As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - The Why No Future Support Thread

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't connect to the online servers for shit. Gah.

I'm enjoying the co-op though in this game a lot. It's sort of an Arma experience except for more accessible. I'm cool with that. However I'm not cool with 3 load screens before you even get to the load screen for entering a level. And the horrible servers that are impossible to connect to. I should have gotten this for 360 instead.

Thats because the PC version of this game has a busted online, hence my choice to go with the 360 version.

I had it on the PS3 of all systems but yeah I'm sure it's just as busted.

On 360 ive played online a bunch of times with no issues.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rented the PS3 version today (while I wait for the 360 version to ship). Fun game, but damn that 3rd mission (defending the village) is fuckin hard.

Yall on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Rented the PS3 version today (while I wait for the 360 version to ship). Fun game, but damn that 3rd mission (defending the village) is fuckin hard.

I'm gonna be upset if GameFly doesn't send me Brutal Legend tomorrow. I got skipped both Op Flash and Magna Carta 2, even though I'm sure I've had both listed longer than most people.

Sheep on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ARMA gave me the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. ARMA 2 would be the same except my computer can't run it at all, even with its quad core, 4 gigs of ram, and 8800GT.

I'd give OpFlash a shot but there's already like a bajillion games I have to get this month.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

I'm gonna be upset if GameFly doesn't send me Brutal Legend tomorrow. I got skipped both Op Flash and Magna Carta 2, even though I'm sure I've had both listed longer than most people.

Tell me about it. I even emailed them about it, but got a 'suck it up and rent something else' kind of reply.

Yall on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has any one else encountered the problem where their coop campaigns don't save? It's really frustrating having to go and redo the earlier missions over and over again.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have the codes for the extra missions that you get from playing the min-web games on the official site?

Yall on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have the codes for the extra missions that you get from playing the min-web games on the official site?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/code/939188.html

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've played through most of them, they're all pretty tame and over next to instantly.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Tell me about it. I even emailed them about it, but got a 'suck it up and rent something else' kind of reply.

Whelp, I'm kinda agitated.

That reply won't really work in my situation because, hey, I've tried renting some other shit too and they refused to send it to me.

Got ODST about a week later than usual. Op Flash, Magna Carta 2, and Brutal Legend just skipped over me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If I don't get it today, I'm just gonna go buy it.

I re-started it specifically so I didn't have to buy this game, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol, and Borderlands. I mean that's 2 hundo plus right there. But if they aren't gonna ship me any of those, and I'm instead playing Godfather II, what's the frikkin point?

Yall on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey so: On the 360/PS3 version, is there support for split-screen co-op?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    I really want to like this, but man, they're not making it easy.

Apparently calling in a mortar strike on a target doesn't flag it as completed. So now I'm sitting here with a primary objective blown to shit by mortars and no way to continue.

Did they do any QA on this shit?

Echo on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I really want to like this, but man, they're not making it easy.

Apparently calling in a mortar strike on a target doesn't flag it as completed. So now I'm sitting here with a primary objective blown to shit by mortars and no way to continue.

Did they do any QA on this shit?

Which mission/objective? I mortared every objective I could because it's cool...didn't have problems.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And now I rescued some chopper pilots. Or would have, if they didn't decide to follow me for 50 meters and then stay behind and go down in a blaze of glory.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    And now I rescued some chopper pilots. Or would have, if they didn't decide to follow me for 50 meters and then stay behind and go down in a blaze of glory.

This sounds like the mission i keep failing at as well. all my dudes keep running into a pile of enemies and getting mowed down, and by myself i cant take on like 15 enemy soldiers without getting shot in the face.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Apparently, you're supposed to go through the map and, with the entire team selected, order them to move fast to the extraction point. It's the only way to get them to listen. I've yet to reach this mission so I wouldn't have a clue though.

I'm re did the first mission last night and spent around 2-3 hours on it. This was on normal. I only died twice! (This is fantastic in my book). I also killed a member of Saber team 3, had no idea it was one of the boys running in from the hills from the the other side of the village/town/hamlet/port. I was so proud of the fact that I'd headshotted the guy and then a split second later I get the 'WATCH YOUR FIRE! FRIENDLIES!' call on the radion. Bastards.

So yeah, there are a lot of faults with the game but I guess it's like STALKER, when it works, it works really good. And fuck that APC at the North end of the island. (I never completed the secondary objectves before).

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Did you have any luck with the 3rd mission? I've attempted the damn village defense about 15 times.

I am ready to give up

Also, maybe I am completely stupid, But this game could have really used a proper tutorial ( a boot camp, etc). I've never felt so completely lost in a console game in a very long time.

Ambivalent on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ambivalent wrote: »

Did you have any luck with the 3rd mission? I've attempted the damn village defense about 15 times.

I am ready to give up

Also, maybe I am completely stupid, But this game could have really used a proper tutorial ( a boot camp, etc). I've never felt so completely lost in a console game in a very long time.

Point at the two machine guns and have two of your guys man them. Than keep the other two dudes with you towards the center of the village and move to hotspots accordingly. Until I got my guys on the MG's I couldn't do much but they will keep the PLA pinned and kill a few making your job much easier. Use the map to get your men to engage threats as well.

One thing im not liking about this game is no missions for pilots or tanks or any of that cool stuff, although theres an achievement for finding the chopper and flying it in the first mission. In the second mission a PLA attack helo landed near my position and I killed the pilots but couldn't fly it. Damn.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I managed to get one guy on a MG and two in the APC while I picked up a marksman rifle and sniped at stuff. Still took a few tries.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I am ready to give up

Yeah I did (although I could never get my guys to use the mounted weapon...).

I restarted the mission and hijacked one of the APC's and took it out of harms way while I killed the AT teams. Then I went back and got the APC and continued to use it for the duration of the mission, including the village defense.

The Mk19 grenade launcher made easy work of the PLA. :winky:

Yall on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I am ready to give up

I restarted the mission and hijacked one of the APC's and took it out of harms way while I killed the AT teams. Then I went back and got the APC and continued to use it for the duration of the mission, including the village defense.

Defending that village was a fuck of a time. Took me a million damn tries because my team would NOT take cover, EVER. Eventually I just took everyone planted them in the middle of the village and let them do their thing. I won by accident.

I played co-op online with randoms and got teamed up with some really compitent people and the game became 700% more fun to play.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »

I am ready to give up

Defending that village was a fuck of a time. Took me a million damn tries because my team would NOT take cover, EVER. Eventually I just took everyone planted them in the middle of the village and let them do their thing. I won by accident.

I played co-op online with randoms and got teamed up with some really compitent people and the game became 700% more fun to play.

I'm hoping to do some of this soon. In fact I just got a headset for my PS3 so I might try tonight, but I'll hopefully have the 360 version soon to play with the other PA 360 folks.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im so stuck on mission...5 i think it is? Where i have to find that helicopter team, i keep getting killed by some kind of air-strike when i try to move in to take out the AA.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Im so stuck on mission...5 i think it is? Where i have to find that helicopter team, i keep getting killed by some kind of air-strike when i try to move in to take out the AA.

Really? I don't recall that bit.

A few times though I found it better to just restart it from the beginning.

So have many of you tried co-op yet? I played 1 game for a little while the other night, but no one was really talking, which sort of ruined it for me.

Yall on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Really? I don't recall that bit.

A few times though I found it better to just restart it from the beginning.

So have many of you tried co-op yet? I played 1 game for a little while the other night, but no one was really talking, which sort of ruined it for me.

Ah I know this part.
    It's the attack chopper killing him.
    There's two anti air units on a hill with two machine gunners at the base of the hill.
    I flanked around left and went up the back of the hill only encountering a couple of enemies near the top.
    Proned my way close enough to call the motar strike on the anti air and picked of the straglers at the bottom of the hill from up top.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So after 10.5 missions I've had zero opportunities to drive a tank, and 1 to fly a chopper. Am I mission something?

I was under the impression this was more of a 'sandbox' game.

Yall on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    someone change the thread title to The Why No Patch? Thread

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So after 10.5 missions I've had zero opportunities to drive a tank, and 1 to fly a chopper. Am I mission something?

I was under the impression this was more of a 'sandbox' game.

I know on some missions the helicopters actually land (enemy heli's I mean) and the passengers all get off, I'm assuming the pilot exits too as the chopper just sits there. You could, in theory, kill the soldiers and then take the chopper..... Never tried it as I tend to use the sissy approach of running the other way every time a red marker appears on the compass.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390475

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the AI is pretty stupid (I refuse to acknowledge that goddamn stealth mission). well this guy looked through the AI scripts and found that the AI's vision distance and accuracy have been nerfed by CM. He made a couple of mods. Hardcore, semi-hardcore and improved accuracy. the improved accuracy dosent affect the enemies view distances but improves their accuracy. the other 2 also improve their view distance.

Changes:

More view distance (Semi and Hardcore mod only)
    better accuracy
    faster recovery (semi and hardcore mod only)
    better detection range (semi and hardcore mod only)
    better hearing (semi and hardcore mod only)
    larger "danger close" range (semi and hardcore mod only)
    no invisible shield
    no weapon damage reduction for shooting at player
    no accuracy reduction for shooting at player
    Morale and Experience of AI now taken into account when shooting at player

*Note about campaign mission* (Semi and Hardcore mod only)
    This mod can make some things in the campaign bug out a little due to placement of unit objects within the map. you wont find any missions are broken though, for instance in Mission 2 it is nearly impossible to pass undetected due to the proximity of the second fire team to the convoy at the start of the level.

Originally Posted by TemplarGFX
    ...so you used this in multiplayer and it allowed you to play?

Originally Posted by Abdi
    Yeah it did. I was doing COOP online with hardcore ai. No problems works fine. I was doing that mission 6 where you attack that mg nests on the hills. We were using prone all the time trying to take out that mgs. It felt like Omaha Beach. Bullets going past my head constantly. Hell of an expierience.
    *Note about Players Fire Team* (Semi and Hardcore mod only)
    As this modifies AI as a whole, your team mates are now AWESOME. but they are also a little pycho! your REALLY need to be using RULE OF ENGAGEMENT to stop your guys from shooting at people 500+ meters away (they hit them too) giving away your position. the ROE Return Fire Only is the best choice when you want to try sneaking up to a position, or flanking.

*note of close range battles*
    Due to the lack of leaning, fighting battles closer than 100 meters is practical suicide, if you plan to get this close, have your team suppress the position first to cause wounds and reduce morale so that when you do get close, they arent so good at shooting you!

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Got this on it's way for the 360 so if anyone is still up for playing I'd be up for some co op.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am terrible at this game.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been stuck on Mission 11 for the last 3 weeks. I get killed everytime trying to destroy the AAA tanks. I managed to fire 3 rockets into one of those things a few times but it wouldn't blow up. This is so fucked up.

Delinator on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ARMA gave me the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. ARMA 2 would be the same except my computer can't run it at all, even with its quad core, 4 gigs of ram, and 8800GT.

I'd give OpFlash a shot but there's already like a bajillion games I have to get this month.

Well that's your problem right there. Your CPU and RAM should meet or exceed the needs of any game, but your graphics card is two generations behind, going on three.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I just bought this game because steam had it on sale for $20. It certainly isn't as cinematic as MW2, but it is somewhat enthralling.

I appreciate the amount of control if gives you over your underlings. Vehicle commanding seems to be a nightmare, though.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am standing in half price books, staring at the original and the expansion, do either have cd codes I need to apply for because I think both are used.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am standing in half price books, staring at the original and the expansion, do either have cd codes I need to apply for because I think both are used.

Operation Flashpoint 1? Yes, it and its expansions all have cd keys. They'd be in the manual if they're present.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What about the dragon rising box?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I don't know about that.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, Codewankers just decided to pull the plug on all further support for OFP:DR.

Meanwhile, I'm still having fun with ARMA 2.

Echo on