Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD4e] Mining Rites - IC Thread - Scoop Golem Rampage Incoming

HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
This is a Play-By-Post adventure for up to 5 players. Rolls are to be made on Invisible Castle, character sheets through myth-weavers.com.

This is the in-character thread. The thread for out-of-character chatter, rules queries and such is here!

----

Our heroes

Saurfang - Agar Deadeye (Orc Rogue)
hjparcins - Merombo, the Iron Bear (Shifter Shaman)
Rius - Sariela "The Tigress" (Shifter Druid)
Hermenegilde - Grumzog, Lightning Fury (Goblin Sorcerer)
cytorak - Carric (Elf Bard)

Brief History of the Conflict
It would be nice to say that, before the invaders came, the world Tuan was a utopia of civility, with all races at peace and working for the betterment of all, but sadly this was not the case. With no great unifying empires, tribe regularly fought tribe over issues of territory and honour.

Thirty years ago, the first invaders arrived. With a bright, purple flash of light, and thunderous vibrations that rocked the stones below through many miles of woodland, a huge fortress replaced a significant portion of the tribal lands of the Uinitak elves; this was the first stronghold of The Second Talithain. Within a month of the arrival of the Eladrin, the Uinitak had been enslaved or eliminated, with their tribal lands converted into an otherworldly mix of towns, farmland and industry.

In coming years, more tiefs arrived, scattered across the landscape of Tuan; each tief a deathknell for the sanctity of the natives nearby. Vast tracts of land have been surrendered to the invaders, as their power and resources dwarf that of the unallied and disorganised native tribes. As time goes by, the borders of Reian civilization creep deeper and deeper into the tribal heartland.

So we arrive in the current day. Forced by necessity, scattered tribes of different races have reached an uneasy truce, having agreed to share resources and their best and brightest in a last stand to save everything that they hold dear from destruction. In their desperation, they have even turned to escapees from the Reian slave castes for assistance; the bastard half-elves born of rapacious Esten will, and the blood-cursed tieflings; wretches warped at birth by their proximity to the tiefs and outcast by their own families and people.

Tuan's only hope now are the glorious warriors of the Resistance. You are those glorious warriors.

The Invaders

The Second Talithain (Eladrin)
The Eladrin are the masters of arcano-artifice, and in the fields of textile production, are the most technically advanced race known on either Reia or Tuan. Their servant race, the so-called `warforged' serve them and assist in their efforts to turn this new world into a new old world. Native forests are torn down to be turned into paper and their land strip-mined, or if they are very fortunate, turned into one of the landscaped gardens of plants and `wildlife' brought from Reia

The Trust of Grendor (Dwarves)
When it comes to munitions and mining, the dwarves are the most technically advanced race. This has served them well in their ongoing battle agains the peaceful and deeply religious sea giants, whose sacred homeland was the destination of a number of the dwarven tiefs. The native orcs of the Kekapilanan coast have suffered greatly at the hands of dwarves, and only a few tribes stand strong.

The Esten Compact (Humans & Halflings)
Long-term allies, the humans and halflings of the Esten Compact are among the most innovating and entrepreneurial of all races; their ability to adapt existing technology in ways that transform everyday activities is exceptional. Unfortunately, their focus on the advance of Reian and `New World' culture sees them having very little compassion for Tuan's native races. Where the other invaders may treat the enslaved as nothing more than workhorses, the Esten Compact take glee in mocking their barbaric practices, heathen ways and subhuman understanding of technology.

The Bloodscored Sultanate (Hobgoblins)
Of all the invaders, the Bloodscored were the most fortunate in the placement of their tiefs. While they have fierce foes among the native dragonborn and goliaths, they are resident above the most lucrative mining resources known on Tuan; a wealth of gold, platinum and even the rare naturally-occuring residuum is within their grasp. To assist them in their quest for the domination of finance, the hobgoblins of the Sultanate swore a number of the native goblin and bugbear tribes into their service; they are known as `serfs', a rank whose sole status appears to be `slightly better than a captured slave'.

The Hook

Each in your own way, you are among the most powerful and influential members of Tuan's resistance. The unofficial strategist of the Tuan resistance, the gnome warlord known as Rkwast, has requested that you attend upon him by the Stone Oak of Inan; a sacred site now near the borderlands of the Second Talithain and with the domain of the elven tribal coalition. You and your kin have been honored by this invitation; like most gnomes, Rkwast is notoriously reclusive, so would not wish to meet with you were the matter not of the utmost importance, and your stature significant.


As you approach the Stone Oak, you see the subtle signs of a temporary gnome encampment - suspiciously dense ferns, mossy boulders blocking usually clear lines of sight, and an exceptionally dense canopy in this section of the woodland. As you make your way closer, you're met by an elven scout who silently signals for you to follow her.

You are led into a small clearing underneath the branch of the petrified oak, where a gathering of about twenty warriors and spirit speakers of different races are talking in small groups. Your elven guide directs you to take a seat under the oak itself, where an elderly and disturbingly intense gnome sits quietly. He gestures for you to sit, eyeballing each of you in turn with the dead eyes of a veteran.

"I am Rkwast of the Unseen; your presence indicates that you know enough about me for now."
He pauses a moment, taking care to look each of you in the eye with a steely gaze.

"You are here by invitation, recommended by those who have seen you and know you. The spirits have granted each of you a special talent, and it is these talents that I expect you to deploy for the good of Tuan. If you act in good faith, then we will be strong allies."

Carefully unrolling a scroll of inxis bark, Rkwast continues. "Some of you have travelled a long way into unknown territory to be here, and I thank you for that. It has become a realisation of mine that our native sons have not shared their knowledge, and that this is why we suffer under the spiked gauntlet of the oppressive Reians."

"I am going to ask you to complete a complex and dangerous mission within the unjustly claimed territory of those accursed dogs, the Second Talithain. You will shut down the Vanaith Quarry."

Rkwast stands and spreads the scroll out on a root of the Stone Oak itself, revealing a detailed map of the surrounding area.

10mj5mv.jpg

"If you have doubts about the ability of five native warriors to emerge victorious against a camp of fifty Reians and around two hundred slaves, I understand, and would welcome you to take your leave, but understand this: I would not ask you to do this if I did not believe that you would be successful."

The gnome steps back from the map, making what is clearly a difficult decision to detach himself somewhat from the situation. "I will leave you to discuss this amongst yourselves for now. If you decide that you will help to save the world, I will elaborate further on this issue. If not, I will find someone who is willing to take this unique chance for glory."

"This is Neleiska.", Rkwast adds, gesturing to the elf that guided you into the encampment. "She acts as my eyes and ears in the woods, and has a great store of experience in the area that you will need to visit. I would implore you to use that knowledge."

Done for now, Rkwast nods curtly and wanders over to receive a message from a heavily wounded bugbear messenger who has just arrived.

----

Commence!

Hayasa on
«1345678

Posts

  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    "I, of course, am not one to run in fear in front of Reians. I have led many such raids before. At few against many, knowledge of the terrain becomes primordial. So, Neleiska, if we attack the mine, where will they go to for reinforcements, and how fast can they receive them ?."

    As he speaks, Grumzog makes for the exit.

    "Well, what are you waiting for ? Put aside our ancestral enmities, the time for them has passed, we must reclaim our homeland. Our guide can inform us as we travel."

    Hermenegilde on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having silently made her way across the plains to the elven woodlands, eating up the miles in the form of a great golden tigress, Sariela had found herself with much time to ponder Rkwast's missive.

    This must be important. For what other reason would I be summoned away from my hunting? Rkwast has quite the reputation; for his sake I hope it is well deserved. If this is a waste of my time...


    Upon arrival at the gnome encampment, Sariela sits in plain sight and waits somewhat impatiently. Eventually, one of the scouts makes his presence known and she follows him to the Stone Oak, lying down in a patch of sunlight and listening to Rkwast's short speech. As he announces his intent, she sits up in disbelief.

    That's all he wants us to do? I traveled for days to get here only to be asked to do something no more different than what I do every day?


    With a moment's concentration, she shifts out of her beast form, standing up tall out of a golden haze. She is a sight to behold, her feline heritage evident in every movement, every expression. With the usual difficulty that comes after not speaking for several weeks, she finds her voice and questions her elven guide.

    "Why this quarry? What is so special about it that we have been asked to come here?"

    Rius on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agar smirks at Grumzog's speech. "I like this goblin," the orc says with a chuckle. "He's got the right idea about the Reians."

    Struck by inspiration, he mentally filed away the words ancestral enmities. Nice ring to it, good rhythm! This was the beginnings of a great poem, he just knew it. Now, if only he could think of something that rhymed with "enmities..."

    Suddenly, the great tiger to his left shifted into a striking woman with catlike features.

    "Why this quarry? What is so special about it that we have been asked to come here?" asked the shifter.

    Agar nodded. "Good point. I'm ready..." He tilted his head for a moment, as if listening to someone, then slapped his crossbow against his palm. "Ahem. We're ready to put some Reians in the ground where they belong, but it wouldn't hurt to know why this place is so important."

    Saurfang on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carric tunes his bow/guitar and smirks at the others who he assumed would be his party members. "'Look before you leap' doesn't appear to be this band of merry men...and women's...motto. Guess that's why you need a bard."

    Glancing at Agar, the elf clears his throat and says, "I know what you're thinking, and no, there's no perfect rhyme for "'enmities'." There's 'agonies' and 'ironies', but nothing that's a perfect fit." He pulls out a piece of parchment and charcoal and makes a notation. "I'll add it to my list."

    Putting the items back in a pouch, Carric straightens up and sobers his experssion. "At any rate, we should probably hear what else Rkwast has to say before we go screaming out of the camp, banging wooden spoons on our armor."

    cytorak on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    "Rkwast's reputation precedes him. I'm sure he has good reasons to want that mine closed. And if he provided us with a guide, it might be because the guide has the pertinent knowledge, so all we achieve by waiting here is wasting time."

    Grumzog look expectantly from one fellow legend to another.

    "Oh and maybe the Crossbow Master would like to try frailties or calamities. We can exploit one and cause the other."

    Hermenegilde on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Merombo has stood in silence, turning his lumbering frame toward each individual as they spoke. To observers, he appeared to be weighing the situation with shamanistic wisdom. In reality, he had just arrived not long before Rkwast made his speech and needed to catch his breath.



    Gathering that his comrades had sufficiently expressed their intent, Merombo takes one last deep breath so that when he begins to talk he won't have to stop mid-sentence to huff in more air. Then, he speaks slowly and carefully.

    "Well now. I suppose I'm as eager to deal a blow to the Reians as any. I've also come a long way, and I've left my tribe without their leader in a time of great need. For that reason I believe I owe it to my people not to rush into anything and get myself killed."

    Merombo pauses, takes another breath and glances in the direction of Neleiska. Abruptly and with a great crash, Merombo sits on a nearby tree stump. It is clear that he intends to stay where he is, at least for a few moments longer.

    "Neleiska, I am Merombo of the Greatpaw. I have some questions, and perhaps my new friends here have some as well, once their excitement subsides. What can you tell me of this mine? I apologize if it is common knowledge for some, but my tribe is isolationist by nature."

    hjparcins on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neleiska's eyes dart around as the discussion flows. Where Rkwast speaks with great intensity, clearly Neleiska is of a different breed; her earlier silence appears to mask a discomfort in open speaking.

    "Where the Second have seized and pillaged the native lands of many of the Elven tribes, the Vanaith quarry is different - it was carved out of what has always been a neutral territory. A fey place, strong with the spirits, where leaders of the tribes could come and consult with the forces of nature for guidance and support."

    "The grove has been torn asunder by their metal men, much to the shame of all of our people, and until Rkwast's gathering, we thought that had put an end to our beautiful peace. However, he has convinced a number of leaders that there is something important in this quarry that needs to be protected. Perhaps restored?"

    A jealous note enters her voice as she continues, "I do not know what needs to be protected, because despite my months of loyal support, I have not earmed Rkwast's trust to the degree that you strangers appear to have. I can advise you on the best routes to the area, and perhaps a nearby clearing or two, but that is all - I have no knowledge of the quarry itself."

    In more resigned tones, she adds. "If I may give some advice, however, it is in Rkwast's nature not to give away secrets until you have commited to help him. He is a gnome, and I suppose this is to be expected as it is their nature."

    Hayasa on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As Merembo spoke, Agar took note of his fellow Lowlands rebel. Every inch as scary as the dwarves say he is, he thought with satisfaction. In a way, the two of them had been fighting alongside each other for years, but Agar was pleased to finally be able to do so in person. He gave a friendly nod to the Iron Bear.

    Neleiska's ire about Rkwast's reliance on this small gathering was apparent. Agar narrowed his eyes. The elven woman would be one to watch. Clearly, she seemed loyal to the resistance, but her righteous anger might prove... unstable. The orc shook his head. He was among friends, his suspicion was unwarranted.

    As her speech came to an end, there was a moment of silence. "Yes," Agar said suddenly, to no one in particular, his eyes unfocused. "That seems wise."

    He turned to Neleiska. "What's the best way to this quarry? This quarry that is our quarry." Agar smiled to himself. That was pretty good! "We--I accept the mission." He bared his teeth. "Gladly."

    Saurfang on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sariela yawns, irritated anew at Neleiska's verbal deflections and her insinuations.

    "Strangers we are, and despite what you think, we have yet to be trusted with anything. Rkwast has told us nothing of use, and you have added little on top of that."

    Raising a slender hand, palm held outward, to forestall Neleiska's response, she sighs.

    "That doesn't mean I won't help. At this point, these Reians are the closest ones to kill anyway. I eagerly await Rkwast's glorious wisdom on the matter," she continued sardonically.

    Shifting back into the great golden tigress, she once again stretches out in the sunlit patch, only her golden eyes moving back and forth as she observes the gathering.

    Rius on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Clearly unsettled by Sariela's casual transformation and the power that it demonstrates, Neleiska still manages to maintain her superior disposition. Stepping over to the map, she points out key points on the map to Agar and any other interested parties.

    "As newcomers to the area, you'll find that paths naturally lead to the lake. Don't follow them, as the Reians are using the southern lakeside for some sort of machinery thing. Where possible, stay on the incline of any slope as the Reian fortifications tend to be either on the peaks or in the valleys."

    "The only real invasive presence between here and the quarry itself are a few ogres of the Ezkakek tribe employed as mercenary frontiersmen for the Reians. If they spot you, you'll need to stop them before they signal the quarry - if they do that, you can expect some skirmishers to arrive quite quickly."

    Hayasa on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    "Oh, Great Tiger, don't get your fur all tangled up. And Neleiska, it's not trust in our integrity, but trust in our ability. Rkwast needs us, or other great warriors like us, to purge the area of invaders. Thus he asks. And since I hold him and his plans in high respect, I answered his call and will help. Howeever not everyone is as easygoing as I am and some like to know little things like such as motive and need. We can complain that he doesn't trust us, but in turn, we are not trusting his judgment. We will know what is there if we succeed. And if we are captured, we can reveal nothing because we know nothing."

    Grumzog sits back down, pondering his own speech. Not bad.
    He remains unmoving for a little while, musing about this new endeavor. Suddenly, he jumps to his feat.

    "We should totally ambush those Ogres !"

    Hermenegilde on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agar grins slowly, picking his teeth with the tip of a crossbow bolt. "I do love a good ambush."

    He looks at his crossbow, his expression intent, as if he were listening to someone. His face breaks into a wider smile. "Good point! Taking out the Reian's sentries means it'll be easier to get the drop on them, as long as we move fast. Remember that time the dwarves tried to move that wood-clearing machine into..." he trails off, clearing his throat, and directs his next question to Neleiska.

    "Do you know how often the ogres report to their bosses at the quarry?"

    Saurfang on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carric turns a sympathetic ear to Neleiska's words.

    "You know how gnomes are, sister elf. All about misdirection. Chances are, you've got bigger fish to fry anyway, and this mission we're going on is probably small potatoes compared to the awesome mission you'll most assuredly be on. Besides, like you said, we're newcomers; the most expendable of all -comers."

    The elf turns his attention to Grumzog. "'Ambush?' See, that's what I'm talking about. Pick them off before they even know we're there."
    If need be: Diplomacy (With Words of Friendship bonus) (1d20+21=23)

    I suspect that, when she betrays us, I will be the first to die by her hand...

    cytorak on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neleiska raises her eyebrows in surprise at the enthusiasm for ambushing the ogres. "The ogres don't report often, the Eladrin..." - she pauses to spit after saying the filthy word - "... they don't like the ogres any more than the rest of us."

    At Carric's wordplay, her haughty facade cracks just a little. "Yes, well, perhaps so. If you're settled on this, you should really speak to Rkwast again - I know for a fact that he has some sort of device for you to use."

    Indeed, Rkwast's business with the bugbear is complete and he returns to the gathering with a look of suspicion on his face. "So, will you do it?"

    Hayasa on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Merombo lifts himself from the stump with a groan. He looks down at Rkwast and furrows his brow.

    "I admit I have some reservations. I usually give more thought to... unique requests such as these. That being said, the others seem to have already made a decision. I will rely on their aggregate wisdom where my own would give me pause."

    Merombo continues to stare down the gnome, trying to discern what he can from Rkwast's black eyes.
    Insight: 1d20+16=19

    Rolled a 30 the first time but forgot to tag my roll with the campaign name. Haha, oh well.

    hjparcins on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sariela lifts her head, catching Rkwast's attention. Her eyes narrow as they examine his, and before long she nods slightly in acquiescence.
    Rolled an Insight check here, but got a critical failure. Second time that's happened as the first roll of a campaign, heh.

    Rius on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Insight:
    In Rkwast, you see a gnome truly driven by his beliefs. Staring into his dark, twinking eyes is like peeking into a world of things that you instinctively know it would be better not to understand. He is quite possibly unhinged, but you can only hope that he is unhinged in your favour - certainly, that would appear to be the case.

    "Good", Rkwast replies with a curt nod.

    "Your first objective is to end the mining exploration. It would be preferable if you could avoid killing most of the slaves, but I will leave that to your judgement. The so-called warforged are to be killed on sight, however, as I have not known one willing to turn on the Reians yet. They have had enough chances to do so that I am not inclined to advise you to try again.

    "The most dangerous foes within are the works of industry known as Scoop Golems. This is a relatively new site for the Talithain, so these abominations have been made entirely from the soil of Tuan. You will destroy then and return them to Tuan!". Nodding to Grumzog, he adds "I want you to make it last."

    Checking your faces carefully, he continues, "The second objective may not even apply; this will require investigation. You will need to determine if they have found anything...unusual on the site. I will leave that method up to you."

    He holds out a small leather pouch, "In the event that the Talithain have chanced upon something out of the ordinary, you will need this pouch. It may be the only thing that can save us all."

    Hayasa on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "We won't kill any slaves." Agar's eyes burned, then flickered and died out. He continued, more quietly. "Not unless they try to kill us first. Which they probably will." He gave a hollow chuckle, one hand unconsciously tracing the ritual scar over his left eye that marked him as a member of the Deadeye tribe.

    Agar sighed and held out his calloused palm for Rkwast's leather pouch. "Any chance you'll tell us what's inside this mystery pouch?" he asked with a grimace.
    Peception check on the pouch... for... smells and things

    You know...pouch identification things

    Saurfang on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rkwast snorts a laugh, a brief crack in his facade as he hands the pouch to Agar, "Only that I wouldn't recommend sticking your nose in it unless you want to sleep for a hundred years."

    Hayasa on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Tigress rises, stretching and yawning, her claws furrowing the ground. She nods once more at Rkwast and glances at the pouch before disregarding it. Shifting again, she has one more thing to say before the group leaves.

    "If we take time aside to purposefully hunt down these ogres, we may be giving the Reians enough time to unearth that which Rkwast is worried about. It might be easier and more prudent to avoid them."

    Rius on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    "I, for one, am up for it. So we kill them, bring back the slaves, check to see if they have woken something up, and if they did, put it back to sleep. Quick question : How do we prevent the invaders from coming back to the mine ? We can't stay there forever."

    Hermenegilde on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carric throws his bow on his back and stands up. "Appearances can be deceiving; it surely won't be that easy, Grumzog. Let's just hope whatever it is they woke up isn't waving the Reian standard."

    cytorak on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agar nods in agreement with the charismatic bard. He rises to join the others, adjusting his bandolier and his dark cloak. Lastly, he secures his crossbow, ensuring that it's within easy reach. His hand fondly pats the butt of his trusted weapon. "Well, Gloria," he whispers. "Looks like we're about to have some fun."

    Saurfang on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rkwast claps his hands sharply to interrupt the discussion. He gestures to a few piles of rope and other basic goods; what branding you can see shows them as apparently captured from the Reians.

    "Supplies are over there, take what you need. Report back here when you're done, please."
    Take note of any rope and other basic stuff you're nabbing in preparation. Give me a !ready to move on to forest fun.

    Hayasa on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !ready

    cytorak on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sariela looks over the supplies with disdain.

    "I have my own equipment, thanks. I'll not be using anything that stinks of Reian."
    I am !Ready!

    Rius on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    !Ready

    Hermenegilde on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !ready

    hjparcins on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll grab some of the rope, to be polite. !ready

    Saurfang on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having taken what meagre second-hand supplies you've deemed necessary, as a group with a focus you leave the Stone Oak and proceed to follow the directions and guidance given to you by Neleiska.

    Having been forewarned of the likelihood of an ogre patrol, you're aware of the signs of their passing. Filthy carcasses of game dumped by poorly-built campsites, and the stench of their excretions, are both typical and disgusting.

    Merombo smells the `fresh' source of such product first, not that this is a particularly advantageous expereince. On careful approach, you can see through the trees a small group of ogres arguing in a clearing amongst themselves - the typical rest state of such creatures. They appear to be accompanied by a solo warforged; a reasonable guess would be that perhaps he is their link to the quarry.

    Map:
    2lmp5zt.jpg

    If you choose to attack, you'll all get a surprise round. Roll some initiatives if that is your choice, but if you want to avoid them, I'll need some Stealth checks.

    FYI, the line of trees running from approximate G4 to R14 will provide concealment (-2 to ranged attacks going through that area) from either side. Don't worry about the others. Also, if you are within that tree line, ignore concealment.

    Any of those trees in the tree line I'll say you can get total concealment as a minor action if you roll Stealth and beat DC: 20. Otherwise regular concealment.

    Hayasa on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Merombo briefly surveys the group of ogres. He takes particular notice of the warforged standing behind them.

    Merombo then glances down at his armor and his girth and grimaces. He addresses the party in a whisper:

    "As you can probably surmise, I'm not very sneaky. If you want to try to get around them quietly, I can give it a shot. It might be a better idea to press our advantage and surprise them, though."

    Merombo angles his head past a branch to get a better look at the warforged.

    "That metal fellow worries me. It might be difficult and it will be dangerous but... judging from what Rkwast told us, I think we should go after the warforged first. I don't think we should give him the chance to escape and alert the Reians or our presence."
    Initiative, if we decide to fight:
    1d20+10=21

    hjparcins on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agar nods, lifting his crossbow silently and narrowing his eyes, the scar over his left eye furrowing as he sights the ogres and the metal man through the treeline.

    Saurfang on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Tigress listens to Merombo and nods her head briefly. A low rumbling in her throat catches the attention of her companions; they notice her eyes narrowing and cutting to look at the warforged as if to say, "That thing is mine." She turns and stalks off into the treeline, intending to circle north of the ogres and cut off any escape attempt the Warforged might make.
    If I can wind up anywhere from A9-D9, that would be ideal.

    Stealth Check (1d20+21=32)

    Initiative Check (2d20.takeHighest(1)+14=18)

    Rius on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carric snorts as he notches an arrow. "There's a girl who knows what she wants," he whispers to his companions.

    "Probably should give her a hand though. It's the gentlemanly thing to do."

    cytorak on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User
    edited June 2009
    "I'm thinking maybe lightning, maybe thunder. So many choices, so few ogres."

    The air around the goblin has a charged feel to it, as if awaiting... release. Small bolts of electricity arc between his fingers and climb on his arms.
    Init : 1d20+12=16
    Yep. The init god still hates me.

    Hermenegilde on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Surprise Round

    Map:
    2lmp5zt.jpg
    Round Information
    Initiative:

    29 - Agar Deadeye
    26 - Carric
    21 - Merombo
    20 - Assorted minions - not active in this surprise round
    18 - Rius
    16 - Grumzog

    Ogre 1 - HP: Minion - AC 28, Fortitude 30, Reflex 24, Will 24
    Ogre 2 - HP: Minion - AC 28, Fortitude 30, Reflex 24, Will 24
    Ogre 3 - HP: Minion - AC 28, Fortitude 30, Reflex 24, Will 24
    Ogre 4 - HP: Minion - AC 28, Fortitude 30, Reflex 24, Will 24
    Warhulk 1 - HP: 286/286 - AC 25, Fortitude 26, Reflex 21, Will 21
    Warhulk 2 - HP: 286/286 - AC 25, Fortitude 26, Reflex 21, Will 21
    Warforged - HP: 100/100 - AC 25, Fortitude 26, Reflex 21, Will 21


    - This is a surprise round, so you only get one of the three actions (Standard, move or minor)
    - The ogres are large and have reach, so keep that in mind when working out if you provoke opportunity attacks.
    - As mentioned in the OOC thread: Any of those trees in the tree line I'll say you can get total concealment as a minor action if you roll Stealth and beat DC: 20. Otherwise regular concealment.

    Hayasa on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agar carefully lines up his shot. The ogres are completely unaware of their presence, but the trees are making it difficult to shoot. Two crossbow bolts are suddenly flying through the air, so quickly that observers would be hard pressed to say when the orc pulled the trigger. Agar is already in motion, though, dashing forward a few steps and dropping another bolt into place. He cursed as one bolt whistled just in front of the face of one of the ogres, possibly shaving a few hairs from the ogre's unibrow but not killing it. The other bolt, however, pierced a nerve in the hulking ogre to the northeast, eliciting a dreadful cry of pain. Agar smiled in grim satisfaction.
    Combat Advantage (+2) and Concealment(-2) canceled each other out, so I didn't include them in the rolls.

    Standard Action: Tornado Strike on O1 and W1.

    Attack roll vs. O1: 1d20+19=27, miss! Damage=43

    I screwed up and only put one attack roll in there, but since I've already done damage, here's the attack roll for W1: 1d20+19=29 hit! 43 damage to W1, and he is shifted two squares "up" (from G-H to E-F)

    Agar will move three squares as part of the effect of the attack, to M4.

    Saurfang on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because I'm probably going to sleep in tomorrow, on deck for my turn after Carric:

    Merombo fixes his stare on the ground at the center of the group of ogres. Still focused on that spot, he growls low in his throat and his eyes briefly flash a pale blue. In that moment a massive avatar of the Great Bear spirit coalesces in the middle of the monsters, announcing its presence with a feral roar.
    Minor Action: Call Spirit Companion at F10.

    hjparcins on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carric lines up a shot on the ogre that Agar missed. Unfortunately, the oaf bends over to pick a flower and the arrow whizzes harmlessly over his head.

    Deciding to stay perfectly motionless, the bard appears to any onlookers as an elf-shaped tree, incapable of doing any harm.
    Edit: Surprise Round...duh.

    The standard, listed below, is my surprise round action. My critical awesome stealth* can be disregarded, or if you're generous, Hayasa, you'll let me carry that result over to next round. ;)

    Standard: Jinx Shot vs. O1 (28) (1d20+19=23, 1d10+8=17) Miss!

    *Convert Move to Minor for attempt at total concealment: Stealth Attempt (20) (1d20+7=27)

    ...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, there's a critical. FML.

    cytorak on
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prowling north into the cover of the treeline, Sariela bides her time until the best moment to attack.
    Move: Move w/Stealth Check to H6 (1d20+21=23) Success! Heh, rolled a 2. IC tries to screw me again, news at 11!

    Also; for some reason, I put H3 in the roll description and not H6, which makes much more sense.

    Rius on
«1345678
Sign In or Register to comment.