As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let Satan Into Your Body: Tattoo Thread

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought of getting the green mario mushroom as well... You know, because of the extra life thing.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    why not just get a shirt or hat with a green 1up mushroom on, then you are not committing yourself to something (semi)permanent which you may come to regret

Beasteh on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    why not just get a shirt or hat with a green 1up mushroom on, then you are not committing yourself to something (semi)permanent which you may come to regret

Because life isn't about minimizing regret?

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man if I'm getting a tattoo or sleeve of a fish it ain't gonna be no god damn koi fish.

Gonna be a trout with "yummy" underneath it.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Because I grew up in such a way as I was largely isolated from other kids due to necessity.

Video games, by and large, were my only real friends. You probably went out and played tag or baseball or some shit.

Some of us didn't have that luxury. Video games, for us, became much more important and meaningful then they are to most people.

Where you see "pop culture" I see "The people I grew up with"

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    all of my tattoos are half jokes

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    you may notice I am also posting on this board, which is the forum of a webcomic focusing largely on video games!

I am not exactly an outsider here, I identify with this place and indeed hold the same opinion that video games are a lot more important and meaningful to us than most people

I grew up playing master system/snes/genesis/game boy/n64/PC/PSX/PS2 etc etc with my family and friends,

I doubt I will ever get a tattoo about the games though! that is just my opinion!

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i think you are missing the point of tattoos in general

basically what you are saying here is 'why get a tattoo of something meaningful to you when there are less permanent ways of remembering it?' in a thread devoted to tattoos

if someone has put any thought into their tattoo, then they wont regret it later on even if their views on that tattoo's subject change

it is still a method to mark an important time/thing in your life in an interesting and personal way. the whole point of a tattoo is that it isn't easily removed/destroyed/forgotten

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well, you could keep your stupid opinion to your silly goose

I mean, this is the tattoo thread, not the fashion thread

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mysst, when are you getting the bomb done?

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    welp,

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    after I move in with the girlfriend and my time stops being spread out so thin. i'm gonna do a consult first, and since I've been thinking about it I'm kinda worried it might not look right on my skin

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    probably should have clarified my earlier post cause i know there's a bunch of dudes on here with videogame tattoos

if your tattoo is personal to you it's personal to you, regardless of subject matter

but a lot of people who get tattoos of videogames or music album covers or whatever are not thinking it through

thus why i said "probably", not "definitely"

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's always fun when other people choose to get indignant over things I choose to put on my body.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I gotta say, sleeve tattoos are some of the neatest. They can be shown off while still wearing clothing or covered up if necessary. People seem to put a lot of thought and effort into a large composition too.

Face/neck/hand tattoos on the other hand are something I've never seen look good.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking about a sleeve that was a stage from a 2d game, you know how they get mapped out for strategy guides?

Like an awesome stage from something, or like a big donkey kong screen or something

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I was thinking about a sleeve that was a stage from a 2d game, you know how they get mapped out for strategy guides?

Like an awesome stage from something, or like a big donkey kong screen or something

The gold corridor from Metroid. Hell all of any of the worlds from metroid. Do one on each limb.

EDIT: Or the first stage from Kid Icarus.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The gold corridor from Metroid. Hell all of any of the worlds from metroid. Do one on each limb.

EDIT: Or the first stage from Kid Icarus.

Perhaps a giant Dr.Mario Bottle

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That's an interesting idea but what stages actually look good when completely laid out? Most of them look kind of odd.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    It's always fun when other people choose to get indignant over things I choose to put on my body.

I'm pretty sure no one's getting indignant, just making fun of

and I'm pretty damn certain you also mock people that wear/do things that you think are stupid

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    a lot of people who get tattoos of videogames or music album covers or whatever are not thinking it through
    Is this statement a result of personal experience, or an assumption? I know that it is commonly thought that people who get tattoos are not "thinking it through", but very few of the people that I have met with a tattoo have regrets about their decision (and most of those regrets are due to the quality of the artist).

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    iplaybassiplaybass Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to really want sleaves but I decided I'd prefer a collection of individual tattoos.

I stll don't have a single tattoo though. Maybe it's time.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Where the crap have you been IPB?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am going to get this

calvin_and_hobbes_hugging_comics_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_p.jpg

and make sure nobody sees it because d'aww.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    iplaybass wrote: »
    I used to really want sleaves but I decided I'd prefer a collection of individual tattoos.

I occasionally work with a tiny little lady with a PhD and full sleeves, her introduction to people usually involves flexing her bicep to make the skeletons dance

It's awesome

Usagi on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the most secret tattoo

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gafoto wrote: »

Kansas.

Actually I've been kinda busy with shit. I had some spare
    time at work today so I thought I'd see what's shaking.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

and I'm pretty damn certain you also mock people that wear/do things that you think are stupid

I wasn't really referring to anyone in this thread, just a general remark of people I've dealt with regarding my choices in tattoos (and piercings). Also you would be right about the latter comment, but it's actually something I've tried to refrain from as often as possible once I started doing things like getting tattoos!

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Kansas.

Ugh, I have to drive through Kansas on my way out to Utah next week. Kansas is the worst state. Sorry.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

I occasionally work with a tiny little lady with a PhD and full sleeves, her introduction to people usually involves flexing her bicep to make the skeletons dance

It's awesome

that does sound cool. I just decided that rather than have two large images I'd want a collection of smaller ones.

For my first tattoo I want the classic "mom" heart with my mother's name, bithday and the day she passed away. After that I don't know. Something to do with clockwork, probably.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been meaning for years to get the words NO FATE tattooed on me somewhere
    dunno if I want them in plain text or sorta fake-etched or what
    or even where, probably on my chest or a shoulderblade

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Kansas.

Ugh, I have to drive through Kansas on my way out to Utah next week. Kansas is the worst state. Sorry.

Eh. It's where I grew up. And I like it better than Nevada or Utah.

Well, things are going better for me here than they did in Nevada or Utah anyway.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That's an interesting idea but what stages actually look good when completely laid out? Most of them look kind of odd.

Your link is forbidden to me

But I figure, I dunno, Mega Man or Contra or something?

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I wasn't really referring to anyone in this thread, just a general remark of people I've dealt with regarding my choices in tattoos (and piercings). Also you would be right about the latter comment, but it's actually something I've tried to refrain from as often as possible once I started doing things like getting tattoos!

fair enough
    and all I'm really saying is that there are people in here on both extremes either assuming why someone got a terrible tattoo (as opposed to just having the personal opinion that it looks stupid) or conversely assuming the motivation for someone criticizing what they wear

bottom line though is if you get a publicly visible tattoo, accept the fact that you're inviting people to express their opinion of it good or bad
    if you can't deal with that, don't get a tattoo (this is not directed at you, I ain't saying you can't deal)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Kansas.

You are going to Utah and you're ragging on Kansas? Glass houses, dear sir.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The worst state I've been to is still Indiana. Mind you I have not been to Kansas or Utah.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The worst state I've been to is still Indiana. Mind you I have not been to Kansas or Utah.

I have been to all three and I think you are right. Indiana is the Worst Place.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Take a drive through scenic Nevada sometime.

Or, as I like to call it, America's ashtray.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Utah has beautiful scenery and is a great place to go if you love the outdoors. Culturally though, ugh.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Utah has beautiful scenery and is a great place to go if you love the outdoors. Culturally though, ugh.

Which is why if you do like that kind of shit, you go to Colorado.

Fun fact: Colorado's liquor laws are nearly as insanely archaic as Utah's! But not quite.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
This discussion has been closed.