As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "I Just Don't Get It" Thread

1101112131416»

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't "Get" Katanas. They are nice swords and everything, well constructed to boot, but I don't get the love for them that others put on them.

Generally, it is the fact that the weapons are the generic 'badass swordfighter' weapon, alongside ridiculously large blades that are both taller than me and weigh far more.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Some things I don't get about anime. Overall I like it, but so many of the cliches annoy me.

I don't get the effeminate man as a main character.
    I don't get the "..." as a line of dialog.
    I REALLY don't get the "..." when it is VOICED as an "uuuAAAaaauAAA?"
    I don't get two entirely different artstyles for when the series wants to be funny vs when they want to be serious, and then they flip between the two like an ADD crack baby (trigun, which I overall liked other than the aforementioned ADD crack baby syndrome)
    I don't get the hero who barely even moves through the entire series. One of the vampire hunter movies was like this I think. combat was a black screen, some sword clangs, maybe a slash effect, then back to stationary hero with dead bodies piled around.

I do like many animes a lot. Akira, ghost in the shell, stand alone complex, some of my all time favorites. Along with pretty much anything from studio ghibli (sp?), metropolis, ninja scroll, too many others to remember their names.

Smudge on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know a lot of people don't like Dragonball but I love it, Dragonball and Dragonball Z (GT can sit on it). The thing is that I don't think I can actually defend why I like it to anyone, I really can't decribe.

Plus I am looking forward to Budokai Tenchaichi 2 on Wii (to keep this tenuously game related).

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just flat out don't get how people are so entertained by those "minigame collection" games. Mario Party, Wario Ware, Wii Sports, that new Rayman game, etc all have very little appeal to me. Are people's attention spans that short that they don't want to play anything for more than a minute at a time? Do people really get the same kind of playtime out of those games that you'd get out of "real" games that take you 30+ hours to beat?

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just flat out don't get how people are so entertained by those "minigame collection" games. Mario Party, Wario Ware, Wii Sports, that new Rayman game, etc all have very little appeal to me. Are people's attention spans that short that they don't want to play anything for more than a minute at a time? Do people really get the same kind of playtime out of those games that you'd get out of "real" games that take you 30+ hours to beat?

They make excellent party games. Esprcially if not everybody in attendance is big into video games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get why so many confuse "I don't get..." with "I don't like...".

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:

They make excellent party games. Esprcially if not everybody in attendance is big into video games.
    Perfect rentals, horrible purchases.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:

Different groups of friends then, apparently. Our "party" game of choice for the past year or so has been Tiger Woods.

As for the don't get/don't like thing, I'm not confusing the terms at all. I don't particularly like Halo 2, but after playing it, I can see how other people would like it. It's a great shooter, just not my type of game. The WarioWare et. al. games I honestly don't understand how someone could find that fun. It just kind of blows my mind.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Here's one that I don't get: online deathmatch. It's entertaining to know that I shot my friend in the face, but I don't get the same feeling from shooting some random 12 year-old in the face.

Maybe if/when I get a 360 and some friends list going things will be different?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Roshin wrote:
    I don't get why so many confuse "I don't get..." with "I don't like...".
    Don't forget the personal attack aspect of it.
    jclast wrote:
    Here's one that I don't get: online deathmatch. It's entertaining to know that I shot my friend in the face, but I don't get the same feeling from shooting some random 12 year-old in the face.

Maybe if/when I get a 360 and some friends list going things will be different?
    You have to develop a taste for spamming cheap moves and cheating in any way possible.

I don't get why WW2 is such a big theme in games, namely FPS's. Isn't everyone tired of Normandy by now?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get why there aren't more western themed games. There's been what five in the last three years?

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

and out of those only Call and Juarez and Strangers wrath are worth playing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    I don't get why there aren't more western themed games. There's been what five in the last three years?

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

\What about that vampire one? But yeah, I agree, it's a severely underutilized genre.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

\What about that vampire one? But yeah, I agree, it's a severely underutilized genre.
    Oh yeah Darkwatch. I forgot about that one. But, again it's not worth playing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    METAzraeL wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

Oh yeah Darkwatch. I forgot about that one. But, again it's not worth playing.

I actually had a lot of fun with Gun.

But I think the lack of Western games is for the same reason there's not very many western movies, TV shows, or books: people just aren't interested in cowboys these days. I think there was some genre fatigue after the onslaught in the 50's and 60's, and no one has really shown an interest since

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GUN was great. I agree 1000% on the lack of western games.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    LuckyStrikeYoLuckyStrikeYo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Animal Crossing. I just don't get it. What was the point? Decorate a virtual home? Piss off that bird that acted like he was in the army? Collect fossils and fish? I kept waiting for the game to begin, for some excitment to happen. :?

LuckyStrikeYo on
    Gemini Mind in BFBC2
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

Red Dead Revolver was a western. And Samurai Western (although it wasn't traditional). Bang! Howdy! is an MMORPG from Three Rings (makes of Puzzle Pirates). I never played Dead Man's Hand, but it's a western. And God Hand, although not tradition, again, seems to take place in a western setting.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

Red Dead Revolver was a western. And Samurai Western (although it wasn't traditional). Bang! Howdy! is an MMORPG from Three Rings (makes of Puzzle Pirates). I never played Dead Man's Hand, but it's a western. And God Hand, although not tradition, again, seems to take place in a western setting.
    I guess, but compare that with how many WWII games there are or generic future blaster and it just seems to be a completely underused setting.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If they came out with an Oblivion style Western game I'd be set till 2008.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Animal Crossing. I just don't get it. What was the point? Decorate a virtual home? Piss off that bird that acted like he was in the army? Collect fossils and fish? I kept waiting for the game to begin, for some excitment to happen. :?
    The interest comes from trying to afford new houses to put things in. It ends when you realize you can't get bigger houses, and you're not actually doing anything. I had fun with it, but man, I felt so cheated when I finally realized what was happening.

So GUN wasn't bad? It sounded fun, and I think it's cheap. Maybe I'll grab it. for the GC.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    The interest comes from trying to afford new houses to put things in. It ends when you realize you can't get bigger houses, and you're not actually doing anything. I had fun with it, but man, I felt so cheated when I finally realized what was happening.

So GUN wasn't bad? It sounded fun, and I think it's cheap. Maybe I'll grab it. for the GC.
    GUN was ok, that's about it. There was nothing overtly wrong with it, there just wasn't enough of it.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For 10 or 12 bucks, I think it's well worth the money. It was just under 80% on Gamerankings, and I think that's about right. It's fun. Not life-changing, but fun.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    jclast wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Strangers Wrath
    Desperados
    Desperados 2
    Call of Juarez
    Gun

I guess, but compare that with how many WWII games there are or generic future blaster and it just seems to be a completely underused setting.

I agree completely. I was just proud of how many Western games I could think of.

I think a lot of the difficulty lies in that Western combat just isn't as fast-paces as WWII combat. You've got six shots, if done accurately, before a forced reload.

It will take an awesome developer to make a Western game that is fun instead of annoying. Maybe that's why the majority of the Western games aren't traditional westerns?

Also, does anybody else remember the Gunsmoke game for the NES? It was my first shmup, and if it's ever released on VC it will be mine.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    master_kaosmaster_kaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I havent read all these pages, so I cant say if these have been mentioned but

-Kingdom Hearts. I love disney stuff, I usually love RPGs, but for some reason I just could not get in this game. I played the first one for about 5 or 6 hours and I couldn't stand it.
    I have playhed about 2 hours worth of the 2nd one, and it seems to be a lot better, but I can't really decide until I put in a few more hours

-Devil May Cry. The third one was fun for the first few levels, but then I just couldn't stand it anymore.
    I had no idea why I was actually killing all these monsters (Most likely because I didnt play the first two)
    I got to the level right where you get the Devil Trigger (7th level or so) and then stopped. I might try picking it up again.

master_kaos on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get why hardcore Fallout fans are always so worked up, and worried that one of the last remaining (and arguably, one of the best) RPG developers in the PC world is going to fuck up their favorite series (which, mind you, only had two solid games in the first place)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't get why hardcore Fallout fans are always so worked up, and worried that one of the last remaining (and arguably, one of the best) RPG developers in the PC world is going to fuck up their favorite series (which, mind you, only had two solid games in the first place)

Three awesome games.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I havent read all these pages, so I cant say if these have been mentioned but

-Kingdom Hearts. I love disney stuff, I usually love RPGs, but for some reason I just could not get in this game. I played the first one for about 5 or 6 hours and I couldn't stand it.
    I have playhed about 2 hours worth of the 2nd one, and it seems to be a lot better, but I can't really decide until I put in a few more hours

-Devil May Cry. The third one was fun for the first few levels, but then I just couldn't stand it anymore.
    I had no idea why I was actually killing all these monsters (Most likely because I didnt play the first two)
    I got to the level right where you get the Devil Trigger (7th level or so) and then stopped. I might try picking it up again.

Did...Did you just skip the cutscenes or something? The explanations? they're goddamned DEMONS(I think. Could be a lower sort of evil hellspawn), you're the son of SPARTA, the demon who rebelled for demonkind, and your damn brother is using demons to get to you because he wants Sparda's power that blocks the gap between the human and demon worlds.

And you missed the best part of the game!

yalborap on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:

Three awesome games.

Neither Tactics nor Brotherhood of Steel were awesome.

Tactics was fun, but lacking in every area other than gameplay, and BoS just sucked.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't get the lack of Shadowrun games either. The one for Genesis was godly, the one for SNES was really good...and then it sorta fell off the face of the Earth. Now it finally comes back, and Microsoft is trying to rape it with a big FPS dildo.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!