    Rankenphile on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I'm thinkin' The Stone doesn't really approve of my low blood-alcohol level. How are we supposed to fight light-livers if we can see straight?"

    Bruin gives a sidelong glance at the king.

    "Ya don't expect us to believe that all the ale you got is kept in the mines, do ya? A bit of the ol' brain grease sure would put us in a marching mood, I reckon."

    "You will find ale a-plenty within the brewery, and perhaps the brewmasters do not keep perfect stock of things. Please, just take the damn thing back. We keep our recipes in there! And our secret ingredients! And other valuables I imagine, I do not go back there much myself."

    Straightzi on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rank stop posting simultaneously with me.

    Straightzi on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Bruin spends a moment conversing with the stone, trying to glean any information he can about the events that transpired here.

    perception (+15) or dungeoneering (+12) check, whichever you think is most appropriate

    result=17+applicable bonus

    Rankenphile on
«13456712
Sign In or Register to comment.