As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yo, 1 Vs. 100 that's a very small fraction.

PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Social Entropy++
1vs100logo.jpg

So I like playing 1 Vs 100. The Live shows are neat, and all the other shows they have are cool, too, even though I don't know about a bunch of stuff they ask.

One time, the question was "What do artists use to support their paintings while they make them?" and because I am impatient and didn't finish reading the answers I hit the button to answer "Easter" instead of "Easel" and then I felt bad but I'm OK now.

Does anybody wanna play tonight?

Perrsun on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I meant to do this last friday when Gabe and Tycho were on it, but forgot.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Where do they play this? If it is one of your console things I am already unable to do it. You people and your video games

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiz wrote: »
    Where do they play this? If it is one of your console things I am already unable to do it. You people and your video games

It's an XBox Live shindig.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fiz wrote: »

It's an XBox Live shindig.

Of all the silly goose humbug

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why would easter have been a decent answer for that question

Kovak on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is there a live one of these tonight?

Langly on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kovak wrote: »
    why would easter have been a decent answer for that question

well you get bonus points for answering quickly

so you have easel, right?

and easel and easter both share the first three letters

so if people are going for the speed answer and the first thing they see is eas then they're gonna go with that because they're automatically assuming it's gonna be easel.

tricksters

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember when I first played this as one of the crowd with some friends. At first we thought were one of the 100 since the avatar was in the crowd. I guess if you play it enough then you actually get to play and win MS points?

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, there is a live one tonight, starts in 8 minutes.

And yeah, if you're good enough you can get MS money and Live Arcade games.

If anybody wants to play tonight my gamertag is also Perrsun.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One of the questions tonight was "What is the name of a flightless extinct bird?"

And the first answer was "Dido" and I didn't hit it, but the 3 other people playing with me did, and I was proud of myself.

Also a few nights ago one of the questions was "Where does the Amazon River flow through?" The possible answers were "Phoenix, Arizona" "South America" and "Middle-Earth." ... It wasn't a tricky question but I liked it anyway.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i've been playing the shit out of this recently

i love trivia

satansfingers on
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually managed to get into the mob once, but then the One blew the first question and I was all like :cry:

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Also a few nights ago one of the questions was "Where does the Amazon River flow through?" The possible answers were "Phoenix, Arizona" "South America" and "Middle-Earth." ... It wasn't a tricky question but I liked it anyway.

heehee

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you need a gold account to play 1 vs 100 right?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    you need a gold account to play 1 vs 100 right?

Right, but as long as you have that the game is free.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i don't have gold

oh well

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I played in the live episode tonight and did ok, then I played in the extended game afterward and got into the top 100.

I just don't see how people put in instant answers, every time. It's not even a targeted trivia! It's just general crap.

The worst is all the questions about Survivor.

Edit: The best question in the live game was

"What is the main gas in human flatulance"

X) obvious wrong answer A) Methane B) Nitrogen

Every time I hear about farts it is involved with methane (pigs, cows, etc), so I locked that in feeling all cocky. It was Nitrogen. The one lost, and the mob (with 50 left) all lost. The woman was like "well would you look at that? Everyone loses!"

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rane gold is like 7 dollars a month.

and just think

if you win 1 v 100, it would pay for itself! So just bank on that and you should be fine.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my proudest moment was seeing my name at #5 through 20something questions once

of course then i promptly missed some stupid fucking question and plummeted

satansfingers on
  • Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There were too many questions about Survivor.

tastypastry on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Rane gold is like 7 dollars a month.

and just think

if you win 1 v 100, it would pay for itself! So just bank on that and you should be fine.

i need those 7 dollars

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I played in the live episode tonight and did ok, then I played in the extended game afterward and got into the top 100.

I just don't see how people put in instant answers, every time. It's not even a targeted trivia! It's just general crap.

The worst is all the questions about Survivor.

Edit: The best question in the live game was

"What is the main gas in human flatulance"

X) obvious wrong answer A) Methane B) Nitrogen

Every time I hear about farts it is involved with methane (pigs, cows, etc), so I locked that in feeling all cocky. It was Nitrogen. The one lost, and the mob (with 50 left) all lost. The woman was like "well would you look at that? Everyone loses!"

My dad says butane is a bastard gas.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    i got to level 47 in about the first 2 weeks

me and nap both won in the mob on the same night because we awesome

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    at first i thought it was dumb that it randomly puts you in a four-person group, but damned if i don't get obscenely competitive with those complete strangers

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    can you do it with non random people

I wanna demolish you stans

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes you can, you form a party of however many before you enter

edit: well, up to four that is.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    at first i thought it was dumb that it randomly puts you in a four-person group, but damned if i don't get obscenely competitive with those complete strangers

i take comfort in knowing i am 100% always the highest leveled person in the group

my streak is 26 questions right

they ask so many dumbass mls questions though and it pisses me off

3 more levels till i can do the michael jackson dance

i have the carlton

and let me tell ye

it is prolific

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i only started playing like a week or two ago, so i'm always the lowest leveled person in my group

and then i double their scores

awwww yeah

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i will form up a group for this

the prize i got was the maw

it was a really fun game, but i wish i would have won on ikaruga night >:C

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    does the mob win the game or is it the top scorers in the crowd?

i didn't really pay any attention the one time i showed up for the live show since it was rez and i already have that

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    does the mob win the game or is it the top scorers in the crowd?

i didn't really pay any attention the one time i showed up for the live show since it was rez and i already have that

well, if enough people in the mob lose, you get a game + points, but you almost always get a game

i did not know this at the time, but that game is the exact same game that the top 3 in the mob get which is gayy

maw is fun though guys. i liked it a lot.

okay also i didn't beat the one

he got disconnected

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was on last night for a bit. Beat the one a few times and got a couple of the 90% correct icons. I just wish I could get into the mob or something. I'm guessing I need to play more since I just started playing this in the middle of the week so I can try and get some high scores.

A thought occured to me though. It always seems to be the same folks getting the top 10 spots and I've noticed some of the questions are repeated in the general trivia every few nights. Is it possible that those people just play so much that they know all the answers because of seeing them before so they just spam their buttons for speed bonus?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure that's part of it.

And the mob (and one) get chosen each round by either selecting from highest weekly scores, season scores, or the highest round scores. You just never know which one.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I was on last night for a bit. Beat the one a few times and got a couple of the 90% correct icons. I just wish I could get into the mob or something. I'm guessing I need to play more since I just started playing this in the middle of the week so I can try and get some high scores.

A thought occured to me though. It always seems to be the same folks getting the top 10 spots and I've noticed some of the questions are repeated in the general trivia every few nights. Is it possible that those people just play so much that they know all the answers because of seeing them before so they just spam their buttons for speed bonus?

yes.
    they recycle questions like CRAZY. if you play for a week, you should be able to demolish anyone

also im on and playing this right now. but i do not have my mic so there's that

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was once part of the mob in the Austrian televised version of 1 vs. 100. I even won 200 €. I can't remember what I did with the money.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It was awful up there in these ranks. The studio lights made me sweat heavily. And yet they decided to show multiple close-ups of me on TV.

Platy on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How do the Live Shows work?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's a very complicated procedure. I was at the studio for nine, maybe ten or more hours. In my case, they recorded three shows. The mob consisted of 150 or 200 people (I don't remember the exact number) and each member of the mob was assigned to two shows. I was assigned to show 1 and 2, others were assigned to 1 and 3 and so on. People were shuffled around after the end of a show to give the illusion of a fully fresh mob.

We were encouraged to act as wildly as possible. They told us our only chance to win was to communicate with the one guy in the middle and put him under pressure by shouting and encouraging him to continue. I don't know how much of this holds true.

There were many dropouts because of the long duration. There were multiple takes of everything and numerous technical problems because the show and the studio were pretty fresh when I attended. I finally took the place of a dropout in show 3, so I took part in all three shows. Standing up there and pushing buttons doesn't seem like a lot of work, but somehow it was very exhausting. Those damn studio lights may have something to do with that.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe some more technical details:
    The mob and the one have different screens on which they can read their answers. As a member of the mob, you have for small buttons on your desk and you need to push them in a very short timeframe. The one has the advantage of being able to think about his answer, whereas the mob must answer almost immediately. If you don't answer fast enough, you're out.

The lights behind you also give off a lot of heat and you aren't allowed to lean against them because this would cause the electronics to fail. So you have to stand the entire show. You aren't allowed to drink when the camera's focusing on you. I think I remember one of the assistants giving us a sign when it was okay to drink or to eat some of the Dextro Energy which they had handed out.

Among the assistants was a guy whose job it was to get us into the right mood before each show. He communicated with the mob, played some games with us and invited people to join a dance choreography.

Platy on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want to do this but during the week I am a weeny and am getting ready for bed when they start up.

VisionOfClarity on