As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] Now free-to-play, if you can actually log in.

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Starting up a trial in a minute, knowing absolutely nothing about this.

Should be fun.

Biosys on
  • Options
    StDrahcirStDrahcir Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am still here and still playing and still loving it. Trying hard to level up so I can build myself an electric motorcycle (better on fuel and it uses batteries instead of gas). I am level 18 so far. I'm going to be messing around with the camp thing soon too to see how it works.

StDrahcir on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I almost ruined the game for myself rerolling a jillion times because I fucked up my stats, but I'm going full traveler template with some spare AP in either melee or armor use.

I love everything about this game, but I am a bit frustrated with the starting areas since I've done them too much. The levelling is also hella slow, which I am okay with, but some of the mechanics are weird - seems like I can't be a viable character without armor use, but there are plenty of dodge builds that work. I just want to be snazzy.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Giving it a go, hopefully my computer will manage, toting around a post apocalyptic wasteland with two pistols is my idea of a good time.

Moist on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pistols are great DPS, but they eat up ammo like whoah. I tried going rifle at first, but the crossbows you have to use for the first forever are intolerable

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Pistols are great DPS, but they eat up ammo like whoah. I tried going rifle at first, but the crossbows you have to use for the first forever are intolerable

Also, I am named Fallout Shelter and I am a poor, poor traveler with no caps who could certainly use some wink wink or maybe a pistol even more winks.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm going Traveler with a sub-focus in melee, because I just realized it kicks ass to hit someone with a club while shooting them in the face.

One day, I intend to have a Katana and an SMG.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can you wield a pistol and melee weapon in tandem?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yep, one hand can hold a pistol the other a knife and such.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You can, but I think it might be crap. It was what I wanted to do primarily, but I talked to a bunch of people, and it just doesn't work. Which sucks, because I've been doin' it for 7 levels.

I'm just gonna press on putting points into strength and keeping Melee / Dodge / Athletics / traveler mutation
    and hope I didn't screw myself over.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I finished downloading at some point last night, installing now then patches presumably, however, I checked the FAQ and control sheet and cant seem to find a walk button. I quite enjoy roleplaying my character and strolling casually around towns is a must.

Moist on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Picked up the trial last night, name is katrice. I dig the feel, I seem to be confused on some stuff but I only put like an hour into the game last night, and I bought a horse so that was awesome.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I like how the patcher has no indication of how long it is actually going to take, yey for just released mmo's.

Moist on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Christ, I love this game. I stayed up all night last night and have yet to sleep because I was busy scavenging and hitting things with a fire poker.

I've progressed since then, though. I convinced my buddy who I'm collaborating with to trade me a really nice katana a veteran player gave him for a shitload of tradeskill mats, since he's going pure crafter / tech - so not extremely combat viable, but super crafting oriented.

I'm going athletics, dodge, armor use, melee, and that badass traveler mutation

because there is nothing cooler then a man in a fedora with a katana, riding a horse through the post-apocalypse.

also, I've never seen a game world this big. Holy shit.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I agree, the game world is gigantic, the game itself is pretty damn good too, except for the odd mission with the super fast spawning enemies.

Moist on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the NPC density is way too high. But at level 9, I've been cutting three down at a time with relative ease.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Got the trial installed and played a bunch yesterday, and yeah, this game really scratches my itch in the same way that galaxies used to. Right now I'm playing a vista crafter/rifler who will probably do a ton of mutation stuff. I'm not sure I want to pay full price for it though, I've kind of cooled on paying full price for mmo's with a 15 buck fee. I also am not really sure it'll be as fun in a while, guess I'll just play through the trial and see what I think then.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I bought this today, and will be giving it a try after work. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of ranged attacks and lots and lots of crafting.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game sounds awesome. I am glad to see more non fantasy mmo's sprouting up. Trying to get a trial key from the escapist right now. Is there a PA guild? What kind of end game is there atm?

bamjo on
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No PA clan at the moment - my clan is pretty inactive at the moment as well due to the holidays.

Not much end game so I hear.

They aim to increase the level cap to 150 eventually, add up to nine sectors. So I think the devs would be working on that than end-game for 45's. Which is a shame. So if you do play this game, don't race to the max, take your time, craft and so forth. The good thing about FE is that you don't feel forced to level, its just fun all the way through.

I hear there is PvP at the max levels between clans - organised events. But before that there's not much at all. You may be running around a pvp zone for a good 20 minutes before finding another person who may just be doing quests and run away.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I rerolled at level 14. Dear God, help me.

Anyway, now that I know exactly what I'm doing and I've got the resources of a high level character for random shit, I'm making the Rifleman I've always wanted and I'm powering towards a decent weapon. Going FA/AU/R and a mutation.

So look up Jack Rose in the Wasteland, rolling on a motorcycle with Johnny Thunder (my best bud in real life who picked this up too, dedicated crafter) and puttin' holes in bitches

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So far I'm having a blast with this. My character is named Arbiter, he's level 3 so far. So far I've just been pumping AP into Rifles, and then Perception and Intelligence. I spent most of the night crafting/harvesting, mostly doing Ballistics so far.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, I dunno how it is at high level, but at low level (I'm lvl 6) armor doesn't drop for shit. So I'm going to take the day tomorrow to craft myself into some decent armor.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game scratches a very nice itch. I especially like that crafting will continue while you're logged out, just like how in EVE training continues while you're logged out.

I am both frustrated with how low item drops are but also very appreciative. I also like that you can salvage from item drops. This makes crafting that much more important, which I really like because it fits game wise and setting wise.

I have a lvl 5 rifleman named Evigilant. I'm trying to make a person who "lives off the land", that is based on what I kill or harvest, I can cook, make ammo, weapons, armor, etc... to be self-sustaining.

I just made myself a duster torso and some chaps. All I need is a cowboy hat and some boots.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If any of you guys need a clan, I know there isn't an official PA one yet but there's like ~10 of us playing this shit. My friend and I founded one by the name of <The Foundation>, it's rp-lite, but I run the guildchat and everything like any PA guild.

We've also got a vault and a few dedicated crafters; I'm not a big crafter, just enough to get by, so I hit up other guildmembers to make me shit via scavving for them myself and helping keep our CV full

We have 13 active members. I had to kick one dude (without telling him, so he wouldn't rob us) for apparently being way too young and using all caps in chat constantly. He also whined for help, got it everyday, and gave nothing in return, so fuck that.

Anyway, all of you should join us if you want a clan that isn't full of schmucks or requires an extensive application. Just send a tell to Jack Rose, Johnny Thunder, Jack Matrix, or Chris Brock. I'm Jack Rose, my best friend is Johnny Thunder, and the other two are dudes we met ingame that rock. They're the officers, but anyone can invite.

We always help each other. Sendin' clan members armor, caps, ammo, riding out to help them, etc isn't required, certainly, but it's always encouraged.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I don't know when I will get to play this again. Stupid Iraqi internet at this FOB has a restriction on how much you can download. For a month you can download like 5 gigs, which is rather shitty, but since they are the only game in town at the moment I am at their mercy. But hey, at least it's so slow it makes me pine for 28.8k dialup.

Damn patch out now is like 2.5 gigs. :(

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, the first two or three days I've played with game with absolutely no problems. Now, without having made any equipment or settings changes, I randomly freeze up for a couple of seconds. And Fallen Earth is the only game that does this. I played L4D2 for like 3 hours the other night and had no problems.

Not sure what's causing it. Right now I'm using the Defrag Game File System option, hopefully that'll help.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there any way to lower the resolution on this game. It's kicking the shit out of my hardware :(

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I will take a look to see if I can spot that when I get home from work tonight.

An update to my issue from above: After I did the defrag, the problem went away. I stutter a little bit in Oilville, but everyone bitches about lag and stuttering in Oilville, it's got way to many people and way to many buildings in it currently.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Is there any way to lower the resolution on this game. It's kicking the shit out of my hardware :(

Found it. When you open the Launcher, while it's doing it's Update check, there is a button for Options on the lower left. That will allow you to change a bunch of your video and sound settings, including resolution.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been a bit charmed by this game, and actually bought a month to extend my playtime. I probably will not stick around in the long run but I like many of the game's ideas.

My biggest problem right now is with the travel times between towns. I realised after reaching Kingston that I had forgotten to do the first part of the main mission storyline back in Embry or whatever the town was called. Ten minutes of boring-ass riding I am back there, I do the missions, get a new mission and another ten minute ride, do some more missions and then get a mission to go to yet another town that is even further away.

Fine, this is an exception, but even normally I spend at least half of my time travelling rather than actually crafting, fighting or reading up on the lore. I love the big world, but at the moment it is diluting the action a bit too much. I also miss instances, so far at level 10 I have only needed to group twice, and then only with one person.

Vic on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My travel between towns is spent scavenging and I tend to get distracted from my main purpose (traveling from one town to another) and get dragged into exploring some new location or killing a nearby gang whose members ambushed me. Eventually I get to the town, but I have fun on the way there. It's like living a movie about a wanderer. Which is what I like about this game so much.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alot of my time between towns is also spent scavenging, and I always have some sort of crafting going.

I must say I like wandering across the post-apocalyptic environment.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Traveling in Fallen Earth is a good ADD simulation. It's like if you had every tradeskill in WoW.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Found it. When you open the Launcher, while it's doing it's Update check, there is a button for Options on the lower left. That will allow you to change a bunch of your video and sound settings, including resolution.

Cool, thanks! It worked like a charm. It still runs a bit clunkily though which sucks.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Traveling in Fallen Earth is a good ADD simulation. It's like if you had every tradeskill in WoW.

Oh god, my looting OCD. Blips on map! Must grab!

Echo on
  • Options
    KupulaKupula Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I started a tiral account yesterday. So far, the game reminds me a lot of Anarchy Online. Is there any way to get additional quickbars?

Kupula on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep. Click and drag on the corner of the quickbar slot and it expands into infinite amounts of rows.

If any of you want to join a clan, my friend and I founded one that I'd really like to fill with some fine PA folk. Look for anyone in <The Foundation> and tell them you know Jack Rose.

I'm a level 13 First aid/rifles/armor use support DPS guy. I roll around on a motorcycle with a sniper rifle and a reconstructed SOG-8. I'm also one of the few people around who can craft medicine.

Our Clan has a few people who are dedicated, solely, to crafting; we keep the vault full of equipment for noobs, and we're casual as fuck.

If you're having trouble enjoying the game because of any difficulties you can't tackle alone, having a clan alleviates them entirely.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, for anyone in a trial period or new that is wary about the game, things improve substantially once you go farther north into Section 1. Another thing I've found important is actually reading the quest text; they're all hilarious, well written, and - often - form really interesting mini-storylines that are different for each town.

If you get involved in the plot, it makes the game so much more engaging. I'm trying to craft some ammunition for my fancy new SOG-8 semi-automatic rifle, which complements my Scoped Rimfire perfectly. I can pick off enemies from max range; I almost never get hit.

The sheer varity of viable builds in FE blows my friggin mind.

also pretty

CrotchRocket.jpg

[edit] I vehemently encourage anyone reading this thread to at least give the trial a fair shake. FE is different from any MMO I've encountered.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ooooooh, free trial.

Without an exhaustive sign up form, even.

A couple friends of mine are having me look around for something we can all enjoy together. Handy free trials make the search so much easier!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg