As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Tomb Raider Underworld - JAN MAYEN ISLAND JULY 2015! NEW SET AFTER 6 YEARS

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Next set recorded, will be uploaded tomorrow (god willing).

Cool. That'll be something to look forward to - assuming Youtube behaves itself.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it going to be another gargantuan set? Because I don't mind that.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Is it going to be another gargantuan set? Because I don't mind that.

Nope.
    Because I AM SPARTAN

and honestly next time I'll just divide the level in half. I wanted to get the first level done.

This is probably a good thing since the levels in Underworld are long. A lot longer than I remembered them being at any rate.

On the plus side, I think most of the levels have two basic sections. The above ground 'Let's find a way in' bit and the underground 'Let's avoid all the traps' bit. So most of the sets shouldn't just stop at random points... Well, unless Surrealitycheck desires it that way.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some of you may have been wondering where this set went - I have discovered how to record without any audio delay, so the set is being redone. YAY.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    awesome, i was always wondering why the gunshots came a second or two late but i assumed you were playing in an echo-ey cave

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Some of you may have been wondering where this set went - I have discovered how to record without any audio delay, so the set is being redone. YAY.

Ah, that's what happened, is it? I'd wondered why the second set hadn't materialised. I was beginning to worry that something untoward had happened.

I'm happy to hear that you've kicked the audio delay problem to the curb, by the way. It'll be nice to have the picture and sound match up.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd bee wondering about it too, but if it fixes the delay, then it's well worth the wait.

Hell, if it doesn't fix the delay, it'll still be worth it.

Still, glad to know things are okay.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    That poor Squid, though. Wasn't doing anything to Lara. :?
    It got in her way.

It's like Yahtzee said, "Lara is, well... evil" and "drops a fucking spiky chandelier on [the squid's] head... this is not appropriate conflict resolution!"

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It got in her way.

It also tried to bash me twice. THAT'S TWO TOO MANY TIMES YOU INVERTEBRATE SCUM

Edit: Because I am incapable of time management this set is 4 and a half parts, and ends when my hard drive space ran out. I don't mind however as I was standing on a checkpoint. Next set will be done today.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    speaking of the "mysterious jumping" thing, I'm amazed she can do all that while barefooted.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, although it's labeled as "Coastal Thailand" the spot where Lara archored her yacht looks more like Halong Bay in Vietnam.

Definitely one of the most scenic parts in the game.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    By the way the set ends suddenly, but the next set will explain why and carry on at almost that exact point :P

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Great set, really good to see that you fixed the audio delay! That Knock-Knock joke was really good, I'm gonna try that one out on some of my friends. Sometimes I feel bad for not finishing Bioshock and really experiencing that Oh Snap, but for some reason the game stressed me the hell out.

I also liked the ending part, where you were alternatively climbing and shooting Nargas, that was very cinematic.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I also liked the ending part, where you were alternatively climbing and shooting Nargas, that was very cinematic.

A product of absentmindedness while trying to keep track of what I was talking about >_>

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Y'know, I could have sworn I remembered the Naga looking more snake-like in appearance. Oh well.

Regarding the music in TR: Underworld, I don't think I ever really noticed it to be honest. I loved the soundtrack from TR: Legend and TR: Anniversary - and am very happy I grabbed the Special Edition version of TR: Anniversary since it came with a soundtrack CD that had the music from both games on it - but I can't for the life of me remember any of the tracks from TR: Underworld. I certainly didn't hate the music for it, but it simply never stood out enough for me to notice or remember it.

Also, I forgot about the tigers on this level. Now that this LP has jogged my memory of them, I remember them being one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. In fact, unless my memory fails me - which is a distinct possibility - I think there's only one enemy type in the game that had more swear words hurled at them than the tigers did and that's
    those bloody tiger-like zombie things under Croft Manor.

Anyway, an enjoyable set, albeit one that ends with terminal abruptness. I await the next one with bated breath.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SR the amount of fascinating topics you can cover before being interrupted mid-sentence and picking up a different topic is something of wonder

i get the feeling you'd be great at just a minute if it weren't for that pesky rule about deviation

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I swear, I could probably listen to you go on and on about anything, SR. The way you talk, and the subjects you cover are incredibly interesting. I hope the next set up is up soon, since I'd like to know where you were going, both in the game, and the conversation.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the kind comments! I hope to get the next set recorded today, and I hope to include some background information I omitted last time >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly I could watch you do anything while talking about the exact same topics and it would still be interesting, the fact that there is interesting visual action to bind it together is just a bonus.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Y'know, I could have sworn I remembered the Naga looking more snake-like in appearance. Oh well.

Most likely because a traditional Nāga does resemble a great snake of some form. Well, that's my excuse at least.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The protomyth exists... and it is Norse! If that statement starts to chill you after a couple of moments' consideration, then don't be alarmed. A feeling of intense and crushing anachronistic suspicion at the concept only indicates that you are still sane.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The protomyth exists... and it is Norse! If that statement starts to chill you after a couple of moments' consideration, then don't be alarmed. A feeling of intense and crushing anachronistic suspicion at the concept only indicates that you are still sane.

The End is Nigh.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Next set recorded and uploading.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm annoyed that it took me so long to catch up to this.

Bring on the more exploration/less shooting Japanese mobsters on rooftops.

EDIT: Finished the first set (before Thailand), enjoying very much thusfar (the bit about depressurization was a nice touch, I had completely neglected that myself when I played.

Not sure if you were aware of this, but you can shoot the red/gray cylinders throughout the ship level (saves you some trouble, they explode with more force than a grenade anyway).

As for Natla and the progression of the story--I guess the story is weaker, but part of my problem is I tend to play the TR games level-by-level (and thus, turn a blind eye to the overall story barring crucial moments). I enjoyed the style of gameplay in Underworld far more than Legend (probably why I played it twice. It is a shame that you can't play (and do an LP) for the DLC, as I find Lara's Shadow, the second DLC pack, to be quite a hoot...

(DLC-related sopiler)
    In part because Natla finally gets her comeuppance courtesy not of Lara, who mere messes her up quite badly, but the Doppleganger. Though how much you might enjoy Lara's Shadow is directly interested to what you thought of the doppleganger--and vice versa, since it does expand on her lot. She is part-Easter Egg to the old Core Design games (like how she moves and jumps) and part-Konoko from Oni (with the much heavier emphasis on fighting rather than exploration). But, in the end, I enjoy third-person punching action, and the second DLC is that to a great extent.

Anyway, looking forward immensely to the rest of it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Most likely because a traditional Nāga does resemble a great snake of some form. Well, that's my excuse at least.

I meant in the game. I thought I remembered the Naga in the game looking more snake-like and less like strange mutant lizards. It's funny the tricks your memory can play on you.

Interesting link, by the way. A lot of names in that article I recognise from the 'Digital Devil Saga' series. However, I'm going to do my utmost best to resist visiting that article ever again because if I'm not exceptionally careful, I just know that I'll end up spending god only knows how long following link after link after link. :mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've seen the cutscenes from Lara's Shadow, and I did quite like her zing on Natla's melted face.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've seen the cutscenes from Lara's Shadow, and I did quite like her zing on Natla's melted face.

I'm probably looking into it too much, but...

(DLC-Spoiler)
    ...the Doppleganger has a really, really nice gloat on her face when she's literally standing over Natla, watching her drown in the ether.

Plus, it's fun to speculate what a super-agile, super-fast duplicate of Lara would do in the real world, assuming she has a lifespan of more than a year or two.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So who the hell is this Natla person anyway? I never finished Anniversary (I uh, was never able to defeat the first boss...:oops:)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So who the hell is this Natla person anyway? I never finished Anniversary (I uh, was never able to defeat the first boss...:oops:)

She's the primary antagonist from the original Tomb Raider game, a banished deity of sorts.

Accordingly, she also reappears in Tomb Raider: Anniversary, in more or less the same capacity. She is, if I remember correctly, only seven-feet-tall when she shows her wings and abandons her original pretense of just being a rich weirdo venture capitalist.

And yeah, the more I think about the Norse fixation, the sillier it sounds, but, hey, a lot of people thinking the Vikings were cool. I don't, but hey, them's the breaks, I suppose.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What's DLC?

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What's DLC?

Downloadable content. Eidos did some kind of mutant deal with Microsoft so only Xbox 360 owners could pay a bit extra for levels that effectively added 50% of the content of the game again to it.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lara Croft, doing her part to make rare animals even rarer. :mrgreen:

Regarding that set...
    So Lara's old man knows about and evidently was a puppet of Natla's at some point!? Gah! I'd forgotten that bit of the story. If I'd had some popcorn handy whilst watching I'd have thrown it at my computer screen. It just seems so convenient and unbelievable, which is odd since it actually makes sense given the storyline that runs through the three games.

Natla was hunting out the ancient stuff to regain her power and Lara's dad was hunting out the self same stuff to find his lost wife, so it's not really surprising that they'd run into each other or that Natla would be able to manipulate him into searching out more ancient stuff in much the same way she's using Amanda.

It's just the off-hand presentation of it that makes it seem so ridiculous and far-fetched, at least to me.

Anyway, a nice set - limited hard drive space issues aside. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So Lara's old man knows about and evidently was a puppet of Natla's at some point

I don't remember it being mentioned in Legend or Anniversary, and the fact that the way down to that area was through the light puzzle (which mysteriously had been reset) just makes it seem even more absurd >.<

Set 3 - Coastal Thailand Part 2

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So Lara's old man knows about and evidently was a puppet of Natla's at some point

I don't remember it being mentioned in Legend or Anniversary, and the fact that the way down to that area was through the light puzzle (which mysteriously had been reset) just makes it seem even more absurd >.<

It certainly wasn't mentioned in TR: Legend and I don't think there was any mention of Lara's father at all in TR: Anniversary - though I could be wrong. As far as I know, that particular revelation just comes right out of left field without any warning whatsoever. You just can't help going 'what the... o_O'.

As for the light puzzle.... maybe the Naga's reset it. Though that brings to mind the question of just how Lara's dad got past the ravenous tigers, risky jumps, swarms of venomous spiders and the small army of poison-spitting Naga's?

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Though that brings to mind the question of just how Lara's dad got past the ravenous tigers, risky jumps, swarms of venomous spiders and the small army of poison-spitting Naga's?
    Or maybe he imported them and put them there to defend the temple against people seeking out Thor's wristband.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Or maybe he imported them and put them there to defend the temple against people seeking out Thor's wristband.

Which is a dick move, because he took it anyway and left a clue that only his daughter could understand.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it's like the most cruel and unusual child abuse imaginable

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    it's like the most cruel and unusual child abuse imaginable

To be fair, Lara actually seems to enjoy death-defying stuff like that.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg