As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Retro On] Playing through the top 100 NES games! [NSF56K]

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    This list fails in every respect. I am so utterly appalled that the words escape me. Why is U-Four-Ia not on this list? I'm shutting this thread down for violations against the universe.

I already said in the OP that no top 100 list would ever satisfy everyone's expectations. It's too subjective a matter. I can't play every game that was ever released on the NES. I will be making a 'recommended games' list though, for games that didn't make the list but that people should still try out, so I'll put that one on there.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But U-Four-Ia is a crazy metroid-vania of insanity and whimsy.

You play as Bop-Louie, a man whose head literally explodes from his body in order to smite his foes, having crazy landed on a strange planet you must find your friends who were lost in the crash
    You must find Gil, a Bomb-Vomiting Fish-man.
    Shades, a sungalsses wearing ghost whose eyes, fall out of his head when he bashes himself with a hammer, only to seek and eliminate his enemies.
    And some dinosaur guy who I can't recall, I think he has freezing breath.

Seriously, I am filled with a smouldering rage.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Wow, you guys aren't kidding about Shatterhand. It's a blast.

My favorite bot is beta-beta-alpha which gives you a really powerful flamethrower.

Also, get the same combination twice in a row and you'll become a super robot man for a limited time, as seen at :49 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWe7M8X_9c

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You play as Bop-Louie, a man whose head literally explodes from his body in order to smite his foes, having crazy landed on a strange planet you must find your friends who were lost in the crash
    Shades, a sungalsses wearing ghost whose eyes, fall out of his head when he bashes himself with a hammer, only to seek and eliminate his enemies.

Your seething hatred and tears of rage sustain me.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Still got to question the placement of several of these games on your list and how some are missing completely - but you said it yourself: it's your list. So far, I like what you're doing here - keep it up. :)

EDIT: I do see you thought about adding a suggestion list though. Here's what I might add:

Startropics II
    Super Spy Hunter
    Metal Storm
    Mighty Final Fight
    Vice: Project Doom
    Ninja Gaiden III
    Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers
    Mission: Impossible
    G.I. Joe
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission
    RollerGames
    The Lone Ranger
    Mission Impossible is not on the list? I used to play it all the time. It's exactly what it says on the tin. It's like the whole game is designed to murder you. Streets, buildings, sewers, everywhere you go is infested with grunts. You'll walk into a warehouse to talk to a dude but oh hey it's a trap and you get ambushed by goonies. This happens like 50% of the time. The most awesome feature is that you can select 3 different characters each with their own specialties, so even if one of them dies you can continue playing. I play the black dude most of the time since he can kill enemies with one punch. It's also satisfying as hell. Great game.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Game #96

Bill and Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure

Bill_Ted_VG--article_image.jpgbillted-west--article_image.jpgnintendoscreen6.jpg

Genre: Horrible Game
    Developer: Rocket Science Productions
    Publisher: LJN

Let's just get this out up front. I have no fucking clue how this game got on the top 100 video games of the NES, because it is a genuinely terrible game. Let me break it down for you.

You have to travel back in time to find historical figures such as Cleopatra, Rembrandt, George Washington, etc. and give them one of four historical items you find in the level that are hidden. One and only one item works for each individual. For example, you have to give Sitting Bull a lawn chair to finish the level, or else you get sent to the jail.

The only way to find these historical items is to talk to the locals. However, there's a problem with this in that they aren't very helpful and the levels are FUCKING HUGE. Even better! The historical items are completely hidden. The ONLY way to find one is to jump on random things like fences or bushes to figure out if they're there or not. Even better is that there are about 5-6 bushes, fences, rocks, or what have you per screen. And remember, these levels are insanely large.

Another difficulty that I had with this game: it doesn't tell you how to access the levels. See, at the very start you're given a phonebook and told to look for the number that has been changed. Okay. So I flip through this phonebook with 16 historical people in it, and I see all these numbers. I press select and a telephone dial comes up. Alright. I start typing in numbers. Nothing happens. I keep flipping through, can't find anything. See, what the game doesn't tell you is the historical person you're looking for is always randomized out of a list of these 16 guys, and the password to enter the level is the flashing red number at the bottom of their name. I had to use a walkthrough for this entire game because the game is FULL of shit like that.

So what's a game without some difficulty, right? Some enemies that make the game challenging? Well that comes in the form of those villagers I was talking about earlier. They come in three types.

1. The complacent villager
    This guy just chills out, standing there until you go talk to him. He will give you some advice, tell you that you're a terrible human being, or he may give you an item. Once you've talked to him, however, he turns into villager type number 2.

2. The Meandering villager
    This guy will wander around aimlessly until he runs into a wall (or you) and change direction. If you run into him, he will demand payment for you bumping into him (?) in the form of 1 coin. These coins are used to get between levels, so they are rather important and you don't want to give them up. If you have no coins, you are sent to jail. Getting sent to jail is what I refer to as 'dying' in my Death Count.

3. The Crazy Insane Zombie villager
    Some villagers are apparently so incensed at your presence that they feel the overpowering urge to HUNT YOU DOWN AND IMPRISON YOU at all costs! These guys will chase after you (with rather good pathing, I might add) with their arms upraised like zombies. If they catch you, you are sent immediately to jail.

Getting sent to jail is a problem, since as I mentioned earlier the levels are ENORMOUS. The jail is never in the same spot in the different levels, either. Also, since the game is played in isometric view, it can be rather difficult to find your way around since there is no map.

There were some genuinely enjoyable parts to the game, though. The horse riding and canoe parts of the game were kinda cool, and gave you coins if you completed them without hitting anything. This was really the only part of the game I liked, though. Everything else was a pain.

And that's the major, major issue I have with this game that might have made it playable. A map. Seriously, that would have solved most of the issues I had with this game. Ugh. This game was terrible, I'm done talking about it.

The intentional death count is here because I sent myself to jail a few times on purpose in order to facilitate moving around the map easier. Oh, and I forgot to mention this: there are four spots that the historical dudes can be in each level, but it's randomized. They're always strewn about the level randomly, so you have to go look for them. Keeping in mind that these levels are huge, and it can take a long time to find the guys.

Unintentional Death Count: 54
    Intentional Death Count: 7
    Game Over Count: 0

The Good:
    -The canoe and horse sections

The Bad:
    -The game doesn't give you the information you need
    -Huge levels
    -No map
    -Coins get sparse in the last few levels

Rating: 1/5

Edit: Oh and I totally forgot! The ending for this game is terrible. We don't even get a credit roll. It's just one black screen with the words "Congratulations from Rocket Science! Game Over!"

WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!? I just went through 12 levels of terrible video gaming for THAT!?

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blech, I'll just add that I was another one of those that rented it back in the day and promptly took it back for horribleness.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Magic of Sheherazade is probably going to take you a very long time. It's a very unconventional RPG. Seriously, even though you have Final Fantasy and a couple of the Dragon Warriors up there, they won't be nearly as bad even with level grinding to consider.

A few of those other games are going to be tough to "beat" because they don't really have an ending. Some games, like Spy Hunter and Mappy Land (fucking seriously? This game makes it into the top 100 with Yo! Noid?) are just endless as fuck until you run out lives.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Actually Bill and Ted looks like it has pretty good graphics for a NES game, it reminds me more of Genesis and SNES games. Possibly because there was a hard on for isometric games for a while because they almost felt pseudo 3D.

Oh yeah, one more NES game that belongs on the list of awesome: Moon Crystal. It never made it to the US but was translated by fans. It has some very smooth graphics and animation, good music, and a surprisingly well made story with cutscenes that is reminiscent of a decent anime movie (I was going to say Miyazaki but I don't want to go crazy). Here's a video, sadly they skip the cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o68IPyg3og

The cloud effect at 1:41 is really rare for NES games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Why is Ninja Gaiden II so low ranked? O_o It's the best of the trilogy by far.

I'm not sure what you mean by best. It's by far the longest this much is true. However it's also extremely easy compared to the other two, it's not really challenging at all. Plot wise, it and one are tied. When it comes to game play they all have their ups and downs. The control on two is far better then one, but the lack of any real challenge kinda kills it.

One on the other hand, good plot, good gameplay (there are only a couple really obnoxious parts), challenging without crossing into the realm of stupid, and it only has one stupid swiss cheese mechanic, the spin slash = boss dead one shot :lol:

Three had a chance to be the best. But after level 4 the difficulty runs off a cliff, you take too much damage, and they limit continues. For some odd reason they made the NA version harder. Plus the plot makes no sense.

All are good. I just think people like II the best because it's easy to finish without launching a controler through the TV.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Don't knock Yo! Noid.

I actually beat that game when I was a kid, and it's pretty tough.

But I remember having an absolute blast doing so.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The pizza game looked kind of fun and strategic actually. It wasn't a Noid game in Japan, so that explains why it's decent.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Totally subscribed to this!

Also, how is Bubble Bobble in the top 10? I remember playing it as a youngin, and being very....confused.

I did play it a lot though, so I guess that says something.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bubble Bobble is a classic....I'm sure that's why it made the list.

99 levels of bubble popping goodness.

@Sporky: Yea, the fact that it wasn't made originally as a Noid game is probably why it turned out to be a decent game. If you guys haven't played it, give it a try. Just remember, it's not easy. It is a challenge.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've been trying to build a decent NES collection, as I never had one growing up.

This thread is a great resource for this endeavor.

I'm also trying to track down a Famicom, so I can play some of those games that never made it over here, but I don't really know how much I should spend on one.

Eep. I can't find my copy of Ninja Gaiden. I must rectify this.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yea, I just picked up Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Tiny Toon Adventures for the NES from a local game shop a couple of weeks ago for like ten bucks for the lot.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    adventure island 3 biiiiiiiiitcheeeeeeeees

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Super Spike V-Ball and Nintendo World Cup should be on that list.

K A B O O O M !!

Super goals

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, I certainly hope this wasn't a bad idea:

All 4 Dragon Warrior games for the NES; 2 & 3 marked "CIB", 1 & 4 just the cartridge for $116.

Overpaid? Probably.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Good question...do you own these games. or are you having to find and buy them?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    To me or to the OP?

I have the first, and want the others. It seemed simpler to have a bit of overlap than trying to track them all down individually.

I am assuming the OP is being assisted by tools, something in the way he worded the first bullet point.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yea, I was meaning the OP...I was just curious...as some of those games are a bit pricey to come by.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm assuming the OP may be using Something That Cannot be Named.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So anywho, why isn't Roger Rabbit on that list?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What..?

Is this a real thing? Some company needs to do a remake pronto.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

What..?

Is this a real thing? Some company needs to do a remake pronto.

It's really not as exciting as that description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoDvMg1CTY

But it's not a bad game either! It's ahead of its time, plays a lot like Super Metroid mixed with Knytt, cutesy and exploration-based.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Because that game made me cry as a kid >.>

toolbert on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    toolbert wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Because that game made me cry as a kid >.>

What, you mean game #82?

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Doh, it's on there! :shock:

Seriously though, that game is so horribly designed...but somehow I loved it as a kid. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Game #95

Battle Chess

battlechess_nesboxboxart_160w.jpgbattle-chess-screenshot-007-1.pngBattleChess-2.png

Genre: Chess Simulator
    Developer: Beam Software
    Publisher: Data East

Not much to say about this game. It's a Chess simulator, except whenever a piece goes to capture another piece, it shows a little cut scene showing how the pieces fought (and died).

It was nice that each piece-on-piece combination got it's own unique battle scene. For example, the queen uses magic against all of her enemies and the rook is a giant stone golem that clobbers people into the ground. My favorite death scene was knight-on-knight. The winning knight chops the other knight's limbs off, ala Monty Python's Black Knight scene. It was rather humorous.

The game has multiple difficulty settings, from Novice to settings from 1 through 5 for your computer opponent. You can also pick your color, or whether you can play two-player or computer on computer. There is also an option to request a move from the computer, to give you hints on what to do. Nice to see that included in an NES game.

My only complaint is how slow it runs. It takes forever for a piece to walk across the board, and even longer for a knight to move. This is because any time a knight moves through another piece, the game has to take even more time for the piece to step aside for the knight to walk past. I appreciate the realism, I do not appreciate the slowness.

For what it is, it's a great game. I just don't find Chess simulators all that interesting. Overall, not a horrific experience, and great for Chess enthusiasts I guess.

The Good:
    -Faithful Chess simulator
    -Unique battle animations for each piece combination

The Bad:
    -The game runs really slow
    -There is no option to skip combat animations and just play the game

Rating: 3/5

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I played this on 5 1/4 floppy on an old Tandy. It had a terrible glitch where about one in ten moves, the walking character would freeze and start walking at an FPS of about 1/30. 1 frame per 30 seconds. I would leave to go get a drink and eventually when they reached their destination it would continue on as if nothing happened. I just wanted to see the battle animations that much. Fortunately you could set up the board however you wanted.

My favorite were the king's animations - watch this, especially the queen at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZAt4_nLtbQ

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh man Sporky, that is terrible and awesome at the same time :P

I need to just ask you for videos before I post, because you find the best videos of the games I'm talking about at the time :P

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I loved me some Faxanadu. That game was great.

Artereis on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're a cool dude for doing this Spawnbroker

I wish I had the sort of time necessary to do this

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh man Sporky, that is terrible and awesome at the same time :P

I need to just ask you for videos before I post, because you find the best videos of the games I'm talking about at the time :P

Actually I've only done it this once, and even so it's the PC version and not the NES. :P Every other time has been random other NES games.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're a cool dude for doing this Spawnbroker

I wish I had the sort of time necessary to do this

It's going to slow down once school starts back up. Even then I'll be trying to get at least a game a week in at the worst.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Artereis wrote: »
    Man, I loved me some Faxanadu. That game was great.

Yeah, Faxanadu was pretty fucking awesome. That game, Crystalis, Final Fantasy, Wizards and Warriors, Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior 3, Contra, Super C, Castlevania 1, 2, and 3, and Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds were some of my favorite games for the NES. This thread is pretty awesome and I wholeheartedly approve and cannot wait for more updates.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spawn: Did you not see the 2D option? It's just good old fashioned chess: no fancy looking pieces, no battle animations.

Also, hi-5 for the PC version. Did your version have that annoying "find the famous game, input the next move" 'copy protection'?

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Also, hi-5 for the PC version. Did your version have that annoying "find the famous game, input the next move" 'copy protection'?
    No, no copy protection at all. Maybe it would be giving the game too much credit to assume my speed issues were programmed that way for pirates? I think my grandpa gave it to me.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    No, no copy protection at all. Maybe it would be giving the game too much credit to assume my speed issues were programmed that way for pirates? I think my grandpa gave it to me.

Way too much credit, I'd wager.

I'm working on Romance of the Three Kingdoms II (NES) at the moment. It seems ... complicated, for a NES game.

Tamin on