As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] You Choose!

Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am,I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
I've never done a let's play before. I miss Klyka's LPs...Klyka do more! Or do some DoW commentary or something...Moving on!

As I said, never done one before and am trying to decide what to do. So, I will now be taking many suggestions for what to do!

If possible, I should like to spend no/little money on a game (I have a few already...) and PC would be easiest to record or screen cap on without further investment. I've considered doing a LP Blood Bowl team and recording the games, but I'm not sure how exciting that would be for everyone...
A game that won't take too long would be best, as I am currently in school and working full time, so time to play is limited. No Mass Effect/Dragon Age/yaddayadda. Maybe something to complete in like 10-20 hours?
In that light, let me know and the LP shall began when a subject has been named!

BEGIN!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
Custom Special on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do you have a list of games you own that you'd be willing to LP? That would help us narrow our suggestions down.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm at school at the moment, but when I get home I'll throw up what I've got on PC currently. I'll have to dig and see if I can find my Freedom Force disc...
    Also, I have goozex, so that can make games free for me, but it may take more time to get started.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My recommendation is choose a game you really enjoy, because organizing an LP can be a lot of work. Taking suggestions from other people and doing a blind run of something CAN turn out well, but it's not recommended.

Lesser known games are a good choice, since people will watch out of curiosity. If you're doing a well known game, you better have an interesting way of playing it.

A game that the audience can participate in in some way is also a good choice.

Also really think to yourself whether or not you can keep a game interesting on your own. If not, maybe find other people for joint commentary.

Overall, no one can really tell you what game to play. That's just not really how this works. As long as you choose something you're passionate about, it should be okay. Just... don't choose something like Portal.

And you can hear Klyka's commentary in my GTA4 LP currently if you need your Klyka fix.

Adus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You Lets Play the game you want to play.

Henroid on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Psychonauts? I'm playing through that on PC for the first time thanks to steam and their awesome deals.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Considering Duke Nukem Forever still won't die, go on GoG and pick up a Duke Nukem game. Manhattan Project or 3D. Throw a pipe bomb at a pig cop and write a witty caption for us.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Just... don't choose something like I Want to be the Guy the Game

Fixed.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For the two games I LP'd, it took me about twice as long to record, edit, and publish the games as it did to actually play through them. Keep that in mind. Make sure your schedule can handle a slow, consistent effort like that without too many interruptions.

Making an LP is rewarding but it's the only time I've ever played a video game that felt like work.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm gonna have to add something to our LP archive thread. Unless you're like, one of the people REALLY well known around here for doing Lets Plays and are liked for it, don't make a thread asking us to tell you what we want you to LP. Because we don't know what you bring to the table.

This is how your undertone in the thread reads to me. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying... pick something you know and like for your first, show us what you've got. Do more if you think you did a good job.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the rules of thumb for LP's are stuff like

-do the LP for yourself, not for fanwankery.
    -give the game about 3-6 months after its release date to LP it.
    -know what you are doing
    -if you don't know what you are doing, you better find a way to make it interesting to watch

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MDK has six levels, which take about an hour each. It's $10 on Steam, $5 if you buy it bundled with the sequel.

Wait, scratch that. Arx has been on hiatus for 8 months, maybe I could whip this out in an afternoon.

guar on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have currently:
    Company of Heroes with expansions
    Plants vs Zombies
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
    Dawn of War 2
    World of Goo
    Blood Bowl

Freedom Force is apparently hiding or just flat out flew the coop.
    I'm considering it an interesting idea to do co-op L4D2 as a LP with different PA folk as the three guest voices running through each map. Or a Dawn of War 2 campaign co-op in the same vein. Good idea? Bad idea? This is really what I'm leaning towards right now...just need to find some people to do it with.

Thanks, Adus, for the suggestions. I did want to do something with participation, such as an RPG or building game that allows for naming things or characters.

Henroid, thanks for the...constructive criticism? I know I'm not known for LPs, or much of anything on the forums. I'm new to this and wonder if I even can do them, which is why I'm asking for suggestions. I just find them interesting and usually enjoy the ones I watch.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would not recommend L4D as a LP. There is so much that can and will go wrong (because that is the nature of that beast). I personally have recorded a number of playthroughs of that game and wouldn't consider any of them a LP. I tend to think of an LP as something that provides an experiance you wouldn't get just from playing the game. Recording 4 people playing through l4d is the exact experance everyone gets when they playthough that game. Its incredibly fun, don't get me wrong, but I have recorded a large number of play throughs of l4d and i wouldn't consider giving any of them the title of a [Lets Play]

That said, if you can find Freedom Force, I think that sounds like it could be the best game to LP out of the bunch you've posted.

DoW or CoH could be interesting if you do the screenshot method and add personality to the characters though the narration.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    May I recommend a freeware game by the name of Iji?

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

ijizoom.gif

It's an amazing Metroidvania with stat allocation, and a great story.

Multiple endings, too.

I would, but SMT's going to tie me up for... well, a long dang time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blood Bowl should work well.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well as long as you're not trying to LP L4D single player like someone at SA wanted to do recently, I think it would have potential to be fun with the right people. Not everyone owns the game or really is interested in playing it themselves but they may watch it instead. Still, Nap has a point in that it wouldn't really be a unique experience for those who do have the game. Unless the commentary was incredibly hilarious, but I think in games intense as that, it would be sort of hard to focus on saying anything other than "Tank!"

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Multiplayer games aren't exactly the environment for Lets Plays, unless you're coordinating something for like Secret of Mana (I'm planning this one; nobody here can have it!). The more open ended the multiplayer game, as in there's no direction really, the less thrilling it's gonna be. May as well link an official trailer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, too bad game trailers these days don't actually show any gameplay.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Yeah, too bad game trailers these days don't actually show any gameplay.

MEGA BURN

Henroid on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force sounds like a great idea to LP. I actually thought about that when I saw it cheap on Steam but I already beat it years ago and I kinda only do "fresh" LPs.

So I'd recommend FF. But mostly it's about what YOU want to do. You will always find an audience for any game you choose,but it's not about the viewers,it's foremost about you.

I also sorted out my PC trouble (still way too much trouble at work though,meh) so I will continue LPing Overlord 2 this weekend. Sorry for keeping you waiting :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys should do No One Lives Forever 2. It's still awesome to this day.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Co-signed. The guard banter is priceless. The hardest part about doing a Let's Play for No One Lives Forever 2 would be staying as consistently witty as the game is.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force! Do custom superheroes after PA posters. Starting with Smaug6 and his dragon fire ball power!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Terrible news! Freedom Force via steam doesn't run on my vista...
    Anyone know if 7 can run in a compatibility mode that would work? I haven't upgraded yet, but this may be the straw...

Custom Special on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force is working nicely on my new install of 7 Pro 32-bit.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm...I guess I'll be talking to my MS friend about acquiring me a copy of 7 then...

Custom Special on
  • Options
    DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force would be a great LP actually.

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Freedom Force would be a great LP actually.

I agree, what with the creating and naming and suchness. Now I just have to get 7 to be able to run it...weak sauce. But still, I shall work on getting it.

edit: Hope on the horizon! Apparently 3rd Reich may work with Vista. If so, there shall be game!

Custom Special on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Never really got into the second one. I loved the first one, though. Awesome game.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Terrible news! Freedom Force via steam doesn't run on my vista...
    Anyone know if 7 can run in a compatibility mode that would work? I haven't upgraded yet, but this may be the straw...

Yeah, I just played FF (and X-com) yesterday on my new Windows 7 64 bit without a hitch.

FF is a love or hate game, FYI. Some people think its great. Others (I'd say MOST others) think it's one of the most boring games ever made with terrible (TERRIBLE!) controls.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Never really got into the second one. I loved the first one, though. Awesome game.

It has ninjas in a trailer park during a tornado, an exploding cat decoy and mimes. Seriously, what more could you ask for?

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

There's a pretty good LP of the first one at ye olde archive, I think.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty damn good. I'm watching it now, and even though most of the videos have been deleted, there are still some around. The game is pretty funny, as is the silent LPer.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There's a pretty good LP of the first one at ye olde archive, I think.

Nice, I'll check it out.

Waka Laka on