As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nanostray 2: For the 7 fans on PA boards!

AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.nanostray2.com/

Trailer
http://www.nanostray2.com/files/shinen_nanostray2_video1_divx.avi

01.png06.png
04.png08.png

For the 7 Nanostray fans, looks like we're getting the sequel soon! And this looks awesome too. Bonus: Seems like they've dropped the pseudo-3D perspective, and have went for a full top-down/side scrolling view.

AlphaTwo on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whoa!

I guess that means Nanostray was released!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    looking good.

glad to hear publisher has had less influence over the devs this time round, no forced touch screen controls. And the "full top-down/side scrolling view" sounds better from a gameplay perspective, even if less showier for 'the masses'

LewieP on
  • Options
    TuomaTuoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I read this is going to have wifi, is that still in the game now?

Kinda liked the first one even though it needed some polishing, will buy it no mather what simply because the ds lacks shmups.

Tuoma on
    Tuoma.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BITCH! You beat me to this! I was even going to include "GIANT ENEM--AW, F**K IT." with this pic.

04.png

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    NeoGAF has YouTube'd the trailer for those of you that can't watch it.....like me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-5NGSBVsY

Gosh damn.....PW2, Pokemon Diamond, and Nanostray 2. I think I could be happy enough with just those three DS games for this year.

I need to save money anyways.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YES

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope this one is actually good. The first one kinda blew. (Yes, I have it - hunted around for it. :-/)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is totally rad. Anyone with DS should get it when it comes out.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't like the first one.

:|

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:
    I don't like the first one.

:|

This one looks superior in every way, if you have a DS you ought to try it out when it's released.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought the first one, played it for a few days, and put it down. I'll probably buy this one when I can get it on the cheap.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this game looks great. Is the first one this good?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked the psuedo 3D.
    And the last boss was pretty fun. Sorta. I guess. :P

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    racyrefinedrajracyrefinedraj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thought the first was pretty meh until I started on the challenges. Those were fun++ would play again. Any word on whether 2 has a similar "challenge mode" style option?

racyrefinedraj on
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first game is really difficult. I never did find any videos online of how to high score stages.

I'm glad they dropped the silly pseudo-3D; It made an already hard game more difficult. The touch controls were crap too and could have easily been mapped to buttons.

Someone needs to develop a top down shooter that uses both screens.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YES!!

I remember hearing that they were changing the style to be more gradius-like, so I'm glad they actually went through with it.

I really can't stand the pseudo-3d (or the evil that is the invisible bars at the edges of the screen) but this looks to be a vast improvement, especially in terms of gameplay. The controls felt too clunky in the first one, but this looks to be a bit more smooth.

Of course, I still wish that there were more shmup options out there, especially on the DS. I might even have to buy a 360 depending on what treasure puts out. :(

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I'm one of seven. I feel so special.

It looks good that they took out the touch screen controls, as those were just annoying. I hope this one will have more levels, as my main complaint about the first one was that there wasn't enough replay value. I also hope that they are going to market this one better, as Nanostray got very little mention anywhere on the tubes.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    smallmouth wrote:
    The first game is really difficult. I never did find any videos online of how to high score stages.

I'm glad they dropped the silly pseudo-3D; It made an already hard game more difficult. The touch controls were crap too and could have easily been mapped to buttons.

Someone needs to develop a top down shooter that uses both screens.

Actually, on that note, there's some gameplay video floating out there of Raid Over the River. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8859251871838045458 Yeah, yeah, I know. It's Nibris, a company known for being total frauds because they don't show their stuff very often. I don't know how that makes them total frauds, but apparently it does.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm eagerly anticipating this game i liked the first one quite a bit.

I'm glad there's no more touchscreen controls those really sucked.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought the first one, played it for a few days, and put it down. I'll probably buy this one when I can get it on the cheap.

Yeah, it's alright for a bit, but it doesn't really hold up.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    jeffcjeffc Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :^:

The first one took me a while to get into, but once I did it was a totally awesome experience. I don't think I've cleared all of the challenges yet, either.. those were tough as hell.

From the trailer, it looks like they've got a little Gradius thing going with the energy balls around your ship. I'm not sure if I like the idea of ship upgrades, but I guess we'll see how it works out in the end.

I also hope they do something better with multiplayer. A co-op mode would be like a wet dream.

jeffc on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hot damn this game is pretty.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Count me in as one of the seven. I love the first game, despite nothing entirely radical about it, it was a good title. Now if they only converted Mars Matrix to the DS, I would be one happy monkey. Until then Nanostray 2 looks sweet. :D

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Am I number 6 or 7? I'm in there some where.

Nanostray on the DS is awesome. At first, I thought it was 'meh' at best.. but once you understand how the Challenges work, you start getting into the game, big time.

The Challenges add tons of replay value to the game. It's awesome.

And then, once you've nailed a few challenges, it's a blast to go back and play through the game in Normal and Hard settings. Hard gets tough.

I really enjoy the smooth presentation and music, and the variety of locales. As far as gameplay, I really like how they use the Chains of enemies to recharge your special attacks. There's also a good variety of weapons, one to use for all the various situations. Once you get good at knowing what weapon to use and when, you start to rip through the game. It becomes great fun.

But beating Challenges is a whole other ballpark. Beating the campaign is all about using your various weapons and dealing out damage and destruction. Challenges are all about precision and conservation.

I very much look forward to Nanostray 2, and I appreciate the fact that they're removing the 'tilted' playing field. The tilt was the only fault I really had with the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm stoked, but does anyone know about the multiplayer this time around?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    I very much look forward to Nanostray 2, and I appreciate the fact that they're removing the 'tilted' playing field. The tilt was the only fault I really had with the game.
    The perspective really fucked me up. I had the same problem with Iridion 3D. I'm normally at least passable with shmups, but I would crash into things all the time. The more traditional screen format plus the removal of those infernal touchscreen controls equals an instant buy for me.

As much as I disliked the first Nanostray, it was a stunningly beautiful game. Can't wait to see what they pull out for the sequel.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm a little worried though, because the second set of screenshots in the OP have what appear to be slightly tilted playing fields in the shot.

Also, I loved the touchscreen controls. I felt it was better than scrolling through the weapons with L and R shoulder buttons.

That was mostly due to knowing what weapons I would need coming up and being able to switch to the right one in the interim between waves of enemies. But eventually the key weapons went to muscle memory.

Ultimately, I don't care how weapon switching is handled, I'd be fine with it either way. But I loved having access to all the weapons at all times, instead of the way Iridion II did things.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks far more up my alley than Nanostray 1 did.

Shows the pure potential the DS has for curtain fire shmups if someone decides to take advantage of it.

Castle Shikigami DS? Sold.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember the old NanoStray ads that were on a few websites back before it was released. They said "Real gamers play shooters", and I was all like "Fuck you, real gamers play games that don't have tacked-on horseshit control schemes".

My roomate has a Lite, and I'm always on the lookout for a good shooter. He's thinking about picking it up once it's released, so here's hoping.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    To everyone who hated the controls to the first game...........please tell me you honestly tried the game while using the L button for firing instead of A.

I had a hard time at first just like everyone else, but once I realized L could be used, it all just made sense and became much more comfortable on your hands.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTP wrote:
    To everyone who hated the controls to the first game...........please tell me you honestly tried the game while using the L button for firing instead of A.

I had a hard time at first just like everyone else, but once I realized L could be used, it all just made sense and became much more comfortable on your hands.

That sounds...worse. Holding down the triggers for any length of time is a pain for me, especially while trying to use the d-pad.

Anyway, I liked Nanostray a little, not quite to recommend it on the wiki. But removing the pseudo 3d and the touch controls? Those are my two biggest gripes with the game, and make the sequel a must buy.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The "tilt" this time around doesn't look any worse than say, Captain Skyhawk, Shin'en's own Iridion II or any other solidly vertical shmup.

The only game to really get that very tilted angle right is Axelay. The tilted levels wrap around horizontally so there is no "wall."

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nanostray was okay, but it didn't last long before I put it down. The main game was hard to get into, but once I discovered the challenges, I enjoyed it more. Then, I only played the main game to unlock more challenges. I only got to the second set of planets, though.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I made the mistake of starting the first one in the mode where you have to beat everything all the way through, got through one and a half levels, and promptly put it down after a couple of failures.

I liked it, though, so this looking a lot better only bodes well.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The tilt just looks like the background doing dramatic sweeps. It doesn't appear to affect the actual gameplay at all (same as the camera in Ikaruga, Shikigami no Shiro, etc), which looks far better than the original.
    Einhander wrote:
    I remember the old NanoStray ads that were on a few websites back before it was released. They said "Real gamers play shooters", and I was all like "Fuck you, real gamers play games that don't have tacked-on horseshit control schemes".
    Blame Majesco for that, not Shin'en. Shin'en hated that scheme, and it was revamped for the Japanese release that Majesco had no control over. Additionally, they're self-funding this one specifically so no publishers can force them to cram in shit they don't want, like the touch screen controls in the original.

sethsez on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, coming from someone who never played the first game, those little glowing bubbles around the ship...Were they in the first game? If so, did they work in a similar way to the ones in Gradius V? Because, well, if so...My frothing demand for this game increases!

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Beck wrote:
    So, coming from someone who never played the first game, those little glowing bubbles around the ship...Were they in the first game? If so, did they work in a similar way to the ones in Gradius V? Because, well, if so...My frothing demand for this game increases!
    They were not, so we have no clue. To me it looks a bit more like R-Type-ish bits, but I wouldn't put money on that.

sethsez on
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't buy the first because of the touchscreen controls, which I read were awful. I will get this.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Freezie KO wrote:
    I didn't buy the first because of the touchscreen controls, which I read were awful. I will get this.
    Hatred for it was a bit overstated in my opinion (you just used the touch screen to switch weapons, which you rarely needed to do), but it was needless. If you're interested in the original game but refuse to play it due to the touch screen controls, you might see if you cant rack down the Japanese release which didn't use them.

sethsez on
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sethsez wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Hatred for it was a bit overstated in my opinion (you just used the touch screen to switch weapons, which you rarely needed to do), but it was needless. If you're interested in the original game but refuse to play it due to the touch screen controls, you might see if you cant rack down the Japanese release which didn't use them.

That's pretty cool that the Japanese release didn't have them. Is it an expensive import? Is there any language barrier? Probably not since it's a shooter, but just in case...

I might consider it since '07 looks to be slower than '06 for the DS.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.