As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial PAX09 Community DVD Project - Now Available!

ColdbrewColdbrew Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
In September 2009, five gamers, joined in a blood pact, devised a scheme to document the Penny Arcade Expo. Though outnumbered 12,000 to 1, with camera equipment in tow they valiantly stormed the halls of the Washington State Convention and Trade Center. For three days they did battle with low light, poor acoustics, and prinny hats in a bid to capture the memories and distill in digital form the awesome that was PAX 09.

Predictably, they were all slaughtered, their tapes and hard disk platters strewn in ruin about the convention center in the ensuing chaos.

Now, months later, a team of historians and documentarians have descended upon those ravaged halls and retrieved the lost tape and disk platters from amongst the broken Bawls bottles and smoldering exhibitor booths, restoring them to pristine viewing quality. The result was both shocking and deeply disturbing.

These are their stories. This is the Unofficial PAX 09 Community DVD.
PAX-09-DVD-banner-smaller-frontpage.jpg

Relive the chaos that was PAX09 in our 7 disc set of concerts and panels. Here's all the juicy details:

Disc 1
Performances by the 8-bit sensation known as Anamanaguchi as well as the legendary synth pop group Freezepop.

Disc 2
Performances by the hard rocking Metroid Metal and everybody's favorite code monkey, Jonathan Coulton.

Disc 3
Performances by the world's 579th greatest rapper, also known as MC Frontalot, along with the duo that's turning PAX attendee's into pirates, Paul & Storm.

Disc 4
The opening keynote by Ron Gilbert, The first Penny-Arcade Q&A, and the panel of Foxtrot comic creator Bill Amend.

Disc 5
Penny-Arcade's Make-A-Strip panel, a world premiere demonstration of the upcoming MMORPG: Star Wars: The Old Republic, a performance by the legendary Sex Generals, performances by two groups of The Beatles imitators, otherwise known as the fourth round of the Omegathon, and last but not least, the Skee Ball championship that is the Omegathon Finale.

Disc 6
Penny-Arcade's second Q&A, the Make a Scene with Telltale Games panel, and over an hour long documentary of the Cross Country Super Trip, as produced by Moe Fwacky himself.

Disc 7
This will conclude the set by getting you to laugh uncontrollably with panels by the hilarious Mega64, Red vs Blue, and Scott Kurtz.

A few other things of note:

Most of the interviews we did were not of great quality, so they will remain on YouTube on this channel. Also, due to a lack of footage recovered from the field, the MC Frontalot performance is only captured by one camera and is cut short a little less than an hour in. For this we apologize, though it should no longer be an issue in the future. Oh, and Jonathan Coulton's performance is here in it's entirety, completely uncut. Some of you know why I even bother to mention this, and I believe it's worth mentioning. So enjoy it!

I will also warn all potential viewers that the quality of a lot of this footage may appear lower on larger displays as opposed to smaller one's. Hopefully it wont be an issue with everybody. After watching some of this myself, I've noticed a few things I should have done before releasing this, but it's about as good as it's going to get. Besides, PAX EAST is a week away, and I need space for that project.

I want to thank everybody that helped make this project what it is, which is way more than I could have foreseen this early on. A special thanks to Paul and Jess of bonus-level.com, who volunteered in helping us cover the concerts and got us our only footage of MC Frontalot, as well as Papaprinny who helped jump start this whole thing, teaching and helping me through the editing process, and is the driving force that is getting our team to PAX East. This is simply amazing, and I already know that PAX Prime this year is going to be huge for us.

So, without further delay, here is the link to where you can download this 7 disc DVD set. I hope some of you actually read all of that, I hope you all enjoy these DVD's, and I especially hope you will look forward to our future releases of the PAX EAST 2010 Community DVD as well as the PAX PRIME 2010 Community DVD.

See some of you very soon in Boston, and the rest of you in Seattle in 6 months!

Download Instructions
This is a torrent file. Each disc image is the size of a dual layer. So if you want burn these, they must be on dual layer media! They have been tested in a few DVD players as well as an Xbox 360, and have had no issues so far. When you first open the torrent in your bit torrent program, you should get a list of each disc. Here you can un-check any disc that you don't want, so you don't have to download the entire thing. If you don't have a bit torrent program, I suggest uTorrent. These things are easy to use so just Google it if you're not sure how, or I could write a small guide. Or just open the original post spoiler below this, go to the very bottom, and click the link to the thread on my '08 project. There should be a guide in there. Enjoy.

ORIGINAL POST
1/28/10
I just want to apologize to anybody that was expecting to see this set sooner. I noticed certain mistakes way too late in editing that needed to be fixed, so I'm going through and re-encoding much of the videos (which means any video you see in this post will not reflect how the DVD will look, the sides of some footage was cut off, etc). Aside from this, no work had been done on the menus and at this point I don't have time to do anything special with that. They may be being worked on now, but if doesn't come around then we may just have to use something more basic, which isn't really that big of an issue. We've already had to downscale all the concert footage to 480p which I don't really like, but with all the different types of cameras used, it's the only way we could really streamline all of the footage. Some of our panels may be higher resolution, but we'll see. So the set shouldn't take a whole lot longer now, and hopefully I may be able to release certain parts earlier like last year.

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to update today (and bump the thread) was for a bit of an announcement. Papaprinny has been awesome enough to put together and host a website for us. From now on, we're going to be striving to get some more dedicated volunteers and as much community involvement as possible, and we figure one forum thread like this won't quite work. We have forums for the community (that's all of you guys!) to discuss things with us, you can very easily submit videos and photo's to us via some functions on the site, you can view the progress of the project and see a compilation of all the footage and photo's that others have submitted to us, and so on.

For more info and details, why don't you check out the site for yourself? We're still touching up a few things on there, but for the most part it's finished. Please, if you have any interest in helping us out in any way possible, especially now that there may not ever be another Official DVD, go register and check things out. Thanks, and see you on the other side.

Check out our website here!

Oh, and this will be the last update on the OP of this thread. Updates from now on will be on the home page of our website. I may however still add uploaded videos to the OP, and details when the set is finished, but that is all...
01/14/10
Paul and Storm is finished being edited, leaving only Anamanaguchi as the only concert set that needs work, though that will be a quick process because one of our three cameras was having issues and didn't pick up any audio. I still want to use the footage but it's going to be a pain in the ass to synchronize it without audio so it may be left out. But our main close-up camera got great shots through-out most of their set so it should still be good. I'm not too happy with how the Paul & Storm footage turned out, which I think is because of the lighting, but oh well... The official set is released, so if you want epic quality then pick that up. Our set is for the cheap bastards like myself, and for people that want to see some of the other sides of PAX. So anyway...

I will hopefully be finished soon. We have a website in the works as well, which I wasn't too thrilled about at first, but now that it's coming together I can see how much of a use and help it will be to us, and now that Mike (Gabe) mentioned that they may not ever do another Official DVD set, there's a door opening up for us. That's going to give us a chance to get our shit together and really open up for community involvement as well. This year's set will be decent. But we have some professionals now. I only ask that the community (that's everybody reading this) sticks with us and supports us. And we will deliver.

Thanks to everybody that has supported us so far, especially Papaprinny of the PAX Photo Patrol who has been a tremendous help, as well as Paul and Jess of Bonus-Level.com.

I will update this again once the set is about finished...

12/26/09
The project was on standby for a short while up until now, and I'm starting to put more work into it. I missed the first deadline and don't want to waste any more time. I'm making more progress on the concerts and they should be done soon. Also, we will have footage from this years' Cross-Country Super Trip, thanks to Moe Fwacky who offered to send me the footage to have on here, so there's something else for you all to look forward to if you haven't seen any of it. I've also recently uploaded footage from the second Star Wars: The Old Republic panel, which you can see below. It's in three parts, the first showing the three classes (Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Sith Warrior) and the other two showing a higher level dark side mission. Enjoy.

12/16/09
I'm getting a better idea of what formats to encode everything in, so hopefully things will start speeding up. I got somebody working on the menus, not sure how that's going right now but it shouldn't take long. The set (at least concerts) will be on dual layer disks so the videos can be better quality and we can keep two concerts to disk. I'll take a rough estimate and say the set will be between 8-12 disks, depending on a few things. That may sound like a lot, but we have a lot of content, much of it HD content. We will at least have download options for each individual disk of course, for those of you who only want certain things, but we are still looking into making physical full sets for those that want a hard copy of everything. More details later.

11/05/09
Our latest update will be posted here. Videos will constantly be added below as they are uploaded to YouTube, without this part being updated, so keep an eye on it! The Freezepop concert set is finished. I will soon have another one done, and when all of the concerts are finished, we will be very close to completing the set. Keep in mind that there's isn't any actual visual/audio editing going on. I'm not experienced with that much and I honestly don't even think it's needed, but one of my crew members (papaprinny, of the PAX Photo Patrol) is experienced with it and wants to do that. So I'm thinking we may do that later on and release another cleaner version of the set at a later date. More on this later though.

Anyway, the Jonathan Coulton set is now finished, making 2 out of 6 band sets done with editing. The rest hopefully will not take long.

What to Expect on the DVD Set

So we had a few issues here and there, but overall this project should turn out pretty nicely in the end. We did cover each concert in it's entirety, of course. We also got the Mega64 panel, Star Wars: The Old Republic Live Demo #2, Penny Arcade Q&A's, Roosterteeth Panel, Make a Strip panel, DS World Record, Opening Keynote, and more. Aside from all that, we got short recordings of some of the games that were on display in the expo hall, including a live demonstration of Fairytale Fights given to us by a developer, as well as other interviews. We interviewed developers of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Halo 3 ODST, we got Geoff of Roosterteeth, Sean and The Duke of Freezepop, Anamanaguchi, Jeff and Sandeep from The Guild, and more. Some of these interviews will be posted on YouTube soon if they aren't already, so you can all see them. They're not great quality as we went into them with little planning, but it's a start for the years to come.

I will link any YouTube uploads to here for your viewing pleasure. Please keep in mind that most, if not all, of the videos I upload and post here are not results of final edits. I have technically done the edits in all the concerts, but I need to go through and encode a bunch of the footage before doing the full multi-cam edits. The quality should remain close enough to what you see in these, only slightly lower, but it will all be the same resolution and aspect ratio. This means when you watch some of these videos and it looks like the camera is zooming in too far, it's because I fucked it up, and the sides are being cut off the video. The encoding that's being done is fixing that. So trust me, it will be worth it. Enjoy.

A simple preview of some things to expect on the set, and what the 1080p version will look like. Enjoy the full HD. Go to the video page to see the full resolution and check the description for details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft5n_KQ6S50

Metroid Metal performing the Space Pirates theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKgmlVr9T3Y

Star Wars: The Old Republic gameplay demonstration: Part 1. The first of three parts shows gameplay from the Bounty Hunter, Trooper, and Sith Warrior classes, shown during their second panel at PAX09. I wasn't able to attend the first panel, but you can watch that online elsewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hag7xSaNPjs

Star Wars: The Old Republic gameplay demonstration: Part 2. The second and third parts show a later mission on the dark side done with two players, one a bounty hunter, the other a sith warrior. It will be very interesting to see what kinds of missions can be done with this system and more then one player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bYa9aBZGY&feature=channel

Star Wars: The Old Republic gameplay demonstration: Part 3. The continuation of part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5O6kG1W0Q&feature=channel

Jonathan Coulton performing "Wil Wheaton" (aka My Monkey). This set is finished, making 2 out of 6 band performances are done with editing. The rest hopefully will not take long. (Click the link to see it in HD).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCmRGGPeTig

Freezepop performing Plastic Stars. This is after editing, but not final. It was taken from three camera feeds, two of which are HD. This should show you all a taste of what to expect out of this project. We want to do advanced editing, but I have no idea how long that's going to take so I'm still going to want to have it released before New Years, and if we do more advanced editing, we could release another version later. Enjoy. (Click the link to see it in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402XIenScAU

Here's a compilation of clips from some pranks between Mega64 and Red vs Blue. It's pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfE6YFmpWq8

Wil Wheaton proclaiming that Jonathan Coulton is the 2009 recipient of the Presidential d20 of Geekdom
(click the link to see it in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFDM5zeemhg

On stage marriage proposal during the Freezepop concert (click the link to see it in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk82vAJvXAY

Interview with Geoff of Roosterteeth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE6Ge8Af9yk

Interview with Sean of Freezepop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3eKypstvSI

Interview with Kasson Crooker (The Duke) of Freezepop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR9DkpR3svY

Fairytale Fights gameplay demonstration (hard to see at times due to a glare on the screen, but it's still awesome)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXu8d_DUtA

... And more to come!

Unofficial PAX09 Community DVD Project

In case any of you are unaware, this is basically the continuation of my Unofficial project from PAX08. I'm finally deciding to make a thread for this because I've been getting support from some experienced people, and will have the ability to cover a lot of ground and come out with a quality product that's especially designed for the PAX community and forumers.

What is This?

Think of this as a small, more community driven version of the Official PAX DVD. So we don't have all the big fancy equipment that they have (though what we have now is pretty awesome) but we can focus more on the things that the forum community is involved in, as well as the bigger events that make PAX what it is. We'll often have one to three groups running around through-out the weekend in various locations filming events, covering new games, and possibly interviewing attendees and forumers, which there will [hopefully] be an incentive for. As far as distribution goes, we may stick with the way of torrents, but we will also try to make physical copies available to anybody that prefers it. We will post more details on this later.

Action Plan: Where we'll be, what we'll be doing.
With this being a Community DVD, we will obviously be covering any community events we can, as well as many other things going on around PAX. As I've mentioned in the past, we are planning on attending and covering the Pre-PAX Dinner and the TriWizard Drinking Tournament as best we can (and if we can even afford to attend said events, which may be an issue). We will also be covering the Guinness World Record attempt on Friday and attempt to cover the PAX Pranks through-out the weekend. During the off time away from events and panels, we'll be focusing on the Expo Hall, covering new games and attempting to do small interviews with game devs, things like that. When the Expo Hall is closed, we'll have to figure something else out. As far as the scheduled events, I'm going to list the primary ones we're going to cover and some other ones we may cover (anything with a * next to it means we "might" cover it). If anybody wants to request we film a panel or something else not on the list, let me know and I'll see what we can do (no guarantee's though). Keep in mind it's all subject to change, though we should have at least three primary people out and about filming things so it shouldn't be difficult to get what we want covered.

Friday we will be covering: Opening Keynote, PA Q&A #1, DS World Record Attempt, Assassins Creed 2 & Splinter Cell Conviction Live Stage Demo, Friday Night Concerts, Omegathon Round 1*, Omegathon Round 2*, Mega64 Panel*, The Guild Season 2 Screening*, and maybe more.

Saturday we will be covering: PA Make A Strip Panel, Star Wars The Old Republic Live Demo, Rooster Teeth Panel, Omegathon Round 3*, Omegathon Round 4*, Saturday Night Concerts, G4's TheFeed Nightcap*, Hal Halpin & Adam Sessler Talking Games*, and likely more.

Sunday we will be covering: Star Wars The Old Republic Live Demo, PA Q&A #2, Omegathon Round 5*, Omegathon Final Round, Red Steel 2 Panel*, Wil Wheaton Panel*, and maybe more.

Our crew and equipment.
Our primary crew currently consists of about four-five people, which will often be divided into two or three teams, though we may have a couple other people taking pictures and filming behind the scenes type stuff. For the smaller panels, interviews, and expo hall coverage, we'll likely just be using the same camcorder we used last year, which is pretty descent, but nothing too great. We may have another one to use as well. For the bigger panels and events though, we're going hi-def with this professional camcorder, and that's what is going to allow us to hopefully make a quality product this year. Of course we'll have tripods and microphones and things like that when the need arises. I will let the crew members identify themselves here if they want to.

Buttons! -Updated!
I decided we should come up with a logo for this project descent enough to go on a button, which is pictured in the spoiler below. It will likely be the final design, created by Paul, one of our crew members. Unfortunately, due to being low on funds, we were not able to get buttons this year. However, the deal we originally came up with will still stand. That is, rather you want a button or not, we want you guys to get in front of our cameras at some point during the weekend, rather it's somewhere during PAX or at the Pre-PAX Dinner. Just say something about yourself, or about PAX, or about your experience so far, or even just do something random and crazy. Pretty much anything works. I will plan on making new buttons for the years to come, but next year (PRIME and/or EAST) we also plan on having some of these '09 buttons to hand out to those of you that get on film this year. So we probably won't be too identifiable, but some of you know who I am and what I look like, so just look for me, and if you're at the Pre-PAX Dinner, that's your best shot.
Button_01copy.jpg

Feedback & Help from the Community -Updated!
This is meant to be an informative thread but the main reason I'm even posting this right now is in case anybody else might want to help us or if you guys want to throw any suggestions our way (such as panels or events to film that are not on our list), so if you do, let us know.

So people have been asking me what they can do to help, so I'm going to post a little something about that here. If you have any kind of digital camera and like taking still pictures, you are all more then welcome to submit them to us, rather you directly send them to us or upload them online somewhere that we can get the full size image from. We will probably put together a large slide show of pictures from the community onto one of our DVD's or something, so if you send us pictures of pretty much anything from PAX, they will probably be on there.

For people that have the ability to film, rather it's with a camcorder or a digital camera: If you happen to be attending any panels or events that are not mentioned above, then feel free to film it and submit it to us. Even if the quality isn't that great, we'll be happy to look it over. If we get enough, we may end up dedicating at least one DVD to things submitted by the community.

Also, for anybody that offers to help us, rather it's sending us your still pictures or filming things for us, please offer help for the PAX Photo Patrol as well, as we are now joining our forces. Together, we have the resources to get a lot covered without double covering events, but we could still use help from anybody that's willing. Sending us your still pictures to go up online or to go onto our DVD is easy and we welcome as much as you can give us. As for filming, if you have a camcorder and wouldn't mind helping us, please let us know. Wednesday will likely be the last day to go over anything via the forums, and the best way to meet up with me on Thursday would be the Pre-PAX Dinner, so you can let me know there as well and we can figure something out.

PAX EAST

We are planning on attending and covering PAX EAST! It's going to turn into quite a bit of work for us, or me at least, but it will be worth it. There's plenty of time to wait for this, but we'll be posting details after PAX09 is done with, so we'll keep you all informed.

PAX08 Project

The last minute idea that started it all! If you have any questions, comments, or want some info about the PAX08 project, use this thread for them. Download links are there too.

1urq87ra7ws0.png
Coldbrew on

• kropotkinkropotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As a fellow personage who's putting some effort into making PAX just that little bit more special for us forum members, I for one support this endeavor whole heartedly! If there is any way to say to fellow gaming fans who won't come to PAX for reasons along the lines of 'it's too far away' or indeed 'not for me thanks', then you just need to show them this DVD and they will change their minds. If not, then they are probably dead inside or something.

Also note the use of the word 'won't' in the above text. Please do not flame me if you simply cannot afford the time or money to go, this is not a slight against you! It's just those refusnicks who seem to think they have to pray at the alter of Penny Arcade to even bother going. These people are foolish fools, but I digress.

With regards to coverage, I think you may be missing a couple of key events that may need covering, even though they will likely be filmed by other outlets. These are; The Brodeo Reunion, Giant Bombcast and ListenUP Live. These are will likely be very popular events so you may wish to include them in your coverage.

On a final note; I would love to say that I'm in the position to help out in the creation of this DVD, but sadly my media related duties there prevent me from doing so.

Nevertheless I do wish you all the best of luck with it!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks a lot for the support. One of the reasons I am doing this is to get more people to go to PAX, much like what you said. I will also take another look at the schedule and see how feasible it would be to get the other panels you mentioned on film.

Honestly though, if there's anything that people want us to cover that we just can't get to, I will let pretty much anybody else with a camera/camcorder & tripod go film it and then send us the clip (if they want) to add to this project. Then again, a lot of our filming schedule through out the weekend could turn into last minute things, so I'm not sure how it will all work out, but we'll try our best!

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • godofthelikegodofthelike Registered User
    edited August 2009
    howdy dowdy that's how i feel about this

godofthelike on
  • [email protected]Jules@Party934.com Registered User
    edited August 2009
    This is seriously awesome.

Make sure when you cover the pub crawl to show up for the Gryffindor vs Slytherin duel and record the soon to be infamous Bad Dance Off (a la American Wedding) between the Gryffindor cheer leader and Slytherin.

Personally, I wouldn't mind sticking my mic in front of you face at some time (and the others involved)

[email protected] on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    As a fellow personage who's putting some effort into making PAX just that little bit more special for us forum members, I for one support this endeavor whole heartedly! If there is any way to say to fellow gaming fans who won't come to PAX for reasons along the lines of 'it's too far away' or indeed 'not for me thanks', then you just need to show them this DVD and they will change their minds. If not, then they are probably dead inside or something.

Also note the use of the word 'won't' in the above text. Please do not flame me if you simply cannot afford the time or money to go, this is not a slight against you! It's just those refusnicks who seem to think they have to pray at the alter of Penny Arcade to even bother going. These people are foolish fools, but I digress.

With regards to coverage, I think you may be missing a couple of key events that may need covering, even though they will likely be filmed by other outlets. These are; The Brodeo Reunion, Giant Bombcast and ListenUP Live. These are will likely be very popular events so you may wish to include them in your coverage.

On a final note; I would love to say that I'm in the position to help out in the creation of this DVD, but sadly my media related duties there prevent me from doing so.

Nevertheless I do wish you all the best of luck with it!

+1

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
    edited August 2009
    I dunno how easy it's going to be to film the pub crawl, especially because a few members of my crew are participating in it, but I'll try my best.

Also, thanks to a friend, we should have buttons to hand out to anybody that wants to be on film. That is, as long as they get here on time.

@Jules: If you want to talk to us during the weekend about anything, that's fine with me. :D

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • [email protected]omJules@Party934.com Registered User
    edited August 2009
  • ReverendJynxedReverendJynxed Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Do you guys need any help with stills and the like?

ReverendJynxed on
    edited August 2009
    Do you guys need any help with stills and the like?

We'll have a few people taking stills, but anybody is more then welcome to submit theirs to us. We'll probably end up putting a big slide show of some sort on one of the DVD's when it's all done and we'll take pretty much anything you guys submit, even if it's pictures of what people are drawing in PictoChat. :P Maybe even some of the best ones will be used as menu backgrounds too, unless we decide to get technical with that part.

BTW, we will not have buttons, sorry... Maybe next year (Prime and/or East) we could have '09 buttons to give to people that otherwise would have got them this year, if that makes sense.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • GodSinGodSin Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I've been wanting to do something along the lines of what your doing for the last few years, I just haven't had the hardware available to make it possible *Sigh*

However I will be taking my camera *Canon Rebel XTi* to pax again and be the typical shutter bug :)
    I would rather enjoy being a part of a project like this and if taking pictures will help you out count me in.

GodSin on
    edited September 2009
    That's awesome, as I've told a few others, anybody is welcome to send us any still pictures they take through out the weekend. I actually just updated the OP (Feedback part) for this sort of thing.

I also updated the Buttons section, and will confirm that a couple of us will be at the Pre-PAX Dinner, and I will try to follow along with the pub crawl to film some crazy things, but we'll see how that goes. Any of you that are going along with them are welcome to take pictures and videos to submit to us as well if you'd like because I doubt I alone will be able to cover much of it.

EDIT: One more thing, if anybody wants to find me, I will likely be participating in the WotC Dungeon Delve in the Saturday morning slot. I've yet to look at which room that's actually in, but it won't be hard to find me. Because of this, I'm sure the rest of the crew can film the Make a Strip Panel and maybe more during that time period.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I will be shooting for the PAX Photo Patrol, and as per the spirit of the Photo Patrol, will be posting the videos online for free. However, if you would like to collaborate and coordinate on which events will be covered, I believe this would benefit both our causes. It would also be cool if we could combine forces for better coverage of some of the higher-profile stuff in the Main Theatre, including the 3000-Man Knuckle Crack In Surround Sound. I have a graphic schedule constructed in this thread, if you would like a visual aid for coordinating which events we will all cover. Let's work together and work out a coverage schedule so that we do not end up double-covering events.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Sounds good. I too plan on hosting some of my footage online when/if we get our website up, but it would be great to work together. Honestly though, from looking at your schedule, it seems like you guys have pretty much everything covered so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Either way though, my team is actually rather small and we just figured we would try to cover all the large events and the more popular panels, which we'll be filming as much of that as we can in HD.

Though combining our forces to cover things like the Knuckle Crack and PAX Pranks would be great. Let me know what you have in mind.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited September 2009
    You misinterpreted the picture: We do not yet have any Volunteers, so none of the events are being covered aside from what your guys and I will be. I'm suggesting we use the graphic to coordinate which events will be covered. Since time is running out, give me a call at 319-530-7366 after 6pm pacific time and we'll start coordinating, either on the phone or on xfire (prefer the latter, saves phone minutes). Tonight is the best time to do it, as I will be taking care of last-minute preparations/attending a going-away party tomorrow night and will be spending Thursday at the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle (I am a huge airplane nut, see www.sonicimpulsemedia.net for proof). We can also meet and do some additional coordination once I arrive in downtown Seattle Thursday evening somewhere around 10pm if you're up for it, plus I'd love to meet you guys.

As for special stuff that I have in mind, aside from trying our best to get into as many panels as we can, I propose we put forth special efforts for the events marked on the calendar as Photo Patrol Events, as they are generally the better events of the convention. Additionally, we will probably want coverage of the Omegathon. But let's just discuss this in greater detail tonight. It would be great if you could gather up your friends and we could all talk and hammer out a schedule.

BTW: My film camera is HD as well, so no worries there. =D

For anyone else out there who's thinking about helping out either with still photography or video photography, we encourage you to post here or in the Photo Patrol thread and get involved. We would love your help and assistance. Besides, it's all just for fun.

papaprinny on
    edited September 2009
    Ahh okay, yeah sorry I apparently didn't look over your thread very much. So from here on, anybody that's offered to help me, I would advise you to help out the PAX Photo Patrol as well. Tomorrow is probably the last day we could really get anything more planned out through the forums, but if anybody wants to volunteer to cover any of the events not listed on this thread or being covered in the other thread, please let us know.

I just spoke to a friend of mine who helped out last year, and he has a camcorder now so we should be able to cover everything that we have planned. I'm afraid I may not be able to change much of what my crew has already planned on that's mentioned here, but there's still going to be a lot of last minute planning so maybe we can get things figured out.

Also, if you want to meet up Thursday night, that's cool with me. I should be getting into my hotel in the afternoon some time, but I should be back around not too long after the Pre-PAX Dinner gets over, so we could figure something out. We're staying at the Hyatt BTW, though not all of my crew is with my group. One of my members is in the same hotel though, and the others are somewhere else. Just let me know.

EDIT: I've updated the OP a little more to reflect us now working together. Over all we should have 4 camcorders to go around, along with other people and cameras. This is going to keep me busy for a long time after PAX. :D

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited October 2009
    So I have now added a section to the top of the OP that will show some of our footage. I'm mostly just going to be uploading our interviews to start with, as I currently don't have all of the crews' footage. When I do get it though, I will start putting things together for you guys to see, and I will take requests as well if there's anything specific that people want to see. And yes, JoCo's Wil Wheaton song will probably be one of the first.

Anyway, I will upload more as I get around to them, I hope you all enjoy, and I'll keep you informed on how the post production is moving and when you should expect this to be finished.

EDIT (to avoid triple posting): More videos have been added, two of them in HD. If anybody has requests of something from the concerts or whatever else, let me know. Keep checking back here too (or on my YouTube page) as I will be adding more here and there. So yeah, this means I have most of the footage now. I'm expecting it to be done before Christmas, but we'll see. Enjoy.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been looking forward to this since PAX ended. Kudos man!

I'm hoping someone out there has Wil Wheatons Awesome Hour and MC Frontalots friday night concert.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
    edited October 2009

I got Frontalots concert, but only from one camera. As for Wil Wheatons Awesome Hour, unfortunately none of us got in... I camped outside the door with some friends for a while watching the line move in and an enforcer announcing several times "Wil Wheaton is currently full!" It was entertaining.

I'm really hoping somebody filmed the Awesome Hour too though, I'd like to see it.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited November 2009
    The OP is still being updated, but I figured I would bump this up to let you all know what the full contents of the set will be. The number of disks this will take is unknown at this point as it's going to depend on the quality I decide to export to. The concerts and bigger panels of course will be in the best quality possible, but the smaller panels and things may not be. I "should" be able to fit two concerts to a single DVD, but if I export the panels in the same quality then it will be the same, which sucks because that's going to take a ton of disks. So that's being worked out...

Anyway, we filmed both concerts and each of the six bands of course. Here's what else we got:

Panels:
    Opening Keynote, Penny Arcade Q&A's 1 & 2, Make a Strip, Omegathon Round 4 (with the Sex Generals performance) and the final round, Mega64, Red vs Blue, Star Wars: The Old Republic (2nd one), Game Design 101, An Evening with Scott Kurtz, Greetings from a Dead-Tree Dinosaur Cartoonist (Foxtrot comic), Make a Scene with Telltale Games, and a currently unknown panel... (I wasn't there, and I'm trying to figure it out).

We decided we should try and interview some of the famous people around PAX. It was really easy to get the interviews, but we have little experience so not too much can be expected by the quality, as you can already tell if you've seen the videos on YouTube. One of our crew members, Paul, got a few good interviews though, or game demonstrations I should say. I will put a link to them on here when I find it again, but they will probably be on the set as well. We interviewed people and game developers. Unfortunately, we didn't get names for any of the developers, so I'm just going to list the game that it was about. These all should be online before the set is released.
    Sean & Kasson of Freezepop
    Jeff & Sandeep from The Guild
    Geoff of Roosterteeth (Red vs Blue)
    Three members of Anamanaguchi
    Fairytale Fights game demonstration
    Split Second game demonstration
    Shank game demonstration
    Dark Void game demonstration
    Interview on Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Interview on Halo 3 ODST
    Interview with Monkey Island developer (not Ron Gilbert)
    Tour of the nVidia booth and demonstration of their new technology
    Interview with a few PAX enforcers

And there's some random expo hall, pub crawl, and ds world record footage as well, which may or may not be on the set. There's nothing too special about any of it, but if there's free room somewhere, it will probably be there.

That should be everything. Two of the Six band sets have been finished, and those are by far the most time consuming to work on. Once the rest of them are done, everything else shouldn't take very long. I'm still expecting this to be finished by New Years, which is getting much closer then I think. The OP will probably still be updated with videos as they're uploaded to my YouTube page, so keep an eye on that or just subscribe to my page, as I do plan on uploading quite a bit more.

I would also like to put a slide show of some sort on one of the disks, using pictures from ourselves as well as the community. There's probably a thread with links to thousands of pictures, so I may go through those. If anybody has an issue with that or can send your pictures to me, let me know.

Thanks you guys for all the support so far. I hope you enjoy what we've put out so far and what's to come. I personally can't wait for it to be done so I can think about PAX EAST and also finally have some free hard drive space. :P

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Hey dude, I meant to bring this up some time ago, but do you want to toss the CCST video I edited together on this thing?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2009
    Yeah sure that would be awesome. I completely forgot all about that.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited February 2010
    Finally, here's an update to bump the thread on up because I don't think anybody noticed the updates up top in the OP.

No, the set isn't quite finished yet. Read the updates in the OP for details on that. The reason I'm bumping this is because we have a website up and running now. From now on we're going to be looking for more dedicated volunteers to help film the larger events such as the concerts, and we're going to want to get as much community involvement as possible. This is more important now that there may not be an Official DVD anymore. Seriously, if you guys film certain things that nobody else does and you just put it up on YouTube, that's great, but what if you did that and then submitted it to us (which is really easy btw) to be on our DVD set for even more people to see? You don't need to know or have hardly anything to really help us, so please, if you have any interest, check out our website and forums and get involved.

The link is in the OP, but here it is again. Check the updates there and on the site for details about the PAX09 set and why I have ran a bit late on it, which I apologize for. But hey, we learn from mistakes and now I know what to do next time around so it won't take as long.

Check out our website!

EDIT: Here's a 1080p preview of the set for those that missed it. Go to the actual page to see it in full HD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft5n_KQ6S50

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited March 2010
    Good day everybody. I understand some of you may be loosing hope for this project. You may be thinking "So PAX EAST begins in a week, and these guys say they're going to cover it, but... where the hell is the PAX09 set!?" Well, after 6 months of dealing with unstable Adobe software, I finally have an answer to that question: It's right here! Well, up at the top of the thread anyway.

That's right, it's finally finished and ready for download. Check the first post of this thread for details. Also, thank you everybody for your patience! And a special thanks to those who volunteered their time for this project.

After watching it a bit myself, I've noticed a few things I should have edited a bit more, but this is nearly as good as it's going to get. Also, PAX EAST is a week away, so this has to be out of our way now. It's not the greatest quality, but considering it's free, I hope you can all enjoy this very much. I also hope you look forward to our PAX East 2010 DVD.

EDIT: Something with the torrent my not be working properly. Let me know if you guys aren't getting connections or anything, and I'll look into it when I get back from work.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • RdrRdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can't wait to get home and watch this. Definitely will get me excited for next week.

I'll also help seed that torrent.

Rdr on
    edited March 2010
    I have a pretty good connection so the speed shouldn't be too bad, and there's two of us seeding it. I won't be home for a while so I can't see how it's going, so I hope it's working okay.

Anyway, hope ya enjoy it!

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited March 2010
    Going on 2 days of downloading and the first one is done.

However, I've been uploading the entire time and I've uploaded 20GB. :)

My average speed down has been: 48kb/s and average up has been: 125kb/s.

Rdr on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh gosh.. 15kb/s on a 50+ GB file... can I get a CD as swag at EAST instead? ;p

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    Each disc is a dual-layer DVD. Honestly, I would love to be able to distribute these as actual discs or in person at PAX, but because of how close to PAX EAST that it was released, it's not going to be possible. And I'm likely going to have to leave my computer off while I'm gone, so I won't be seeding. And I'm leaving on Monday because I'm taking the train. So sorry about all of that!

I should be able to upload a lot faster than I am, I'm wondering if Comcast finally caught on and is throttling me or something. I'll have the images on an external hard drive that I'm bringing with me, but I won't have time to be burning discs.

Things will get better as time goes on and PAX's come and go and we get better at what we do.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited March 2010
    Times like this I'm glad I don't have to deal with the god-awful Comcast. Good luck to you Comcast customers... We midwesterners don't have to deal with that communist throttling crap.
    For what it's worth, me and my one megabit upstream connnection will be seeding while gone at PAX, so long as Win7 doesn't... crash... Scratch that. It's definitely going down. Sorry guys. I'll get it back up once I get back, at the very least.

papaprinny on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Times like this I'm glad I don't have to deal with the god-awful Comcast. Good luck to you Comcast customers... We midwesterners don't have to deal with that communist throttling crap.
    For what it's worth, me and my one megabit upstream connnection will be seeding while gone at PAX, so long as Win7 doesn't... crash... Scratch that. It's definitely going down. Sorry guys. I'll get it back up once I get back, at the very least.

lol Windows7 and Comcast bash all-in-one! Yeah.. the stream significantly increased to 500kb/s! I would seed while at PAX, but I'm in for the BYOC and I'm pretty sure they'll eat me if I seeded there... or maul me, or violently yell and shove me around, or stone me, or kill me, OR WORSE--CONFISCATE MY PAX BADGE!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    I would seed while at PAX, but I'm in for the BYOC and I'm pretty sure they'll eat me if I seeded there... or maul me, or violently yell and shove me around, or stone me, or kill me, OR WORSE--CONFISCATE MY PAX BADGE!

Don't worry about any one of those happening, I'm sure Big Red would scrounge up a militia of BYOC attendees to do all of the above. :P

Honestly though, Comcast has never really been a problem with me, and I'm constantly leeching and seeding various torrents 24/7. Can't say I'm happy with the current price though.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
    edited March 2010
    I'll have my PC on the entire time I'm there. Right now there are 5 seeders so I'm sure I'll finish at some point and I'll seed for people.

Rdr on
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome! Downloading now and will seed when done.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
    edited March 2010
    I've noticed what looks like a couple more seeds so I'm not going to worry about it much. My computer is going off in about an hour, though Papaprinny should at least be able to seed for another couple days. I think...

Anyway, if anybody does get it done please seed for everybody else at least until I get back next Monday. We really appreciate it!

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png
  • RaymanRayman Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I have a pretty good connection so the speed shouldn't be too bad, and there's two of us seeding it. I won't be home for a while so I can't see how it's going, so I hope it's working okay.

Anyway, hope ya enjoy it!

I am less than 2 days from completion and I will keep sharing for awhile...I look forward to Pax East video!! Do you have an ETA on when you might post Wil's Keynote? Thanks for these, they rock!

Rayman on
    edited March 2010
    I won't have an honest ETA for anything until I get back home, but we should be able to post some things online before too long.

Coldbrew on
    1urq87ra7ws0.png