As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love Penny Arcade but...

youandwhosearmyyouandwhosearmy Registered User new member
I swear Tycho's writing on the news page gets worse and worse each week. All that purple prose and the constant thesaurus syndrome. 'Byzantine gyrations', indeed. It's his website of course and he can write however he wants, but as a professional editor I just get the urge to put a gentle hand on his shoulder and whisper "no". He probably considers it his own 'style' but it's not effective and it aggravates me no end.

youandwhosearmy on

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gabe and Tycho read the forums rarely if ever, try sending them an email.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    If you genuinely want to give feedback on Tycho's writing you should email him. His address is right there on the front page. They don't read the forums anyway, so criticising the writing here is at best a wasted effort and at worst passive agressive trolling.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't see how this latest newspost is any worse than others from an obscure terms standpoint.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I don't mean they literally get worse every week. It's just a trend I've been noticing for a while. I'm not trolling or being passive aggressive as such, just wanted to get it off my chest. If no one else has a problem with it then it hardly seems worth it to give him feedback personally.

youandwhosearmy on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, noone else seems to have a problem with it so, thanks for posting?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, well I guess the 'new comic' thread in Social Entropy would probably be the most appropriate place to mention it. That's where discussion of the comic and accompanying news posts usually go. I think the mods prefer to keep this forum clear for dealing with more technical issues.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    as a professional editor I

... what? Didn't bother to read the 14-word description of this forum?
    Bug reports, general announcements, suggestions, etc. GABE AND TYCHO DO NOT READ THE FORUMS.

Butler on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tycho is being ironic in his posts, the language he uses is meant to sound dickish and uppity

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The difference between what Tycho is doing and what someone with "constant thesaurus syndrome" does is that Tycho is familiar enough with the language to use the words correctly, and for comic effect.

Perhaps the news posts are not for you. Perhaps you exceed Tycho's newly laid demographic boundaries.

Perhaps.

MKR on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009
    There is room in the world of writing both for excessively verbose writers and excessively concise once. If you don't enjoy the writer of Tycho or any other author my advice to you would be not to read their work. It is hardly forced upon you.

Tube on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh hey, is it time to bitch about Tycho's writing again? My, how the week flies.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just don't get how anyone couldn't see that the verbosity is the joke.

Tongue is planted firmly in cheek. It is an exercise in hilarious japes and humorous shenanigans, and so forth.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    as a professional editor .

aggravates me no end.

:P

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    ...Tycho is familiar enough with the language to use the words correctly, and for comic effect.

This is why I love the newsposts. They also have a certain poetry to them. One of my favorite bits is when Sony was running its "All I want for Xmas is a PSP" promotion, and Tycho said "It speaks! But it is not language. It is like the wind blowing through a pile of skulls."

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Butler wrote: »

Bug reports, general announcements, suggestions, etc. GABE AND TYCHO DO NOT READ THE FORUMS.

I suppose my 'suggestion' would be to adopt a better writing style. In the absence of a more appropriate forum (and I don't really think the 'latest comic' thread would be more appropriate) I decided to post it here.

I understand he's aiming for humorous effect, but jesus, change the record occasionally.

youandwhosearmy on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    'Better' writing style, based on the sole opinion of a single dude.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I could've sworn I already posted in this thread already...

Anyways, in hindsight they don't seem to mention it much, so it's forgivable if people don't realize that overly verbose is his schtick. Complaining about that is like going to a Gallagher show and complaining that it seems forced that almost every gag ultimately ends in him smashing something. That's what he does, that's the point.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    His writing style has never bothered me. I just let him do his thing.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I suppose my 'suggestion' would be to adopt a better writing style. In the absence of a more appropriate forum (and I don't really think the 'latest comic' thread would be more appropriate) I decided to post it here.

I understand he's aiming for humorous effect, but jesus, change the record occasionally.

I think you bolded the wrong part of the description quote.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think you bolded the wrong part of the description quote.

haha wow

Butler on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I swear Tycho's writing on the news page gets worse and worse each week. All that purple prose and the constant thesaurus syndrome. 'Byzantine gyrations', indeed. It's his website of course and he can write however he wants, but as a professional editor I just get the urge to put a gentle hand on his shoulder and whisper "no". He probably considers it his own 'style' but it's not effective and it aggravates me no end.

Well, that's ONE effect...

Ivar on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I swear Tycho's writing on the news page gets worse and worse each week. All of that purple prose and the constant thesaurus syndrome frustrate me. 'Byzantine gyrations', indeed. It's his website, of course, and he can write however he wants, but as a professional editor, I just get the urge to put a gentle hand on his shoulder and whisper, "No". He probably considers it his own style, but it's not effective, and it aggravates me to no end.

As an amateur editor, I fixed that for you.

Quit your day job.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't think that's quite necessary is it?

Tube on
  • Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I suppose it was a little excessive. I just cannot fathom the mindset of a person that logs onto someone's Web site just to complain about the way that person runs said Web site. As you said, "If you don't enjoy the writer of Tycho or any other author my advice to you would be not to read their work."

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The great thing about knowing a lot of words and their meanings is that you get to use the most appropriate one more often. I've been called out more than once in everyday conversation for 'trying to sound smart', and I've just picked the most appropriate word I can. I'm sure that what's happening here isn't too much of an overextension of that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Well if you find it annoying like I do, do what I did and stop reading the front page

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Teletheus wrote: »

I suppose it was a little excessive. I just cannot fathom the mindset of a person that logs onto someone's Web site just to complain about the way that person runs said Web site. As you said, "If you don't enjoy the writer of Tycho or any other author my advice to you would be not to read their work."

are you new to the internet or something?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually find Tycho's writings to be rather charming.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually find Tycho's writings to be rather charming.

Sometimes I even enjoy Tycho's post more than the comic. The "byzantine gyrations" thing doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know what those words mean, and even if I didn't, dictionary.com is right there.
    This is actually one of my favourite strips (although it wouldn't work if they were all like that).

But really, at the end of the day,
    It's his website of course and he can write however he wants,

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I just don't get how anyone couldn't see that the verbosity is the joke.

Tongue is planted firmly in cheek. It is an exercise in hilarious japes and humorous shenanigans, and so forth.

Agreed. I enjoy Tycho's writing as much Gabe's art (sometimes more) and think they are a delight to read. Clever, funny, and carefully crafted.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love this one so much.

So much

Ivar on
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll stick my hand up in support of the OP. Tycho's writings aggrevate me because I consider myself to be a very advanced reader (can usually read/absorb written words fairly quickly). I'll finish a 300 page novel in a day or two. His posts almost always require me to read over them again and again because of the words and structure he uses. I like that and hate it at the same time. Reading his posts gives me brain exercise.

Basically - For mental exercise, some people do Sudoku... I read Tycho's PA posts :p

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Using ridiculously over-long words in the way tycho does is extremely entertaining to me. People who say 'utilize' when use would do, on the other hand, drive me up the wall.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, I can top "utilise". As far as misused/non-existent words go, I think "utilitise" is the pinnacle of idiocy.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well I think this has gotten about as productive as it's ever going to.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.