As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7: Thread for sale, two previous owners, apply within...

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok fuck it, I went ahead and ordered one copy to find the limitations. Also, I found this which I'm going to try - it appears to be a way to do an in-place install of a lower version of Win 7, so those with RC Ultimate can go to RTM Pro or whatever.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, on that note, why the fuck do I have to do such things in the modern age? There is never any god damn reason I should have to reinstall all my applications, ever.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, on that note, why the fuck do I have to do such things in the modern age? There is never any god damn reason I should have to reinstall all my applications, ever.

Because until app developers actually do things RIGHT, there will always be some orphaned and/or lost file from doing this sort of upgrade that will break it and mess things up.

Reportedly, Steam and WoW are done right and you can just copy the folders into the new Program Files (x86) folder and they'll run.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    Do you guys know when the student discount offer will run out?

I believe it was until the beginning [or end] of January.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Reportedly, Steam and WoW are done right and you can just copy the folders into the new Program Files (x86) folder and they'll run.

They do.

I did have to do some fiddling with Steam when going from 32 to 64 bit, which I fixed by running the Steam installer. Once that was done I dragged my steamapps folder over.. and everything was happy.

I don't have WoW installed anymore, but I drug my original installation folder around from launch until about three months ago with zero issues.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue where sometimes stuff you direct download seemingly takes forever to open the Save Where dialogue and when it pops up and you select where you want it to save it is finished in seconds? It seems to be downloading the files BEFORE I choose where to save it and its seemingly doing the same thing with Youtube as well. Video won't start for ages and when it does the full bar is loaded.

Well, things do indeed start downloading before you pick the actual folder where you want it. That's why downloads sometimes seem to start out so fast. It's odd it's actually downloading the entire file that quick, though, assuming it's not really small.

Well these are sometimes 20MB files, so its definitely downloading the entire file before running the prompt to ask me where to download it.

Now I'm kinda worried because if stuff can self download to my PC before I confirm then surely a virus could get onto my PC itself.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue where sometimes stuff you direct download seemingly takes forever to open the Save Where dialogue and when it pops up and you select where you want it to save it is finished in seconds? It seems to be downloading the files BEFORE I choose where to save it and its seemingly doing the same thing with Youtube as well. Video won't start for ages and when it does the full bar is loaded.

Well, things do indeed start downloading before you pick the actual folder where you want it. That's why downloads sometimes seem to start out so fast. It's odd it's actually downloading the entire file that quick, though, assuming it's not really small.

Well these are sometimes 20MB files, so its definitely downloading the entire file before running the prompt to ask me where to download it.

Now I'm kinda worried because if stuff can self download to my PC before I confirm then surely a virus could get onto my PC itself.
    Not unless you execute the file.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also! So far this ghetto cross-grade from Ultimate RC to Pro RTM is going smoothly. The registry hack and edit to the CD image from DigitalRiver or whoever successfully started an upgrade install which is running now.

This makes the entire RC to RTM process bearable.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have we had any comparisons of updates from vista to win7 compared to fresh installs yet? I know that 99% of the problems that people have with vista were due to upgrading rather then fresh installs.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a Laptop and a Desktop.

I am going to order the student version of professional, and then make it a bootable ISO using the handy hack.

If I install XP on the laptop (it currently has Windows 7 RC) will I be able to use said bootable ISO on both the laptop and the PC? Or just one?
    Also! So far this ghetto cross-grade from Ultimate RC to Pro RTM is going smoothly. The registry hack and edit to the CD image from DigitalRiver or whoever successfully started an upgrade install which is running now.

So there is a way to go from Ultimate RC to RTM now?

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why would it work on more than one machine; you get one license upgrade key with the student version. The ISO will boot W7 and install on as many machines as you want, but you'd need a different key.

All of these people trying to use the student upgrade offer to get W7 from either nothing or from the free RC trial are cluttering up the forums where people with legitimate windows licenses are having problems upgrading 'properly', ie. in a way windows and the EULA actually support (Not all this double install and registry hack bullshit).

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A week in and I'm pretty much adjusted to, and now hooked on, Windows 7. I keep pestering my boss to get my MSDN subscription renewed so I have a license to install it on my work PC...ya know, for testing purposes.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well this is weird. When I installed Devil May Cry 4, it works fine in DX9, but in DX10, it limits my resolution to 1280x1024. What in the world?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well this is weird. When I installed Devil May Cry 4, it works fine in DX9, but in DX10, it limits my resolution to 1280x1024. What in the world?

Holy shit okay. I'm not the only one.

I only have the demo for DMC4, which runs optionally in either DX9 or DX10. So I wanted to test DX10 mode but yeah, it limits my resolution to that too. It's weird.

I haven't tried DX9 mode in Win7 though but when I used to run the game in XP it would let me run in 1680x1050. I 'll try this again when i get home.

Also, I was going to google for some workaround like sometimes you can manually edit config files to get the resolution you want, but i haven't looked to see if such a workaround exists for DMC4 on DX10 yet

slash000 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So if I were to, let's say, already be running Vista 64 without any real issues, is there a real need to upgrade right now? It sounds like Win7 is marginally better than no-trouble Vista and might only be a necessity for people with kinda-shitty Vista.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    So if I were to, let's say, already be running Vista 64 without any real issues, is there a real need to upgrade right now? It sounds like Win7 is marginally better than no-trouble Vista and might only be a necessity for people with kinda-shitty Vista.

I like the extra little UI things, and I think if you can get it somehow for $30-50, you may as well grab it now before the deals dry up.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »

If you're already happy with Vista.... meh. It's not like it's this super-wiz-bang-wow improvement over past OS's, and the improvements it has made are pretty much all about getting out of your way, so you don't really notice them.

From what I've used of Vista (which isn't much), the only real significant difference I've noticed is the new task bar.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, no, this is Europe. I think I can get a Home Premium OEM for about $130 at the cheapest, $250 for retail.

Edit: Guess I gotta supress that little guy in my head looking at Win7 and screaming "Newer! Better! Faster! STRONGER!".

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    two questions:

1) is anyone having issues with digital river right now? I've tried to purchase a copy of 7 with two debit cards from different banks and a credit card, and it declined all of them with the very unhelpful "Payment Authorization Failed" and nothing else

2) If i do download from digital river, do I need a windows machine to actually get at the files. My primary means of burning ISO's is on a mac, and i keep seeing stuff about .exes for it being thrown around

to answer my own question from a few pages back, you apparently have to be a windows machine to start with for this to work, trying from the mac end got me nowhere

ronzo on
  • Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    two questions:

1) is anyone having issues with digital river right now? I've tried to purchase a copy of 7 with two debit cards from different banks and a credit card, and it declined all of them with the very unhelpful "Payment Authorization Failed" and nothing else

2) If i do download from digital river, do I need a windows machine to actually get at the files. My primary means of burning ISO's is on a mac, and i keep seeing stuff about .exes for it being thrown around

to answer my own question from a few pages back, you apparently have to be a windows machine to start with for this to work, trying from the mac end got me nowhere

Fantastic work, Microsoft.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I, uh, had no problems with Digital River, and I was a day 1 downloader...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Shurakai wrote: »
    I have a Laptop and a Desktop.

I am going to order the student version of professional, and then make it a bootable ISO using the handy hack.

If I install XP on the laptop (it currently has Windows 7 RC) will I be able to use said bootable ISO on both the laptop and the PC? Or just one?

So there is a way to go from Ultimate RC to RTM now?

Yep. I posted it a little while up, but basically do exactly what is said here.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I buy the upgrade, and I have to do a clean install from 32-bit XP, then why should I have to install XP first? Why can't it just ask for that cd-key, before asking for the one I buy with the upgrade...

Probably because they figured out that a bazillion people were just using old 98 or 95 CD keys downloaded off the interwebs (or scrawled in marker across CD-Rs) to install XP all these years. Which is not (necessarily) a valid license. I'm guessing that their installer is checking now to make sure you have a validated install of XP (or Vista) on your drive (through WGA).

Which kinda makes sense, but is a gigantic pain in the ass.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bah, I could have sworn I read that you only need the CD key for XP for this, so much conflicting information.

I do have XP installed, but I specifically want to reformat my harddrive to merge two partitions, so presumably I could just run the Windows 7 install through XP, and then it will call for a clean install which will allow the opportunity of a reformat?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Theoretically. I've just decided that the Win7 installation process is an exercise in theoretics. It should but, I haven't personally upgraded from XP.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    Bah, I could have sworn I read that you only need the CD key for XP for this, so much conflicting information.

I do have XP installed, but I specifically want to reformat my harddrive to merge two partitions, so presumably I could just run the Windows 7 install through XP, and then it will call for a clean install which will allow the opportunity of a reformat?

start the install from in XP, and you should still be able to format the drive, it just has to detect that there is an XP install there.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

You're fine. As long as XP is on the drive when you boot from the CD, you can wipe the drives and repartition to your heart's content.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Holy shit okay. I'm not the only one.

I only have the demo for DMC4, which runs optionally in either DX9 or DX10. So I wanted to test DX10 mode but yeah, it limits my resolution to that too. It's weird.

I haven't tried DX9 mode in Win7 though but when I used to run the game in XP it would let me run in 1680x1050. I 'll try this again when i get home.
    It's weird since when I tried out another game in DX10 (Resident Evil 5, another Capcom game) I was able to go to my monitors native resolution (1680x1050).

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So for upgrades that require an existing windows install, what happens in the future if, say, you have a hard drive fail, and need to buy a new one?

LewieP on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You're fine. As long as XP is on the drive when you boot from the CD, you can wipe the drives and repartition to your heart's content.

And if XP is on an old IDE drive that was connected for the sole purpose of installing W7 on a completely different brand-new SATA drive? Most of what I've read deals with partitions rather than completely separate hard drives. Someone here mentioned doing something like this a little while ago, but didn't go into specifics. I think it was slash.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I think that was me since I wanted to do that, but my HDD's were both SATA.

Bartholamue on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, but that IDE drive came from Dell-made machine which came with XP ages ago. I wouldn't be adding the new SATA drive to an old machine, I'd be taking the IDE drive from the old Dell and plugging it into a new motherboard/processor/case. For me to dual-boot, I would first have to get the IDE XP drive to work properly in the new machine, but it coming from an OEM computer complicates things.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh, so basically you want to dual boot XP and 7 but only use the 7 upgrade license? Ya, you can't do that. using the 7 upgrade means that you can no longer run that copy of XP legally.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    martinimartini Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought you also can't use an OEM version of windows on a machine that it wasn't sold with, since OEM versions are cheaper due to being 'tied' to that machine, is that true?

Edit: a good article on licensing questions (separate from install questions), here.

martini on
    I raised the wall. And I will be the one to knock it down.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Personally, I would just forgo dual-booting because it's far simpler (relatively) to just run Windows 7 on the new machine. But every goddamn source on the net tells me something entirely different concerning the upgrade media. Everytime I think it's settled, something else comes up!

So I have two machines. One is brand-new, and has no OS installed on its SATA drive. The other is an eight or nine year-old Dell that came with XP 32-bit on its IDE drive which has been upgraded to SP3. I have one DVD on which is the W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I have the 25-character product key for W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I am really, really tired of researching conflicting sources. I do not want to dual-boot.

Please save me from this insanity.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »

And if XP is on an old IDE drive that was connected for the sole purpose of installing W7 on a completely different brand-new SATA drive? Most of what I've read deals with partitions rather than completely separate hard drives. Someone here mentioned doing something like this a little while ago, but didn't go into specifics. I think it was slash.

Install XP on SATA drive, upgrade to Win7. You don't need to do anything with that IDE drive. Dell OEM installs of WinXP are tied to the motherboard (read: Dell motherboards), it'll install just fine and you won't be breaking any laws.

Tanooki Mario on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    martini wrote: »
    I thought you also can't use an OEM version of windows on a machine that it wasn't sold with, since OEM versions are cheaper due to being 'tied' to that machine, is that true?

Edit: a good article on licensing questions (separate from install questions), here.

You can buy OEM licenses yourself. NewEgg sells them. Once you install that OEM key on a machine though, it's tied to that machine. Microsoft uses some algorithm to figure out if your machine has changed substantially enough to be considered a 'new machine' in violation of your OEM license.

Tanooki Mario on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You can buy OEM licenses yourself. NewEgg sells them. Once you install that OEM key on a machine though, it's tied to that machine. Microsoft uses some algorithm to figure out if your machine has changed substantially enough to be considered a 'new machine' in violation of your OEM license.

You can change machines if you have a hardware failure.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

If you can convince Microsoft that 1) you're an OEM software builder and 2) you actually experienced a legitimate hardware failure. I spent four hours on the phone with those morons once over the later point. They claimed no crash reports being sent back to them meant I caused the failure.

Yes, because CPUs gently go into the dark night.

Tanooki Mario on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

If you can convince Microsoft that 1) you're an OEM software builder and 2) you actually experienced a legitimate hardware failure. I spent four hours on the phone with those morons once over the later point. They claimed no crash reports being sent back to them meant I caused the failure.

Yes, because CPUs gently go into the dark night.

Which is kind of funny, because every time I've moved my oem os to another machine I just did the online activation and everything was gravy.

Buttcleft on
This discussion has been closed.