As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

• Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    bakatrinh wrote: »
    Anybody else was psyched when they first landed on omega and enter the night club for the first time? When you stand outside you can hear the muffled music and then as the door opens the music plays louder, you see people hanging around and dancing and drinking. They really set the mood right and made it very immersive

Yes. Unbelievable. The most incredible atmosphere i've seen in a game to-date hands down. Destroys Stalker. It's seriously like playing a movie.

Urian on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So when I started up the game earlier today and went to import my Shep, for some reason, I see my Shep at level 49, 59, and 60, but for some reason, I can only choose the 49 one (360 btw). I fucking know I beat the game with my 59 (the 60 I didn't, I just got her to 60 and stopped). I'm just wondering why that is.

When it shows the multiple chars to import, am I assuming you can choose any of them? Cause I wasn't able to.

Oh, and Captain Bailey
    Fucking Tigh holy shit. When I heard him, I was like "that is fucking awesome". If I hear Olmos somewhere in the game, I might bust a nut.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Much like the first game, the strongest moments are in the most focused and deliberately crafted set-pieces. The weakest are the side dealings

Dsmart on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not recognizing my ME save game. I put my Mass Effect folder back in <documents>\BioWare, and I see all my old save files in there, but it's not showing me my character as a choice to import. Could this be because the folder wasn't there the first time I checked?

(edit) Nevermind, you have to run the launcher thing and press Configure and pick your save directory.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    It's not recognizing my ME save game. I put my Mass Effect folder back in <documents>\BioWare, and I see all my old save files in there, but it's not showing me my character as a choice to import. Could this be because the folder wasn't there the first time I checked?

Did you use the configure tool to select the folder?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty cool game so far. I was blown away by the opening scene. I swear I wanted to cry. I'm just now going to get the doctor.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm... so, wait for Zaeed or start playing now? Decisions, decisions

I kind of miss the soothing Star-Treky music on the intro screen

Pretty long prologue before you would get a chance to recruit him. Might as well play while it downloads.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Anybody know when the Dr. Pepper dlc is gonna go up? I got my 3 caps just sitting here waiting.

28th according to the support email i got from Dr.pepper

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    I just got to omega and I can certifiably say this is the blade runner of gaming. Also, this is an insanely cool shot, not a spoiler at all, just an image of an early on conversation on omega:
    masseffect2.jpg

I mean come on, a GAME that has images like that happening in-game on the fly? It's absurd. I love this so much.

This was the coolest motherfucking thing, especially after walking in from the rest of Omega, which is so Blade Runner I can hardly even contain my squeels of girlish delight

It looks great, it feels awesome, and the best part is that (small spoiler relating to that image)
    you initiated that shot by getting all up in that batarian's face and just being the biggest fucking badass around

All the conversation options, renegade, paragon, interrupt and otherwise, all seem to be way more badass and awesome this time around. Even paragons get to do awesome shit sometimes! It's fucking fantastic!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Played through the first couple hours tonight, up through my first meeting with an old friend from ME1.

The opening scene is so incredibly epic. First 10 minute spoiler:
    Walking through the exposed area of the Normandy reminded me of some of the best parts of Dead Space.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So when I started up the game earlier today and went to import my Shep, for some reason, I see my Shep at level 49, 59, and 60, but for some reason, I can only choose the 49 one (360 btw). I fucking know I beat the game with my 59 (the 60 I didn't, I just got her to 60 and stopped). I'm just wondering why that is.

When it shows the multiple chars to import, am I assuming you can choose any of them? Cause I wasn't able to.

People are going crazy over this issue on the Bioware forums. The temporary solution seems to be to load up your ME1 game save just before the final boss fight with the character you want to import, finish off the game, then swap in ME2 and load it up, which apparently solves the problem.

My copy of ME2 isn't in yet so I can't confirm if this works or if I'm even in the same boat, but that's what the Bioware forums folks are saying. And they are ANGRY about it. I'd be curious to hear if others are having the same problems.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LCDXX wrote: »
    When are you supposed to be able to access Zaeed in-game? (I mean, once he's downloaded and such... where/when do you go get him?)
    Once you have him downloaded and installed, you'll find him on Omega. He's right near the entrance. Can't miss him.

How far into the game is this? More than a few hours?
    Once you get access to the Galaxy Map you have free reign to gather a crew in any order you want. I went to Omega first, so I was only about 2 hours in, but you can go there whenever you want. There are several quests you can do first. I have no reason to suspect you wouldn't be able to return there after your initial visit, either.
    What if I already went to Omega? Do you think if I install, leave Omega and come back, he'll show up?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dr. Worm wrote: »

People are going crazy over this issue on the Bioware forums. The temporary solution seems to be to load up your ME1 game save just before the final boss fight with the character you want to import, finish off the game, then swap in ME2 and load it up, which apparently solves the problem.

My copy of ME2 isn't in yet so I can't confirm if this works or if I'm even in the same boat, but that's what the Bioware forums folks are saying. And they are ANGRY about it. I'd be curious to hear if others are having the same problems.

It's no big deal. It just would be nice to start at level 5, instead of 2. I did have the rich achievement, so I was still able to get that nice little bonus.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The ammo system though. Maybe it's just having to get used to having ammo in an FPS. But for the most part, I'm running out of about 2 guns worth of ammo every fight. Somehow though the ammo drops are balancing it out. But fuck, it really blows only having 10 sniper shots, then be forced to use the pistol, only to run out of THAT in the same fight. It's just really stupid when you have no more ammo to take down a guy's shields and armor... because you wasted all your ammo on the previous guy with shields and armor!

Squadmates have infinite ammo. And are pretty good at attacking whom you say you want attacked. I generally saved my ammo for fast approaching bad asses that were advancing on my position, and instead relied at fast recharging biotic/tech powers. Of course if one is playing as a soldier - well yea. You're boned.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man either I'm really impatient or this game is installing very slowly and my dvd drive is dying!!!

AUGH!!!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, i'm just about to start, but i can't decide between Adept or Vanguard for the first playthrough. Anyone that's played a bit want to give me some incite?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's no big deal. It just would be nice to start at level 5, instead of 2. I did have the rich achievement, so I was still able to get that nice little bonus.

Something to check, and no, this isnt an obnoxious question: are you using the thumbstick to try to select profiles? If so try the D-pad; some of the Bioware forum folks were talking about that.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    H*R wrote: »
    Alright, i'm just about to start, but i can't decide between Adept or Vanguard for the first playthrough. Anyone that's played a bit want to give me some incite?

Adept has far more utility than a Vanguard - of course as an Adept, you are going to be largely useless against shielded enemies (this doesn't mean you cant target an enemy next to a shielded baddie, and use a power with an AOE effect on it).

ED! on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LCDXX wrote: »
    When are you supposed to be able to access Zaeed in-game? (I mean, once he's downloaded and such... where/when do you go get him?)
    Once you have him downloaded and installed, you'll find him on Omega. He's right near the entrance. Can't miss him.

How far into the game is this? More than a few hours?
    Once you get access to the Galaxy Map you have free reign to gather a crew in any order you want. I went to Omega first, so I was only about 2 hours in, but you can go there whenever you want. There are several quests you can do first. I have no reason to suspect you wouldn't be able to return there after your initial visit, either.
    What if I already went to Omega? Do you think if I install, leave Omega and come back, he'll show up?

Well that d/led faster than I thought, and so I answered my own question. Yes, it worked fine.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit some of the character quests are awesome. Some of them are just good, but a few of them are totally awesome in unexpected ways.

Still pretty annoyed that I can't see my face during conversations if I opt for the most intelligent decision gameplay-wise (since no helmet provides nothing, but each helmet helps you in some way or another), and that I can't even change armor without going all the way back to the ship.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @ shep "you are acting like a pussy"

<< shep's eyes narrow >>

lol

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so its still very hard to make a pretty non-Vanderloo Shepard... curse you DA FOR SPOILING ME!

:( At least custom characters look more natural this time around.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Something to check, and no, this isnt an obnoxious question: are you using the thumbstick to try to select profiles? If so try the D-pad; some of the Bioware forum folks were talking about that.

You have got to be kidding me. I was using the thumbstick. If it turns out to be the d-pad, ugh. Well, I just got off of playing for about 8 hours straight, so I'm not gonna redo it all. For my next playthrough though I'll do it (if it works, I'll check after work tomorrow).

Speaking of work, I'll have to endure 8 hours to play again.

Oh, and playing as an Adept is so satisfying. Jacob pulls, and I throw them. Sing then shockwave. God I rarely have to use ammo. My mind is my weapon :)

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, kind of annoying going helmetless means you lose out on the item bonus now.

Also, ammo is annoying me some so far. My shotty only has 15 shots right now? Ugh.

Also also, kind of weird that ME2 is missing the eye color of my ME1 Shepard. I imported him, but wanted to change some stuff, make him a little older looking, so I had to make a whole new face, and the eye color wasn't in the options. But if I stuck with the imported face, he still had it. Just a little something I noticed.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't understand why the specialized weapons have so little ammo for them. Having to run around with a machine pistol has not been fun

Dsmart on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    boy this game is buggy as all hell.

Cerberus network not working [that been fixed yet?]

Cinematics going wacky, I've had my people flying around glitching in the background during convos.

Certain triggers for some missions are bugged and require numerous mission restarts.

and now, I'm deep into a mission, and my Shepard just floated up into the sky about 3000 feet up and is just sitting there, Meaning I'm going to have to restart this hard as hell mission just to get past the bug.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mordin just made me love him so much.
    "Kirrahe. Good captain. Got things done with limited resources. Bit of a cloaca though. Rousing speaches. 'Hold The Line.'"
    <3

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is shockwave a valid replacement for Push?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For my ME1 playthrough I unlocked the sniper achievement so I could specialize in snipers with my adept. Will this be available for me if I use my save game, or will I have to unlock the achievement all over again? Does it even work like this in ME2?

goggles on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Miranda / Jack sidequest spoiler + question:
    How much paragon do you need to set things straight with Miranda after the fight with Jack over the facility? I'm currently just over 60, and the option is still greyed out...

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    the conversation options, renegade, paragon, interrupt and otherwise, all seem to be way more badass and awesome this time around. Even paragons get to do awesome shit sometimes! It's fucking fantastic!

its so badass whenever you choose the option to swing your gun around and ask them if they really want to mess with you

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    goggles wrote: »
    For my ME1 playthrough I unlocked the sniper achievement so I could specialize in snipers with my adept. Will this be available for me if I use my save game, or will I have to unlock the achievement all over again? Does it even work like this in ME2?

Won't be available to you, and no apparently it works differently.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys I thought I would give this a shot here first considering it IS the Mass Effect 2 thread...

Once I get to the ME2 start screen, or about after 2 minutes of playing, the graphics go horribly blurry and parts of the screen just flicker and it kind of makes the game unplayable for me. I was just curious if anyone else was having these problems.

Edit: I should also mention that this blurriness effects the whole dashboard and other games too.

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys I thought I would give this a shot here first considering it IS the Mass Effect 2 thread...

Once I get to the ME2 start screen, or about after 2 minutes of playing, the graphics go horribly blurry and parts of the screen just flicker and it kind of makes the game unplayable for me. I was just curious if anyone else was having these problems.

Edit: I should also mention that this blurriness effects the whole dashboard and other games too.

I hope you have a box to ship your Xbox in.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only engineer underwhelmed with the Attack version of the combat drone? I was expecting something tougher that dealt much more damage, but it seems pretty pathetic overall.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I hope you have a box to ship your Xbox in.

I feared that it would come to that.

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one upset that the cd drive to install the game spins up about every five minutes during which the install will jump up a decent percentage before it quits spinning for another five minutes while the installer makes no progress!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Those achievement updates are irritating as all hell, I wish you could turn them off.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    H*R wrote: »
    Is shockwave a valid replacement for Push?

I would rather have Shockwave than Push. Sure you can push enemies off ledges, but those situations are few and far between. Shockwave is a travelling AOE (that can also fly through the air). Shockwave all the way.

ED! on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You have got to be kidding me. I was using the thumbstick. If it turns out to be the d-pad, ugh. Well, I just got off of playing for about 8 hours straight, so I'm not gonna redo it all. For my next playthrough though I'll do it (if it works, I'll check after work tomorrow).

Speaking of work, I'll have to endure 8 hours to play again.

Oh, and playing as an Adept is so satisfying. Jacob pulls, and I throw them. Sing then shockwave. God I rarely have to use ammo. My mind is my weapon :)

You were stuck on the import screen and couldn't move the cursor? Yeah... you're going to smack yourself, because it was the dpad.

People are getting messed up on that? I was confused for about 3 seconds on why the stick was doing nothing, then I just naturally tried the dpad. Kinda silly, but I can't belive people would get hung up on it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."