As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Deathknights. Purple People Eaters

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
[Stolen from Zerokku sexcellent post. Updating until the servers come back up]

deathknight.jpg

Death Knight
Last updated 3/23/09

So What is a Death Knight?

The Death Knight is WoW's very first hero class. Players can create one death knight per realm, the player must have a Wrath of the Lich King account and a character of at least level 55 on their account in order to create a death knight. They start off with an epic quest chain from levels 55-58 and even get a free epic mount in the process. The term "Hero Class" refers to their unique lore and elevated starting level.

The death knight uses a very unique resource system to govern his spells and abilities known as Runes. Three rune types exist: blood, frost, and unholy; each with their own specific color and symbol. A death knight has 2 of each rune available to him/her. As they use their abilities, the runes will be exhausted and after a period of time (8-10 seconds depending) the runes will refresh. There are also abilities that will turn specific runes into what are called "Death Runes" that are essentially a wild card and can act as any of the three rune types.

The death knight has yet another resource to manage, known as Runic Power, a sort of cross between energy and rage. While only a few abilties use this resource, It is important to manage it none-the-less. Abilities like Death Coil or Frost Strike are often referred to as "Runic Dumps" abilities that do plenty of damage and use up some of the accumulated runic power.

Many of their abilties revolve around diseases and damage over time abilties as well as "strikes", instant melee attacks that use up a rune and are strengthed by the death knight's own diseases on the target. Think of them as the love child of a warlock and warrior, encased in plate-mail.

Class Roles and Specs

The death knight is a dps/tanking hybrid. They can perform both tasks extremely well and provide many useful buffs to the party/raid they are in. They are able to dual-wield and use most two-handed weapons . Like druids, they tank without shields, but with their face. Their tanking mechanics involve high armor and a high chance to parry

Like other classes they have three unique talents trees. However, the three trees are not as clean cut into tanking trees and dps trees as other classes are. In fact, death knights are often able to perfom either of those tasks in any tree they want, provided they pick up a few necessary talents here and there.

The Blood tree enhances the death knight's melee abilities and damage and vastly improves the ability to heal itself. Surprise surprise, many of these abilities are focused on using the blood rune. Blood also provides healing utility and has some useful buffs that the Death knight can cast on others in their party or raid, such as Mark of Blood or Hysteria.

Frost enhances melee abilities and focuses on increasing both AoE and single target damage. Again it's special abilities focus on the use of Frost Runes (Whoda thunk it?). Frost provides many abilities for damage mitigation, and is often a favored tree for death knights who wish to tank. Frost also provides some very powerful damage abilities like Frost Strike and Howling Blast. One of the most notable buffs this tree provides is a 20% melee haste for the party or raid.

Unholy enhances the death knight's diseases and damage over time spells. It's special abilities focus on the use of wait for it... Unholy runes. It also provides the death knight with a permanent pet ghoul, a gargoyle pet he or she can summon for a brief period of time, and an extra disease. The most notable buff the unholy death knight's bring is a solid +13% damage for spellcasters.

Common Specs
Taken from EJ

These specs are all current as of 3.0.9, but may be outdated in future patches.

Tanking specs -

Deep Frost AoE 10/51/10:
A great mix of aoe and single target threat.

Frost/Blood Build 23/45/3
A very interesting hybrid that shines in single target threat.

Blood Tanking Build 50/13/7
A successful blood tanking build. Yes it's missing a point, Throw that point into Lichborne for an extra avoidance ability or Blood Gorged for extra threat.

Unholy Build 10/8/53
Bread and butter unholy tanking spec. Single target threat suffers, However its AoE tanking is some of the most efficient and stable in the game.

DPS Specs -

50/0/21 Blood dps
Spec based around Gargoyle as primary Runic power dump

51/13/7 Blood dps
Spec uses dancing rune weapon over gargoyle, due to DRW's excellent scaling.

0/32/39 DW Frost
A common and popular frost dual-wield dps spec.

17/0/54 Unholy dps
Another common and popular spec. Many slight variations, but most follow a similar formula.

Common Abbreviations

IT Icy Touch
SD Sudden Doom
BS Blood Strike
PS Plague Strike
HS Heart Strike
HB Howling Blast
FS Frost Strike
SS Scourge Strike
DS Death Strike
OB Obliterate
HC Hungering Cold
DRW Dancing Rune Weapon
CE Corpse Explosion
IBF Icebound Fortitude
CF Crypt Fever
BT Blood Tap
AMS Anti-Magic Shell
AMZ Anti-Magic Zone
UB Unholy Blight
ERW Empower Rune Weapon
DC Death Coil
BB Blood Boil
FF Frost Fever
BCB Blood-Caked Blade
BP Blood Plague
AoD Army of the Dead
DG Death Grip
DnD/D&D Death and Decay

Patch 3.3 Notes Regarding DK's

Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle: There is now a 1-handed version of this rune in addition to the current 2-handed rune.

* Night of the Dead: Now reduces the damage your pet takes from area-of-effect damage by 45/90%, but no longer applies to area-of-effect damage caused by other players.
* Scourge Strike: Redesigned. The base ability now deals 50% weapon damage plus an additional amount as physical damage. However, for each disease the death knight has on the target, the target will take additional shadow damage equal to 25% of the physical damage done.
* Unholy Blight: This talent now deals only 10% of Death Coil damage as a damage-over-time effect on the target.

* Army of the Dead: The cooldown on this ability has been reduced from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. Army Ghoul damage dropped by 50%. Cannot be used in Arenas.
* Raise Ally: The cooldown on this ability has been reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. Cannot be used in Arenas.
* Rune Strike: Threat generated by this ability increased by approximately 17%.

Tier 10 Armor Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPFNapeEp4&feature=player_embedded

Excellent Death Knight resources
Elitist Jerks DK subforum - http://elitistjerks.com/f72/
DK Info - http://deathknight.info/
Skeleton Jack - http://www.skeletonjack.com/

projectmayhem on

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the word on Unholy DPS performance in 3.3? Pretty decent buff?

Walt on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Walt wrote: »
    What's the word on Unholy DPS performance in 3.3? Pretty decent buff?

Yep, looks to be fairly significant, and I think unholy goes back to being a 2hander-only spec(yay) that takes reaping and epidemic.

I'm still unclear on glyph of scourge strike, as all the EJ dudes ever talk about is glyph of disease versus ghoul. With them preferring ghoul over disease, you use IT and PS to refresh diseases, but I think there's some wonkiness about how glyph of scourge strike works with ebon plague. I want as much disease-extending as possible.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of facerolling, we used to have a lot of fun with our DKs, talking about their rotations. The word heartstrike was never said singly. No matter what the context, it always became "heartstrike heartstrike heartstrike".

The best though was when some of our ret pallies were comparing rotations and talking about abilities and the blood DK pipes up "wow, you guys actually have cool names for your abilities? Mine are all called left ear, nose, cheek, right ear."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wahoo! I just grabbed the Keen Obsidian Edged Blade off Onyxia 10 man!

Aww fuck, now I've got to keep switching the fucking Runeforging on this thing.

Goddammit.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PTR notes:

* Army of the Dead: The cooldown on this ability has been reduced from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. Army Ghoul damage dropped by 50%. Cannot be used in Arenas.
    * Raise Ally: The cooldown on this ability has been reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. Cannot be used in Arenas.
    * Rune Strike: Threat generated by this ability increased by approximately 17%.

All awesome, though I would not at all mind the damage of army being only reduced by 35-40%. I've not quantified the dps, but it didn't seem massive for a 20 minute cooldown.

Edit:
    Especially since the personal dps lost from channelling Army has not changed.

Septus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OMG, 0 minutes Cooldown on Army of the Dead for Unholy!

I can finally run around all the time with 10 Ghouls, like I've always wanted!

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Heh, I forgot about that.

I presume it will just be a simple 5 minute cooldown for them.

Septus on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Night of the Dead seems to only touch the AOE damage reduction, unless the cooldown lowering hasn't been mentioned yet. 5 minute AoD? Yes please.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Night of the Dead seems to only touch the AOE damage reduction, unless the cooldown lowering hasn't been mentioned yet. 5 minute AoD? Yes please.
    At 5 minutes it becomes arena legal though, which would probably be a huge balance shift.

EDIT: nevermind then!

Walt on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    PTR notes:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    why are they making Rune Strike do more threat?

isn't that just making an ability that already is too large a percentage of your threat...an even larger percentage?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Night of the Dead reduces the cooldown to 6 min with this change.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20860798697&pageNo=1&sid=1#17

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »

isn't that just making an ability that already is too large a percentage of your threat...an even larger percentage?
    My guess is that it's because we'll be using RS less in Icecrown due to the radiance. Plus it doesn't really hurt us because we already do the best TPS of a tank not being targetted.

815165 on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DK threat is pretty much bottom of the barrel, although close to a Warrior's. We can surpass them easily with a DW build, but that's about it.

This change is just making sure we don't lose 5%-10% TPS in Icecrown.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

My guess is that it's because we'll be using RS less in Icecrown due to the radiance. Plus it doesn't really hurt us because we already do the best TPS of a tank not being targetted.

I really don't think you do. I think paladins take that crown by far since the only reactive threat they have is Holy Shield and that's not much.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the DP change enough to make Paladins totally unreliant on mana from outside sources now? I haven't raided on mine since that happened.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, but its enough to keep up a fairly steady threat rotation minus Consecrate as long as Judgement of Wisdom is up.

On my paladin I do (anecdotally from Omen) about 8k TPS with a full 6969 rotation while tanking...and about 6.5k-7k just alternating Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous with my Seal up. Most of the other sources of a paladin's threat are fairly insignificant.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Woot. Picked up both the 25man ony helms this morning!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh thank god the old thread and its awful title are gone.

forty on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    this one isn't much better

question guys- alchemy as a profession for DK. Good? Bad? Eh?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    also question

Typical 2handed unholy spec

Thoughts on taking 4/5 dark conviction (meaning 4% critical hit vs 5%) and 3/3 Morbidity (15% dc damage vs 10%)

You would get 'less' crits, but wouldn't the 5% extra damage on DC help? Or is the extra crit FARRRR more important?

Also why is necrosis out? Not enough points per dps increase?

Arch on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I didn't think Epidemic was worth taking right now.

Bladed armor would be a better place to take a point to max Morbidity I think.

Anyways, the 'typical 2h unholy spec is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight#_CJT-dN7TOgoSs,FQp,10482 I thought, with some juggling for Imp UP if you aren't rocking great gear. (taking from Dark Conviction for it)

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    also question

Thoughts on taking 4/5 dark conviction (meaning 4% critical hit vs 5%) and 3/3 Morbidity (15% dc damage vs 10%)

You would get 'less' crits, but wouldn't the 5% extra damage on DC help? Or is the extra crit FARRRR more important?

It's my understanding that bladed armor isn't so hot, so I'm going to go with 3/5 for that, and only 2/5 morbidity(because of some supposed 20 second rotation, and 15 isn't necessary), and I will likely take imp. unholy presence.

Also, I don't think the 5% extra death coil damage is a big deal.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    also question

It's my understanding that bladed armor isn't so hot, so I'm going to go with 3/5 for that, and only 2/5 morbidity(because of some supposed 20 second rotation, and 15 isn't necessary), and I will likely take imp. unholy presence.

why IMP unholy pres? Run speed?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's actually infinitely better since it's not the old one.

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    forty wrote: »

i liked the old thread title. Also according to EJ if you have bladed armor popping an indestructible pot before combat gives a dps boost AND you can use a haste pot as well

think im gonna go alchemy/herb

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's not. It doesn't even account for a 1% DPS buff in single target situations (more like about .6-.7%), and it's even lower than that in multi-target situations.

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

i liked the old thread title.
    If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

forty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

i liked the old thread title. Also according to EJ if you have bladed armor popping an indestructible pot before combat gives a dps boost AND you can use a haste pot as well

I don't think alchemy is really any better for DKs than any other profession, in that it is not the best profession, but it's easy as hell to use and level. If I didn't have to farm all the old world herbs again, I might drop alch for inscription.

And yeah, imp. unholy presence is for the run speed, things like Icehowl and the upcoming Sindragosa.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I don't think alchemy is really any better for DKs than any other profession, in that it is not the best profession, but it's easy as hell to use and level. If I didn't have to farm all the old world herbs again, I might drop alch for inscription.

And yeah, imp. unholy presence is for the run speed, things like Icehowl and the upcoming Sindragosa.

Well if you see the RP thread I think that Alchemy is really the only profession besides engineering that fits my DK, and I have engineering on literally every character I have seriously leveled, as WELL as on a warrior alt for a concept character.

Also I have neve leveled alchemy and feel that the self heal from Herb and pots as well as benefits of pots could be helpful

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I meant for 3.3

Ah my bad then :) I have no idea really other than I know I could probably go to EJ forums and find some information, but I try to not get ahead of Live because I might confuse things.

Bigity on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The self heal from herbalism is a joke, even at very high health values. Mixology (the your-elixirs-are-better buff you get for being an alchemist) is wonderful.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    The self heal from herbalism is a joke, even at very high health values. Mixology (the your-elixirs-are-better buff you get for being an alchemist) is wonderful.

I know it is a joke but I am gonna farm the herbs myself for potions

so better than nothing

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I think if your gear isn't great, you make up some dps vs blood presence due to the 10 percent cooldown reduction on your runes. This is probably not the case come 3.3, when we scrap the short rotation. (i.e., refreshing diseases every 10s instead of 20)

Bigity on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DKs benefit too much off of Strength to justify Alchemy as a good profession for the class.
    They also have the best PVE mitigation of any DPS classes in the game, so the heal isn't all that useful.

I'd have a DK reroll both of those professions before they ever stepped into a raid with me.

That said, if you don't care about your pve performance or min/maxing, just do whatever makes you happy. Alchemy transmutes are ridiculously profitable and herbing can also make some quick cash.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    dougly wrote: »
    I'd have a DK reroll both of those professions before they ever stepped into a raid with me.

Wow

Septus on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    dougly wrote: »

Wow

I guess I shouldn't say any raid, but yeah, I wouldn't take on a DK without their professions being JC, BS or Engineering if they wanted a DPS slot in my guild's heroic raids.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I bet they'd probably have more fun shitting out a brick so they wouldn't mind anyway.

I kid, I kid...mostly.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I mean, I expect that from guilds like Vodka or Ensidia that test things out on the PTR and raid 5 or 6 nights a week. I don't expect that from guilds that raid 3 nights a week and also do hard modes.

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.