Merch Industrial Recruitment Post (Updated 4/14/10)
Bonjour. Un plaisir de te parler encore. Merch Industrial recrute encore pour notre aventure française de légion étrangère
For those of you who aren't French, we are now! We're taking up residence with our long time space brosefs, Tau Ceti Federation in their space to allow us to assist our Northern Coalition friends against our old nemesis Sir Molle and his gaggle of sycophants in what is looking to shape up to be the Third Great War. As always, this is the best time to join us.
We're first-and-a-half class citizens now! Vive la France!
If you're interested in the Penny-Arcade corporation, Merch Industrial, read these instructions carefully.
We have some very simple requirements to join Merch Industrial. You must have a Penny Arcade account and have contributed to the community
. There. That's it. We are a corporation for Penny Arcade community members to play alongside other Penny Arcade community members. We've loosened our restrictive recruiting standards to allow for people who may have previously been worried about not being able to get in to apply
: Hostile corp history will still be rejected, so our fine forums friend from Finfleet, the dude from Aggression(dot) and angry lowsec pirate girl from the EVE Chat thread can feel confident that Sonelon will be rejecting you. Everyone else is welcome. Oh, yeah, Sonelon is our new recruitment guy. Courthouse (that's me) has stepped away from that role to focus on actually playing EVE for a while.
This isn't rampant elitism, we want to play with people who share the common internet culture found on these boards. We're not looking for join-for-guild types of internet nomads. This forum has a culture and we're all playing together because we identified with that culture. Due to that we've suffered catastrophe after catastrophe in the last 2 months and emerged just as strong (although billions of isk lighter in the wallets) when most every other group in EVE or any other game would have splintered and broke.
We also want to weed out the spies who can't get into [LODRA] and think that Merch is a free pass into the alliance. If you've got a corp history a mile long, you know what this game's about, you know who the Goons are and if you've been around PA for a while, you've probably had a clue who Merch Industrial is. If you didn't join already and/or have hostile corp history we're going to be brutal with our scrutiny. Convo or EVEMail Sonelon before applying.
We're here to play EVE with some other chill people who 'get' cocks dicks lol jokes.
How to join Merch Industrial:
a. Create a trial account by going to http://www.eve-online.com
and registering a new account
- OR –
b. Post in this thread/find a friend with Steam/Access Steam for a free 21 day trial.
- OR -
c. If you know someone who plays already, ask them to refer you using their EvE account and you get an extended trial, and that person gets 30 days free if you subscribe.
- OR -
d. Reactivate your old account
1. Go to https://wiki.goonfleet.com
and check out the publicly viewable pages about character creation. [Some of these are really outdated but it's basically still the best resource available anywhere on the web, including EVE's own wiki and tutorial.]
2. Create a character. Using the goonfleet wiki is recommended as it provides a better explaination of the process than the tutorial, especially if you find yourself interested in particular aspects of EVE (mining, production, marketing, pvp...)
3. DO THE TUTORIAL
. I repeat. DO THE TUTORIAL
. The tutorial is about 2-3 hours or so long and it covers the most basic of functionality in the game. If you’re the type with adolescent or adult ADHD that never reads the manuals and always skips cutscenes in favor of the ‘I’ll figure it out’ mentality, take a Xanax then, OHGOD DO THE TUTORIAL
, it was revamped in Apocrypha and it's really informative, it also provides you with skillbooks that you'll use towards your career path and several million isk worth of loot and rewards. It's totally worth it. I did it again, recently, for an alt account I set up. Trust me on this one. There are sections for people who want to do combat (pvp/missions), industry, exploration and mercantilism. Do one, or all of them. They really are helpful.
4. When you’ve completed the tutorial, go to the People & Places button and select 'Corporation' from the pull down menu. Put 'Merch Industrial' in the box. When you hit search and see our corp come up, right-click on the corp logo and select Show Info. From there you should see an Apply to Corp button. Be sure to include your PA forums name in your application. (You can apply to the corp from any station in the game now, but you must be docked up.)
If you have not received a reply or been accepted into the corporation after 48 hours, send a brief in-game EVEMail to Sonelon, Merch Industrial’s recruitment director. If he rejects your application, check your EVEMail inbox. He's got an itchy 'reject' finger, and he may have asked you to reapply because he hit reject on accident. If you have no such message and really *are* a special snowflake who was rejected against the will of the creator of life, the universe and everything, you can appeal to Courthouse via EVEMail.
5. Once accepted you should click on the Corporation button and check under Bulletins for useful information. DO NOT REPLY TO ANY CORP OR ALLIANCE MAIL. A reply to any corp-wide or alliance-wide mail is sent to every person in the respective organization. In fact, don’t send any mail for the first couple weeks; just ask for help in corp chat.
6. Go to http://forums.merchindustrial.org
and register for an account there under your EVE pilot’s name. Don’t use your PA forums name (if different from your EVE pilot). Post to introduce yourself, remark on how awesome the forums are now, visit off-topic for some truly horrible posting (please keep coming back) and vote Courthouse ’10. (That's me, Koreban, I'm the Courthouse. Flattery works. So does bribery.)
7. Spy clause: You will be called a spy. You are a spy. We know you’re a spy and it’s only a matter of time until we catch you in your spying ways.
**This not so much anymore since we don't actually own any space** Still, thick skins are expected, see part 10.
8. Use corp chat. Use it often. Seriously. We love newbies. We'll give you money if you ask for it. We'll help you get to wherever we're at or show you the ropes. You just have to ask. Whenever you log in, chat it up with us. EVE is a miserable game to play by yourself. It can be the most amazing experience you've had behind a keyboard with some friends though.
9. Don't call it a guild, Don't call your character a toon, and no it's not like WoW at all and most of the players in EvE are either WoW refugees/post-addicts or never played it and never want to hear about it. Any or all of the above will get you shot by Courthouse, (I'll totally do it too).
10. Finally, a warning (This coincides with the spy clause): If you don't have a thick skin, don't apply. You will be mocked, you will be called a spy, you will read words you never though you'd see in chat windows, you will see every racial and ethnic slur used hourly and it will offend all of your pseudo-PC space bushido e-honor sensibilities. Four letter word: cope. When you die and lose all your stuff you will be laughed at. Life is hard, and so is EVE. You've been warned.
(okay, this is like half an edit. I had a bunch of shit to post, then this French thing came up and I couldn't use the old stuff, but I didn't have time to make a bunch of new stuff, so, sorry, this is what you get. PM me if you have a picture or something you want me to put in the OP.)