As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 gaming

klokklok Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Received a ps3 for xmas along with LBP and Uncharted 2. Just beat uncharted 2 (fantastic game) so I'm lookin for some opinions on some other games I was thinking of checking out:
MGS4 - Played 2 and 3 and since the original is on the PSN I was thinking of scooping this up since it's like 20 bucks now.

FIFA 10 - Never played a soccer game since the n64 era but I checked out the demo and it seemed pretty ace.

Cross Edge - Don't know anything about this game but I remember seeing a thread on it back in the day and seemed pretty interesting/confusing as all hell.

Demon's Souls - I'll probably be buying this game based on all the things I've heard, it seems right up my alley.

Dragon Age - Played it a bit on the PC but my comp didn't do the game justice, possibly another must buy but I heard there was some technical issues on the ps3 version.

Valkyria Chronicles - Played the demo and wasn't too impressed, but I love these type of games it just seemed like the AI was kind of silly more often than not. Plus it's super cheap now.

Thoughts? Opinions? Obviously not buying all these games since my wallet is on a diet thanks to the holidays so I'm mostly looking for the 'must buys.' I'm sure I've overlooked some great games too so any recommendations would be stellar.

klok on

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Valkyria Chronicles was awesome. It was one of the reasons I got a PS3. I don't know how it is compared to the demo, though.

You should also check out the PSN original games. PixelJunk Shooter just came out and is a lot of fun. Shatter is a great take on the ol' Breakout style of gameplay. Flower is pretty.

SteevL on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Demon's Souls is fuck all awesome, get it immediately.

MGS4 is great.

MW2 (I know it's not PS3 exclusive, but still shouldn't be without this beast).

LBP

The PSN online games like SteevL mentioned are also great.

Cuboid is really fun, and is one of aforementioned PSN games.

Bunch more, I just don't own them :(.

Edit: Also on Demon's Souls, hard as FUCK. Like literally, maybe even hardest game I've ever played. Including Ninja Gaiden. But when you die in this game it's 100% your fault so it's cool.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles was awesome. Flower is pretty.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stick with the PC for Dragon Age unless you have a hardon for visuals. The controls alone are far better on PC.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragon Age on PS3 is fine, it's supposed to have frame-rate issues but better textures than the 360, as long as you didn't play a lot of the PC version cos it is vastly superior to both console ports to be fair.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depending on your tastes:

Infamous is a lot of fun, an action-packed open-world superhero game with a decent plot and an attempt at Bioware-style moral choices.

Uncharted 1 is now cheap, and while it seems rough around the edges especially compared to 2 it's well worth playing.

The first Ratchet & Clank game is also a lot of fun, if you're into platforming games and wacky humor. The new one is also supposed to be good, but I haven't played it.

Demon's Souls is worth playing, but not for everyone.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure you need our help, klok, since you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what's hot and what's not. But since you ask, sure.

-Siren: Blood Curse (demo)
    -inFamous (demo) - cheap now
    -Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (demo) - cheap now
    -Killzone 2 (demo) - should also be cheaper

Otherwise, your list is pretty perfect. VC, yes. Demon's Souls, yes. MGS4 - if you enjoyed the other 3, absolutely yes.

As for Dragon Age, I too would reccomend sticking with the PC version - its controls were designed for the PC, and the combat is pretty difficult to control to any degree of satisfaction on the PS3. Still, if you're a graphics whore, it will look decent. (It's not a great-looking game to begin with, though.)

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MutatedMutated Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The first Ratchet & Clank game is also a lot of fun, if you're into platforming games and wacky humor. The new one is also supposed to be good, but I haven't played it.

I can vouch for the newer Ratchet and Clank game, it's a blast and a straight upgrade to ToD.

You actually get to fly your freaking spaceship

For the first time since Going Commando

Mutated on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Assassin's Creed II is definitely worth playing and buying if you liked Uncharted 2.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Before I gave my PS3 away, I played the shit out of Valkyria Chronicles. A must own.

I suggest Uncharted 1 as well. Probably not as good as 2, but you'd probably enjoy it if you liked 2

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    inFamous was great (just beat it on Hero and about to play again through Evil).

LBP, obviously.

Honestly I've also been having fun in some of the stupid HOME games (bowling, and Poker) which are free.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you've played Uncharted 2, there is no need to play Uncharted 1, as it is worse by far

You can watch the cutscenes on youtube or something and spare yourself the pain and anguish

Also I've heard a lot of good things about a game called "Shatter" on the PSstore or whatever, might wanna check that out. I probably will

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    If you've played Uncharted 2, there is no need to play Uncharted 1, as it is worse by far

Don't listen to this dumb, dumb man

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Seconded. Uncharted 1 is definitely worth playing, even if you played UC2 first.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't played UC2 yet, but I did play Uncharted on my first PS3 (sold it, and bought a new one this XMAS) and I loved it. It's pretty solid, regardless.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Edit: Also on Demon's Souls, hard as FUCK. Like literally, maybe even hardest game I've ever played. Including Ninja Gaiden. But when you die in this game it's 100% your fault so it's cool.

Hard is an understatement. There really isn't a word in the English language to describe how hard it is. And yes, it's not for everyone. I don't mind difficult games at all, but after playing Demon's Souls I'm literally scared to put it in.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Seconded. Uncharted 1 is definitely worth playing, even if you played UC2 first.

These two people are clearly replicants produced by the Sony-Tyrell zaibatsu

Uncharted 1 is a frustrating train wreck of a cinematic game which constantly makes you play the last few minutes over and over again in direct opposition to it's mission statement, featuring poorly designed enemies, badly placed enemy spawns, unnecessary gimmicky use of the sixaxis, incredibly bad jetski sections, unimaginative platforming, a terrible final boss, and a bunch of other bullshit

Uncharted 2 improves upon it in every measurable way and trying to play it afterward would probably only drive you slowly insane

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sure didn't improve on the final boss. They still haven't come up with a good final boss idea yet

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sure didn't improve on the final boss. They still haven't come up with a good final boss idea yet

Not gonna argue with you there

Although they did have satisfying conclusions once I beat them, even if beating them was a huge chore at least I was rewarded for it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's true, I died on the
    bridge
    three times because I was just so in awe of everything going down.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd suggest renting LittleBigPlanet before buying it, since the physics-based platforming is very much a love it or hate it affair.

Well, for me anyway.

I really wanted to love LBP, but the random, floaty, sloppy platforming that makes up the actual game drove me fucking bonkers, and no amount of cute, Stephen Fry, or user-generated content could make up for it.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    on the flipside, anyone who enjoys momentum-based physical mayhem is bound to love it

edit: not that it matters, since the op already got it for chrissy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

These two people are clearly replicants produced by the Sony-Tyrell zaibatsu

Uncharted 1 is a frustrating train wreck of a cinematic game which constantly makes you play the last few minutes over and over again in direct opposition to it's mission statement, featuring poorly designed enemies, badly placed enemy spawns, unnecessary gimmicky use of the sixaxis, incredibly bad jetski sections, unimaginative platforming, a terrible final boss, and a bunch of other bullshit

Uncharted 2 improves upon it in every measurable way and trying to play it afterward would probably only drive you slowly insane

it also could be said that uncharted 2 repeats the storyline of the original only adding arbitrary characters and detail to make it feel 'bigger', and replaces a large part of the gameplay's tactical shooting core with a lot of purely scripted, unchallenging filler

uncharted: drake's fortune is still my favourite game. ever.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just going to go out on a limb and recommend Condemned 2. It's very cheap and a quick little thrill.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

Hard is an understatement. There really isn't a word in the English language to describe how hard it is. And yes, it's not for everyone. I don't mind difficult games at all, but after playing Demon's Souls I'm literally scared to put it in.

This is grossly exaggerated.
    After playing stuff like the original Siren, not to mention any NES game you care to name, Demon's Souls isn't that bad at all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    klok wrote: »
    Received a ps3 for xmas along with LBP and Uncharted 2. Just beat uncharted 2 (fantastic game) so I'm lookin for some opinions on some other games I was thinking of checking out:

Cross Edge - Don't know anything about this game but I remember seeing a thread on it back in the day and seemed pretty interesting/confusing as all hell.

Valkyria Chronicles - Played the demo and wasn't too impressed, but I love these type of games it just seemed like the AI was kind of silly more often than not. Plus it's super cheap now.[/SPOILER]

Valkyria Chronicles is excellent and well worth getting.

When it comes to Cross Edge, be prepared to level grind a lot if you play it on anything other than easy. Hell, you'll probably need to grind a fair bit on easy for that matter. Other than that, it's similiar to the Disgaea series. Lots and lots of stuff to futz around with, mostly in terms of synthesising weapons/armours/items.

If you're a completionist, Cross Edge will keep you going for a long time. I wouldn't get it at full price, but if you can find it going for half price like I did then it could be worth a look. There's also a small ton of DLC on PSN - some free and some not.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterJonesScooterJones Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone know of any sweet PS3 bundles with new releases coming out anytime soon, like with GOW3 or the like?

ScooterJones on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone know of any sweet PS3 bundles with new releases coming out anytime soon, like with GOW3 or the like?

Other than the holiday bundles, the only ones I can recall seeing are the Uncharted 1 pack & the Modern Warfare 2 pack.

Unless some amazing PS3 game comes out, you might be stuck waiting until next Xmas for a bundle.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg