As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Zombie Game/Mod Megathread [NSF56K]

JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Zombie Game/Mod Megathread. This thread was inspired by TychoCelchuuu's Excellent Space Sim Megathread More games will be added to the thread as I get some more time to add them, so just send me a PM if you think a game should be on there, and ill get on it as soon as I have time/am not lazy.

THE GAMES

GjIdAl.gif
Urban Dead is a free MMORPG developed by Kevan Davis, it has been running since 2006 or so. It is one of those deals where you can check in once every day, and actually do stuff. You can play as both a survivor and a zombie.

er6fcl.jpg
You've already heard of Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 they are objective based co-op zombie shooters, there is also a 4v4 versus mode where one team can play as the zombies, they then alternate, scores are based on how well you do as survivor.

abL1rl.jpg

Stubbs the Zombie is actually a very unique game, you play as a zombie in a city which is the 50's vision of the FUTURE!. You can feed on humans, and add them to your ever increasing zombie horde, its not perfect, but its still pretty fun.

tZNRcl.jpg
Zombie Driver appears to be a arcadey-type game where you drive around running over and shooting zombies with car mounted machineguns, I haven't played it, but it seems like it would be a fun time for a little while.

Gs8U8l.jpg
Killing Floor is sort of the opposite of L4D in terms of action co-op zombie shooters, instead of running through the city to get to a safehouse, you are welding doors shut, stockpiling ammo, and setting up fireteams to hold out against the current wave. This was a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 a while ago, but the commercial version is much superior.

KE71vl.jpg
Survival Crisis Z is a neat little game, its a open world sandbox sort of game, you can go around from safehouse to safehouse trading supplies, or you can gather up a bunch of survivors and go on a zombie killing rampage, only to have half your team get infected when 20 zombies burst out of the door you happened to be standing next to.

b84ukl.jpg
Fort Zombie seems like a pretty awesome game. You run through the town gathering equipment, and hole up and wait for rescue. The only problem is, I haven't gotten it to run, and ive heard that is is generally very buggy otherwise. If your going to buy this, I would suggest you wait on a few more patches to come around.

A4e6Rl.jpg
Plants Vs. Zombies is a hilarious tower defense game, featuring, well, Plants Versus Zombies. Barricading your house and installing plant turrets has become a alternative zombie survival plan for me.

THE MODS

hIaO6l.jpg
Zombie Master is a mod where survivors work together to achieve some sort of objective. The twist is that there is one player who is the Zombie Master, he can set off traps and spawn various types of zombies to bring the survivors to their knees, although the interface for it is a bit clunky.
Requires: Half-Life 2

Tkd82l.jpg
Zombie Panic is a mod where most of the players start off as survivors, with one player as the Carrier Zombie. As this zombie kills manses, they convert into regular, less fearsome zombiemans, who can then kill the survivors to create even more zombiemans. The zombies have a spawn limit, so it is possible for the survivors to win.
Requires: Half-Life 2

mehecl.jpg
Zombie Mod for Company of Heros is about as close as we will ever get to a zombie RTS. You have two sides: The Zombies and the Survivors, the survivors are about small elite squads that roam around killing zedheads, the zombies hope to overwhelm them by making 30 zombies a squad.
Requires: Company of Heros

VOyHgl.jpg
28 Days and a Bit 2 is one of the best zombie mods out there, you have multiple infection scenarios all in the open world of Cyrodil.
Requires: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

7Zs8Fl.png
Zombie Apocalypse is a mod that adds over 27,000 zombies to the capital wasteland. Wherever you go, there will be 20 of these guys wrecking shit up.
Requires: Fallout 3

3XKM9l.jpg
Brainbread is a Half Life 1 mod that pits you agianst hordes of zombies, standard co-op fare, however, you have an AI army to help you out, and you can turn into one of the zombies yourself. Full feature list in the spoiler.
Brainbread - The new coop multiplayer experience

An arsenal of over 20 weapons makes sure you stand a chance of surviving against the zombie hordes - even if it's but a small one.

Help your friends to survive - The Zombies work as a team.. you better do the same!

The new GOREgeous-system (tm) allows you to shoot zombies into pieces and implements realistic blood particles - never seen in any hl mod before!

Are you afraid of being killed by a zombie? One thing is worse: becoming one of them! Avoid getting bitten by those bastards.

The Army is your only ally. AI based tanks, helicopters and soldiers will bring great AI against AI fights onto the streets!

6 different character models, each one as human and zombie version!

Lots of maps to explore and survive.

Hundreds of zombies, your friends, a bunch of weapons... Are you ready for Brainbread?
Requires: Half Life 1

GJBSrl.jpg
They Hunger is a excellent zombie story driven single player mod, it gets down the horrific atmosphere very well, and I recommend it to everyone.
Requires: Half Life 1

LwjB5l.jpg
Mortewood Plaza is a up and coming Half Life 2 mod that will feature singleplayer zombie action. From looking at the dev video, you will be able to punch zombies in the face, slice them in half with a katana, burn them with a super soaker flamethrower, and much more.
Will sometime in the glorious future require: Half Life 2

steam_sig.png
Jaramr on

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Off the top of my head:

Games
    Fort Zombie
    Quarantine2019.com

Mod/Game
    Killing Floor

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Island of Dr Ned DLC
    Borderlands

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want a bigger stubbs the zombie game, let me conquer an open world, a sandbox, a city of varying population, something.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There was a neat little mod for the original Half-Life called They Hunger. It was single player and highly regarded for its time. They were working on a source engine version, but apparently it has been canceled.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I want a bigger stubbs the zombie game, let me conquer an open world, a sandbox, a city of varying population, something.

I dream of a fantasy game called "Necromancer" that is an open world Dungeon Keeper inspired zombie takeover game.

Stigma on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nation Red is a pleasant endless shooter with continued support on steam. Lots of achievements for the completionists.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love zombie games. I only found out this addiction recently, but I am taking it day by day, step by step toward victory over the dead.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every night I say a little prayer asking for Dead Rising to be ported to PC. Capcom's been doing it with basically every other franchise it owns, except the one I truly want to play.

Which reminds me that the Resident Evil games could be added to the OP.
    There's also the old school Flesh Feast which I've yet to play.
    And the MIA Dead Island.

Edit:
    Plants vs. Zombies

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, this Oblivion zombie mod... I love Oblivion, I love zombies. Tell me more about it, just how awesome is it?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Survival Crisis Z, but it's a bitch getting it to work on Vista (I ain't :(). Fun as all fuck, sandbox randomly-generated city thing that plays a bit like the Alien/Zombie Shooter games.

Any word about Fort Zombie coming to steam? I want it so bad, but I only trust Steam with digital distribution stuff.

EDIT: 28DAAB is nice, it basically spawns a zombie or squad of zombies that go around attacking folks and infecting them with the virus, which if still present when they die turns them into a zombie as well. Supposedly this shit can get to catastrophic extinction levels, and I've heard a few good stories about players banding together and grabbing as many survivors as they can to hole up somewhere.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zombies/Zombies Ate My Neighbours has been on the Wii Virtual Console for 800 Wii Points, for a few months now. It is vastly-enjoyable 16-bit shooting that features mostly zombies, but also a lot of famous fictional monsters (giant ants, killer dolls etc). Dunno if that's worthy of it being added to the thread

Dunxco on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dead Rising!

Also the upcoming Dead Rising 2!

Although to be honest I'm so done with zombies. They've been overdone and completely run into the ground.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Postal 2: apocalypse weekend had a nice little zombie bit. It was crazy fighting zombies and trying to find the heads and break them to kill the zombie. It was actually a fresh take on zombie combat, IMO.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Any word about Fort Zombie coming to steam? I want it so bad, but I only trust Steam with digital distribution stuff.

While I bit the bullet getting it by Impulse, I asked the same question on their forums:
    http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14883&start=60
    Basicly the jist of it was that their publisher, the people who got them on the rest of the D2D services have gotten their past game Sword of the Stars on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/25860/) so they were in the queue to get FZ on Steam as well. But the reply was second hand from another forum goer, so take it for what you will, still in rumor mill territory until I see otherwise.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Postal 2: apocalypse weekend had a nice little zombie bit. It was crazy fighting zombies and trying to find the heads and break them to kill the zombie. It was actually a fresh take on zombie combat, IMO.

Do you know of any cases where a game requires headshots to kill the zombies? I think it would add to their actual fearsomeness, since most zombies boil down to fighting unarmed people who may or may not have a bad limp.
    OOOOH IMPOSING.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stigma wrote: »

Do you know of any cases where a game requires headshots to kill the zombies? I think it would add to their actual fearsomeness, since most zombies boil down to fighting unarmed people who may or may not have a bad limp.
    OOOOH IMPOSING.

That was the thing about the Tourette's mad cow zombies, they were like standard zombies but survived as long as they had a head, even if you severed it, the zombie kept going as long as he head was whole. Sans a shotgun or sledgehammer (instant headshot ) you had to pump a lot of bullets into them. Ignoring the bad jokes that abound in the game, the last stand type mission at the producers mansion was very L4Dish and quite enjoyable. ESPECIALLY with a machete boomerang! :twisted:

Cutting their head off with a machete on one level and kickingit into oblivion and watching them collapse in mid lunge was quite fun.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if it's OP worthy, but I've sunk some time into burn zombie burn. I'll also second Zombies ate my neighbours. God that game brings back memories.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Who knows when it comes out but The Mortewood Plaza mod for Source looks like it'll be awesome and has a bdfgdzillion weapons, including:
    mw_co_underground0047.jpg
    Jetpacks!
    mw_underground0147.jpg
    RC Planes!
    CauseIveGotABrandNewCombineHarvester.jpg
    This thing!
    mw_co_underground0055.jpg
    And a variety of skateboards.

From the looks of it, the game will be kind of like a first person, multiplayer Dead Rising. Check out the latest video for some bonus gibs.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's No More Room in Hell but let's face facts

That's never coming out

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    are there any zombie survival rpgs?

are these a thing that exists?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pony wrote: »

They fucking should be.

I was playing L4D the other day feeling rather bored, wishing it was a big RPG.

Stigma on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

A game called Fort Zombie exists

But it's pretty shit from what I've heard

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

http://www.doublebearproductions.com/

An independent game studio started by Brian Mitsoda, the guy who did the writing for Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, is making this exact thing. It's still way early in production, but it's supposed to be actual zombie survival, none of this FUCK YEAH LETS SHOOT ZOMBIES WOO bullshit that every big budget game has to do for sales.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You should be more descriptive about each game. Urban Dead has a ton of stories behind it, like the 'historic' last stands in huge malls, the zombie tours and the sheer amount of bitching done by the community.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dead Frontier
    A kinda meh browser zombie mmo, go in the city and get supplies, overhead view, etc etc.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Like, I mean, I think the mindset some developers take to a zombie game is what makes them all screwy action games.

I imagine a sandbox-style zombie survival RPG that really, when you boil down the way it operates, is more like an (extremely deadly) puzzle game.

If a horde of shambling zombies is coming down the street at you, you don't start lining up headshots, you look for gaps in their horde, alleys you could run down, alternate routes and so on, only using up as many bullets or engaging in melee combat as much as absolutely necessary to evade and survive.

So basically, looking at a horde of zombies as a bunch of descending puzzle pieces you need to jostle and get around to get to your goal.

Navigating interiors and stuff is all the same way.

I wish someone would design this game, or that I had any programming skill whatsoever to design such a game.

Pony on
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i would love a procedurally generated zombie survival game that aims for realism

start at home, wake up to a racket from outside, see zombies

do you attempt to board up the house?

stock up on stuff and head out of town?

try and find survivors and lead them to the mall?

complete with hunger, thirst (but if you dont drink from a clean source you can get sick), and zombies only die with brain annihilation

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I totally wish the Stalker dudes would try their hand at a zombie survival FPS. Stalker's unbelievably creepy and immersive as is, now apply that to a hardcore ZSFPS where you have to go into buildings and whatnot to find supplies, not knowing what the fuck you're going to face, with zombie moans and gunfire and the occasional scream being carried on the wind...

Lordy, now I'm all flustered. emot-fappery.gif

EDIT: You know, come to think of it, has Discovery or History or any of the other big channels with an educational bent ever done a special on the what-ifs of a zombie apocalypse? The closest I can even think of something like that is World War Z, but it'd be awesome to get a more mainstream tackling of the subject. They got Life After People, why not Life After Zombies?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I totally wish the Stalker dudes would try their hand at a zombie survival FPS. Stalker's unbelievably creepy and immersive as is, now apply that to a hardcore ZSFPS where you have to go into buildings and whatnot to find supplies, not knowing what the fuck you're going to face, with zombie moans and gunfire and the occasional scream being carried on the wind...

that'd be a thing!

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, a full on Zombie RPG would probably be the one Zombie game announcement that I'd be interested in. Something that's equal parts survival and scavenging for resources and interacting with other survivors. Less House of the Dead, more Walking Dead.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, it's should be a criminal offense to suggest a serious full-blown zombie survival game to be something other than an FPS. Not that it can't be done (the crew who did UFO: Aftershock trying their hand at a ZSRPG would be cool) but it completily passes up the glorious golden opprotunety to strip a player of almost every advantage a game usually gives him and then use that to scare him shitless.

Unless you're using the absolute broadest sense of RPG as is feasable and imaginable that transcends most mechanics, in which case carry on.

EDIT: Way more FPS than RPG, though. Asides from lacking level tracking and whatnot, you could argue that Doom is an FPS and an RPG as well.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, it's should be a criminal offense to suggest a serious full-blown zombie survival game to be something other than an FPS. Not that it can't be done (the crew who did UFO: Aftershock trying their hand at a ZSRPG would be cool) but it completily passes up the glorious golden opprotunety to strip a player of almost every advantage a game usually gives him and then use that to scare him shitless.

Unless you're using the absolute broadest sense of RPG as is feasable and imaginable that transcends most mechanics, in which case carry on.

Borderlands is both a FPS game and a RPG.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

EDIT: Way more FPS than RPG, though. Asides from lacking level tracking and whatnot, you could argue that Doom is an FPS and an RPG as well.

Why? If you want to shoot zombies then there's about 20 bajillion games you can accomplish that with. An RPG that happens to be set in a zombie apocalypse would be far more interesting to me.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Yeah, a full on Zombie RPG would probably be the one Zombie game announcement that I'd be interested in. Something that's equal parts survival and scavenging for resources and interacting with other survivors. Less House of the Dead, more Walking Dead.

http://www.zooptek.net/drupal/?q=node/15

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but those are action zombie games, they don't count as far as this discussion is concerned. We're talking the hardcore headshots-or-complete-bodily-destruction scavenge-to-survive fortify-to-hold-out-against-the-massed-hordes model, which nobody has done and only a few folks've come anywhere near close.

EDIT: And the whole FPS thing is more about immersion and danger and shit than the RAWR HIGH TESTOSTERONE dealie that most FPS zombie games run with. It's a whole lot harder to be scared to the point of soiling yourself when BigMcLargeHuge is mowing down hordes of the undead with his +1 minigun of manliness.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but those are action zombie games, they don't count as far as this discussion is concerned. We're talking the hardcore headshots-or-complete-bodily-destruction scavenge-to-survive fortify-to-hold-out-against-the-massed-hordes model, which nobody has done and only a few folks've come anywhere near close.

Which ignores the part of zombie fiction that games continue to ignore. That the interactions between the survivors, the personality dynamics, leadership tension and psychological issues have always been the most interesting part of any good zombie apocalypse movie/book/comic/whatever.

That's what I want in a Zombie game. Where you have to worry as much about whether George is acting strangely and hiding something from you as you are how many bullets you have left.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You could totally do that in an FPS. Look at VTM. I'm just saying that I think that the best way to experience a serious hardcore zombie apocalypse is from the eyes and ears of the single entity you control, not some omniscient eye-in-the-sky.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EDIT: 28DAAB is nice, it basically spawns a zombie or squad of zombies that go around attacking folks and infecting them with the virus, which if still present when they die turns them into a zombie as well. Supposedly this shit can get to catastrophic extinction levels, and I've heard a few good stories about players banding together and grabbing as many survivors as they can to hole up somewhere.

That mod is tons of fun. I usually end up in Anvil, with several NPCs, trying desperately to hold off the zombie horde from crossing the bridge to the Keep. If you play that mod I suggest also using the Open Cities mod. You also have several options in regards to how the zombie plague spreads. You can have the zombies die easy, but one bite infects the person. You can also set how long it takes before they turn. Something like right away to 24 (in game) hours. I tend to go with hard zombies and instant conversion. Makes things crazy as hell.

EDIT: You know, come to think of it, has Discovery or History or any of the other big channels with an educational bent ever done a special on the what-ifs of a zombie apocalypse? The closest I can even think of something like that is World War Z, but it'd be awesome to get a more mainstream tackling of the subject. They got Life After People, why not Life After Zombies?

I remember an interview (or some such) with Max Brooks were he said what he found most amusing about doing his research for the book is that most of the people he interviewed (doctors, cops, soldiers, federal agents, survivalists, ect) had given at least some thought on what they would do in a zombie apocalypse.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Fort1tude wrote: »
    i would love a procedurally generated zombie survival game that aims for realism

start at home, wake up to a racket from outside, see zombies

do you attempt to board up the house?

stock up on stuff and head out of town?

try and find survivors and lead them to the mall?

complete with hunger, thirst (but if you dont drink from a clean source you can get sick), and zombies only die with brain annihilation

So...Wurm Online but with guns and zombies....I LIKE IT!:^:

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You could totally do that in an FPS. Look at VTM. I'm just saying that I think that the best way to experience a serious hardcore zombie apocalypse is from the eyes and ears of the single entity you control, not some omniscient eye-in-the-sky.

I never specified what form of RPG, just that it should have a greater emphasis on character interaction, to which you replied all zombie games should be first person shooters. So I'm not sure what your argument is or even what you're arguing against.

-SPI- on