As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BORDERLANDS] It's mind-blowing & we broke Steam for it

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Nayl219 wrote: »
    anyone find that one form of elemental is more damaging than another? it seems to me that fire has been the best so far, but maybe its only been my weapon selection

seperate example, ive got a sniper rifle with the same damage cap as another sniper with 3x acid effect, and ive found that the rifle without the elemental does better damage

Acid cuts through natural defense(high level Skags from the front, for instance), fire cuts through basic flesh, shock cuts through shields, explosions I'm not sure on.

They explode shit.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, yes. But I don't know if that's just a base damage enhancer or what.

yalborap on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just got this game today for the 360. Its all right so far. Damn skag pups.

Kinda made a bad choice of getting both this and Demon Souls together. Damn collect-a-thons that I love.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone want to play? Level 25 siren and I'm around the junkyard

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    So wait.

If I wanted to, and didn't buy through Steam, I could walk down TONIGHT at midnight and pick this up from Bestbuy/Gamestop/Walmart/etc? But because I went through steam, I have to wait till 12 Noon +/- However many hours it takes the random intern they have working the server to turn it on?

Sucks.

Well, ask yourself, "Does waiting an extra half-day for Borderlands suck more than sticking SecuROM on my PC?"

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    supposedly a corroded enemy takes more damage from other stuff, as well...

it also spreads to other enemies.
    gonna build a plague-bearer lilith soon. =D

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait, the PC version comes out tomorrow? Don't games usually come out on Tuesdays?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Starting up a playthrough 2 game

My XBL is Oronis playing a 42 Siren

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That last level with tonnes of guardians was pretty frustrating, right up until I found out they had a MASSIVE weakness.
    cookies! Okay, seriously though, it becomes so much less of a challenge once you know this but if you're really desperate then
    Erydian weaponry
    I was three shotting the badass guardians it was that easy. The Destroyer was probably the easiest boss in the entire game. I moved out of place once and then just stood absolutely still and kept firing away with anything I had, didn't really matter as I could take as long as I wanted and he would never get a touch on me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incredible game, absolutely incredible. It is what Fallout should have been, and I became addicted for an entire day but managed to pull myself away at level 19.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Wait, the PC version comes out tomorrow? Don't games usually come out on Tuesdays?

Usually, and maybe it does? The quote said midnight monday, which I guess can be interpreted two ways.

Though steam is supposed to unlock tomorrow at noon.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am annoyed that there are not more PS3 players though, I am completely unable to gang up with some PA'ers to get me some better loot, and it's annoying that it doesn't matchmake, you have to have friends you can invite.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's an instant kill on larva worms otherwise it just does a heaping helping more damage.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Borderlands: 87 bazillion guns, 87 bazillion pop culture references!

Magic Pink wrote: »

It's an instant kill on larva worms otherwise it just does a heaping helping more damage.

Isn't it also an AoE?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    That last level with tonnes of guardians was pretty frustrating, right up until I found out they had a MASSIVE weakness.
    cookies! Okay, seriously though, it becomes so much less of a challenge once you know this but if you're really desperate then
    Erydian weaponry
    I was three shotting the badass guardians it was that easy. The Destroyer was probably the easiest boss in the entire game. I moved out of place once and then just stood absolutely still and kept firing away with anything I had, didn't really matter as I could take as long as I wanted and he would never get a touch on me.

any shock elemental weapon will do the same thing, I believe. revolvers in particular.
    they have tons of shields and almost no health at all, so...

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oronis wrote: »

So far its me and Omnomnompancake

We got room for 2 more

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    So wait.

If I wanted to, and didn't buy through Steam, I could walk down TONIGHT at midnight and pick this up from Bestbuy/Gamestop/Walmart/etc? But because I went through steam, I have to wait till 12 Noon +/- However many hours it takes the random intern they have working the server to turn it on?

Sucks.

Well, ask yourself, "Does waiting an extra half-day for Borderlands suck more than sticking SecuROM on my PC?"

If you're really that worried about SecuROM, I'd grab it for a console instead of the PC. The Steam version likely has it too, regardless of what has be mentioned by the developers. The publisher (2K) has the last say on that, and their Steam releases typically go out with SecuROM quietly in there. The Steam store usually doesn't even update that information for a week or two.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Borderlands: 87 bazillion guns, 87 bazillion pop culture references!

Isn't it also an AoE?

If it is I haven't noticed it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Erydian weaponry

any shock elemental weapon will do the same thing, I believe. revolvers in particular.

Ah, so in theory you could use shock enhanced weaponry for instant shield depletion? Wow, that would be ridiculously easy.
    Now I just wish the weapons would pop up less often, I've picked up 3 identical smgs. 87 Bazillion guns and I get the three shitty ones together :p

Big Classy on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oronis wrote: »

Need 2 more! gogogo

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Erydian weaponry

Ah, so in theory you could use shock enhanced weaponry for instant shield depletion? Wow, that would be ridiculously easy.
    Now I just wish the weapons would pop up less often, I've picked up 3 identical smgs. 87 Bazillion guns and I get the three shitty ones together :p

I've noticed the Explosion element blows the shields away too. It may just be doing that much damage when it kicks in tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stupid traffic ticket. I blame the guy behind me for riding my ass :winky:. Got no money for the BB sale where I was going to pick this game up.

Also can you co-op split screen?

Algertman on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay according to the Borderlands wiki this is what elemental damage does:

Incendiary elemental property adds the effect of fire to weapons, mods, shields and some enemies. It is most effective against unshielded, flesh enemies, such as Bruisers and Skags. Incendiary weapons bullet burst into flames when they impact. When a fire element triggers, the enemy is lit on fire, dealing damage over time. If the enemy dies due to fire damage, their corpse will burn away.

Corrosive weapons cause splashes of acid to corrode at enemies. Corrosive weapons are effective against heavily armored enemies, like Skags or Spiderants. When a corrosive weapon's effect triggers, the enemy will start to take damage over time. The damage is less than that of a fire weapon of the same level, but the corrosive damage also makes the enemy more vulnerable to all damage while it is in effect. Enemies that die to corrosive damage will melt away.

Shock weapons crackle with electricity and are very effective against shields, making them useful against shielded bandits and alien guardians. Shock bullets will crack with electricity when they impact. When a shock weapon's effect triggers, high damage is dealt to the enemy's shield and they take damage over time. If an enemy dies to shock damage, their face burns away and reveals their skull.

Explosive weapons' bullets explode when they impact, making them very effective against groups of lesser enemies. The explosions deal splash damage to nearby enemies when the effect triggers. Enemies that die to an explosive weapon blow into pieces.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm level 19 with Mordecai, renamed Hawkeye, and have the Survivor class mod, but I want the Assassin one (it's 45,000 credits though). There's no split screen btw.

Johannen on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jumping onto Live now, who wants to do some Borderlanding?

Got a lvl 20 Brick and a lvl 16 (I think) Mordecai!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i just redid my siren build at lvl 27 and put all my points into elemental and now she is an absolute angel of death. i'm shooting enemies with my lightning gun and they are always sparking all while i get close and light them on fire just from being next to them, and causing corrosive damage when i melee.

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    lvl 37 second playthrough. Who wants some!?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The best Sniper rifle I've had so far was a Liquid one for Mordecai. Was a purple and caused extra damage, accuracy, 1.5x zoom and increased fire rate. I need more exciting sniping weaponry.... and a longbow grenade mod that causes more damage.

Johannen on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Usually, and maybe it does? The quote said midnight monday, which I guess can be interpreted two ways.

i would interpret that as tuesday, as would most people that know how to tell time

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there any trick to finding Eridian weapons? Or is it just pure dumb luck?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am going to hate everyone tomorrow. I had to order my copy with 3-5 day shipping, so I'll have to wait a little bit. You guys better power level me the fuck up when I do have it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KingMoo wrote: »

i would interpret that as tuesday, as would most people that know how to tell time

Well that is how I took it too.

But their PR saying that it is coming the 26th over and over again made me think otherwise.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    There's no split screen btw.

Buh?

I've been playing it the last three days.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    lvl 37 second playthrough. Who wants some!?

Want to join 2 level 43's ? We'll be nice!

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm feeling I'm not playing siren right, I'm just using her as an all-around character by using all kinds of basic weapons. I'm not even using a weapon that's got an elemental effect right now. Oh well, I'm only level 15 so here's hoping I'll find something more suitable soon.

Also, why is there a skill in the controller tree that reduces your phasewalk cooldown by 3 seconds/rank and one in the assassin tree that reduces the cooldown by 1.6 seconds/rank when you kill someone?
    I know controller is kind of the phasewalk tree, but still.

Great game nevertheless.

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    There's no split screen btw.

Buh?

I've been playing it the last three days.

Yes, I just realized that I am retarded.

Johannen on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KingMoo wrote: »

The steam page says it unlocks in 21 hours, I'm hoping it's not wrong.

Also, according to the SA thread, Borderlands has been pirated as of this morning. Unconfirmed rumor is that they can even play online.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is there any trick to finding Eridian weapons? Or is it just pure dumb luck?

Dumb luck, unfortunately. I know the harder the area you're looting the higher the level of the item will be. Like I found an smg in Arid Badlands, found the same smg but at a much higher level in Krom's cavern. It dealt more damage and was all round better than the lower level weapon. That's about the only thing we can know for certain when it comes to weapon loadouts. You won't get snipers popping up in certain chests only or anything like that.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I just finished pre-loading the game as well; the stupid 100% finished icon is taunting me now...

Anyways just can anyone toss an invite to my steam account? (Ms.Fit) Can't wait to try out some cool phase-walking builds with the Siren.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Also, according to the SA thread, Borderlands has been pirated as of this morning. Unconfirmed rumor is that they can even play online.

Yeah, saw people yell about it on IRC.

Steam still says 5 days for me. Gah, goddamn publishers. Give it to me already!

Though they'll probably just go "Some retailer broke street date, that's how pirates got it!"

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.