Options

Windows 7: Thread for sale, two previous owners, apply within...

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Personally, I would just forgo dual-booting because it's far simpler (relatively) to just run Windows 7 on the new machine. But every goddamn source on the net tells me something entirely different concerning the upgrade media. Everytime I think it's settled, something else comes up!

So I have two machines. One is brand-new, and has no OS installed on its SATA drive. The other is an eight or nine year-old Dell that came with XP 32-bit on its IDE drive which has been upgraded to SP3. I have one DVD on which is the W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I have the 25-character product key for W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I am really, really tired of researching conflicting sources. I do not want to dual-boot.

Please save me from this insanity.

Just install the upgrade twice then on the brand new drive. Boot from the CD, choose custom install, partition and format as you see fit, and install the OS. DO NOT ACTIVATE or input your key when prompted. Instead, reboot, then boot from the CD again, choose Upgrade this time, and reinstall over the installation you just finished. According to the sources I've read, your key should now work when you try to activate Windows.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    martini wrote: »
    I thought you also can't use an OEM version of windows on a machine that it wasn't sold with, since OEM versions are cheaper due to being 'tied' to that machine, is that true?

Edit: a good article on licensing questions (separate from install questions), here.

You can buy OEM licenses yourself. NewEgg sells them. Once you install that OEM key on a machine though, it's tied to that machine. Microsoft uses some algorithm to figure out if your machine has changed substantially enough to be considered a 'new machine' in violation of your OEM license.

You can change machines if you have a hardware failure.

If you can convince Microsoft that 1) you're an OEM software builder and 2) you actually experienced a legitimate hardware failure. I spent four hours on the phone with those morons once over the later point. They claimed no crash reports being sent back to them meant I caused the failure.

Yes, because CPUs gently go into the dark night.

Which is kind of funny, because every time I've moved my oem os to another machine I just did the online activation and everything was gravy.

This has been my experience as well. I've had to call a couple of times but each hpone call was short and painless. I just told them the motherboard had died.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Personally, I would just forgo dual-booting because it's far simpler (relatively) to just run Windows 7 on the new machine. But every goddamn source on the net tells me something entirely different concerning the upgrade media. Everytime I think it's settled, something else comes up!

So I have two machines. One is brand-new, and has no OS installed on its SATA drive. The other is an eight or nine year-old Dell that came with XP 32-bit on its IDE drive which has been upgraded to SP3. I have one DVD on which is the W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I have the 25-character product key for W7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit. I am really, really tired of researching conflicting sources. I do not want to dual-boot.

First machine: Requires a Custom (Clean) Install with a Full Version license - there's nothing to upgrade from. That said, the registry hack and double-install trick would technically work, you just wouldn't be compliant with the EULA and all that.

Second machine: XP requires a Custom (Clean) Install (because of XP and 32-64 bit) but qualifies you for an Upgrade Version license. Because the Upgrade Version license key/media requires a previously installed OS to be there, you would need to begin the install from within the current OS (XP 32-bit) *or* use the registry hack or double-install tricks. If you have the .exe Student download you will need to convert or find the .iso file type for any of the above to be viable.

Remember; Licensing Upgrade (discounted, upgrade versions of the product) and Technical Upgrades (In-Place or Custom/Clean Install) are completely separate from each other, but not always documented as such by MS or 3rd parties. This should be changing soon, but is still confusing.
    I thought you also can't use an OEM version of windows on a machine that it wasn't sold with, since OEM versions are cheaper due to being 'tied' to that machine, is that true?

Edit: a good article on licensing questions (separate from install questions), here.

You can buy OEM licenses yourself. NewEgg sells them. Once you install that OEM key on a machine though, it's tied to that machine. Microsoft uses some algorithm to figure out if your machine has changed substantially enough to be considered a 'new machine' in violation of your OEM license.

You can change parts under warranty on what is technically the same device.

Also, the System Builder license agreement indicates that the OEM/Installer may only use the OEM license with *intent* to resell it, not for internal or personal use. See this explanation. I've never seen anyone not ignore this completely, though.

Like most other licensing restrictions, the technical and enforcement controls are minimal for the reselling and activation bits. It's an honor system.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

If you can convince Microsoft that 1) you're an OEM software builder and 2) you actually experienced a legitimate hardware failure. I spent four hours on the phone with those morons once over the later point. They claimed no crash reports being sent back to them meant I caused the failure.

Yes, because CPUs gently go into the dark night.

Which is kind of funny, because every time I've moved my oem os to another machine I just did the online activation and everything was gravy.

It's OK, I won in the end. Exclusively Apple now except for my HTPC, which runs Linux for XBMC.

Note: I work on Windows boxes for work, so I'm not just talking out of my ass RE: Win7.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Just install the upgrade twice then on the brand new drive. Boot from the CD, choose custom install, partition and format as you see fit, and install the OS. DO NOT ACTIVATE or input your key when prompted. Instead, reboot, then boot from the CD again, choose Upgrade this time, and reinstall over the installation you just finished. According to the sources I've read, your key should now work when you try to activate Windows.

After I boot again from the CD, do I input my key when prompted, or do I activate from within Windows after the second installation?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009

After I boot again from the CD, do I input my key when prompted, or do I activate from within Windows after the second installation?

When prompted should be fine. I haven't personally tried this method, but somebody linked an article a few pages back that outlined several different methods for a clean install from an upgrade disc, and this was one that didn't require hacking the registry; just twice as much time (which suprisingly isn't much for Win7).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whats the best way to get from RC 7100 to a clean install of Home Premium Upgrade, without reinstalling Vista?

All these workarounds are downright confusing (as to whether they apply to my scenario.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Home Premium Upgrade Version will perform a check for a qualifying OS (which the RC is not). As such, you'll need to have something installed (Vista or, by the workaround, Win7 RTM) but not activated, or use the registry hack to make it work.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want a program that lets me rearrange the taskbar preview tabs.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    You mean other than just dragging them around?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, so I'm upgrading now. It checked for compatibility and among other things (it wants me to uninstall some programs it doesn't like, such as iTunes) it came up with this:
    These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.

o Storage controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller
    o Storage controllers: AK9URG7R IDE Controller

The only things that come to mind are my external hard drive and my virtual drive software (I use it legally, let's not go there).

I tried finding updated drivers and they don't exist. Should I just force the upgrade anyway? What do you guys think?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The preview tabs. Not the icons.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    The Home Premium Upgrade Version will perform a check for a qualifying OS (which the RC is not). As such, you'll need to have something installed (Vista or, by the workaround, Win7 RTM) but not activated, or use the registry hack to make it work.

Not true, as long as you're doing a clean install. The RC counts as a qualifying OS when installing the retail upgrade. No work-around needed.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well I went ahead and did it, and I love it so far. Except that SF4 no longer works. I'm updating my driver right now since I haven't done so since May. Hopefully that fixes everything, because I really like everything about this OS.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Not true, as long as you're doing a clean install. The RC counts as a qualifying OS when installing the retail upgrade. No work-around needed.

Yeah, I was about to make an angry post about spreading misinformation.

I had the 7100 build installed, and I was able to do a format+install with zero issues, using an iso made from the digital river upgrade.

xzzy on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Am I right in assuming I'll encounter a problem by obtaining the W7 64-bit Pro upgrade .exe, and trying to open it on a machine running XP 32-bit?

This is a mess, really.

Check out the fixes here.

This (at least, the ISO download) should probaby go in the OP.

Is the ISO download W7 64-bit Pro?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do I get my Steam to work on Windows 7? Do I just copy my file folder from my other drive and paste it to my windows 7 drive?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

yeah, i'm pretty sure he means... "how would you rearrange them other than just dragging the order of the previews around?"

Xantus on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whats the best way to get from RC 7100 to a clean install of Home Premium Upgrade, without reinstalling Vista?

All these workarounds are downright confusing (as to whether they apply to my scenario.)

Yeah just use the registry hack but choose "Custom Install".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do I get Steam to work on Windows 7? Do I just copy my file folder from my other drive and paste it to my windows 7 drive?

I downloaded the steam installer and then told it to install into the Steam folder that was already on my games drive. it didn't have any problems.

Xantus on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You don't even have to do that, in fact. You just run Steam.exe from whatever folder it's in, optionally copying it to your Win7 driver first.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And so I try the upgrade install again. It rolls back nicely when it fails, but it looks like it's getting hung up trying to upgrade iSCSI. The interblags has suggested that pulling the network might solve this problem, so I'm trying that and the MIG_IGNORE thing.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So ultimately I've decided that I'm not a fan of 7stacks, for reasons including the small text font and having to choose how to close it instead of having both options at once.

Is there a similar program that makes use of the taskbar?

Also, still holding out for that one synching program that works.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xantus wrote: »

yeah, i'm pretty sure he means... "how would you rearrange them other than just dragging the order of the previews around?"

If you mean the preview tabs for multi-tabbed apps like IE, you can freely re-order the tabs themselves in IE and that should be reflected in the previews.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Upgraded my netbook to Windows 7 and its been fine so far. Only problem I've had so far was trying to get my xbox and pc to recognise each other. Couldn't getting it working through windows media extender but after pressing some random buttoms they seem to be communicating, I just don't know how I got it working...

swift on
    nexx360.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I might be getting a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for £11.50. If it works out, I'll post how.

LewieP on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm in love with the new taskbar its pretty awesome and I see no need to reinstall objectdock now because of it. I just pin my most used apps and such to the bar and I'm set. My only real complaint is I HATE how it handles folders. No real way to just say drag and drop My docs to the bar and have it work like a link. I have to load up the quick launch bar dump the default buttons on it and use it to link to the various folders I want. Would it of killed MS to give us some sort of OSX stacks option?

powersurge on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    So, I might be getting a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for £11.50. If it works out, I'll post how.

<3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    powersurge wrote: »
    I think I'm in love with the new taskbar its pretty awesome and I see no need to reinstall objectdock now because of it. I just pin my most used apps and such to the bar and I'm set. My only real complaint is I HATE how it handles folders. No real way to just say drag and drop My docs to the bar and have it work like a link. I have to load up the quick launch bar dump the default buttons on it and use it to link to the various folders I want. Would it of killed MS to give us some sort of OSX stacks option?

The closest you can get is that you can pin commonly used folders to the windows explorer jump list. That's what I've done and it works well enough.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Am I right in assuming I'll encounter a problem by obtaining the W7 64-bit Pro upgrade .exe, and trying to open it on a machine running XP 32-bit?

This is a mess, really.

I don't know, it's gated. I'd imagine once in, you get all the available or appropriate options.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

This is a mess, really.

I don't know, it's gated. I'd imagine once in, you get all the available or appropriate options.

I believe it was Home Premium. What you can do is... not enter an activation key and once you are in Windows go to the Windows Anytime Upgrader Thingy™.

Shens on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    question: If i go through win741 and get a copy of 7 Pro-64 bit, install that on my macbook now, will i be able to install on a different machine in a few months time? I could use the windows install now, but i'm also looking to get a new machine in the next 6 months and would rather just pay 30 bucks once than have to pay more or multiple times

ronzo on
  • Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So yeah, I have had Windows 7 up and running for about 3 or 4 months now (Release Client which still works for some reason, Im waiting for this thing to crash and tell me to get off my ass and buy a copy any day now).

Anyhow im watching a football game the other day and the commerical with the dude comes on and he talks about how you can drag your crap across the screen and get two things displayed at once. I thought nothing of it at the time but this morning im working on an impossibly complex Chemistry lab and moving back and forth between my data entry sheet and the lab manual and then I remeber about the commerical...

I drag the two things i need to each side of the screen and Viloa!...just as advertised. Its been done on other OSes for quite sometime im sure, but man did it make my lab go faster.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can also WinKey + left or right to do the same. WinKey + up maximizes, and WinKey + down restores (from maximized) or minimizes.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    question: If i go through win741 and get a copy of 7 Pro-64 bit, install that on my macbook now, will i be able to install on a different machine in a few months time? I could use the windows install now, but i'm also looking to get a new machine in the next 6 months and would rather just pay 30 bucks once than have to pay more or multiple times

You can use it on one computer at a time, so, in theory, if you un-install from your MacBook when you go to install on a new computer, you can use that same copy.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can also WinKey + left or right to do the same. WinKey + up maximizes, and WinKey + down restores (from maximized) or minimizes.

Wow, thats handy, thanks!

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you mean the preview tabs for multi-tabbed apps like IE, you can freely re-order the tabs themselves in IE and that should be reflected in the previews.

No, I want to do it for all applications, and from the taskbar itself. I'm a very spatially oriented person, so I like having things appear in a consistent order, even if it means rearranging a little bit after opening the program instances.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Wow, thats handy, thanks!

The keyboard shortcuts are essential for multiple monitors, as the edge that the monitors share doesn't trigger the resize. So if you have 2 monitors side by side, only the outer edges trigger the resize. To use the inner edges, you have to win-left or win-right while the window is in the monitor you want it on and it'll bind to the monitor area. I love it as I can have 4 programs spanned across my monitors at work now.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So when I open up a particular program it opens off screen.
    It seems that in Windows 7 you can't right click the bar and hit move (it's just not there anymore).

Uh.. any ideas 7 thread?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So when I open up a particular program it opens off screen.
    It seems that in Windows 7 you can't right click the bar and hit move (it's just not there anymore).

Uh.. any ideas 7 thread?

The move thing is there, you just have to right click the preview instead of the icon.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.