As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rant thread

celandinecelandine Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Social Entropy++
Complain about what's getting your goat.

My own pet peeve:
Why do nice people so often try to come across as selfish jerks?

I normally see this from my male friends. The one I'm thinking of is a good guy, I've known him for years, he'd give you the shirt off his back. But he's always saying things like "Man, I'm totally selfish, I really don't care about anybody else, fuck the poor, fuck everyone." He'll talk about how much he likes to use girls for sex, or how he'd like to be a supreme dictator and just torture people all the time, and it's all just nonsense. And I know a lot of guys who talk like this.

I seriously don't get it. Why do you need to pretend to be a jerk? Is it just that uncool to be perceived to be nice and sympathetic?

Why do a bunch of perfectly decent, ordinary engineers and pre-meds talk like they're frickin' Genghis Khan, raping and pillaging? (Yeah, i can hear the retort: "Genghis Khan was frickin sweet, bro!") It's so stupid.

I write about math here:
http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
celandine on

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, what do you expect when you have popular culture telling you constantly that nice guys always place last, etc.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah

nice guys finish last

and they usually warn you before they do

the wook on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    maybe he thinks the jerks get the women, misunderstanding that being a jerk != being strong and self confident, which is what I guess most people look for in a partner

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have one specific friend right now that is really pissing me off and every time I try to talk to her about why she is making me mad she tries to turn it around and make me the bad guy. I'm really, really tired of it and I called her today to try to talk to her alone but she didn't answer and I know she's purposely avoiding me because she always just avoids problems in the hope they'll go away.

I am not happy.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    yeah

nice guys finish last

*rimshot*

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    insecurity

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    nice guys really have no place in modern culture indeed, you don't see the genteel charming types getting all the girls/money/fame

rap and hip/hop is a good example of posturing as a bad motherfucker when you are probably nice as all get out outside of the recording studio.

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah

nice guys finish last

You are on a roll, mon vieux.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice guys don't finish last.

Doormats finish last.

I'm a nice guy, and I'm on the fucking podium.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my sister just fucked our family cell phone bill the hell up with hells of overages

i'm getting to pay for part of it just because my parents can't afford it right now

radical

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Nice guys finish last" is generally used by assholes to justify being assholes and inept losers to claim that they're inept losers because they're nice guys

...I think that's been posted about four times by now

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do Jesuits just ignore NO SOLICITORS signs out of habit or something

Do I need a sign detailing exactly who needs to stay the hell away from my door

Ledneh on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    "Nice guys finish last" is generally used by assholes to justify being assholes and inept losers to claim that they're inept losers because they're nice guys

making this post about inept losers deeply ironical
    sick burn

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The other thing is --
    and I make the caveat that I know this isn't true of everyone, so don't get offended --

but there really seem to be a lot of people who are Republicans for the express reason that it more effectively allows them to say things that sound selfish and douchebaggy.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Do Jesuits just ignore NO SOLICITORS signs out of habit or something

Do I need a sign detailing exactly who needs to stay the hell away from my door

You just need to create a logical paradox on your NO SOLICITORS sign. Then their brains will enter a feedback loop and explode.

That's Jesuits, right? I'm thinking of the right thing here?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    The other thing is --
    and I make the caveat that I know this isn't true of everyone, so don't get offended --

but there really seem to be a lot of people who are Republicans for the express reason that it more effectively allows them to say things that sound selfish and douchebaggy.
    this is a really awkward way to phrase this

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to drop a class, and when I go to the appropriate service online "registration & schedule changes", it says that registration is closed and check with the registrar's webpage for registration dates, when all I want is to drop a class. So when I go to drop a class on the registrar's site, it directs me to go to "registration & schedule changes".

Very frustrating.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am trying to work on this piece I wrote as a favor to the current editors of the review I used to edit, and some of their suggestions are dumb and it's frustrating me.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

making this post about inept losers deeply ironical
    sick burn

Send this burn home to bed and make sure it gets lots water, cause it is fucking sick, yo!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mexicans

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I used to have a neighbour who was a Jehova's witness

He had a "no visitors except by prior arrangement" sign

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do these guys actually talk of raping and pillaging?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

A guy on my parent's street had a sign up that said "NO TURNAROUND IN DRIVEWAY"

that was like he was fuckin' asking for it.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to drop a class, and when I go to the appropriate service online "registration & schedule changes", it says that registration is closed and check with the registrar's webpage for registration dates, when all I want is to drop a class. So when I go to drop a class on the registrar's site, it directs me to go to "registration & schedule changes".

Very frustrating.

walk into the registrar's office and throw your eye at them

the wook on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What a dick

Sometimes you gotta turn around

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Very frustrating.

walk into the registrar's office and throw your eye at them

I played beer pong the other night with a girl who was missing a finger.

We were the ultimate cripple team.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously, go to the office. It's harder (though still possible) for them to be blatantly unhelpful to your face.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

it would be better if the sign said "DER KOMMISSAR'S IN TOWN"

the wook on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shit, I'm not really annoyed at anything right now. Not anything I can't change anyway.

I mean, I skimmed a CAD newspost that made me want to stab children, but I knew what I was getting into.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to deal with it on Monday during the time when I would have class because I don't need to go any longer.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know how exactly to word this.. But sometimes I meet a person, and I feel immensely uneasy around them. I feel as if their laughs are fake, their supposed motives not the real ones, and I can't stand being in the same room as them. While no one else seems to have a problem, and logically I shouldn't, either.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I guess I don't have any major problems at the moment that aren't my fault

I've been dealing with a problem for a couple years now though, and it stresses my life in the worst fucking ways, so I will extend this warning to all:

Do not dip your fucking pen in the company ink, no matter how harmless an idea it seems at the time

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what does that metaphor mean? did you take something you shouldn't have, or did you take someone you shouldn't have?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know how exactly to word this.. But sometimes I meet a person, and I feel immensely uneasy around them. I feel as if their laughs are fake, their supposed motives not the real ones, and I can't stand being in the same room as them. While no one else seems to have a problem, and logically I shouldn't, either.
    oh absolutely this is a thing

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

they're psychopaths

the wook on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I feel this way about most everyone.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what does that metaphor mean? did you take something you shouldn't have, or did you take someone you shouldn't have?

the latter

the wook on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Basically my life is awesome right now and I'm looking at a recipe for some delicious sounding sandwiches.

Thus making it even more awesome.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Oh, I've had this.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

they're psychopaths

I think this was the plot to a house episode ..
    but I do remember feeling like that around a very few select people, and I haven't forgotten one of them for some reason
    is this really a thing? or am I the one misinterpreting body language? or can it be both?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.