As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Martial's [chat]

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I feel like playing something, but I don't know what.

Cinders on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hope you get a teacher that makes you do some poetry. I love writing different forms... goddamn.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cinders wrote: »

Hide the Salami? :winky:

Thomamelas on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvkyHCU7XU

It's hard to listen to Great Big Sea and be sad at the same time.

I'm only 1 minute in and I have to say thank you for giving me a new band to get into.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    pods what do you think of pynchon

From what I've read, I love him. The way he deals with paranoia in The Crying of Lot 49 totally blew my mind, and Gravity's Rainbow is, without a doubt, one of the best novels of the century. He really opened up my mind for what contemporary fiction is: moreso than narrative, fiction's role is to create a world of information. Whether that information is true is not as important as whether or not it is coherent. Whereas modernism loved fragmentation, postmodernism LOVES coherence -- it just doesn't have to correspond with reality.

i tried reading 49 and I couldn't do it. i found every scene painful. his bizarre ideas and characters were pleasant but the i found the prose itself just really jarring and unreadable. i physically do not want to read the book, and i feel bad about it.

Any specific examples?

Also, reading IJ on a kindle seems downright wrong.

I can't give you any passages, because the book is in the bedroom and to wake my girlfriend would result in death.

however, I put the book down after the scene where Metzger and Oedipa sleep together. i can't tell you what it was, but i was physically repulsed by the writing. it wasn't actually so much the prose as the narrative sequence of events, which was so powerfully...arbitrary?

it irritated me in the same way that someone saying "hey i had this dream, here's what happened" irritates me. nobody cares about your dreams.

Evil Multifarious on
  • msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

League of Legends!

msmya on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Poetry is one of the few things I ever enjoyed writing when I was younger. People said it was good but hell if I will share it with anyone now. Of course I haven't written any in years.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    msmya wrote: »
    haha, I like Linkin Park, haven't listened to them in awhile though..

Lady GaGa is where it's at

I just cannot get into her music. >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I'm only 1 minute in and I have to say thank you for giving me a new band to get into.

I'm going to go see them live in March with the girl. Skippy and Passer are fans too.

Thomamelas on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

League of Legends!

Most PC games rape my computer.

Cinders on
    edited January 2010

how is Great Big Sea a "new band?" how has anyone not heard them? i am astonished.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2010

League of Legends!

this is pretty good, tarannon showed me some shit. we'll have to play soon.

Variable on
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

*High five* I figured out she sounds like Groove Coverage without the chicks cool voice. But yeah, I can't get into her at all either.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man there's no way I'm taking a creative writing class this semester I'm probably already going to end up writing over a hundred pages of essays this semester.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh man there's no way I'm taking a creative writing class this semester I'm probably already going to end up writing over a hundred pages of essays this semester.

oh yeah? well I dropped out of college, quisy, how about that?

?????????????

Variable on
    edited January 2010
    how is Great Big Sea a "new band?" how has anyone not heard them? i am astonished.

New they aren't, but I also don't recall them getting any air time in the states.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2010
    [u rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvkyHCU7XU[/url]

I'm going to go see them live in March with the girl. Skippy and Passer are fans too.

Damn, either they're not going to California this tour or I missed them.

And EM: Chances are if a band is popular from later than 1990, I don't know their stuff.

Raiden333 on
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I should just drink more and watch Cosmos.

Cinders on
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

oh yeah? well I dropped out of college, quisy, how about that?

?????????????

That's a lot of question marks!

Inquisitor on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »

*High five* I figured out she sounds like Groove Coverage without the chicks cool voice. But yeah, I can't get into her at all either.

But at least Groove Coverage tends to use good songs. The only version of Poker Face I can stand is Christopher Walken's.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm gonna make a Valentine's cake and it will be pink and I will write "fffffffff" on it in icing.

So It Goes on
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I should just drink more and watch Cosmos.

Cinders, I approve of this course of action.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

League of Legends!

Nooooooo Heroes of Newerth!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    Ahh...my pandora station is getting itself more like my actual music collection, aka multiple personality syndrome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a Valentine's cake and it will be pink and I will write "fffffffff" on it in icing.

The letters in white, right?

That way they'd be in #FFFFFF

Raiden333 on
    edited January 2010

I don't know if I should laugh or weep openly.

Inquisitor on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Booooooooooo

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010

From what I've read, I love him. The way he deals with paranoia in The Crying of Lot 49 totally blew my mind, and Gravity's Rainbow is, without a doubt, one of the best novels of the century. He really opened up my mind for what contemporary fiction is: moreso than narrative, fiction's role is to create a world of information. Whether that information is true is not as important as whether or not it is coherent. Whereas modernism loved fragmentation, postmodernism LOVES coherence -- it just doesn't have to correspond with reality.

I don't think I would call Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon even vaguely coherent.

Whatever it is that postmodernism adores, it ain't coherence. It's probably, like, rejection of objective reality or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Folk music is an abomination.

Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon. I'm about a hundred pages in, and very confused. Is this normal?

Thanatos on
    edited January 2010
    I am not one bit ashamed of that joke. I stand by it.

Raiden333 on
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon. I'm about a hundred pages in, and very confused. Is this normal?

Yup, welcome to Neil Stephenson.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

I don't think I would call Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon even vaguely coherent.

Whatever it is that postmodernism adores, it ain't coherence. It's probably, like, rejection of objective reality or something.

The character's ideologies in IJ are extremely coherent. That's why Pynchon loves paranoia -- because the characters often hold completely logical belief systems which are nevertheless bizarre and at odds with reality. Pynchon's narrative technique is to show this not by having a coherent or incoherent narrative, but merely to present information.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited January 2010
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Kafka is one of the greatest authors in human history

Yes.

The Trial is the only book I've read where as soon as I finished it, I started reading it again without another book in between.

I enjoyed reading it but quit halfway through. I guess I saw that it was pretty much treading the same spiral and didn't really see the point in continuing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited January 2010
    also, Amerika was ridiculous

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited January 2010

The character's ideologies in IJ are extremely coherent. That's why Pynchon loves paranoia -- because the characters often hold completely logical belief systems which are nevertheless bizarre and at odds with reality. Pynchon's narrative technique is to show this not by having a coherent or incoherent narrative, but merely to present information.

so what is the broader implication of this for contemporary fiction, if the presentation of coherent systems of information is indeed the task of fiction? in your view? does it have to do with intersubjectivity? a critique of reason?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2010

Well, I have not read Crying, so I can't speak to it, but Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon both employed intentionally occlusive language and writing techniques. I know he wrote the fucker on quadrile paper, but it does not contain the lucidity and fact-presenting of an engineering report.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so what is the broader implication of this for contemporary fiction, if the presentation of coherent systems of information is indeed the task of fiction? in your view? does it have to do with intersubjectivity? a critique of reason?

For the last few months or so, I've been toying with writing a novel told via a wiki.

I think that is extremely informative of my views of contemporary fiction.

@will: usually, that is done because the information itself is hermeneutical and contextualized; i.e., the information is inseparable from its historical means of transmission.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited January 2010
    Wow, XKCD got a chuckle out of me for the first time in awhile.

Raiden333 on
This discussion has been closed.