As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Marriage] And now we play the waiting game.

• Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good news for couples in D.C. and Maryland:
    Same-sex couples can start applying for marriage licenses Wednesday in Washington.

Supporters say couples planned to line up before the city's marriage bureau opened at 8:30 a.m., and officials at the courthouse were expecting 200 or more people.

At least 16 couples were waiting at 7:15 a.m. inside the city's Moultrie courthouse, which houses the marriage bureau and is just blocks from the U.S. Capitol.

Sinjoyla Townsend, 41, and her partner of 12 years, Angelisa Young, 47, claimed the first spot in line just after 6 a.m.

"It's like waking up Christmas morning," Young said.

Washington will be the sixth place in the nation where gay marriages can take place. Because of a mandatory waiting period, however, couples won't actually be able to marry in the District of Columbia until March 9. Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont currently issue licenses to same-sex couples.

To deal with the expected crowd Wednesday, the marriage bureau will bring in temporary employees to help its regular staff, courthouse spokeswoman Leah Gurowitz said.

"Everybody who wants a marriage license is going to get one. It may take a little longer, but they will get their license," Gurowitz said.

Link to article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100303/ap_on_re_us/us_dc_gay_marriage

Kinda makes me hopeful for the rest of the states, since with the Slavery issue, once it got banned in D.C., it seemed almost inevitable it would be banned everywhere else.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, some of the comments there nearly made my brain melt and slide out my ears.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thus why you don't read comments on sites like that.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As much as I'm hopeful for this, I have the distinct feeling that the bigots will somehow win again.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As much as I'm hopeful for this, I have the distinct feeling that the bigots will somehow win again.

They spend more and more money to win increasingly narrow victories, look at how close the Maine Referendum was.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, also: Fuck the DC Catholic Church

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes, in their eyes it's better to stop helping children than allow a gay to raise them. It's shit like that which inspired Jay and Brian to make the gayfamilyvalues videos I link in the OP.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes, in their eyes it's better to stop helping children than allow a gay to raise them. It's shit like that which inspired Jay and Brian to make the gayfamilyvalues videos I link in the OP.

You know there could be a more benign and possibly beneficial reason for the halting of the child-care services.

They are just taking a proactive stance and removing the temptation of priests to rape the children.

Its for their own good! Because, really in the grand scheme of things, whats worse? Rape OR leaving a child unattended for 8 hours at home while mommy and daddy are at work? I think we all know the answer to that.

On topic: You'd think more states would jump on board the passing of pro-same-sex marriage legislation, if for the income alone. I mean from the article I linked and from other times pro-same-sex legislation has passed there have been crowds of hundreds of celebrating peoples, both gay and straight.

Think of the shit one could sell: T-shirts, memorabilia, soft drinks, food, professional photo taking, hats, animal shelters could set up booths for "get married and adopt a puppy!", car washes, pony rides for the kids, mustache rides for the adults (j/k..or am I?), and lets not even talk about the moneys directly for the govt. In the article I linked I think it said that registering was 35 bucks and to actually get married it is an extra 10? Jack that shit up just before and get like 100 for registration and 30 for marriage. There goes the state debt problem right there!

"Gay Marriage: Its this or a mandatory lottery, folks."

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aibyn wrote: »

Can't we have both? Legal gay marriage, and every year, people who don't like legal gay marriage can all meet at the town square and take a slip of paper.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Can't we have both? Legal gay marriage, and every year, people who don't like legal gay marriage can all meet at the town square and take a slip of paper.

I like your idea friend. May I subscribe to your newsletter?

Aibyn on

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hooray for DC!

Evander on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The loser has to give up all of their polyester, forever.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like the winner to me.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel like talking about adoption some more. I've already mentioned Jay and Brian over at GayFamilyValues. Something new is happening with their family.
    Some of you may be wondering why blogging didn't happen yesterday. Still more of you may be aware that we have been considering bringing our 8 month old neice into our home on a foster basis while her mother goes through a drug treatment program. What you may not know is that she also has two boys ages 2 and 4 that have been in a group home the last few days while all of us "grown ups" figure out how we can best provide for them. Well... all three kids are coming to us, beginning with the boys tommorow.

They are taking in three kids on behalf of their extended family to keep them from ending up with strangers. Apparently they're the only ones in the family willing to do this, and they already have two adopted kids of their own, so this will make five. No idea how long it will last, but the kids are already in the foster system and are terrified. (read the whole blog entry I linked above)

And there are still a large number of states where they wouldn't even have the option of adopting or fostering kids. Federal repeal of DOMA can't come fast enough.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

In the long run, yes, but you have no idea how wedded 'phobes are to their tackiness.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mythago wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »

In the long run, yes, but you have no idea how wedded 'phobes are to their tackiness.

heh

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I feel like talking about adoption some more. I've already mentioned Jay and Brian over at GayFamilyValues. Something new is happening with their family.
    Some of you may be wondering why blogging didn't happen yesterday. Still more of you may be aware that we have been considering bringing our 8 month old neice into our home on a foster basis while her mother goes through a drug treatment program. What you may not know is that she also has two boys ages 2 and 4 that have been in a group home the last few days while all of us "grown ups" figure out how we can best provide for them. Well... all three kids are coming to us, beginning with the boys tommorow.

They are taking in three kids on behalf of their extended family to keep them from ending up with strangers. Apparently they're the only ones in the family willing to do this, and they already have two adopted kids of their own, so this will make five. No idea how long it will last, but the kids are already in the foster system and are terrified. (read the whole blog entry I linked above)

And there are still a large number of states where they wouldn't even have the option of adopting or fostering kids. Federal repeal of DOMA can't come fast enough.

Good on them. I spent a bit of time in foster care as a kid, and it sucked pretty hard. Eventually we were able to go stay with an aunt, which was a relief. Getting separated from your parents and then your siblings is the worst feeling. :(

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whenever somebody starts quoting Leviticus in any serious manner, I immediately think to the West Wing Bartlet Gives A Religious Bitchslap

iguanacus on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Whenever somebody starts quoting Leviticus in any serious manner, I immediately think to the West Wing Bartlet Gives A Religious Bitchslap

:^: I never watched that show. I'm beginning to regret that.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Whenever somebody starts quoting Leviticus in any serious manner, I immediately think to the West Wing: [video of win]

I like how the lady sits there looking very uncomfortable, as though she realises she's been beaten. That doesn't happen very often with real bible thumpers, sadly.

"The bible says that shellfish are abominations. Eaten any oysters lately?"
    "SHELLFISH ARE NATURAL, UNLIKE FAGGOTS."

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    "The bible says that shellfish are abominations. Eaten any oysters lately?"
    "SHELLFISH ARE NATURAL, UNLIKE FAGGOTS."

But... but gay penguins!

Won't somebody think of the gay penguins?!

Totally off topic bonus:
    So I Wikipedia'd Tango, knowing she had something to do with gay penguins, but had forgotten what. People should not be allowed to put up pictures with captions like that. It is a tad bit ridiculous. Like, we need pictures! Get one of something sort of related!

Edit: Holy shit, I didn't realize that Tango was a lesbian penguin. Raised by gay penguins. That is awesome.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, how do I make a youtube video lime?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Edit: Holy shit, I didn't realize that Tango was a lesbian penguin. Raised by gay penguins. That is awesome.

Gasp! She was TURNED lesbian by her gay parents!

She should have been raised by her natural, heterosexual parents who probably would have killed her.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Penguins ain't natural. Dey was man-made like da Incredible Hulk.

It's in da Bible. Noah didn't have no penguins wit him on da Ark, so dey ain't natural.

Tach on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tach wrote: »

It's in da Bible. Noah didn't have no penguins wit him on da Ark, so dey ain't natural.

Oh shit, penguins can swim - all the evil penguins didn't have to get on the ark, they just faffed about with all the evil ducks!

(6:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdmG-TRxzE&feature=PlayList&p=299FF77536DC7FE2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Oh shit, penguins can swim - all the evil penguins didn't have to get on the ark, they just faffed about with all the evil ducks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdmG-TRxzE&feature=PlayList&p=299FF77536DC7FE2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3[/ur]
    I'm not able to see Youtube videos- is that Eddie Izzard?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

Seconded. Might just have to start keeping an eye on the box sets on Amazon, because that was pretty damned awesome right there.

But sadly, yes, the disconnect in reality usually seems to just make the cognitive dissonance that much more apparent as they often simply become louder and less rational.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdmG-TRxzE&feature=PlayList&p=299FF77536DC7FE2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3[/ur]
    I'm not able to see Youtube videos- is that Eddie Izzard?

Yup. Tach's quote is from The State, though.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Seconded. Might just have to start keeping an eye on the box sets on Amazon, because that was pretty damned awesome right there.

But sadly, yes, the disconnect in reality usually seems to just make the cognitive dissonance that much more apparent as they often simply become louder and less rational.

The first 4 seasons of West Wing are some great tv. Unfortunately after the fourth season or so the show takes a dramatic (imo) downturn with the departure of Sorkin. It just gets progressively darker and more cynical, and some of the characters changed pretty abruptly. They kind of make up for it in the final season, but for my money the first 4 seasons are where it's at.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forar wrote: »

The first 4 seasons of West Wing are some great tv. Unfortunately after the fourth season or so the show takes a dramatic (imo) downturn with the departure of Sorkin. It just gets progressively darker and more cynical, and some of the characters changed pretty abruptly. They kind of make up for it in the final season, but for my money the first 4 seasons are where it's at.

Yeah, I lost interest a few episodes into Season 5. I should just jump ahead to the last season, I hear it picks up again.

Also, this is one of the funnier FG sendups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIzgXcmMA8w

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The penguins thing doesn't work with 'phobes because their central tenet is Gay Sex, Ew. Therefore anything that contradicts it can be discarded, even if it contradicts something they said five seconds ago.

PHOBE: Homosexuality is unnatural.

YOU: Lolwhut? It happens all the time in the natural world, viz. penguins.

PHOBE: Just because animals do something doesn't mean it's OK for humans to do it.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/03/entering_the_larry_craig_pantheon.php?ref=mp

Has this been discussed yet?
    It's no good for a family values Republican to get picked up on a DUI. But substantially worse to get picked up for a DUI after leaving a gay nightclub with an unidentified man in a state vehicle.

That's the sorry state that befell California state Senator Roy Ashburn (R-Bakersfield) early Wednesday.

In better days Ashburn, a fierce opponent of gay rights, was fighting marriage equality and organizing anti-gay marriage rallies as part of his "Traditional Family Values" campaign.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/03/entering_the_larry_craig_pantheon.php?ref=mp

It's no good for a family values Republican to get picked up on a DUI. But substantially worse to get picked up for a DUI after leaving a gay nightclub with an unidentified man in a state vehicle.

That's the sorry state that befell California state Senator Roy Ashburn (R-Bakersfield) early Wednesday.

In better days Ashburn, a fierce opponent of gay rights, was fighting marriage equality and organizing anti-gay marriage rallies as part of his "Traditional Family Values" campaign.

Whats that quote, the one about a dead girl and a live boy?

iguanacus on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    heh... oopsie.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Only little people should pay heed to traditional family values. State senators are exempt because they're so much more clever than a common citizen.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This reminds me of a recent, similar case with a Northern Irish politician. First she claimed that homosexuality is comparable to child molestation and all homos need is a little psychiatric help... then she got caught having an extra-marital affair with a teenager some 40 years younger than herself and suffered a mental breakdown.

It's almost a shame that the teenager in question was an adult male; an underage female would have been delicious icing on the hypocrisy cake. At least she had the decency to make her cake perfectly delicious all on its own.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This reminds me of a recent, similar case with a Northern Irish politician. First she claimed that homosexuality is comparable to child molestation and all homos need is a little psychiatric help... then she got caught having an extra-marital affair with a teenager some 40 years younger than herself and suffered a mental breakdown.

It's almost a shame that the teenager in question was an adult male; an underage female would have been delicious icing on the hypocrisy cake. At least she had the decency to make her cake perfectly delicious all on its own.

"She came under fire again on Thursday when she stated that it was the government’s job to enforce God’s law."

Remind me again - under God's law, what do we do to people who commit adultery?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Obviously he was just doing some under the cover research.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Obviously he was just doing some under the cover research.

Under the covers provided limited data, further testing was conducted in the bathroom, on the living room floor and all over the kitchen.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.