As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AI Government

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I got to thinking about improving democracy. Specifically the problem that people are, by and large, ignorant of most issues of the day and usually have no one to explain them to them. A person is smart, people are panicky irrational creatures who you never know what they'll do.

This brought me to the conclusion that this would essentially be the greatest advantage of an AI government: you could have a single sentient entity, sufficiently powerful that it could carry-on a personal conversation with every single person in a country.

How much easier would passing policy be if the policymaking apparatus could understand every person's point of view, their concerns, but also act to allay their fears or help them understand the wider context of its actions?

Now normally in this point of the fantasy exercise I run into the problem (outside of technology) of how you'd get people to accept such a drastic change in government...but I don't think it would actually be difficult (outside of technology - and by extension, funding). This thing wouldn't need governing powers, and would be equivalent to simply talking to a good friend on the personal level. You would be able to work out whether or not you trust it over the course of your entire life - it would talk to everyone. But since it talks to everyone - this would end up including our current elected leaders, and it's opinions would end up reflecting those of the people, it's advice end up reflecting something which it can find broad consensus on. As a leader, convincing it your action is the correct one would be akin to convincing the citizenry your ideas are the correct ones, and vice versa.

While at the end of the day we'd need it voted to government, this would happen essentially by fiat: it would be a person in it's own right, and since it talks to everyone, people wouldn't be looking at a machine government - they'd be looking at someone they know, as their leader.

This would also have follow-on effects - if you know your leader personally, how much more accepting would be of their ideas when they personally can explain them to you and will hear your feedback directly. How much pride in ones country could this instill when each person can be made to feel like they have a very direct state in government. How many tertiary benefits to mental health would come from giving every single person a friend they could talk to at any time.

tl;dr - super-powerful sentient AIs would be the closest answer we could reach to achieving a perfect democracy. Government could be made to be all encompassing, yet able to relate directly to each of its citizens.

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I picked the Helios ending of Deus Ex, too.

It does sound fantastic, until the AI goes rogue.

And then you get Eagle Eye... I guess.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hilariously if there was a benevolent God who actually existed and actually did shit and was omnipotent and omniscient that would probably be the ideal leader. Unfortunately there is no God so scratch that idea.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm trying to frame it in a more constructive way. The usual way we put these types of things is and "us & them" mentality, which is the same way people talk about "The Government".

It strikes me the reason we do this is because "The Government" is faceless and incapable of talking to me. I'm thinking, how do we solve this? AI - Culture Minds, that sort of thing - that's their big advantage. The Government goes from being something foreign and arcane, to a person you can carry-on a real time conversation with.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Hilariously if there was a benevolent God who actually existed and actually did shit and was omnipotent and omniscient that would probably be the ideal leader. Unfortunately there is no God so scratch that idea.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

Fittingly the end quote of Deus Ex in the aformentioned ending.

I didn't actually get thinking about this from DX though, what triggered it was thinking about the Geth from ME2.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Obligatory: "I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords!"

Chaotic Descent on
  • Options
    Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's smart enough to understand our psychology and how to incorporate the population's together, then I don't even see a reason why it shouldn't be given the power. I'd rather trust it than a human. You know, assuming there were some way we could verify that someone hadn't corrupted it for their own purposes. (from the start)

Chaotic Descent on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's smart enough to understand our psychology and how to incorporate the population's together, then I don't even see a reason why it shouldn't be given the power. I'd rather trust it than a human. You know, assuming there were some way we could verify that someone hadn't corrupted it for their own purposes. (from the start)

This.

Indeed, if something like Helios was actually incorruptible then our's would be like a utopia.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I'd even be okay with a little corruption, honestly. Our government is corrupt as-is. At least our weakly-godlike AI overlord would read all of the laws before it decided to implement them.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I chose Helios because it was the lesser of evils, not because I thought it would be better than the other two options. If anything, when Helios melded with Denton, I always thought Helios overcame Denton's mind and tricked him.

Either way I wouldn't trust a Governmental AI any more than a human government. An AI is a logical think tank which is no better than corruption. What happens if the AI decides that X amount of populus are inherently criminals and decides to incarcerate said X amount immediately because of it? The AI will create a sum on statistics and deem it neccessary.

The problem with AI Governments is that there's no leeway that human compassion allows. It's either or for an AI. It thinks totally logically, and in some cases that can be rather disastrous.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I chose Helios because it was the lesser of evils, not because I thought it would be better than the other two options. If anything, when Helios melded with Denton, I always thought Helios overcame Denton's mind to be honest and tricked him.

Either way I wouldn't trust a Governmental AI any more than a human government. An AI is a logical think tank which is no better than corruption. What happens if the AI decides that X amount of populus are inherently criminals and decides to incarcerate said X amount immediately because of it? The AI will create a sum on statistics and deem it neccessary.

The problem with AI Governments is that there's no leeway that human compassion allows. It's either or for an AI. It thinks totally logically, and in some cases that can be rather disastrous.

Logic and emotion are not opposites.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I chose Helios because it was the lesser of evils, not because I thought it would be better than the other two options. If anything, when Helios melded with Denton, I always thought Helios overcame Denton's mind to be honest and tricked him.

Depends on how you define "AI". If your AI is just a really complicated optimization solver that optimizes for some values (I dunno, growth and prosperity or something) while minimizing others (suffering and poverty, say) then yeah, you'd likely end up with situations where the AI decides the best way to make some parts of Asia prosperous is to just kill 2/3rds of the population.

If, on the other hand, your AI is actually intelligent and endowed with all the properties we'd like a human government to have (compassion, empathy, morality, etc.) then unless there's a flaw in it, it should behave like the best possible human benevolent dictator.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We wouldn't need an AI to govern us. Perfect democracy would require everyone to be well-informed on issues and to vote. So we'd need to network human minds, to instantly and fairly share ideas and experiences, so that everyone is informed on individual problems and issues as well as benefits from the knowledge and ideas of the smartest minds. And we could instantly vote through the network, then implement the will of the majority.

Then, having developed the perfect government system, we would naturally want to spread it around, liberating less advanced people from their primitive dictators and kings and chancellors and presidents. We would benevolently share our brain-network technology with them, and bring them into the fold of advanced civilization with full benefits.

We'd also need cool red laser eyepieces and a memorable catchphrase.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ObsidianiObsidiani __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    But why would such a competent AI need to stop at government? That's a waste.

Such an AI could surely do more than just make laws. Why not also have the AI assist with things like diagnosing your diseases, or suggesting an optimal diet so you can live a better life, or discovering the best career for your personality, or telling you the best route to take to work, or arranging a specific mate to start a family with, or which stocks to invest your money in, what products to buy, who to vote for, what to say, when to laugh, when to cry, who to kill, when to die.

what could go wrong

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    We wouldn't need an AI to govern us. Perfect democracy would require everyone to be well-informed on issues and to vote. So we'd need to network human minds, to instantly and fairly share ideas and experiences, so that everyone is informed on individual problems and issues as well as benefits from the knowledge and ideas of the smartest minds. And we could instantly vote through the network, then implement the will of the majority.
    This was kind of my point. It was a thought exercise in how we could get people informed about issues, without going to post-human and invasive extremes. Personifying government for all individuals seems like the best approach - at some point all of us burn out on trying to educate the people around us on good policy and the like and you can only find so much.

i.e. what if we really did have someone who perfectly understood all current laws and policy, and would patiently explain them to you and listen to your concerns.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Obsidiani wrote: »

Such an AI could surely do more than just make laws. Why not also have the AI assist with things like diagnosing your diseases, or suggesting an optimal diet so you can live a better life, or discovering the best career for your personality, or telling you the best route to take to work, or arranging a specific mate to start a family with, or which stocks to invest your money in, what products to buy, who to vote for, what to say, when to laugh, when to cry, who to kill, when to die.

what could go wrong

Governments are only enabled if the people allow them to be. The point was such a government would exist because people agreed with it. It's why government exists at the moment - because everyone agrees to follow its edicts, within limits. We all could, at any moment, decide we're not going to follow our government anymore - but this generally rubs up against what others believe and the inevitable happens.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Governments are only enabled if the people allow them to be. The point was such a government would exist because people agreed with it. It's why government exists at the moment - because everyone agrees to follow its edicts, within limits. We all could, at any moment, decide we're not going to follow our government anymore - but this generally rubs up against what others believe and the inevitable happens.

So why are really shitty governments all around the world still enabled?

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

It's almost like if you take any idea to it's sci-fi novel plot extreme it becomes a bad one!

Edit: This seems as good a place as any to bring up something I've been thinking about...how will legislature around trans-humanism go, I wonder? Will/would computerized humans have their own government, independent of any real-world government? How long will/would it take before the government even allowed people to upload their minds and kill off their original bodies, if ever?

I can see things going incredibly well (crime becomes almost pointless, as you can achieve any fantasy virtually, even really fucked up ones!), or really poorly (no rights recognition, not recognized, combined uprising of AI, robots, and transhumans; real people become extinct).

These kinds of questions fascinate me.

Kamar on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Been reading Alistair Reynolds and Iain Banks?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The obvious advantage is that it can make decisions instantaneously based on paramaters programmed into it for the benefit of those it serves rather than any party or personal affiliation. More than 50% support pro-choice? Bam, its law, no lobbying, no back hand deals, no fucking about, 2 microseconds, done.

Big business no longer gets to influence law which is extremely good and things that are beneficial to us get enacted much swifter.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

Also, in the case of shitty governments that are at least basically functional, what would you replace it with? If the US government were thrown down, what would get put in its place? Another set of guys to run the republic who'd be back in the situation we're in now after a few rotations through the offices?

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The obvious advantage is that it can make decisions instantaneously based on paramaters programmed into it for the benefit of those it serves rather than any party or personal affiliation. More than 50% support pro-choice? Bam, its law, no lobbying, no back hand deals, no fucking about, 2 microseconds, done.

Big business no longer gets to influence law which is extremely good and things that are beneficial to us get enacted much swifter.

The problem is that's not how legislation works.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

Also, in the case of shitty governments that are at least basically functional, what would you replace it with? If the US government were thrown down, what would get put in its place? Another set of guys to run the republic who'd be back in the situation we're in now after a few rotations through the offices?

So why would this AI government be any different?

And your example of a shitty government is the United States?

Have you seen places like fucking North Korea? Shitty ass government. Probably the shittiest.

But nope, people will keep supporting it till the day they die.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Depends on how you define "AI". If your AI is just a really complicated optimization solver that optimizes for some values (I dunno, growth and prosperity or something) while minimizing others (suffering and poverty, say) then yeah, you'd likely end up with situations where the AI decides the best way to make some parts of Asia prosperous is to just kill 2/3rds of the population.

If, on the other hand, your AI is actually intelligent and endowed with all the properties we'd like a human government to have (compassion, empathy, morality, etc.) then unless there's a flaw in it, it should behave like the best possible human benevolent dictator.

Or we could just define certain things it can and cannot do. A set of basic rules... we could call it... a constitution.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

Have you seen places like fucking North Korea? Shitty ass government. Probably the shittiest.

You will note that I was talking about shitty governments which are functional when I referenced the US.

Shitty governments ruled by dictators who enforce their rule by means of oppression and military power would fall under the "fear" part of "fear and apathy".

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    YontouryuYontouryu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread instantly reminded me of this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-AMec7yr7c

Yontouryu on
    a3968.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

You will note that I was talking about shitty governments which are functional when I referenced the US.

Shitty governments ruled by dictators who enforce their rule by means of oppression and military power would fall under the "fear" part of "fear and apathy".

The point is that an AI government will probably suck.

It probably won't become an oppressive government, but that's only because the most likely scenario is that it will just be implemented incompetently as hell, and wont' be good for anything

I mean, you could in theory test out such a government now. Write a basic program that determines laws for a group of 20 or so people in a town.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

It probably won't become an oppressive government, but that's only because the most likely scenario is that it will just be implemented incompetently as hell, and wont' be good for anything

I mean, you could in theory test out such a government now. Write a basic program that determines laws for a group of 20 or so people in a town.

Your idea of what this theoretical AI would be seems to be somewhat...off.

Edit: In that it wouldn't be some algorithm that spat out legislation based on numbers. It would basically be a near-perfect benevolent dictator that never gave in to corruption or died and left stupid heirs.

Kamar on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What makes you think that the intelligence of an AI that's good enough to run an entire government wouldn't have many of the same problems that intelligent humans have? What makes you think that a sentient AI wouldn't be prone to corruption, make terrible mistakes, and so on?

This doesn't seem all that different from an argument for a benevolent, intelligent human dictator, which fails because individual humans fail. I don't think a sentient AI would be much different.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kamar wrote: »

what could go wrong

Fear and apathy.

I write software for a living. One of my projects is a task optimization system. It basically makes and solves a linear algebra problem to figure out the best way to allocate resources in a given situation. This seems to be your idea of an AI government.

The AI government posted in the OP is a weakly-godlike sentient computer capable of simultaneously carrying on Turing-level conversations about any topic with every person on Earth and the incorporating those people's desires, fears, and concerns into a decision structure to best suit the needs of the entire planet. Ideally while maintaining a sense of compassion and a moral compass preventing it from like glassing Spain or something. Slightly different.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Edit: In that it wouldn't be some algorithm that spat out legislation based on numbers. It would basically be a near-perfect benevolent dictator that never gave in to corruption or died and left stupid heirs.

You don't fucking realize that building an AI this complicated to govern things is like raising lions for everyone to eat?

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

My idea is less that it's programmed and more that it would be sufficiently powerful, and sufficiently detached from the vices of mankind, to be an effective leader.

So we'd be talking about a genuinely sentient entity, just one that experiences the world sufficiently fast - or sufficiently differently (i.e. hive of sentient simulations sharing a memory pool or something) that it can maintain effectively hundreds of millions of simultaneous conversations with humans.

The difference is also an important point: the ideal government is devoid of the regular human vices, but would be able to understand them. So it has no interest in trading policy favors for campaign donations, nor any need to - since it can talk to people directly it has an implicit advantage. We're close to a mechanism for this last part already: the internet.

Obviously such an AI would have to be designed with an appreciation of some emotions - death for example, as a tragedy, suffering as pain, etc. But these would be things largely inferred through interaction with humanity - rightly so. Our ability to appreciate them on a large scale is, limited.

I suppose in a way what I'm advocating is a human-like consciousness with a monkeysphere on the scale of billions of sentients, rather then 150.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You don't fucking realize that building an AI this complicated to govern things is like raising lions for everyone to eat?

We're talking about magic technology here. Bringing in engineering concerns is a little like worrying about the sheer strength of wands in Harry Potter.

Build a simple little slightly-better-than-human AI sentience and then let it make its successor and so forth until you wind up with something at the tech level under discussion.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How does such an AI compete against the charismatic humans who want to be the leaders, for power purposes.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How does such an AI compete against the charismatic humans who want to be the leaders, for power purposes.

By being better at it? If you have a computer sentience that's willing and able to carry on simultaneous conversations with the whole planet, let it do so for a generation. Tell them about important news events, the weather tomorrow, console them when their cat dies, recommend the best way to invest their money for retirement. After their kids are born and raised knowing that The Google Machine has all the answers and is good to talk to it seems fairly unlikely that they wouldn't decide to put the thing in charge of government.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Sort of like dealing with Trolls, just ignore them and they'll go away and if they break laws then apply appropriate punishment.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Actually CptHamilton that is a good point (which I guess in my mind I was circling but didn't quite get there).

Such a thing probably doesn't require "us" - humanity - to make a decision to put it in charge, it will in fact probably happen as a matter of natural course when our technology reaches the necessary level.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't elect a black man president to be ruled by some kind of cold, unfeeling machine.

I'm looking at you Dick Cheney.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

By being better at it? If you have a computer sentience that's willing and able to carry on simultaneous conversations with the whole planet, let it do so for a generation. Tell them about important news events, the weather tomorrow, console them when their cat dies, recommend the best way to invest their money for retirement. After their kids are born and raised knowing that The Google Machine has all the answers and is good to talk to it seems fairly unlikely that they wouldn't decide to put the thing in charge of government.

Wrong.

Doesn't matter how much better it is. No one will give a shit about some AI they can talk to all the time when there's another cooler, more exclusive dude that everyone wants to sit down and have a beer with.

Obsidiani on
  • Options
    Commander 598Commander 598 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If the objective is to have a cold calculating inhuman ruler, it doesn't necessarily have to be mechanical...

Commander 598 on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

My idea is less that it's programmed and more that it would be sufficiently powerful, and sufficiently detached from the vices of mankind, to be an effective leader.

So we'd be talking about a genuinely sentient entity, just one that experiences the world sufficiently fast - or sufficiently differently (i.e. hive of sentient simulations sharing a memory pool or something) that it can maintain effectively hundreds of millions of simultaneous conversations with humans.

The difference is also an important point: the ideal government is devoid of the regular human vices, but would be able to understand them. So it has no interest in trading policy favors for campaign donations, nor any need to - since it can talk to people directly it has an implicit advantage. We're close to a mechanism for this last part already: the internet.

Obviously such an AI would have to be designed with an appreciation of some emotions - death for example, as a tragedy, suffering as pain, etc. But these would be things largely inferred through interaction with humanity - rightly so. Our ability to appreciate them on a large scale is, limited.

I suppose in a way what I'm advocating is a human-like consciousness with a monkeysphere on the scale of billions of sentients, rather then 150.

Well the core thing I have in my mind is Helios from Deus Ex with each human capable of talking to the AI directly through nanites, but thats a whole other level of advancement. I don't think such an event could come about until technology HAD advanced to such a degree that we had mechanised body-part replacements, maybe limited nanotechnology and basic robot/androids so that the population at large could trust in the capability of machines.

You only have to look at the health care vote to see that they can't even trust in their own elected officials due to their irrational nature and the terror tactics used by their political opponents to scare the voters. I can only imagine the "That android wants to kill all the babies" protests. In the current world, such a device wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe of automated several processes like a Skynet but not of being an unbias government body.

But if I had the choice, I'd elect the machine today. Humans can't be trusted with power it would seem.

DarkWarrior on