Options

Nic's stuff. (li'l bit NSFW)

2»

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scanner's been giving me trouble, but here's another one before I go to bed!
    scan0007-4.jpg

Nic on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    These are looking a little better but you need to slow waaay down. At this stage it's far more important to be accurate than it is to be quick. Take your time.

Place your features along a center line. Some of them are floating around/contorted.

You're still suffering from football eye syndrome, too. Draw more eyes.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, DDV. I'll do a few pages of 'blank' faces with all the structure lines in place, I really need to get better at that anyway.

Nic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Couple things I did over the last couple days

scan0011-4.jpg

Scosglen.jpg

I think I'll bust out the tablet tonight

Nic on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DUDE! :^::^::^::^:

Your last updates are fantastic.
    Compare these two. The form is sooooo much better. Great work so far.

2i95vrs.jpg

Your drawings are still showing some issues with structure, so remember to keep considering the form when you do some more studies. OTherwise i think its only a matter of time before your work is looking badass. Keep it up!

BTW - your pencil is either too 'blunt', or you're working too small. Use a sharper pencil and go softer on the toning. :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks a lot knight! :D
    Most of my structure issues now I think will be fixed when I have more practice putting down structure lines and stuff.
    I really am a long way off from being any good, which is hard for me, because I really want to do well with this, and be able to draw from my imagination, and draw stylistically.
    My results so far are enough to keep me from being discouraged but also enough to frustrate me a little as well, because drawing from imagination ain't working for me these days.
    I'll just keep doing Loomis and Hogarth studies and practice drawing from life and photos, and hopefully I'll have twice as much progress over the next few weeks.
    At least I'm getting somewhere!

Nic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's one that took awhile, tried to loosen up more. I think I'm happy with it for now.
    scan0014-2.jpg

Nic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's a better John Travolta. Younger too:

scan0018-1.jpg

Nic on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Try to vary your line widths according to how the light falls and how delicate the thing is you're drawing.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, mustang!
    I'll try and work on balancing form and line quality, sometimes I get carried away with one and let the other suffer, I'll be sure to pay more attention to both.

Nic on
  • Options
    ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mr. Travolta's eyes are bit far up his head in the newest one, but you have improved by a fairly large margin in just the short amount of time you have been working on it in the AC thread.

I think one of the biggest recommendations I can give is to not get too focused on one part of the pictures, like eyes, nose or mouth, because then you start to focus on where other landmarks and features lie in accordance to the relation of what you are focusing on, instead of where they should be in the over all picture. I have had a lot of trouble with that in the past, and still do to this day to a minor degree. It is easy for me to slip if I am not diligent about stepping back and looking at the overall picture every so often during the process. I will start to focus on the nose after drawing the eyes, putting the nose where it fits properly in alignment with the eyes, but not look at if it properly fits the frame of the face, or goes too far towards the mouth, if I don't take the time outs ever once and a while to take in the entire figure.

I don't know if that makes any sense or helps much, but I hope it does. You're doing very well and the more you do the bigger leaps and bounds you are making.

I would agree with Mustang that another step forward will be line control and quality, less small and unsure strokes, more flowing longer and thought out strokes. Take a bit more time, and remember that if you are becoming frustrated, instead of hurrying to finish, you can always walk away for a break for a bit because the pencil and paper will still be there when you get back.

Keep up the good work dood!! :D

Chilly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks so much, Chill!
    I'll definitely work on keeping everything in line with the 'bigger picture.'
    It's so good to get feedback, thanks a lot guys!

Nic on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wow, definitely a LOT of improvement in such a short time! Wonderful progress, Nic, keep it up!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven