As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles - Incoming sequel! Sir, we're being overrun by highschool kids!

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [gleam] Sub is out for 12.

Yay!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [gleam] Sub is out for 12. I'll post a review once its completed making its home in my computer.

Or the rest can wait until they're posted online.

Nice bump. [gleam]'s been saving the day lately.
    On an unrelated note, R.I.P MJ.

Grayjack72 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Episode 12 was pretty bangin', damn that was good. Well, except for the ending, it was kinda so so.

Henroid on
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...I'll give my review for Ep.12. Promise.

But as for Ep.13: No review until subs; as it's mainly all talk.
    Yeah... Remember that scene preview? It was to throw off the Imp guards from catching the fact that Rosie isn't a Darcsen (at least that's what guess). Regardless, it seems to throw a potential for light Rosie/Zaka romance.

The infltration of Fouzen is different, and this time, no tank! But there seems to be a good deal of stuff going on in terms of talking and character relations (Faldio seems to be trying to really get Alicia and Welkin together (though I must admit he must like Alicia to spend this much time trying to get her and Welks together)).

Next Ep. Preview:
    Team A and Team B, no tank, all on-foot, no Gallian armor/suits/uniforms. More Zaka/Rosie luv...

Random:
    "Mommy, how did you and daddy meet?" :?:

"It was an unforgettable meeting. Your father had to pretended to rape me just to prevent the guards from finding out I was a spy. Of course, I hated him for it, but in the end, after literally being forced together under fire, I came to respect his unique approach to life, and married him." [Dreamy Look <3 :whistle:]

"..." O_o

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    ...I'll give my review for Ep.12. Promise.

But as for Ep.13: No review until subs; as it's mainly all talk.
    Yeah... Remember that scene preview? It was to throw off the Imp guards from catching the fact that Rosie isn't a Darcsen (at least that's what guess). Regardless, it seems to throw a potential for light Rosie/Zaka romance.

The infltration of Fouzen is different, and this time, no tank! But there seems to be a good deal of stuff going on in terms of talking and character relations (Faldio seems to be trying to really get Alicia and Welkin together (though I must admit he must like Alicia to spend this much time trying to get her and Welks together)).

Next Ep. Preview:
    Team A and Team B, no tank, all on-foot, no Gallian armor/suits/uniforms. More Zaka/Rosie luv...

Random:
    "Mommy, how did you and daddy meet?" :?:

"It was an unforgettable meeting. Your father had to pretended to rape me just to prevent the guards from finding out I was a spy. Of course, I hated him for it, but in the end, after literally being forced together under fire, I came to respect his unique approach to life, and married him." [Dreamy Look <3 :whistle:]

"..." O_o
    I think I saw Vyse in the Gallian Army.
    And then I think I saw his corpse.

Grayjack72 on
    edited June 2009
    Has there been any word regarding the new DLC making its way to NA?

Chance on
    edited June 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything yet.

Grayjack72 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

IT BETTER

Also, fuck SEGA needs to port VC to 360 like yesterday
    Seriously, they're missing a Scrooge McDuck-esque pile of money if not and then maybe they'd realize to FUCKING COME OUT WITH A GODDAMN SEQUEL YOU FUCKS

Rent on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The battle vs Jaeger is evil. The designers should be ashamed of themselves for creating something like that. :(

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    The battle vs Jaeger is evil. The designers should be ashamed of themselves for creating something like that. :(

Strategize, man! Yuu can duu eet!

I did - without any help or FAQs or nothin'. And I'm far from the sharpest knife in the tool shed.

Chance on
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do your best, and always remember - if a battle's got you down, you get to go back and do it on new game + in 1 turn with Alicia, thus avenging your frustrations.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009

I did - without any help or FAQs or nothin'. And I'm far from the sharpest knife in the tool shed.

I'm very sharp! And the most modest person ever!

Yeah, I didn't hate the level for being hard, but I certainly felt like it was done poorly. Boss fights don't belong in strategy games, in my opinion. I want to be able to choose and adapt a strategy, not be forced to do a specific thing. Fire Emblem and this are both guilty, but Fire Emblem to a far greater degree. Anyway, you'll get it. But we might as well shun the designers.

Shunnnn.

Also, I'm back from a basically reasonless absence! And back home from school. Are the last twenty pages worth reading?

Not that it matters, I'll probably read them anyway.

Shivahn on
    edited June 2009
    Get either Jann or Audrey and level them up to 20. They will get Ultimate Anti-Armor. Once they do, it's a matter of waiting for Jaegaer to get near your base camp. By then, you can destroy Jaegaer's tank with either of those two in one turn. Just be sure to bring along an Engineer.

Grayjack72 on
    edited June 2009
    Shivahn wrote: »

I'm very sharp! And the most modest person ever!

Yeah, I didn't hate the level for being hard, but I certainly felt like it was done poorly. Boss fights don't belong in strategy games, in my opinion. I want to be able to choose and adapt a strategy, not be forced to do a specific thing. Fire Emblem and this are both guilty, but Fire Emblem to a far greater degree. Anyway, you'll get it. But we might as well shun the designers.

Shunnnn.

Also, I'm back from a basically reasonless absence! And back home from school. Are the last twenty pages worth reading?

Not that it matters, I'll probably read them anyway.

While you were gone I got infracted, jailed, banned, unbanned, went to Kuwait, went to Iraq, and got intarnets.
    So yeah :P

Rent on
    edited June 2009
    Also, because I was bored and had nothing better to do with my time, I decided to crunch the numbers on who posted the most in the three VC threads we've had thus far:
    First, I'll provide top ten lists of posters for each thread we've had:
    Thread 1 (Title: Valkyria Chronicles hype thread- Very, very simply one of the best games this year)
    Written in a Poster: Number of Posts style
    1. Chance: 344
    2. Rent: 158
    3. Chrono Helix: 91
    4. Antihippy: 88
    5. Corporal Carl: 88
    6. OneWingedOtaku: 84
    7. Malechai: 71
    8. greeble: 69
    9. EggyToast: 67
    10. Crashmo: 56
    Combined, the top ten posters equal 1116 posts, a staggering 45% of total posts in the initial thread. Between the top two posters (Chance and me) alone, we made up 20% of total posts in the initial thread. One could argue the fact that nearly half of all posts were centered on ten posters correlates with the initial excitement amongst a hardcore, but small, fanbase, which would link to sales numbers as well. Damn, Chance did some hardcore gamewhoring in the inital thread :wink:

Thread 2: (Title: Valkyria Chronicles- discussion of the anime also welcome)
    1. Rent: 178
    2. Henroid: 159
    3. Chance: 131
    4. Shivahn: 101
    5. PikaPuff: 99
    6. Arminas: 80
    7. Wren: 77
    8. zllehs: 74
    9. Chrono Helix: 70
    10. OtakuD00D: 67
    I gots to go but I'll finish this up later

Rent on
    edited June 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Also, because I was bored and had nothing better to do with my time, I decided to crunch the numbers on who posted the most in the three VC threads we've had thus far:
    Thread 1 (Title: Valkyria Chronicles hype thread- Very, very simply one of the best games this year)
    Combined, the top ten posters equal 1116 posts, a staggering 45% of total posts in the initial thread. Between the top two posters (Chance and me) alone, we made up 20% of total posts in the initial thread. One could argue the fact that nearly half of all posts were centered on ten posters correlates with the initial excitement amongst a hardcore, but small, fanbase, which would link to sales numbers as well. Damn, Chance did some hardcore gamewhoring in the inital thread :wink:

Damn. That's some pretty good math. We'll have to do another one at the end of this thread.
    [tiny]I think I may be in the top 10.[/tiny]

Grayjack72 on
    edited June 2009
    Grayjack72 wrote: »

Damn. That's some pretty good math. We'll have to do another one at the end of this thread.
    [tiny]I think I may be in the top 10.[/tiny]

When I comes to VC, I am a whore indeed - but I am offended at the implication that I only preached the gospel of VC in its own thread. I took that shit on the road. And speaking of being a whore...
    I hope I can make it as interesting as Professor Snugglesworth's. ...I think it's Snugglesworth's, anyway.

Chance on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chance, you are the best kind of whore.

Henroid on
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Chance, you are the best kind of whore.

:winky:Flattery will get you freebies.

Also, sigged.

Chance on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009

Whoo! I did something!

So proud.
    While you were gone I got infracted, jailed, banned, unbanned, went to Kuwait, went to Iraq, and got intarnets.
    So yeah :P

So, you're saying I'm some manner of cosmic glue. And when I leave, everything goes crazy.

I will be sure to abuse this power in the future.

Shivahn on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its not so much that its hard. I actually only tried it once and just had put in the completely wrong team to handle the situation. Its more that unless you know what's going to happen, you don't really stand a chance of winning on your first attempt, which I'm not a fan of.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • BalrogBalrog Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I started the Edy DLC stuff last night. Why didn't I use Jann in my main playthrough? He's great.

Balrog on
    LinkImage.png
    edited June 2009
    Balrog wrote: »
    I started the Edy DLC stuff last night. Why didn't I use Jann in my main playthrough? He's great.

You got it, hon!
    Oh, and Shivahns back!?!?

Grayjack72 on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its not so much that its hard. I actually only tried it once and just had put in the completely wrong team to handle the situation. Its more that unless you know what's going to happen, you don't really stand a chance of winning on your first attempt, which I'm not a fan of.

Not really. That battle is very doable with a balanced team (2 of every class, except for 1 engineer), which was my default lineup (isn't this the case for most people?). And you can call in reserves from bases, in case a particular strategy isn't working.

When I first got access to the Headquarters, I listened to every recruit's initial greeting, and Jann was instantly placed in my starting lineup. The only other character to make as strong a first impression was Vyse.

Junior Yank on
    edited June 2009

When I first got access to the Headquarters, I listened to every recruit's initial greeting, and Jann was instantly placed in my starting lineup. The only other character to make as strong a first impression was Vyse.

I always checked their greetings first, but the only one I really remember making a great impression on me was Aika. It was like, "shit - you're really up for this, aren't you?", and she was all, "no problem, Boss!"

Chance on
  • ViraletanViraletan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I always checked their greetings first, but the only one I really remember making a great impression on me was Aika. It was like, "shit - you're really up for this, aren't you?", and she was all, "no problem, Boss!"

And then you get "Bang Bang Baby!"

You then know you made the right choice.

Viraletan on
  • Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aika and Vyse are very awesome in VC.

They should have been their own squad.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
    edited June 2009
    Aika and Vyse are very awesome in VC.

They should have been their own squad.

Yes but like I said before, I'm pretty sure I saw Vyse's
    corpse in episode 13

Grayjack72 on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok that is bullshit. I'm going along on the first forest snare mission, which by itself is kind of bullshit as it is a stealth mission, and I come upon Ty the Fucking Immortal. I thought I killed him in Vasel, but apparently he really is immortal because he's back to kill me dead while my forces consist of 2 scouts which I can't lose either of. Grrrrrr.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You did. Alive... now dead.

Ep.12 Review:
    Outside the castle, Karl witnesses Alicia and Cordelia being tied up and taken away on a cart. He rushes to tell Jaeger, and around the same time, Selvaria finds the ragnite crystal that Alicia dropped.

Welkin meanwhile returns to Faldio with his sister and Ramal, and Faldio sees that Alicia isn’t with them, he realizes that something is up. He runs to where Jaeger and Selvaria are and, after seeing the ragnite, accuses them of doing something to Alicia.

Jaeger, however, explains what Karl saw and claims that the Empire wouldn’t have done this because it wouldn’t want the Federation stepping in to protect Gallia. Jaeger suspects that there’s someone who wants power that he'd sell Gallia to the Federation, and Alicia got kidnapped with Cordelia because something unexpected happened.

Learning this, Welkin decides to propose that they help each other, much to Faldio’s dismay. If they work together, Welkin and company would get Cordelia and Alicia back, and Jaeger and the Empire would prevent Gallia from becoming part of the Federation.

Jaeger agrees to help and sets out with Selvaria and Karl. He explains to Selvaria that part of the reason he’s doing this is because he wants to see what kind of man Welkin is and if he’s worth fighting.

By now, Alicia and Cordelia are in the back of a truck, and both of them have regained consciousness. Alicia heard their captors talking about taking them to a Federation border town, and she knows that they have to escape. She’s confident that her friends will come save them, but to Alicia’s surprise, Cordelia doesn’t care what happens to herself.

Shortly thereafter, Faldio and Ramal catch up in their motorcycle, and Alicia helps them out by kicking a blanket into the face of the kidnapper who was going to fire at them. Faldio uses this chance to jump onto the side of the truck and throws one of the kidnappers out, but he’s barely able to dodge a bullet fired by the driver. Fortunately, Welkin and Isara then catch up on the Edelweiss, and Welkin tries to get Alicia and Cordelia to jump onto the tank.

Cordelia, refuses to go because she feels that nothing will change if she’s gone since von Borg can handle things. This causes Alicia to try to talk some sense into her, and she points out that not everyone is able to be born and live however they like.

She questions if Cordelia has ever actually seriously tried to do something, and these words have a visible effect on Cordelia. However, before they can jump, the kidnapper that Faldio threw out of the truck’s front cab climbs onto the back and takes Alicia hostage (how the hell...).

Welkin responds by drawing his own gun, and despite Faldio's warning, Welkin fires and hits the kidnapper. This gives Cordelia the chance to jump onto the tank, and she lands in Welkin’s arms.

Faldio meanwhile takes control of the truck, and he’s barely able to stop it before it drives over a cliff. In the aftermath, everyone is reunited, and they return to the castle. Along the way, Welkin calls up Jaeger and they part on good terms.

Cordelia is back on her throne by morning, with von Borg at her side, and she’s decided not to make what happened public so as not to raise the anxiety of the people. She still needs von Borg, but she tells Welkin to tell Alicia that she might not be here now without Alicia’s words.

On the way out of the castle, Faldio asks Welkin why he fired his gun after Alicia had been taken hostage. Welkin admits that he didn’t think that anything would happen to her and had assumed that she’d be okay.

He gives Faldio back the piece of ragnite crystal that Selvaria had returned, and he’s grateful because it was what helped them realize that Alicia was gone. This causes Faldio to comment on how Welkin’s words sometimes sound arrogant, and he asks what Welkin would do if he said that he liked Alicia. This surprises Welkin, and he has no immediate answer for Faldio.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    But, but, that's Vyse! He can't die! He killed Ramirez and Maximillian! He's just sleeping. With his eyes open.

Grayjack72 on
    edited June 2009
    Man, every time I think we're absolutely crazy with the VC fanboyism I check out the Scribblenauts GAF thread and realize we're nothin' compared to that

Rent on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, that battle isn't as bad as all that, but it certainly took me a couple tries. Not because of Jaeger though.
    Because that bitch Selvaria decided to rape all my personnel that were still on the canyon floor in one to two turns after I knocked out all of its cannons. You have to do some very careful planning in order to come out of that battle without losing anybody permanently - and using Jaeger's ride as it moves is part of how you get out of that.

Slagmire on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But, but, that's Vyse! He can't die! He killed Ramirez and Maximillian! He's just sleeping. With his eyes open.

Lies!
    That doesn't look a thing like Vyse, other than the strap-on monacle. Who's that gray-haired chump trying to be!?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited June 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

Yeah, that battle isn't as bad as all that, but it certainly took me a couple tries. Not because of Jaeger though.
    Because that bitch Selvaria decided to rape all my personnel that were still on the canyon floor in one to two turns after I knocked out all of its cannons. You have to do some very careful planning in order to come out of that battle without losing anybody permanently - and using Jaeger's ride as it moves is part of how you get out of that.

I think you're thinking of
    the battle with the Batomys. You fight Jagaer later on in the game.

Grayjack72 on
    edited June 2009
    Woah hey Bursar long time no see
    Vyse should appear in Persona 5
    I know it's not your guys' IP, nor makes any fucking sense but think about it
    "Oh Haotome I just don't know if I can face the truthy truthiness of the hearty heart part of my soul withou-"
    CRASH
    "Someone's in trouble here, aren't they?! Hah hah hah, let me help you miss!"
    "Wait, what's happening here?! And...is that an AIRSHIP?! How did you fit that in this dungeon?"

Rent on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait Vyse is a character from another IP? And I guess Aika too then? What's he from originally?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited June 2009
    Wait Vyse is a character from another IP? And I guess Aika too then? What's he from originally?

Skies of Arcadia, you NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB
    :3
    Seriously play SoA
    It's for GCN/ Dreamcast

Rent on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

I think you're thinking of
    the battle with the Batomys. You fight Jagaer later on in the game.
    I'm thinking of the Batomys fight. Still - fun fight.

Slagmire on
    edited June 2009

Skies of Arcadia, you NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB
    :3
    Seriously play SoA
    It's for GCN/ Dreamcast

Love that game. In fact, I'm playing it as I type.

Grayjack72 on