As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Study: Gays not at fault for the Catholic Church's priest sex abuse scandal

MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Link.
BALTIMORE -- For much of the past decade it has been an article of faith for many, bolstered by the testimony of thousands of victims, that the Catholic priesthood is a haven for child molesters and that the Catholic bishops have been particularly guilty of covering up for those abusers.

But preliminary results from a sweeping study of sexual abuse in the priesthood show that the Catholic Church has been much like the rest of society in terms of the incidence of abuse and the response by its institutional leaders.

The data, which was presented to the U.S. hierarchy on the second day of their annual meeting here, also appears to contradict the widely held view that homosexuals in the priesthood were largely responsible for the abuse.

"What we are suggesting is that the idea of sexual identity be separated from the problem of sexual abuse," said Margaret Smith, a researcher from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, which is conducting an independent study of sexual abuse in the priesthood from 1950 up to 2002. "At this point, we do not find a connection between homosexual identity and an increased likelihood of sexual abuse."

It's been a very, very common notion among conservatives in the Church that gays were the reason for the priest pedophile abuse scandal. If they could just weed out all the gay priests, then the scandal would have never happened. Thus the announcement earlier this decade by the Bishops that they would for real this time ban all individuals from joining the priesthood who have had any homosexual inclinations for the last three years. Of course, that struck the rest of the western world as scapegoating. The study demonstrates what we already know, but hey. It's still interesting.

Melkster on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read the article last night, and again just now, and I can't get past the feeling that what they're really saying is "See, just because the priests molested little boys doesn't make them some homosexual abomination." It's as if they're trying to say being a gay molesting priest is somehow worse than being a straight molesting priest. Especially this bit of double-speak:
    When asked by a bishop at Tuesday's meeting whether homosexuality should be a factor in excluding men from the seminary, Smith responded, "If that exclusion were based on the fact that that person would be more probable than any other candidate to abuse, we do not find that at this time."

When what he's saying is, "Of course we wouldn't exclude someone from the seminary because we though gays are more likely to molest, we'd exclude them simply for being gay!"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Link.
    "What we are suggesting is that the idea of sexual identity be separated from the problem of sexual abuse," said Margaret Smith, a researcher from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, which is conducting an independent study of sexual abuse in the priesthood from 1950 up to 2002. "At this point, we do not find a connection between homosexual identity and an increased likelihood of sexual abuse."
    Wow. That's mighty white of them.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    It's almost as if they are trying to put anti-religious satirists out of business. You honestly can't make a caricature of catholicism establishments that poignantly exaggerate their failings.

Maybe that's their way of striking back against their deriders and critics - making them redundant by always surpassing any expectations of sniveling self-righteousness and bigotry.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    as i actually attended a school where one of these megacrimes went down, I cannot emphasize the fact enough that the combined assemblage gets over it mega quick....... The media retardation of these offences just makes coming forward alot more intimidating, and I think if the catholic church acknowledged the problem, discerned a problem, then audited appropriately, such problems would not exist. If they provided a place where people could come forward, without judgement, (ohhhhhh, confessional? phhht, yeah, right)..... admission of problems would not be such a withdrawn and eventually explosive event.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What's interesting is that there was already a long standing rule on the books banning gay priests before the 2005 announcement saying the same thing. It just wasn't enforced.

And apparently, from what my personal friends in the Catholic Church clergy have told me, it wasn't enforced then, and it certainly isn't enforced now.

But yeah, the Church's position will still be that being homosexual, though not a sin, is a grave disorder. Like alcoholism. Or schizophrenia. Or antisocial personality disorder. Or some other psychological/personality disorder. This study, in my opinion, undermines that notion a bit.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's interesting is that there was already a long standing rule on the books banning gay priests before the 2005 announcement saying the same thing. It just wasn't enforced.

And apparently, from what my personal friends in the Catholic Church clergy have told me, it wasn't enforced then, and it certainly isn't enforced now.

But yeah, the Church's position will still be that being homosexual, though not a sin, is a grave disorder. Like alcoholism. Or schizophrenia. Or antisocial personality disorder. Or some other psychological/personality disorder. This study, in my opinion, undermines that notion a bit.

It does, but it's going to take quite a bit of time for any changes to make it's way up. American Catholics make up a very small percentage of the church and our influence tends to be somewhat limited.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It does, but it's going to take quite a bit of time for any changes to make it's way up. American Catholics make up a very small percentage of the church and our influence tends to be somewhat limited.

But you used to be a spy!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    damn, my post is alllllll sorts of crazy

joshua1 on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I offer the Catholic church this advice; leave the gay priests alone, weed out the PEDOPHILES!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    as i actually attended a school where one of these megacrimes went down, I cannot emphasize the fact enough that the combined assemblage gets over it mega quick....... The media retardation of these offences just makes coming forward alot more intimidating, and I think if the catholic church acknowledged the problem, discerned a problem, then audited appropriately, such problems would not exist. If they provided a place where people could come forward, without judgement, (ohhhhhh, confessional? phhht, yeah, right)..... admission of problems would not be such a withdrawn and eventually explosive event.

Hey, what are you doing in here?

Aren't you supposed to be partying it up in a club?

On topic: I agree with Capt Howdy here. They might think they're treating the disease when really they're just using preconceived notions to miss the point entirely.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Link.
    BALTIMORE -- For much of the past decade it has been an article of faith for many, bolstered by the testimony of thousands of victims, that the Catholic priesthood is a haven for child molesters and that the Catholic bishops have been particularly guilty of covering up for those abusers.

But preliminary results from a sweeping study of sexual abuse in the priesthood show that the Catholic Church has been much like the rest of society in terms of the incidence of abuse and the response by its institutional leaders.

The data, which was presented to the U.S. hierarchy on the second day of their annual meeting here, also appears to contradict the widely held view that homosexuals in the priesthood were largely responsible for the abuse.

It's been a very, very common notion among conservatives in the Church that gays were the reason for the priest pedophile abuse scandal. If they could just weed out all the gay priests, then the scandal would have never happened. Thus the announcement earlier this decade by the Bishops that they would for real this time ban all individuals from joining the priesthood who have had any homosexual inclinations for the last three years. Of course, that struck the rest of the western world as scapegoating. The study demonstrates what we already know, but hey. It's still interesting.

What are homosexual inclinations? Placing Judy Garland on the same footing as Jesus seems to be the only real tipoff.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This is the dumbest line of thinking ever; if you're gay you want to have gay sex with little boys. By that logic, since I'm straight I want to have straight sex with little girls.

Really, thats how it works? Thank you, Church of Catholics, for pointing out how fucked I am for not wanting to have straight sex with little girls. What the fuck is next, the Church of Scientology will weed out all non born rich people because they secretly want to be poor again?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Link.

What are homosexual inclinations? Placing Judy Garland on the same footing as Jesus seems to be the only real tipoff.

And am I the only one who finds jokes like that offensive? I mean, I'm gay. I have quite a few gay friends. And most of us probably don't even know who Judy Garland is, other than someone mentioned for the sake of a gay joke. It's annoying and, frankly, a bit derogatory.

Obviously, being inclined towards homosexuality means being sexually attracted to someone of the same gender. I would assume seminary officials expect candidates to the priesthood to be honest when questioned about it, and then those officials would tell the candidates about the policy and deny them admission. Of course, in the real world, I've heard that seminary officials don't ask, and candidates to the priesthood don't tell, even though they are supposed to. To me, lying about it seems counter-intuitive to the whole vow that they take to be obedient to the Church, but that's just me.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Obviously, being inclined towards homosexuality means being sexually attracted to someone of the same gender. I would assume seminary officials expect candidates to the priesthood to be honest when questioned about it, and then those officials would tell the candidates about the policy and deny them admission. Of course, in the real world, I've heard that seminary officials don't ask, and candidates to the priesthood don't tell, even though they are supposed to. To me, lying about it seems counter-intuitive to the whole vow that they take to be obedient to the Church, but that's just me.

That's a great point. One issue is that Catholicism is not just "what the Vatican says" but also includes a lot of Catholic folk cultures, and certain Catholic folk cultures have long made it a practice to send "unusual" men to either the priesthood or the monastery. The idea is that the Church will both nurture their gifts and curb (or cure) their sinful inclinations. This can take the form of young gay men who specifically seek to enter the priesthood as a way of not being gay anymore. Obviously, it doesn't work out that way. The Church winds up being like any large bureaucracy, struggling with institutional inertia and filled with people who are trying to piece together conflicting orders and policies in an effort to do the right thing.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To me, lying about it seems counter-intuitive to the whole vow that they take to be obedient to the Church, but that's just me.
    The problem is that you're assuming candidates for the priesthood are fully aware that they are homosexual, when in reality they've likely been raised Catholic and taught that any such feeling are wrong and evil, and they've therefore suppressed those feelings all their lives.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Now this part from the study makes more sense:

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    To me, lying about it seems counter-intuitive to the whole vow that they take to be obedient to the Church, but that's just me.
    The problem is that you're assuming candidates for the priesthood are fully aware that they are homosexual, when in reality they've likely been raised Catholic and taught that any such feeling are wrong and evil, and they've therefore suppressed those feelings all their lives.

Well, I'm not sure about that, for the following reasons:

First, just to be clear, the rule says the following: "In light of this teaching [that homosexuality is a grave disorder and that homosexual relations are sinful], this department, in agreement with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, holds it necessary clearly to affirm that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, may not admit to the seminary and Holy Orders those who practice homosexuality, show profoundly deep-rooted homosexual tendencies, or support the so-called gay culture." It goes on to say, "If, however, one is dealing with homosexual tendencies that may be simply the expression of a transitory problem, such as for example an adolescence not yet complete, such tendencies must be overcome at least three years before ordination to the diaconate."

The Catholic Church clearly bars candidates to the priesthood who have claimed a homosexual identity, even those who have committed to celibacy in accordance with the Church's teaching on sexuality generally. But it also bans anyone who has homosexual tendencies, which obviously means sexual attraction towards other men.

I find it highly unlikely that someone can so repress their sexuality that they are fully and wholly unaware of their sexual attraction. That seems rather preposterous. The oppression in the Catholic Church is brutal towards gays, that's for sure, but it's not a level of abuse so horrible that it would cause a person's homosexual desires to retreat to an unconscious level. Speaking as a victim of that oppression - and for other victims - it's not quite that bad.

I have heard of people who have been the victims of severe sexual or physical abuse never developing or losing their sexual desire (or becoming consciously unaware of them). But, as I said, the oppression the Church inflicts is not that bad.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    " We were created in his image, except for the stuff we don't like, That's obviously just..something else! "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    " We were created in his image, except for the stuff we don't like, That's obviously just..something else! "

It's obvious. Whenever something isn't perfect it's because he's testing our faith. Always.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Link.

And am I the only one who finds jokes like that offensive? I mean, I'm gay. I have quite a few gay friends. And most of us probably don't even know who Judy Garland is, other than someone mentioned for the sake of a gay joke. It's annoying and, frankly, a bit derogatory.

Um, obviously you're not hanging around with old gay people like a few of my neighbors. The fact you don't know gay history is more offensive than me alluding to her place as an icon in gay culture that predates you. Do you even know what Stonewall was?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Catholic Church sez: "may not admit to the seminary and Holy Orders those who practice homosexuality, show profoundly deep-rooted homosexual tendencies, or support the so-called gay culture."

That's going to exclude a shitload of people. If you voted "Yes" to an Allow Gay Marriage bill, bam, you're excluded for "supporting gay culture." Have a rainbow on your car? Banned. Five-starred a Queen song on Rock Band? Banned.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Catholic Church sez: "may not admit to the seminary and Holy Orders those who practice homosexuality, show profoundly deep-rooted homosexual tendencies, or support the so-called gay culture."

That's going to exclude a shitload of people. If you voted "Yes" to an Allow Gay Marriage bill, bam, you're excluded for "supporting gay culture." Have a rainbow on your car? Banned. Five-starred a Queen song on Rock Band? Banned.

Must report for awesome...how do I do this?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Which alludes to my question; What exactly is gay in the eye of the Catholic Church that will tip them off? If it isn't stereotypical stuff, which no one in the closet trying to be a priest would exhibit out of fear and guilt, then how exactly do you root them out? Just hire angry Irish alcoholics to badger people in the confessional?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow the Church finally got something everyone else figured out like 2 decades ago!

homosexuality and pedophilia are not the same thing

DUH

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    now we just need to catch all the catholic priests that have molested little girls. i wonder what kind of study they'll put out then.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or better yet, a study on the sexual shenanigans that nuns have gotten up to with their male students.

Figure there has to be one or two with all the recent uncovering of alike relationships between regular teachers and students.

And nuns and priests pairings.
    And nun and nuns....

...I'll be in my bunk.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow the Church finally got something everyone else figured out like 2 decades ago!

homosexuality and pedophilia are not the same thing

DUH

Eh, it's better than Galileo's turnaround.

~100 years before his books are removed from the forbidden index
    ~300 years for someone to say convicting him of heresy was a regrettable error

Fubear on