As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sci Fi] Xenofringe - Dying in Space on Minimum Wage.

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Critical Failures
THE XENOFRINGE is the loose border that divides the established systems of CORE SPACE from the unknown contents of DARKSPACE. Life on the Fringe is a hazardous affair, where the frontiers of civilization meet vast, mysterious space. This is where you make your living.

MoonBase01.jpeg

I'm currently working on a Sci Fi RPG called Xenofringe. I've only carried out very basic tests of the system and am about ready to step it up to a full playtest. I have a few players lined up for a playtest, but would like a second bank of 3 players or so to run a second playtest with. If you've already agreed to play this you don't need to agree again :)

Xenofringe has a simple core but tactical combat and a wealth of equipment and character options. For those familiar with The Adventurer's Tale, another of my games, it's built from the same core. Combat errs on the side of gritty rather than cinematic.

The game will be in the CF IRC channel (see my sig) some time after April 1st, as that's when my schedule opens up. I'll be off work at that time so will be pretty flexible in my play times, but really it's going to be starting some time between 12midday and 9pm GMT.

Game Info:

FRINGE JOBS, NO REFERENCE REQUIRED, SHORT TERM CONTRACTS AVAILABLE
HAGAN-REYNS APPLIED SCIENCE - MACRE 4 SUBSYSTEM

HARS needs hard working, reliable workers to fill vacancies on its roaming research facility on the Lott moon near Macre 4. No references are required but a short interview and briefing will be carried out on Kensgate Station near Macre 4.

Security Personnel: Shifts monitoring site entrance, interior cameras, inspections of other contracted staff and general labour to make up hours. Staff will be given access to the facility's armoury but may bring their own equipment in addition.
Support Labour and Operations: Operating basic vehicles and machinery. Moving cargo and maintaining facility's roaming capabilities. To be trained on the job if unfamiliar, at a 10% salary reduction.
Research Assistant: Monitoring of research and general assisting of the facility's research staff. Position requires familiarity with basic science concepts, which will be tested in interview. This position also requires a memory buffer to be installed and removed upon completion of the contract, which will remove any sensitive information gained within the facility.

Pay will be 150CR on completion of a one month contract. Contract extension will be discussed upon completion of the first month.

Disclaimer: The Lott Roaming Facility provides all staff with basic protective suits and has an armoury for emergencies but contractors may bring their own weapons and armour, which must be stored safely in the facility's storage. If a contractor is unable to collect their fee at the end of their term Hagan-Reyns Applied Science retains the fee. Contractors will be employed through RX Sourcing, an independent payroll company, who maintain all responsibility for contractor wellbeing.

Your character will have a reason to apply for one of the contracts above. Outside of that you're free to have whatever background you want. The setting is open to additions that suit your character, such as home-planets and factions they have had dealings with, but they must be human.

nor207.jpg

All interested should grab a shuttle to Kensgate Station immediately.

SUPERSUGA on

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You had me at 'poor in space'.

I'm reading the thing.

e~ do you know which day(s) of the week you're targeting? I will have class some days for some portion of 12-9 GMT.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll be free most days for the two weeks after April 1st, so I'll work around what's good for the players. Remember the times I've given are start times, so if we started at 8pm GMT it would be able to run till around midnight or later if need be.

With regards to character creation I'd like to have players do it separately from eachother, but in order for me to witness the initial career roll it would be ideal if players could catch me in IRC (see sig) at some point before making their character, where I can also help out with any areas that need guidance.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sug-dog, I'm reading the g-doc right now but you know I'm in provided I can get a time slot to line up. I'm looking at being available Monday through Wednesday in the afternoon. On Mon and Wed I get out of class at 3:30 (PST) and Tuesdays I get out at 1:20 (PST). I think Tuesday is gonna be the closest bet for me, even though that's pretty late for you. I guess I could come in a little late too. Curse my timezone!

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds interesting, but the hours are incompatible with my work schedule. Good luck.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sheesh, Pacific Time is GMT-8? That's a ridiculous timezone. Might put a bit of a fly in the ointment, but I'll have a look at my schedule and see if any time could work.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited March 2010
    Pacific is GMT-7 for the next seven months

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well UK moves to British Summer Time next weekend, which is GMT+1, so it works out much the same in the end.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Collisions
    A vehicle may attempt to collide with another vehicle or an opponent on foot. Doing this is carried out in a similar way to a Melee attack, but the charging vehicle rolls and adds its current Speed while the target rolls and adds either their current Speed (for vehicles) or Vigor (for target on-foot). If the vehicle's roll equals or beats the target the collision hits.
    The Target may choose to allow the collision, in which case it hits automatically.

Both the target and the vehicle take a hit, with the other vehicle or character's Armour score being used in place of Penetration and the Speed of the attacking vehicle being used in place of Damage. If two vehicles are heading towards eachother the higher of their Speed scores is used for the purpose of Damage.

Critical Hits cannot be caused by Collisions.

This is awesome. Shouldn't the speeds be combined for damage if they are headed straight for each other though? Physics and all.

EDIT: also, it wasn't really clear when reading the document; do space vehicles use newtonian physics or do they behave the way an airplane would?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Well UK moves to British Summer Time next weekend, which is GMT+1, so it works out much the same in the end.

also: fuck! I thought we had it with daylight savings!

EDIT: if this timezone thing doesn't work out, those of us not living under an archaic, old-world timezone should get a irc game of SS13 going. Even if sug doesn't know it, that is what this system was designed for.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not heard of it. Got the elevator pitch for it?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MOVE TO THE STATES

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Collisions
    A vehicle may attempt to collide with another vehicle or an opponent on foot. Doing this is carried out in a similar way to a Melee attack, but the charging vehicle rolls and adds its current Speed while the target rolls and adds either their current Speed (for vehicles) or Vigor (for target on-foot). If the vehicle's roll equals or beats the target the collision hits.
    The Target may choose to allow the collision, in which case it hits automatically.

Both the target and the vehicle take a hit, with the other vehicle or character's Armour score being used in place of Penetration and the Speed of the attacking vehicle being used in place of Damage. If two vehicles are heading towards eachother the higher of their Speed scores is used for the purpose of Damage.

Critical Hits cannot be caused by Collisions.

This is awesome. Shouldn't the speeds be combined for damage if they are headed straight for each other though? Physics and all.

EDIT: also, it wasn't really clear when reading the document; do space vehicles use newtonian physics or do they behave the way an airplane would?
    Using the highest speed is just one of those game things where a more realistic way of handling it would be more complicated than the improvement is worth. Adding them together makes head on collisions just a little too deadly for my tastes.
    Remember this is an untested version, so everything in the doc is subject to change after trying it out.

In terms of Space Physics I'd just leave that down to each GM's personal tastes. It's not something I like to think too hard about when it comes to pen and paper games.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ...elevator pitch?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I meant a quick summary of SS13. I'd wiki it but I don't recognise the acronym.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ah yes, I'm loosely familiar with that. Sounds pretty neat.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yesssss

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    neffff you need to get on IRC. Can't you game and work at the same time?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i'm a cook, so no.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the concept but your timezones suck Soogs.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ditto

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    nothing?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have some players from elsewhere, so the game will be going ahead next week, but nobody from here.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    balls. when?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Get yourself in the IRC channel and we can talk times. I'm off work so it can start at any time from midday to 10pm GMT really. Not fully sure about the day yet.

SUPERSUGA on