As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

thwart [chat]

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Star Ocean 3:
    I never finished it, but it's an MMO? So what about the other Star Ocean games? They take place in the same universe don't they? So they were an MMO too? Fucking fucking fucking stupid.

and the most hilarious part? they never go anywhere with it

yeah they try to pull off some lameassed pseudo-descartian twist as the end with it but the plot would have functioned fine without

the kid who drops the plot bombshell even says the characters aren't directly controlled in the MMO, and then in his encyclopedia entry it says the same kid controls a renowned starship pilot in the MMO

Rust on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    I did get Tales of Vesperia in addition to Star Ocean 4, so that'll be good at least...?

I liked Symphonia...

VESPERIA IS RAAAAAD

okay that might be laying it on a little thick, but it probably was the best JRPG i played last year

most likable cast i've seen outside of the persona games

Persona... Now there's a series I need to play. Never actually got around to them, but a friend of mine has all of them and I want to borrow them sometime.

Dragon Age, too. I got some gift certificates for christmas that I plan on spending on Dragon Age. Although I'm gonna wait until I beat everything else first.

By the time you finish everything else, ME2 will be out and that will probably be better than Dragon Age.

I mean I do recommend picking up DA sooner or later regardless.

Is Persona out for the PSP now? I think I heard that. But I guess I also heard that Persona 1 is real clunky and really only useful for nostalgia purposes.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Will, The Last Remnant was pretty crappy at parts, but not even close to the worst JRPG.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I read the Wiki page and I still don't know what the fuck.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Also I think I lied about not finishing any JRPGs besides FF7 and Chrono Cross. I am pretty sure I beat both Golden Sun games on the GBA.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    eh the whole game is kind of clunky. it is not nearly as well-polished as other bioware products. I don't really know why. I still found it worthwhile though and played through it 2.5 times.

I thought the graphics and presentation were kind of clunky and old-fashioned but, I dunno. I felt like it made up for a lot of things with raw content. Like, I love Mass Effect, and it is a way slicker game, but when you've been through it a couple times it's hard not to notice the ways in which the game is held together with spit and baling wire, like how the in-game universe is kind of distended by the practical limitations of only having one model for every alien race. Dragon Age seemed to have a lot more of that sort of meat.

But but Dragon Age was just so clunky and ugly. Like the sweet love scenes were so awkward and embarrassing I just wanted to crawl under my couch. And having multiple models for the non-human characters is only a benefit if they are actually good models.

But yeah I went through ME 3.5 times and you do eventually start to notice, especially in those side missions, that the same building gets recycled and all of that.

I noticed that the same building gets recycled the first time through, though I think I had the misfortune of doing the sidequests that used the same building right after one another.

There are bits and pieces I like better in Mass Effect and Dragon Age and right now its really hard to choose one over the other. Though I agree the sex scenes seem clunky in dragon age while I didnt really notice that in Mass Effect.

If anything I really like how Dragon Age "feels" really big and open even though it is quite linear.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Will, The Last Remnant was pretty crappy at parts, but not even close to the worst JRPG.

Man those opening sequences had such an otaku nerd-funk I just couldn't move forward. Plus the combat sequences were a whole lot like not actually playing a game.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also I think I lied about not finishing any JRPGs besides FF7 and Chrono Cross. I am pretty sure I beat both Golden Sun games on the GBA.

How was the second one? I loved the first one but I think I stopped playing rpgs and didnt really feel like playing it when it came out.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh god hamham is being stupid in the death penalty thread

"eye for an eye hurrrr those who kill forfeit their lives duuuhhhh

"my entire moral code is taken from bad anime"

paraphrased, of course

i just dislike that guy

Rust on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have never finished a JRPG ever.

EVER.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

How was the second one? I loved the first one but I think I stopped playing rpgs and didnt really feel like playing it when it came out.

I remember liking it. IIRC it had an upgrade to the class-selection system of the first game, like your little mans could equip any combination of four sprites and each unique combination would yield a distinct class. I thought that was neat. The story was probably just the same kind of japanese garbage that all JRPGs have, but it was relatively new to me at the time, so it didn't disgust me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did get Tales of Vesperia in addition to Star Ocean 4, so that'll be good at least...?

I liked Symphonia...

VESPERIA IS RAAAAAD

okay that might be laying it on a little thick, but it probably was the best JRPG i played last year

most likable cast i've seen outside of the persona games

Persona... Now there's a series I need to play. Never actually got around to them, but a friend of mine has all of them and I want to borrow them sometime.

Dragon Age, too. I got some gift certificates for christmas that I plan on spending on Dragon Age. Although I'm gonna wait until I beat everything else first.

By the time you finish everything else, ME2 will be out and that will probably be better than Dragon Age.

ME2 will probably be on Microsoft's Expertzone for cheap. I got ME for $9 the month it came out. Because Microsoft is awesome like that.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Man those opening sequences had such an otaku nerd-funk I just couldn't move forward. Plus the combat sequences were a whole lot like not actually playing a game.

I have forgotten the opening sequences, but they didn't leave a lasting impression of bad.

I do agree about the combat. That was my biggest gripe. Actually it would have been an awesome system if they just let you choose each character's action specifically, but yeah not really being able to tell your people what to do sucked.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We need to bring back the guillotine.

Ludious on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    eh the whole game is kind of clunky. it is not nearly as well-polished as other bioware products. I don't really know why. I still found it worthwhile though and played through it 2.5 times.

I thought the graphics and presentation were kind of clunky and old-fashioned but, I dunno. I felt like it made up for a lot of things with raw content. Like, I love Mass Effect, and it is a way slicker game, but when you've been through it a couple times it's hard not to notice the ways in which the game is held together with spit and baling wire, like how the in-game universe is kind of distended by the practical limitations of only having one model for every alien race. Dragon Age seemed to have a lot more of that sort of meat.

But but Dragon Age was just so clunky and ugly. Like the sweet love scenes were so awkward and embarrassing I just wanted to crawl under my couch. And having multiple models for the non-human characters is only a benefit if they are actually good models.

But yeah I went through ME 3.5 times and you do eventually start to notice, especially in those side missions, that the same building gets recycled and all of that.

I'm not saying DA wasn't clunky; I think it was blatantly clunkier than Mass Effect in a lot of ways. It was ugly and the animations were often awkward and so forth. But on the other hand, there was a bigger variety of places and stuff, and they felt more organic to me. Denerim's market felt like a genuinely busy place, by contrast with the Wards which mostly felt like hallways. And I liked how you'd go into someone's room and they'd have furniture and personal effects instead of blank concrete walls.

I get the feeling that ME was really kind of a low-budget game compared to your Halos or GTAs or whatever, but they just polished the shit out of what they had. I'm hoping that its success means that the sequel got more resources, more art assets, all that good stuff so we can get the best of both worlds, the quality presentation and the meaty content.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't really know why or when I turned so against japanese popular culture. I remember thinking it was kind of neat at one point. Now it just revolts me to a degree that kind of surprises me.

Maybe I am not the best candidate for "dude who spends a lot of time moderating a message board dedicated to video games and lousy with kids who fuckin lurve them some japan"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

I went to this art collector's house where in his office he had one of the very first electric chairs.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have never finished a JRPG ever.

EVER.
    does Kingdom Hearts 2 count? If so, I've finished one.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't really know why or when I turned so against japanese popular culture. I remember thinking it was kind of neat at one point. Now it just revolts me to a degree that kind of surprises me.

Maybe I am not the best candidate for "dude who spends a lot of time moderating a message board dedicated to video games and lousy with kids who fuckin lurve them some japan"

Yeah I just rewatched the opening sequence to The Last Remnant, and it was actually pretty cool. Definitely not very weeaboo at all for a JRPG. Like, one of the least weeaboo JRPG intros I've seen in a long while.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I don't really know why or when I turned so against japanese popular culture

The why: you're smart.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'm not saying DA wasn't clunky; I think it was blatantly clunkier than Mass Effect in a lot of ways. It was ugly and the animations were often awkward and so forth. But on the other hand, there was a bigger variety of places and stuff, and they felt more organic to me. Denerim's market felt like a genuinely busy place, by contrast with the Wards which mostly felt like hallways. And I liked how you'd go into someone's room and they'd have furniture and personal effects instead of blank concrete walls.

I get the feeling that ME was really kind of a low-budget game compared to your Halos or GTAs or whatever, but they just polished the shit out of what they had. I'm hoping that its success means that the sequel got more resources, more art assets, all that good stuff so we can get the best of both worlds, the quality presentation and the meaty content.

My understanding is that DA was kind of kicking around the halls of BioWare for like fucking ages, and was originally supposed to come out last generation, and what we got was the result of some executive just setting a deadline and telling the devs to pull the fucking trigger already. To their credit it does feel like a complete game in terms of the story and the options and the characters and voicework and production and all of that. It's just that the graphics look (are) last-gen and the menu interface is really clunky and half-baked. They also needed a little more time in the oven to balance the console difficulty I think.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah I just rewatched the opening sequence to The Last Remnant, and it was actually pretty cool. Definitely not very weeaboo at all for a JRPG. Like, one of the least weeaboo JRPG intros I've seen in a long while.

With like the impudent kid all inadvertantly mouthing off to the prince of the realm and that dumb 4-armed cat thing and the little floppy-eared wizard race and all of that? God I did not like that.

No sir I did not.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I went to this art collector's house where in his office he had one of the very first electric chairs.

They were I think invented by Edison's company to show the world the dangers of the alternating current, since Nicola Tesla had the patent to AC.

The first electrocution failed on the first iteration to kill the guy, took eight minutes in total and eventually caught the dude on fire.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010

I think what I hate about it is the way it seems like tailor-made for the worst sort of nerdy obsessives and high-functioning autistics.

Like, okay, Bayonetta. Someone in the thread called her a "meganekko", which I looked up and it apparently means a girl in anime who wears glasses and is typified by the bossy class president in a high school comedy type story.

Their pop culture is so geared towards the precise and unvarying reiteration of a set of cliches that even the most minute aspects come with specialized jargon to describe them. And nerds eat that shit up. They love it. It makes them feel connected to have some arcane word to describe a phenomena that only occurs in a certain subset of children's tv shows.

But if you're on the outside it turns into a nightmare of jargon that is utterly divorced from anything in reality. At least something like the Star Trek thread right now they're discussing which version of the ship is better looking. That might be nerdy but it strikes me as a healthier kind of nerdy.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've finished.... let me think.

Final Fantasy 1
    Dragon Warrior 1
    Phantasy Star
    Phantasy Star 2
    Phantasy Star 3 (this one several times, best music of the 16 bit era)
    Phantasy Star 4
    Chrono Trigger

A bunch of marginally jrpgish games like Shining Force 1-2, Shining in the Darkness, SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Ogre Battle

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think what I hate about it is the way it seems like tailor-made for the worst sort of nerdy obsessives and high-functioning autistics.

Like, okay, Bayonetta. Someone in the thread called her a "meganekko", which I looked up and it apparently means a girl in anime who wears glasses and is typified by the bossy class president in a high school comedy type story.

Their pop culture is so geared towards the precise and unvarying reiteration of a set of cliches that even the most minute aspects come with specialized jargon to describe them. And nerds eat that shit up. They love it. It makes them feel connected to have some arcane word to describe a phenomena that only occurs in a certain subset of children's tv shows.

But if you're on the outside it turns into a nightmare of jargon that is utterly divorced from anything in reality. At least something like the Star Trek thread right now they're discussing which version of the ship is better looking. That might be nerdy but it strikes me as a healthier kind of nerdy.

i remember when my brother tried to watch the bleach movie and shut it off after a couple of minutes because, even though it was dubbed, it sounded like they were speaking a foreign language

that's not exactly what you're talking about but it's still funny

it seems that only the worst anime and japanese stuff is really badly riddled with those weirdo pervert cliches, though

stuff like cowboy bebop and baccano lacks them entirely

Rust on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd totally give the Bros a do-over on The Matrix too..but they won't do it. They're too busy being transgendered and producing bad chop suey films

To be fair only one of them is occupied with being transgendered

The other one is far too ugly to pull it off

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ooh shit I definitely finished the single-player of PSO and PSU if those count. I am wicked kawaii.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jakob: That is called an archetype. They are nothing new.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ooh shit I definitely finished the single-player of PSO and PSU if those count. I am wicked kawaii.

Seeing as any game after 4 claiming to be called Phantasy Star does not, in fact, exist (at least in a fair and just world) they cannot therefore count for anything.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think I would like to be stationed in Japan at some point.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    it seems that only the worst anime and japanese stuff is really badly riddled with those weirdo pervert cliches, though

stuff like cowboy bebop and baccano lacks them entirely

It's not the sexual thing, though.

It's everything. Like, a completely non-sexual anime about a happy kitten's adventures in the big city will have all this specialized terminology used to describe it. The kitten's sidekick will be a bookuwan, obviously, and the mean apartment super who chases the kitten out of the warm lobby into the rain is a total gichako. OLOL!!!1!!!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Earlier today, I asked [chat] how much time it would take to write 500 words.

I don't know if anybody who was online then is online now, but I have a related question.

Is 34 words/minute, average, a good speed for somebody writing basic but original material every day?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Earlier today, I asked [chat] how much time it would take to write 500 words.

I don't know if anybody who was online then is online now, but I have a related question.

Is 34 words/minute, average, a good speed for somebody writing basic but original material every day?
    Certainly isn't terrible, but not great, either.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not the sexual thing, though.

It's everything. Like, a completely non-sexual anime about a happy kitten's adventures in the big city will have all this specialized terminology used to describe it. The kitten's sidekick will be a bookuwan, obviously, and the mean apartment super who chases the kitten out of the warm lobby into the rain is a total gichako. OLOL!!!1!!!

The only difference here is that manga fans know the terminology for manga and you do not know the terminology for Western literature.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Give some examples Incenjucar

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

No, it's not. An archetype is broad. When you have words whose meaning is so attenuated that they describe a character's gender, sexuality, mode of dress, personality, age, job, and the type of sub-sub-subgenre they occur most frequently in, that is pretty much the opposite of archetypal.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

No, it's not. An archetype is broad. When you have words whose meaning is so attenuated that they describe a character's gender, sexuality, mode of dress, personality, age, job, and the type of sub-sub-subgenre they occur most frequently in, that is pretty much the opposite of archetypal.

Darmok and Gilad, at Tanagra.
    Shaka, when the walls fell.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm trying to decide whether I should open another beer and get kinda drunk, or a bottle of wine and get fucking drunk.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Beer opened. I guess the menu is "kinda drunk."

I have a bottle of champagne at F's house. I think I'm going to pop it open tomorrow for no good reason other than to celebrate Friday.

Edit: I'm just going to start using the first initial of her potential forum name should she ever decide to register.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.