As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Tomb Raider Underworld - JAN MAYEN ISLAND JULY 2015! NEW SET AFTER 6 YEARS

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, Dan Dennet. One of my undergrad profs would regularly refer to Consciousness Explained as Consciousness Ignored.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, Dan Dennet. One of my undergrad profs would regularly refer to Consciousness Explained as Consciousness Ignored.

If somebody believes in qualia, then his position of "they don't exist so my solution of consciousness works" might be a little grating >_>

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    colour phi?

youngsters and their mushy-mouthed mumbling

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd been meaning to catch up on this, and as always, Surreality, your little scientific/literary side tidbits are thought-provoking.

The first face-to-face between the Doppleganger and Lara is a favorite of mine (really, I think I like all the scenes she's in, especially with that "I know you" smile of hers). I did not realize that Lara's last moments with Allister were a mirror of Amanda's with Rutland.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    More of a sound and tech check, but still 12 minutes that gets us back to where we need to be - in mexico. The rest is on its way...

Set 5 - Mexico - Part 1

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and what time do you call this

Nuzak on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's good to have this back. I know it was labelled as being on hiatus, but I honestly figured that it - much like poor Alister - was quite, quite dead. I'm glad to see I was wrong.

The new recording method seems good to me. Picture quality is excellent and both you and the game are nicely audible. I look forward to a proper set.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and what time do you call this

fashionably late

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    whyioughta

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good to see that you've started again. So your computer broke? Didn't you mention in another video that it was also brand-spanking new? Ouch!

Video and Audio quality was all good, looking forward to the next updates!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huzzah! Looking forward to seeing the end of this game.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Excellent, glad to see this back up and running.

As said, the Audio is fine, I don't even think the lag is back. The video looks good as well, but (and I don't know if this is just the game itself or a sensitivity thing) the camera was just everywhere. Not too much of a complaint, but still, wanted to mention it.

Also, two other things: 1) Is the Motorcycle indestructible/can you lose it in the level? and 2) Oh, how I missed this LP. I'm back to learning new things! Testicle indeed.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah yes, the LP that makes me feel stupid is back!

edit: Recording to an SSD? Didn't you have a space issue last time?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Recording to an SSD? Didn't you have a space issue last time?

This is just 60 gigs, but I'm only keeping windows on it. It reads/writes so fast it barely hits my fps at all when I fraps! Pretty groovy. Plus I can do 30 minutes of recording for about 35-40 gigs, so it works out fine so long as I compress my raw files relatively fast.

Also, two other things: 1) Is the Motorcycle indestructible/can you lose it in the level?

It is indeed indestructible, and I have no idea if you can lose it. I think you can't (I believe it'll reappear if you drop it down a hole etc).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, two other things: 1) Is the Motorcycle indestructible/can you lose it in the level?

It is indeed indestructible, and I have no idea if you can lose it. I think you can't (I believe it'll reappear if you drop it down a hole etc).

There was a time, not long ago, where you could loose it, but I think that was patched out.

I found that the Mexico level felt the most like classic Tomb Raider (and by that, I mean 1 and 3) in its puzzle, it's style, the enemies encountered and the use of the motorcycle (versus the long motorcycle chases you had in Legend which were distinctly un-TR like). For better or worse, of course.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah yes, the LP that makes me feel stupid is back!

Funny, this is exactly how I feel when watching Surrealitycheck's LPs. :D

Surr, you're a rambling encyclopedia of awesome, which makes me enjoy these LPs a whole lot more. However, you are terribly late on any updates curse you.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OH MY GOD A WILD UPDATE I DON'T EVEN AHH

ps

I mention the Aztecs - brain was turned off, the era we are dealing with here is Mayan as Lara mentions. Also, the Mayans had Quetzalcoatl (although he had a different name, Kukulcan or Ququmatz) so the following thought gets to keep its relevance!

Set 6 - Mexico - Part 2

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My god, an update.

*watches intensely, prepares to be educated*

I'm actually thinking of buying the other DLC for this game. Lara's Shadow was a lot of fun, though I heard Beneath the Ashes wasn't as good...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hear beneath the ashes is decent, it's just more of the same. Although it sees the return of the headphone to zip, apparently.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As much as your router may hate you, who can question the results?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As much as your router may hate you, who can question the results?

Me, it took 2 days to upload 3 videos X.x

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    :shock:

An update? Well I never. I was beginning to wonder if this LP was going to lapse back into obscurity. I'm relieved to see it hasn't.

Regarding the set, I do remember disliking this level because I kept getting turned around and going back to places I'd already been to. The timed section that's coming up was also bloody annoying, mainly because the bike is a pain to control at high speed. Rest assured that you aren't the only one to have trouble with it. D:

Anyway, a most enjoyable set. I look forward to the next one... whenever it turns up. :P

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So nice to hear from you again surreality. Can't wait for the next set.

So you're going to school for Biochemistry? That sounds rather intense.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well I suppose that if he was going to school for history he wouldn't already know all this stuff :D

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just found these videos. Fantastic job man. I'm having a blast. Hope you update more, because, regardless of what people say on youtube, you got a real knack for this. Yes, you talk a lot, but in my opinion, that doesn't matter, because what you say is interesting.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'll be. Good job again surrealitycheck! I totally agree with you btw

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So you're going to school for Biochemistry? That sounds rather intense.

It's tedious as all hell :<

Thanks for all the encouragement dudes, recording a new set today but uploading will take a variable amount of time.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hear beneath the ashes is decent, it's just more of the same. Although it sees the return of the headphone to zip, apparently.

I like the game's fundamentals (otherwise I wouldn't be following this, I imagine), though I disliked the under-Croft-manor levels because of their lack of wide-open spaces and the exploration feeling.

That being said, I'd probably still enjoy them. Lara's Shadow was loads of fun, some of them unexpected from the main character and her love of weird facial expressions. And lots of punching.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That being said, I'd probably still enjoy them. Lara's Shadow was loads of fun, some of them unexpected from the main character and her love of weird facial expressions. And lots of punching.

How long was it?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

How long was it?

Not very long. If you paced yourself, as I did, you could quite easily stretch it more than an hour (it's technically multiple levels). If you were in a nonstop rush (which is kind of hard, given the emphasis on combat and puzzles), you could probably do it in 30 to 40 minutes.

Honestly, I find it worth it just because of the hilarious....cruelty(?) of the doppleganger. And her cool "shadow powers".

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just read the entire wikipedia article on Ampersand thanks to you.

This is why I love this LP.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Spartan if you have some free time you should definitely check out the history of the Hindu faith. It's the oldest religion on earth and absolutely fascinating.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spartan if you have some free time you should definitely check out the history of the Hindu faith. It's the oldest religion on earth and absolutely fascinating.

I like how you say "some free time". I'm sure that there's dozens of people who've spent their entire life on the history of the Hindu faith and still don't know half there is to know :P

Excellent update again, good to see you back on track. You really are a giant tease for, again, only releasing a part of the level :P

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so, like i said in the LP index thread earlier, i've been ignoring this LP before because i already saw an LP of this game. ANYWAYS, i gave it a shot today, just 'cause, and it is absolutely brilliant. i'm still stumped how you come up with all this knowledge while recording :D

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So I've started my upload for another set now. Let's see how many failed attempts it takes before youtube swallows it.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that WAS a short set...

you know, i noticed that since you changed your recording setup, the video seems to be a bit darker. i don't know if that's got anything to do with the recording or the game (could be that as well. the subtitles are gone btw :P), but it would be great if you could sort this out ;)

apart from that, cool set bro!

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you know, i noticed that since you changed your recording setup, the video seems to be a bit darker. i don't know if that's got anything to do with the recording or the game (could be that as well. the subtitles are gone btw ), but it would be great if you could sort this out ;)

Subtitles, check.

The length can only be about 25 minutes now, as I only have about 35gigs free space on my SSD :<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought you were a bit off when you were talking about Ariadne with her ball of yarn, and was correct insofar as it was Theseus who was navigating the labyrinth proper. However, it turns out Ariadne was holding the safe end of it, which I didn't know.

Unless you're thinking of another labyrinth.

Also, yes, the labyrinth/maze geeks are dumb-dumbs.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It is traditionally known as "Ariadne's Yarn" for zat reason

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png