As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Brothers [Chat]amazov

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    The inevitable result of aging is the slow loss of every sense, both active and ambient.

Eventually your hands drop off and you fall over a lot.

tynic on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I realize that's a Dewey Cox reference, but are you actually "smell blind" like me?

Tam - Wow...not only does that syncs up well, but its a hell of an improvement over Fatboy Slim.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    burn off two fingers so you can play like django

Agentflit on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been trying to build up callouses on my fingers to make guitar-playin' easier...so I can play longer than 30 seconds. It actually worked! I thought my body was against building callouses completely - my feet are stupidly soft, and walking barefoot on just about anything outside is horrible.

But now I'm thinking that my hands just aren't "built" to play the guitar. Some chords are just completely impossible for me, because my hands are too small. Either one of my other fingers ends up touching another string and making it buzz annoyingly (and there's no way of me moving my hand in such a way that this does not happen...either that or it's too painful to do so)...or I just can't reach all the strings! That and my pinky has no strength and if I have to reach too far and bend it in a weird direction and exert too much force with it, it hurts like hell.

So yeah. I'm sticking with piano. No weird-ass hand contortions required.

GUITARFAIL TOTP

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    four posts in one minute, this thread is bumpin'

Agentflit on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think that's sometimes the case with me too. I have girly hands.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »
    burn off two fingers so you can play like django

Oh, Django....

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buck - Yes, I'm unable to smell things. I have no sense of smell.

ND - I saw a guy play the guitar with his feet. Quit crying and keep practicing.

Flit - Fuck you.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been trying to build up callouses on my fingers to make guitar-playin' easier...so I can play longer than 30 seconds. It actually worked! I thought my body was against building callouses completely - my feet are stupidly soft, and walking barefoot on just about anything outside is horrible.

But now I'm thinking that my hands just aren't "built" to play the guitar. Some chords are just completely impossible for me, because my hands are too small. Either one of my other fingers ends up touching another string and making it buzz annoyingly (and there's no way of me moving my hand in such a way that this does not happen...either that or it's too painful to do so)...or I just can't reach all the strings! That and my pinky has no strength and if I have to reach too far and bend it in a weird direction and exert too much force with it, it hurts like hell.

So yeah. I'm sticking with piano. No weird-ass hand contortions required.

GUITARFAIL TOTP

you forgot to mention how one finger is twice as long as the rest and the others are shorter then normal short hands and can bend in any direction

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Flit - Fuck you.

my rheumatoid arthritis gives me leverage

anyway when do we all stop self deprecating and post mp3s, I want to hear nervous playing

Agentflit on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I'm still listening to that video. Gypsy techno groove is awesome.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Flit - Fuck you.

my rheumatoid arthritis gives me leverage

anyway when do we all stop self deprecating and post mp3s, I want to hear nervous playing

You really want five minutes of me painfully trying to switch between G, C, and D chords, and then a few random riffs?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2 to 3 days to build low poly props? Jeez thats fast. It took me a week just to do 5 fairly simple tombstones.

I stubbed my toe.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    woahhh I never knew how much more delicious brown eggs are then white eggs

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Are they? I wouldn't know.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought we already had our anosmia conversation

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can only assume it comes up as often for you, as it does for me.

It's just one of those things. Folk going about their business, flaunting their ability to smell, taste, and enjoy things, and I point out that I have no such luxury.

And to be fair, Metal brought up the subject of "smell blind" first.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually just pretend that I can smell so that I don't have to spend forever explaining it to people.

lol you can't taste, food is delicious :9

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You really want five minutes of me painfully trying to switch between G, C, and D chords, and then a few random riffs?

If you feel like it, I get excited pretty easily

Here I will post an old mp3 because I doubt anyone else wants to

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I usually just pretend that I can smell so that I don't have to spend forever explaining it to people.

lol you can't taste, food is delicious :9

Damn you.

I had brussel sprouts for the first time today. I couldn't eat them because it felt like I was chewing on a wad of tightly packed, soggy leaves.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    2 to 3 days to build low poly props? Jeez thats fast. It took me a week just to do 5 fairly simple tombstones.

I stubbed my toe.

To be honest, I forgot about laying out the UV's.

And I said 3-5 days! :P ...in retrospect, it'll probably take me 5 days.....but yeah, each prop will probably be between....oh, 50-300 polys? Modeling will go really quickly...UV's should be very straightforward...texturing will probably be what I spend the most time on...but they're not huge models, and won't have huge textures (probably just 512x512).

I dunno, sometimes I misjudge how long it takes for me to complete something...but I'm pretty positive I can do four of these a day.....(8 hours a day....2 hours each on average...an hour to model and UV...an hour to texture?). Maybe it'll take me a lot longer, I don't know! When I post 'em, I'll mention how long I spent on each.

But the models will just be things like...a chest, barrel, lantern, vase, axe, anvil....etc. Nothing too complex.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

If you feel like it, I get excited pretty easily

Here I will post an old mp3 because I doubt anyone else wants to

Okay, how do I put my guitar on the internets?

Also, Am I starting a bad habit by standing with a pretty wide stance while playing? I keep widening up because it seems to take too much effort to play and balance at the same time. Seriously I look like this but not as awesome:

ninja_guitar_duel.jpg

Also, my feet aren't quite that far apart.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I stubbed my toe.

To be honest, I forgot about laying out the UV's.

And I said 3-5 days! :P ...in retrospect, it'll probably take me 5 days.....but yeah, each prop will probably be between....oh, 50-300 polys? Modeling will go really quickly...UV's should be very straightforward...texturing will probably be what I spend the most time on...but they're not huge models, and won't have huge textures (probably just 512x512).

I dunno, sometimes I misjudge how long it takes for me to complete something...but I'm pretty positive I can do four of these a day.....(8 hours a day....2 hours each on average...an hour to model and UV...an hour to texture?). Maybe it'll take me a lot longer, I don't know! When I post 'em, I'll mention how long I spent on each.

But the models will just be things like...a chest, barrel, lantern, vase, axe, anvil....etc. Nothing too complex.

I am very nervous because I can't do things nearly that fast. T_T and I've been at this for like 2 years.

PROX on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i rearranged my room. it feels so much roomier. i could even have a small couch in here, which is something i've wanted since forever. WHO KNOWS WHAT CRAZY THINGS WILL HAPPEN IN THIS ROOM NEXT!

hey look im eating bread wooooooooooooo

LOOK AT ALL THE ROOM WE HAVE FOR ACTIVITIES!

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Seriously I look like this but not as awesome:
    ninja_guitar_duel.jpg

Well I think you've figured out what you need to work on, hmm!?

I am very nervous because I can't do things nearly that fast. T_T and I've been at this for like 2 years.

Hey, maybe I'll spend 2 hours each on the textures. I don't know how long it'll take me! Don't freak out...and besides, you're much more advanced than I am with the whole modeling thing. You know how to do a lot of things that I don't know how to do, and you've modeled stuff that's much more complex than what I've done. If I run into any kind of issue in Maya or ZBrush or whatever, it'll probably take me a lot longer to figure out what the problem is (and for the record, I did not include "troubleshooting" in my time estimation)!

And even if I do end up being that fast in some miraculous twist of fate...I'm not marketing myself as a modeler! Just a concept artist and/or 2D texture artist. And I'm sure as hell not going to go for Blizzard-anything...at least not for another 5+ years. D:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    put my guitar on the internets?

like this

Time to go finish a whole bunch of work I procrastinated until the last minute, now

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Seriously I look like this but not as awesome:
    ninja_guitar_duel.jpg

Well I think you've figured out what you need to work on, hmm!?

Hey, maybe I'll spend 2 hours each on the textures. I don't know how long it'll take me! Don't freak out...and besides, you're much more advanced than I am with the whole modeling thing. You know how to do a lot of things that I don't know how to do, and you've modeled stuff that's much more complex than what I've done. If I run into any kind of issue in Maya or ZBrush or whatever, it'll probably take me a lot longer to figure out what the problem is (and for the record, I did not include "troubleshooting" in my time estimation)!

And even if I do end up being that fast in some miraculous twist of fate...I'm not marketing myself as a modeler! Just a concept artist and/or 2D texture artist. And I'm sure as hell not going to go for Blizzard-anything...at least not for another 5+ years. D:

You're a good friend for trying to make me feel better. But the truth is i need to work much harder. I LOOK FORWARD TO DOING BATTLE WITH YOU.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    put my guitar on the internets?

like this

Time to go finish a whole bunch of work I procrastinated until the last minute, now

Hosting isn't the problem. Getting it from the guitar to the computer is.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Someone give that man $10,000

PROX on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here, I've got some sweet music for you.

iglidante on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh no I had almost forgotten about this thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_BvrtuxAI

Fugitive on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey cool, that reminds me of the the end times!

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    www.livestream.com/mulldacity
    i am working on the challenge
    if anyone is interested

mully on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    that mcdonalds thing (fugitives)

edit: aww I missed the livestream

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mully wrote: »
    www.livestream.com/mulldacity
    i am working on the challenge
    if anyone is interested

I am curious why you have switched to livestream instead of ustream. Did you also get banned?

rts on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    mmm sourdough baguette

chomp chomp chomp

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.