As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game-On] WARMACHINE and HORDES Mk II - First VASSAL tournament soon fellow STALKERs!

• ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If we're talking battle boxes here, Erandus, you are not correct. If we are talking Mangled Metal games, you definitely are right, however.

Thats one thing I find so interesting about the game: if you crack open a battle box, you're playing a roughly 15 point game, but if you just build a 15 point force it will play entirely different depending on the makeup of the list.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I have been playing Warmachine MKII since field test, but have yet to play anyone besides my brother in the real world. I have gathered this device called "Vassal" and all of my deliciously dedicated destructive prowess, and now deliver a challenge to you, the PA folk. Really though I am interested in getting some games in on Vassal as there are times of the week when I can't find anyone to play with in person.

Any takers?

Keep in mind that I am terrible.

riven5 on
  • afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    riven5 wrote: »
    So I have been playing Warmachine MKII since field test, but have yet to play anyone besides my brother in the real world. I have gathered this device called "Vassal" and all of my deliciously dedicated destructive prowess, and now deliver a challenge to you, the PA folk. Really though I am interested in getting some games in on Vassal as there are times of the week when I can't find anyone to play with in person.

Any takers?

Keep in mind that I am terrible.

Man, I will be back in the States in a couple weeks, as soon as I am back with a real internet connection I am so down. And I have not played since Escalation, so the being terrible thing is no big deal.

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just shoot me a PM or ask me here and I can pop on whenever.

General Nemo on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to play warmachine before I came to Japan. I'm starting to get a hankering for games and vassal is looking like the best bet. Problem is I left just before MKII released, and didn't bring any books/cards with me. Are the released rules all that different from the field test rules? Could I get away with referencing field test pdfs until I can get my hands on the real deal?

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The field test documents, for the most part, are drastically different from the final rules. Gimme your email via here or PM and I can email you the updated files.

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    That would be most excellent. Thanks for your offer.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got to get a couple normal games in. Played two games at 15 points, one against a local vet who stomped my shit with eKreoss and one against a fellow noob using pSorscha who I violently crushed. This game owns.

Was using this:
    pNemo
    Stormclad
    Stormblades
    Lancer

Might switch out the Stormclad for an Ironclad + Journeyman and see how that rolls. I didn't end up using the extra focus from the Stormblades on the Stormclad except for the first two turns to run with, but I wasn't using all my focus those turns anyway, soooooo

SJ on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I need to figure out a Khador list to try. What is the focus of each caster at say, mangled metal?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited January 2010
    Was just looking through the cards, and something a little bizarre leapt out at me.

Stormguard have Gunfighter.

Of course it makes sense that they actually be able to use sarges special shot, but what?

Now I need to figure out how vassal works.

Chrysis on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Was just looking through the cards, and something a little bizarre leapt out at me.

Stormguard have Gunfighter.

Of course it makes sense that they actually be able to use sarges special shot, but what?

That's the only point. :P I've still yet to use it. 'course, I haven't really used SG as more than a meatshield since Mk2.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, from a mechanics perspective it works perfectly.

It just looks really weird that a unit without any guns is trained to use them in melee :)

I've figured out how to start vassal, and how to put models on the board, but now I'm lost trying to figure out how I'm supposed to do anything else.

Chrysis on
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I need to figure out a Khador list to try. What is the focus of each caster at say, mangled metal?

Vlad is great at Mangled Metal. I mean, just look at his spell card. Do it right now. eVlad is not so much(Troop caster), but high focus, durability, and some decent spells to support warjacks does not exclude him from the realm of a capable MM list.

Butcher is good since he can buff himself and support his jacks for face-smashing action. This carries over somewhat to eButcher, but you miss out on his feat since you have a lot more difficulty getting Rage. Conferred Rage makes for very focus-efficient killing machines but his random focus means you have to think on your toes and be willing to assume the worst. A plus would be that he can wreck warjacks by himself!

Sorscha is good just by virtue of her feat and Boundless Charge, and eSorscha has a neat bond and a useful feat, as well as Boundless Charge.

Irusk is good because of his ability to buff himself, fuck with your movement via Inhospitable Ground, and make one jack uber from Superiority. Unfortunately, his feat only benefits himself in Mangled Metal games. Epic Irusk is surprisingly amazing, despite his delegation as a troop caster. Energizer, Tactical Supremecy and Artifice of Deviation are all great spells, and his feat is awesome for catching those runaway casters who like to hide. He is my choice for Mangled Metal most of the time.

The Old Witch is pretty cool, having good focus, a toolbox of spells and an awesome denial feat, and she comes with a free light! She's also great at the surprise assassination. She's a solid choice but has low warjack points. She is an excellent all comers warcaster.

Karchev suffers from lack of infantry support in larger non-MM game, but in MM it's his game. His battlegroup is fast, tough and did I mention fast? He's very efficient, but learning how to use his efficiency is taxing at times. This guys requires some knowledge of the game and experience with metering out focus in the right amount to the critical jack for the win. He likes warjacks with multiple base melee attacks so that he can take advantage of Unearthly Rage.

Zerkova is another caster that demands a fairly advanced knowledge of the game to play, since she is squishy and has no direct means of fucking up the enemies of the Motherland. Instead you have a toolbox of spells (OMGOSH FORCE PUSH IS SO GOOD) and a denial feat to stop those charges that get in the way of your advance.

General Nemo on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone want to either do a 15 pt MM game or a 35 pt normal game today?

Cynic Jester on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I'm indecisive to what I'm going to play for Resurgance.

I'm thinking Stupid Kaelyssa Backlash Tricks, but it's been ages since I've played her. (Mostly have been playing Ravyn.)

Was thinking of going that way because I think there's going to be a lot of Khador (specifically Butcher), and Backlash doesn't really give a whit about how stupid-high he can crank his ARM and DEF.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited January 2010

Would love to!

General Nemo on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hmm, I really need to get a mic so I can figure out how to play vassal

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hmm, I really need to get a mic so I can figure out how to play vassal

It's not really necessary.

admanb on
    edited January 2010

Would love to!

Let me know when.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2010
    I'm ready any time!

General Nemo on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    trencher-master-gunner.png
    Master gunners are survivors of countless battles and have earned expertise that makes them some of the most valued artillerists in all of Cygnar. These men and women are versed in all the skills of the artilleryman from barrage firing patterns to the use of defilades. They are experts in the complex commands used to coordinate a battery of field guns. Where other armies make use of artillery as support, the master gunners orchestrate their batteries into precision instruments of war.

PIP Code: 31067
    Price: $9.99*
    Model Count: 1
    Packaging: Blister
    Related Products: Trencher Cannon Crew

see317 on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Related Prodcuts: TCG! I hope they make the gun worth using.

Also. Winterguard Riflemen stats and abilities have been spoiled, apparently.

Spd= winterguard
    str=winterguard
    mat=winterguard
    rat=winterguard
    blah...all the same

Rifle
    RNG 14, ROF 1, Pow 10

axe
    same as WG

Unit
    Ranked Attack
    Supressing Fire (order)

...No CRA, apparently. Maybe that's a UA thing.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I'm ready any time!

How about we meet up on Vassal in an hour?

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Spd= winterguard
    str=winterguard
    mat=winterguard
    rat=winterguard
    blah...all the same

Rifle
    RNG 14, ROF 1, Pow 10

axe
    same as WG

Unit
    Ranked Attack
    Supressing Fire (order)

Cost? FA?
    @Cynic: Sure!

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Spd= winterguard
    str=winterguard
    mat=winterguard
    rat=winterguard
    blah...all the same

Rifle
    RNG 14, ROF 1, Pow 10

axe
    same as WG

Unit
    Ranked Attack
    Supressing Fire (order)

*Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzshtt*huh...what? Sorry. I got halfway through those stats and fell asleep. What were we talking about?

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    We were talking about cheap ranged infantry with suppressing fire that benefit from boosted attack rolls from Joe.

General Nemo on
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The new Trencher dude sounds pretty interesting. My guess is that he's sort of like Finn, giving Trencher units and artillery some boosts to their ranged attacks. Which would be awesome. It doesn't hurt that he looks totally grizzled and boss.

Nechriah on
    edited January 2010
    I for one would love to know how the stats were spoiled so far in advance. According to the poster on the PP forums, he "has the card". So, putting aside my skepticism about his claim, where are the spoilers for all the other stuff in store for Khador? Why would he have this one card, but no others?

*edit* The dude is now spoiling the Widowmaker Marksman. I am now putting aside my skepticism and opening up towards full blown DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Apparently the Marksman is as follows:

same as widowmakers except

+1 rat
    stealth

vanar liberator
    same as widowmaker rifle except
    +2 pow

has camo
    sniper
    swift hunter (after killing with normal ranged advance up to 2inches)

leadership widowmakers: when in this models command range widowmakers gain swift hunter

2 points.

Also the WG Rifle Corps are 5/8.

riven5 on
    edited January 2010
    Ask him what the quote on the card is. That oughta throw him off.

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    I really should. I genuinely hope the guy is just making this stuff up, because while I wouldn't mind WG Rifle Corps (Kovnik Joe included, of course), I can't help but think that Khador has a lot of other options for infantry removal. They would be expanding our repertoire to be sure, but for 5/8 I could really go for CRA.

The Marksman on the other hand, if the spoilers are indeed accurate, seems to be lacking something. I don't want to fall in with the standard doom and gloom cycle that is common for new releases in WM/H, but damned if it isn't tempting.

riven5 on
    edited January 2010
    If you find yourself in that way, we will have to exile you to the PP boards :P

However, this dude is probably talking out of his ass.

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    Victory to the motherland and vengeance for Lawinator!
    Vlad takes Nemo's head after suffering heavy casualties.

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    Victory to the motherland and vengeance for Lawinator!
    Vlad takes Nemo's head after suffering heavy casualties.

Pffft, a turn away from winning by killing all your 'jacks. Khador jacks are made of paper.

Cynic Jester on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stats for the Widowmaker solo have been spoiled courtesy of a certain game store owner who released the Mk II cards early.
    Same as Widowmaker, except:
    +1 Rat
    Stealth

Vanar Liberator
    +2 POW from Widowmaker rifle. Same othewise

Camouflage
    Sniper
    Swift Hunter
    Leadership [Widowmakers]: Widowmakers in CMD range gain Swift Hunter

Edit: Aww. Damn it. You guys suck.

I think he has potential. He can make Widowmakers realy hard to catch. Pop them out of a forest, pop a few heads, then slip them back out of LOS.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I like how you went through and fixed his crappy punctuation.

Yet you still got owned.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    Kara's feat got semi-spoiled and the Cygnar forums have been discussing it. It's not quite as ridiculous as, say, Menoth bitching, but it's still pretty bad. Then Mr. Soles shows up.

Funny shit.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    So he's not bullshitting? What in the fuck?

General Nemo on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't get it. :(

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I am trying so hard to like WG Rifle Corps and the Widowmaker Marksman.

I am trying SO HARD.

Maybe...maybe Strakhov will make them awesome! Yeah! They'll be such good additions to the Khadoran arsenal with him! That's got to be it, right?

riven5 on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, so I'm participating in Mk. II slow grow league at the shop I work out. Right now we're doing 15 point games but I'm starting to put together lists for the next round of games at 35 points, so tell me how awful this is:

pNemo (+6)
    -Lancer (6)
    Journeyman (3)
    Gun Mages + UA (8) with a Marshall'd Defender (9)
    Stormblades with UA (8)
    Ironclad (7)

I don't have the Gun Mages yet, they're incoming, but I have everything else. I've also got a full unit of Stormguard, a Squire, and a Hunter on the way and own a Charger and a Sentinel. I'm planning on magnetizing my next plastic jack so it can be either a Defender or a Cyclone.

SJ on