As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three Course Meal

PongePonge Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, I shall be entertaining a lovely young lady sometime this week, and I promised to cook her dinner. She's already cooked for me twice and she is an awesome cook, really tasty stuff so I kind of want to up my game a bit to impress her.

I know my way about a kitchen, but I'm not that great to be honest. I'm more than willing to experiment and move out of my comfort zone as I'm uber bored with the meals that I can cook 'well' (bolognaise, chili, lasagne, pasta bakes).

She's from Cyprus and loves mediteranean food, however I don't want to try something that she'll be familiar with as there's no way I'm going to be able to cook it better than her. She also has a vitamin C allergy, so she can't eat anything with too much vitamin C (including tinned tomatos apparently, fresh ones are fine). She doesn't like artichokes, and I'm not crazy about mushrooms, so I think those are the only 2 things off the menu.

I'd like to get fish in there somewhere, I live by the coast so I think I should be able to get a decent piece of fish from somewhere.

Also, corresponding wine/drinks recomendations would be good also.

Ponge on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I've made this before.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/alaska-salmon-bake-with-pecan-crunch-coating/detail.aspx

It's pimping. Decidedly not mediteranean unless you decide to use pistachios or something.

Do you want to do a three course meal in the sense of Italian food, or simply appetizer/entree/dessert?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That does look good, but she made me salmon already so I think I need to go with another fish. She also made me brocolli stilton soup that was incredible.

Ponge on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cooking destroys vitamin C, so if it's actually vitamin c she is allergic to and not the foods themselves cooking it should do the trick.

If this if the first time you're cooking for her why not make a dish your good at making. You might be bored with it but she won't be because she's never had it.

That being said, it's not too hard to whip up a fish dinner.
    1. white wine, fancy cheese, fancy crackers or bread
    2. cod (or other fish), cooked vegetables (broccoli, green/yellow string beans, etc)
    3. desert

I like to heat lemon juice and butter and put it all over the fish and vegetables. Like I said if everything is cooked vitamin c shouldn't be a problem but check with her ahead of time just in case.

Dman on
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got a book at home that has a whole load of recipes in it for different types of food. Once I'm back from work I'll take a look and post here...

However -

You can't go wrong with a well made greek salad and falafels for a main course. It's vegetarian, (I'm an avid meat-eater) but very tasty. We have that a lot, and we add home-made cucumber yoghurt to it.

Baked sweet potatoes and grilled steak also goes well together as a tasty main. I generally make kebabs from the steak and sometimes marinate it in soy-sauce, honey, and balsamic.

Pudding is a little more difficult but something simple like chopped fruit, crushed granola bars, and yoghurt can make a really nice looking, light, tasty desert compote.

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, I'm considering going with a jambalaya. Could I do this with chicken thighs instead of breast?

Ponge on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ponge wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm considering going with a jambalaya. Could I do this with chicken thighs instead of breast?
    Thighs would be better. If you're simmering chicken for a while, it's always better to go with dark meat (dark meat has more connective tissue, which melts into deliciousness over long, slow cooking. White meat, on the other hand, dries out and becomes rubbery.)

However, jambalaya isn't exactly "fancy," if you're looking to impress.

Here is what I would do, my friend. And I know this may look hard, but have faith, and be strong and courageous. I used a similar meal to woo my fiancée.

You can make the cookie dough the day before and refrigerate it in a sealed ziploc bag. The pears for the salad can be made ahead too.

Pear salad
    Roasted chicken and mustard sauce with parsnip-mashed potatoes
    Chocolate chip cookies.

You will need (1) a nice, traditional (not-nonstick) 12 inch ovensafe skillet, a large saucepan, a whisk, a sharp chef's knife or kitchen shears, and a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

•*Pear salad
    Note: The test kitchen prefers Bartlett pears for this recipe, but Bosc pears can also be used. With either variety, the pears should be ripe but firm; check the flesh at the neck of the pear-it should give slightly when pressed gently with a finger. If using Bartletts, look for pears that are starting to turn from green to yellow. Romaine lettuce may be substituted for green leaf.

INGREDIENTS
    2 ripe but firm pears (about 1 pound), quartered and cored (see note above)
    1 3/4 teaspoons sugar
    1 tablespoon olive oil plus an additional 1 1/2 teaspoons
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/2 small shallot , minced (about 1 1 /2 teaspoons)
    1/4 medium head green leaf lettuce , washed, dried, and torn into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
    1 small bunch watercress , washed, dried, and stemmed (about 2 cups)
    2 ounces Parmesan cheese , shaved into thin slices with a vegetable peeler
    1/3 cup pecans , toasted and chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Toss pears, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add pears cut-side down in single layer and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using small spatula or fork, tip each pear onto second cut side; continue to cook until second side is lightly brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Shut off heat, leave skillet on burner, and add 2 tablespoon vinegar; gently stir until vinegar becomes glazy and coats pears, about 30 seconds. Transfer pears to large plate and let cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes. Cut each pear quarter crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.

2. Whisk remaining tablespoon oil, remaining tablespoon vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and shallot together in large bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, watercress, and cooled pears to bowl; toss and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Divide salad among individual plates; top each with portion of cheese and nuts. Serve immediately.

• Roasted chicken
    Note: Try to get an organic chicken. It makes a huge difference. This recipe may seem hard, but just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. If you're stuck on how to butterfly the chicken, look up a diagram online.

INGREDIENTS
    •*1 chicken, 3 to 3.5 lbs
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 softened, 2 cold
    • 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed thru garlic press
    • 2 tablespoons minced chives
    • 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons whole grain or stone-ground mustard
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    •*1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
    • 1 shallot, minced
    • salt and pepper
    • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or better yet, bacon fat)

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, butterfly the chicken by cutting out its backbone. To do this, set the chicken vertically and cut (carefully!) down one side of the backbone, all the way down its length. Then cut down the other side. (You can keep the backbone for stock or throw it away). Flatten the chicken like a book. Press down firmly on the breastbone to crack it and flatten it more. Fold wings underneath themselves. Dry thoroughly.

2. Meanwhile, mix 2 tablespoons softened butter with 1 tablespoon of chives, 2 teaspoons mustard, garlic, and about 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mix until a paste forms. Then, use your fingers to work underneath the chicken's skin on the breasts, thighs, and as much of the drumsticks as you can reach (careful not to tear). Use a small spoon to work this paste evenly under the chicken's skin. Scoop spoonfuls underneath, remove spoon, and smooth it out with your fingers above the skin. Dry chicken skin thoroughly and sprinkle all over, liberally, with more salt and pepper.

3. Heat oil or bacon fat in 12-inch, traditional (not nonstick) ovensafe skillet over medium heat until smoking. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook for about ten minutes until skin is well browned. Then, transfer the skillet (with chicken still skin-side down) to the oven. Roast for 15 minutes. Use potholders to take out skillet and flip chicken over with tongs and/or wads of paper towels. Roast for 10 more minutes. At this point the chicken's breast meat should be 160 degrees. If not (varying on the size of the bird), roast for longer until it reaches 160.

4. Remove skillet and pour off all of the fat (reserve for brussel sprouts if you want), keeping the drippings and browned bits. Set skillet over medium, add shallots, and cook until softened, a couple of minutes, scraping pan. Add wine/vermouth and increase heat to high, scrape pan. Add chicken broth and reduce until it's only about 1/2 cup, about ten minutes.

5. Heat the broiler. Using sharp knife, cut the chicken down the middle of its breastbone so you have two neat halves. Pour any juices back into the skillet. Then place the chicken halfs skin-side up in the reduced sauce, and place in broiler for about 2 minutes until the skin is extremely crispy.

6. Remove from broiler, set chicken on plates (over mashed potatoes). Whisk into the sauce the remaining two teaspoons cold butter, 2 tablespoons mustard, 1 tablespoon of chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce into gravy cup (or around plated chicken) and serve.

• Parsnip-mashed potatoes
    Russet potatoes will yield a slightly fluffier, less creamy mash, but they can be used in place of the Yukon Gold potatoes if desired. Rinsing the potatoes in several changes of water reduces starch and prevents the mashed potatoes from becoming gluey. It is important to cut the potatoes and parsnips into even-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate.

INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 ounces parsnips cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
    3/4 pound Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; rinsed well in 3 or 4 changes of cold water and drained well
    1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    Table salt
    1/3 cup half-and-half , warmed, plus additional if necessary
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
    Ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add root vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is browned and vegetables are dark brown and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. (If after 4 minutes vegetables have not started to brown, increase heat to medium-high.)

2. Add potatoes, broth, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cook, covered, over low heat (broth should simmer gently; do not boil), stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart easily when poked with fork and all liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. (If liquid does not gently simmer after a few minutes, increase heat to medium-low.) Remove pan from heat; remove lid and allow steam to escape for 2 minutes.

3. Gently mash potatoes and root vegetables in saucepan with potato masher (do not mash vigorously; if you don't have a masher you can use a big spoon and/or fork). Gently fold in warm half-and-half and chives. (If potatoes are too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional half-and-half.) Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.

• Fucking amazing chocolate chip cookies
    Note: Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored.

(Note from Qingu: I always use fancy organic brown sugar and white sugar from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, and organic butter. The taste difference is DEFINITELY noticeable. You obviously don't have to make two trays of cookies for your date night.)

INGREDIENTS
    1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
    3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
    1 teaspoon table salt
    2 teaspoons kahlua
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
    1/2 large bar dark chocolate, chopped into fine, long shreds.
    3/4 cup chopped pecan or walnuts, toasted (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, kahlua and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For a variety of three course meal ideas, search on youtube for Jacques Pepin's "More Fast Food My Way" show. The TV station puts entire episodes up, in each one he does a first course, main course, and dessert. Really easy and delicious stuff, plus he's got an awesome french accent.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whatever you do, cook it once beforehand to make sure you get it right. In my experience, whenever I get adventurous in the kitchen, there is a good chance I'll fuck something up. You don't want to come out of the kitchen with her coat in your hand, announcing you'll be dining out that evening.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just last night I was entertaining the same way. I served Caesar salad, fettuccine primavera, and made blueberry grunt for dessert (think cobbler). everything from scratch.

Salad: Big Man Caesar

I know, Vit C is a big part of lemon juice. I'm not sure off the cuff what I might use in place of it, but this is really just to help get some ideas flowing anyhow.

I can post the other recipes when I get home. They're from 2 different books. We had a malbec with dinner that worked out quite nicely, I'll post the actual name when I get home too.

The menu I did was a nice balance of light feeling with some zest, the wine had a hint of a bite which suited our tastes well. Plus, who really hates cobbler? Hot out of the oven when it's chilly out, great comfort food. Definitely added to the get cozy, watch Hudson Hawk and then some quality time.

Edit: As for experimenting without prior practice. I've always jokingly told everyone that I keep pizza money handy in case of a spectacular failure in the kitchen. So far I've only had to actually make good on that once, but it always gets chuckle. Taking a risk on something new the first time isn't exactly a bad thing. A lot of women like it when you don't take yourself too seriously.

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have you considered doing a small roast chicken (2-3lb)? They're normally pretty cheap ($5 for one around here, and you get two meals out of it, plus stock), and all of your sides will be easy to plan in relation to the seasonings you use on the bird. Be sure to use plenty of aromatics (onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, etc.) instead of traditional stuffing to add some extra flavor. Rubbing it down with olive oil and s+p makes for a good skin that's a little crispy, but not too heavy.

I'd do that, since it looks impressive but is actually ridiculously easy, then some bruschetta (just the garlic-olive oil kind) and Greek salad on the side. You might finish with rose water rice pudding sprinkled with pistachios, makes for a nice, not-too-sweet finish that's also pretty easy to make.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vortigern wrote: »
    blueberry grunt

Best name for a dessert EVER. back on topic

I would start with something simple as a starter. A salad, cheese, sampler type thing. Greek salad or roasted garlic (take a bulb, cut off top, drizzle with olive oil, bake in tinfoil, spread on crackers) would be best.

For mains, I think, lemon rice, roast veg, and some chicken (can be done a thousand different ways)

For dessert, something fruity or chocolate would be good. If she's healthier some pineapple or some homemade brownies would be nice.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want something she's unfamiliar with, one of the most prominent fusion chefs in history (a small group) hosts a shitton of recipes and video clips to talk you through them. Hell, if you want a full plate of recipes, he hosts episodes of his PBS show.

Anyway, a good soup might be African peanut soup (add chicken for a holiday meal), a good entree might be fish in piri piri sauce (watch out, spicy), and a good desert for the adventurous couple with a backup is Indian pudding (it's not very exotic, most likely named for Native Americans, but it has a very unusual flavor for a desert). You'll have to google these, though, as I don't have access to my mom's recipes.

If you go with pineapple, try to find a pineapple cutter. It makes the whole thing so much fun.

All salads should have the lettuce cut finely and include sliced anchovies (I know they come sliced, slice then some more). Capers might work if you can't manage anchovies, but they tend to slip to the bottom. Try to find a honey mustard vinaigrette, it's unbelievably healthy.

Oh, and asian pears are the greatest things on god's green earth and should be served with the appetizers or dessert.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, really appreciate them! Given me food for thought... *baboomtish*.

I'd love to do the piri piri sauce fish however this girl doesn't like really spicy food (I on the other hand... Love spicy food). I think i'm going to go with this Scallop Risotto http://www.atasteofgabrielles.com/2009/10/scallop-risotto.html

Ponge on