As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Olympics 2016: Cement Jesus in your face 200 times a day

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So tomorrow we get to know where the summer 2016 olympics will be. Candidates are:

Rio
Chicago
Tokyo
Madrid

Chicago and Rio seem to be in the lead from what I've seen. Obama is visiting the IOC to pitch Chicago.

Who are you hoping wins? My vote is "not Rio" because I don't want to spend three hours a day looking at Cement Jesus. Chicago would be nice because at least everything would be live on TV, but doesn't that exclude America for some years subsequent? Chicago seems kind of uninspired, and I'd rather see the next US olympics in a more interesting place like Boston, but that's probably home town bias. I'm sure Tokyo would produce a super awesome opening ceremony. Madrid, who cares about that?

So yeah, talk about what city you want to win, what cities you'd rather see it at, and just how messed up the selection process is.

deadonthestreet on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Chicago is a pretty awesome city, speaking as a midwesterner.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Boston sucks, go Chicago!

(I'm from Chicago!)

Actually it will be a horrifying clusterfuck if Chicago gets it, unless in the next 7 years they completely reinvent their public transit system.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm actually kind of hoping for Rio. I don't think South America as a whole has even hosted a game.

Quid on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of hoping for Rio. I don't think South America as a whole has even hosted a game.

They haven't, but holding it in Rio will result in one of two things:

1.) When the games happen, a whole slew of tourists get raped/mugged/murdered by the local criminal element.

Or

2.) About five minutes after the announcement is made the police begin rounding up all suspected or known gang members and begin throwing them in prisons or executing them en masse.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If Rio wins I'll have the best excuse to go to Rio.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If Chicago gets it the traffic backups will begin in Milwaukee and just head north from there.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You mean besides wanting to see if AIDS can become airborne in the right circumstances?

RedTide on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure Chicago is a cool town, but when I think of the Olympics I think of somewhere exotic. Chicago is as American as it gets. Not that that's bad, just doesn't seem very... Olympic.

Tokyo could be good, I remember the Nagano Olympics back in 98(?) more than any other winter Olympics. Rio is kind of interesting but not anything to get worked up over. Madrid could be fun too.

Any of those places are "decent" but honestly they all seem kind of... lame. Can't think of anywhere better off the topic of my head, though.

EDIT: Looks like the next two are going to be held in Vancouver (OK) and London (eh). Also, London's logo is uglier than fuck. It looks like it stepped out of 1991.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RedTide wrote: »

1.) When the games happen, a whole slew of tourists get raped/mugged/murdered by the local criminal element.

Or

2.) About five minutes after the announcement is made the police begin rounding up all suspected or known gang members and begin throwing them in prisons or executing them en masse.

Are things that bad in Brazil in general or is this Rio specific?

Dman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You mean besides wanting to see if AIDS can become airborne in the right circumstances?

It's cool man, there's a vaccine for that now.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dman wrote: »

Or

I work with a couple people who have both visited and have family from there... let's just say it isn't the safest place.

Edit: And I totally should have included kidnappings. Good god do those people love holding others for ransom.

RedTide on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dman wrote: »

South America is a scary place

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Is it like the african vaccine? Because there aren't that many virgins in the US to rape.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Is it like the african vaccine? Because there aren't that many virgins in the US to rape.

We are for certainly talking about different things.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah between MTV and increased security at grade schools it gets harder every year.

RedTide on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tokyo would probably do it the best.

Madrid? Spain had a Summer Games in 1992, which is pretty recent in Olympic terms. Even Greece doesn't get the Games twice in 25 years.

I have a feeling that if Chicago gets them, the locals will still care more about what's going on at fields Wrigley, Comiskey, and Giant Alien Spaceship.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Would there even be a place to put them in tokyo? I was under the impression space is a major premium over there.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

Madrid? Spain had a Summer Games in 1992, which is pretty recent in Olympic terms. Even Greece doesn't get the Games twice in 25 years.

I have a feeling that if Chicago gets them, the locals will still care more about what's going on at fields Wrigley, Comiskey, and Giant Alien Spaceship.

Atlanta is more recent than Barcelona.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but, America.

RedTide on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Would there even be a place to put them in tokyo? I was under the impression space is a major premium over there.
    Tokyo has had the Olympics before, so unless they paved the sites over or something they should have something to work with.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Tokyo has had the Olympics before, so unless they paved the sites over or something they should have something to work with.

Usually the olympics wants you to build all new sites when you host, its insanity. Part of the reason Athens was a huge money waste.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Atlanta and Nagano were both more recent. Do we have links to their actual proposals? (I'm lazy and don't want to google them right now :P)

If Rio's proposal is decent I bet they get it because all of the other countries have had recent olympics. Plus the intervening ones are one north america and one western europe (Vancouver and London).

Generally Olympic proposals do include significant upgrades to public transportation and safety.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And in china's case a promise to exile a specific amount of their own populace.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm not pulling for Chicago either. I'd pick Tokyo. They have several venues remaining from the 1964 Olympics, and their plan includes creating a forest island in the middle of Tokyo Bay for stuff like equestrian, archery and rowing. Clean, safe, awesome public transit.

BTW - what happened to Paris? They wanted the 2012 Games but lost to London, but they're absent from 2016 consideration?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personally, I think the United States has had a lot of the hosting recently. It's good to mix it around.

(Which is not to say that the US does a bad job, on the contrary, part of the reason they keep hosting is because they can.)

Brazil having an opportunity would be cool, though I don't know if its economically feasible at the moment, I'm a bit behind when it comes to the Brazilian economy. If not, than Tokyo.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kistra wrote: »

Atlanta and Nagano were both more recent. Do we have links to their actual proposals? (I'm lazy and don't want to google them right now :P)

If Rio's proposal is decent I bet they get it because all of the other countries have had recent olympics. Plus the intervening ones are one north america and one western europe (Vancouver and London).

Generally Olympic proposals do include significant upgrades to public transportation and safety.

I count Winter and Summer Olympics separately. Summer is definitely the bigger showcase and competition, it's not like Rio can bid on the Winter Games.

Rio has said they'll build a bullet train if they win. Tokyo already has one (though I'm sure they'll be willing to sell the specs to Rio).

BubbaT on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm personally pulling for Tokyo. I'd love to see what they'd do for opening ceremonies and everything. If it came to Chicago, we'd probably just have Bruce Springstein play for two hours. o_O

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Either Rio or Tokyo. Rio could probably use it a lot more but Tokyo would just be so interesting.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A) I'm going for Rio. I want the Games spread around as much as possible. Let South America have them once. They'll be two years off the World Cup anyway; any sort of roundups/hiding the poor people will have already happened whether they get the Games or not.
    B) Madrid should bid again for 2020. Barcelona went off beautifully and Spain really should get another go-around as host.

I should be more excited about Chicago, seeing as I fall within the area slated to host (I think we'd have some soccer and road-course cycling in the area), and I'd love it if we won, but there you go.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    A) I'm going for Rio. I want the Games spread around as much as possible. Let South America have them once. They'll be two years off the World Cup anyway; any sort of roundups/hiding the poor people will have already happened whether they get the Games or not.
    B) Madrid should bid again for 2020. Barcelona went off beautifully and Spain really should get another go-around as host.

I should be more excited about Chicago, seeing as I fall within the area slated to host (I think we'd have some soccer and road-course cycling in the area), and I'd love it if we won, but there you go.

Don't you plan to be in the Pacific Northwest by the time they're there? I sure as hell do, though if I were still around I'd probably try to catch something.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, but my brother has no plans to go anywhere. Show up for a few weeks to visit.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tokyo doesn't deserve the Olympics. Give it to Rio.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Personally, I think the United States has had a lot of the hosting recently. It's good to mix it around.

(Which is not to say that the US does a bad job, on the contrary, part of the reason they keep hosting is because they can.)

Brazil having an opportunity would be cool, though I don't know if its economically feasible at the moment, I'm a bit behind when it comes to the Brazilian economy. If not, than Tokyo.

The last time the US hosted a games was 1996. They aren't hosting one in 2010, 2012 or 2014, meaning there'd be twenty years between US hosting. Madrid's a long shot because London's got it in 2012, and they're unlikely to go to two European countries back to back. Tokyo has a similar problem.

Rio's key selling point is that South America's never had one, along with the possibility of reviving Rio and the whole country. They've got serious money problems though, and just canceled a world cup swimming event like a month before it was supposed to happen.

Chicago's probably a safer, more monetarily lucrative choice, but Rio's more exciting and risky. It'll be close between those two, though.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KG3000 wrote: »
    Tokyo doesn't deserve the Olympics.
    Nobody does, the Olympics are invariably a clusterfuck for the host city

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Didn't someone get stabbed at the chinese summer games? I'd worry what would happen in rio.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Usually the olympics wants you to build all new sites when you host, its insanity. Part of the reason Athens was a huge money waste.

No, it's not necessary. The Olympics doesn't "want" new stuff, the host city goes ahead and makes its decision. Atlanta and Los Angeles famously reused many old facilities built prior to the Olympics. That and extensive corporate advertising deals allowed the two cities to make a profit.

But countries with nationalist axes to grind will spend lots more, of course. Beijing. Athens. But that's their own damn fault.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Didn't someone get stabbed at the chinese summer games? I'd worry what would happen in rio.

In Rio it'd be a marked improvement from the usual.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It would be fun for Rio or Tokyo to win it, if only because hosting the olympics in an american city is sort of boring for the U.S. TV viewer.

I have nothing against madrid I guess

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    It would be fun for Rio or Tokyo to win it, if only because hosting the olympics in an american city is sort of boring for the U.S. TV viewer.

I have nothing against madrid I guess

That's the other thing. We all know how jingoistic NBC gets during the Olympics. Every American medal contender is given blanket coverage, American medal contenders in popular events get saturation coverage, and the other countries are noted only for being the guys trying to deprive the Americans of the gold medal that is their birthright. The NBC guys will talk over other nations' national anthems.

And when the Games actually get held here, it's like the other countries don't even exist. It's like it's the US Open With Special Guest Rest Of The World. In Atlanta, the crowds inside the actual stadiums tended to not even notice that other countries were competing. Didn't even see them. Gymnastics was particularly bad in this regard. When they get held abroad, everyone is forced to at least acknowledge the host nation's participation.

So, yeah. It'd be cool to have the Games in Chicago, but the coverage would just be completely insufferable. More than usual. And add in the fact that Obama would potentially be wrapping up his second term and NBC might just run a two-week loop of the Star-Spangled Banner and have done with it.

Gosling on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope it comes to Chicago, and everyone is totally invited to crash on my couch if it does.* Assuming I manage to get that apartment in the loop at some point over the next 6 years.

It may get crowded.**

*:winky:

**:winky::winky:

moniker on