As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hecto[chat]

• Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've not seen any Dr. Who.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Matt Smith is quite possibly the worst choice ever for Doctor Who.

you're kidding, right?

I can think of many choices which would have been much, much worse.

Okay. Keanu Reeves might have been worse.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I mean Doctor Who is kind of a cultural touchstone for Brits, but American Doctor Who fans were kind of like the dudes that hardcore dorks would make fun of to feel better about themselves.

I mean it is 30-year-old loopy, poorly-made English sci-fi that ran on PBS.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral! Teamviewer is awesome!

Also I was going to ask you for tips on indulging my ex in a rape fantasy but I think I decided against it.

Inorite!

Also: oh, okay.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    So was Helena Bonham Carter actually a possibility, or is this just some random hypothetical?

She was one of the rumours that was thrown out. A lot of people were strongly speculating that the new Doctor would be a woman and Helen Bonham Carter is quite possibly the perfect choice for a female Doctor.

It would have been nice if the new Doctor wasn't a younger white male.

What was the name of that black guy from Jekyll who everyone thought is might be? Patterson something?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    So, IMHO, Helena Bonham Carter would have been the perfect doctor and she'd be female to boot, which would be an interesting twist on the mythos.

However, another person who would have made an awesome doctor:
    alexander-siddig.jpg

Ooooooh. Who is that fine looking chap?

Alexander Siddig? Rrrowr. :winky:

He played a doctor once. He was kinda so-so.

He was one of the best characters on that show.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also; Americans.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So was Helena Bonham Carter actually a possibility, or is this just some random hypothetical?

She was one of the rumours that was thrown out. A lot of people were strongly speculating that the new Doctor would be a woman and Helen Bonham Carter is quite possibly the perfect choice for a female Doctor.

Yeah. I agree there.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I mean Doctor Who is kind of a cultural touchstone for Brits, but American Doctor Who fans were kind of like the dudes that hardcore dorks would make fun of to feel better about themselves.

Why are you so dead set against fun?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well, I actually did watch a lot of PBS as a kid and I did grow up on a lot of Doctor Who when it ran on PBS. That shit was awesome.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1149891_alexander-siddig.jpg

Holy crap, it's the same guy.

He looks so different now that he's older and has a beard. The beard's really what makes it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Hey will!

bite me

yours,
    nexus

Wait for the neckbeard thing or for the comment in the comedy thread?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I mean Doctor Who is kind of a cultural touchstone for Brits, but American Doctor Who fans were kind of like the dudes that hardcore dorks would make fun of to feel bad about themselves.

Yeah, I really do think it's different for people from the UK.

It's like, people from the States complain about the special effects being crap, whereas I feel that they're just not stretching the BBc props department hard enough like they did in the old days :P

BobCesca on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also I was going to ask you for tips on indulging my ex in a rape fantasy but I think I decided against it.

crazy ex + easily misconstrued sexual situation = tim passed around prison like a collection plate

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I mean Doctor Who is kind of a cultural touchstone for Brits, but American Doctor Who fans were kind of like the dudes that hardcore dorks would make fun of to feel bad about themselves.

I watched it as a little kid. As a kid, it was something I looked forward to each day. Hell, most of the current American fans were people who watched it as a kid.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Also you do not restart a series after a fifteen year gap (except Paul McGann, which barely counts) with the intention of appealing primarily to the original fans.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What was the name of that black guy from Jekyll who everyone thought is might be? Patterson something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDu5D_IXbc

this guy?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also; Americans.

Yeah, doesn't so much apply to me.

I mean, I happen to be American, but I get the aesthetic of your... "humour".

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's like, people from the States complain about the special effects being crap, whereas I feel that they're just not stretching the BBc props department hard enough like they did in the old days :P

Aren't the BBC props the department the same people who gave us bouncing beach ball monsters in Red Dwarf? :?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Why are you so dead set against fun?

Man I remember going over to a buddy's house in the 80s and his (probably Aspergers I realize now) dorky older brother was huge on Dr. Who. I think he even had one of those wacky scarves.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So, IMHO, Helena Bonham Carter would have been the perfect doctor and she'd be female to boot, which would be an interesting twist on the mythos.

However, another person who would have made an awesome doctor:
    alexander-siddig.jpg

Ooooooh. Who is that fine looking chap?

Alexander Siddig? Rrrowr. :winky:

He played a doctor once. He was kinda so-so.

He was one of the best characters on that show.

His primary purpose was to make Garak shine.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He was a bit of an arsehole Bashir at the start, but then he turned out rather well.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chanus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDu5D_IXbc

this guy?

Yes. Numberwang guy.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, Will meant "loopy and poorly made" in a bad way.

japan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

crazy ex + easily misconstrued sexual situation = tim passed around prison like a collection plate

Well I was going to try and record an audio stream to both my and her computers to prove consent without allowing a video of my hairy ass to circulate the intertubes, but honestly my appreciation for her pierced nipples and propensity to let me do anything I want to her doesn't make up for the fact that I still hate her.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Aren't the BBC props the department the same people who gave us bouncing beach ball monsters in Red Dwarf? :?

yep.

they are infamous for making every penny count and getting the most out of their 10p budgets.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    12th Doctor will be black, 13th will be a woman. and then the 14th, when they retcon that shit, will be an American.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am worried that I am beginning to enjoy too many british things.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, there are moments when DS9 is on the background and I think Gaius Baltar has fallen backwards in time and landed in a Starfleet Jumper.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well I was going to try and record an audio stream to both my and her computers to prove consent without allowing a video of my hairy ass to circulate the intertubes, but honestly my appreciation for her pierced nipples and propensity to let me do anything I want to her doesn't make up for the fact that I still hate her.
    Wouldn't that just make it easier?

Bama on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn, it feels good to know that we have it better than any nerds in human history.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Do you boil all your meals?

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »

Wouldn't that just make it easier?

I

I'll let you know how it turns out.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

yep.

they are infamous for making every penny count and getting the most out of their 10p budgets.

You Brits take pride in the oddest things. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    12th Doctor will be black, 13th will be a woman. and then the 14th, when they retcon that shit, will be an American.

The Master is actually well past his allotted number of regenerations. The loopholes already exist.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Woo woop!

Golly gop giddy my good chap!

Tea toddles time in a tinkly!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think the reboot has been pretty great. It is still distinctively English and campy but has much improved production values and actually decent acting and writing.

Old Doctor Who is I guess fun for its time and place and distinct identity in kind of the same way that the original Start Trek is, but honestly it was not especially coherent or good. It is kind of loopy and fun when it's not being soul-searingly boring.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Do you boil all your meals?

No.

BobCesca said I should make a soup yesterday. I had all of the ingredients and backed out at the last second to order take out. I feel that may have been a critical decision.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    resourcefulness is absolutely something to take pride in

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.