As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Taking a Break (Girl Thread)

D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend of 21 months made the decision that she needed a break from our relationship a little less than three weeks ago. I've been unemployed for three months, and the job search (along with a couple of false starts at potential jobs) left me pretty discouraged. She's extremely goal-oriented and always thinking of the future, and she decided that the pressure and responsibility of dealing with me ("taking care of me" as she put it) was too much, and she needed to separate for an undetermined amount of time. We're staying faithful to each other, and not dating anyone at all until we decide whether or not we can work as a couple.

She wanted the break to be about us doing our own thing, and being independent for a while. I mistook this (whether accidentally, or on purpose subconsciously, I don't know) as being that we were going to work on our personal issues and come back together somewhere down the road.

My focuses have been busting my ass to find a job, become self-sufficient and independent, and working on my emotions (one thing we agreed on was that I am a great, attentive and loving boyfriend -- basically, I'm good at the emotional stuff. But I'm not good at the "partner" aspects of the relationship; IE: setting goals, contributing in tangible ways), and finding a balance between my emotions and getting things done like an adult. She needs both of these things in a boyfriend.

I've been working really hard to better myself, and even going so far as to seeing a counselor once a week. After a really good, constructive session, I texted my girl and asked her if she wanted to meet up. I wanted to tell her all the progress I've made, and I wanted to know what she had been working on. When we met up, she told me that all the objectives she had set for herself were about her job and things she personally wanted to do -- nothing at all to do with the relationship. She said that I misunderstood the point of the break, and that I shouldn't be doing all of this for her or for the relationship, but for myself.

The conversation got heated from there. She told me that while I've been suffering without her and still trying to work hard to better myself, the past weeks have been fun and liberating for her. She said that a burden had been lifted, and she has more energy than she's had in a long time. That she needed to be "selfish" for the time being and focus on her.

I asked her if she was over us, and if she still loved me. She was hesitant, and said that she still loves and cares for me, but her love has changed. She's not in love with me in the romantic sense right now. This floored me. And yet, we're still not defining the relationship in absolutes. She believes that people can fall back in love, and we need time apart. She says it's not a decision she can make right away, but she does want to check in on our relationship and see if we can work somewhere down the road.

I realize this is already incredibly long.

I've accepted the idea that she thinks she's not in love with me because her heart isn't currently in the relationship. I relied on her a lot for the past few months, and she deserves some time on her own to be selfish -- I was selfish for a while, myself, so I understand how the break can be liberating.

What I can't figure out is how to focus on my personal goals without thinking of getting back together with her as my superobjective. Furthermore, I can't stop thinking about her, wondering what she's up to, and generally just wanting to talk to her. If we have a conversation over text or the phone, I feel closer to normal, but if we go a day or so without talking, I start to get anxious, lonely and my mind starts going a mile a minute. I'm very much in love with her, and not getting that love returned and not being with her because I dropped the ball for a few months feels excessive.

And how will we know when it's time to end the break and try again? Not having her in my life every day is painful, and not knowing when it will end is eating at me. And how does taking time away from each other help the issues with our relationship? What if this time away causes us to grow even farther apart, when we could be using this time to strengthen our relationship as a team?

Has anyone been through a break in a relationship? How did you deal with feelings of just having broken up with the person you love in a pseudo-break-up situation? When did you know it was right to approach the person about trying the relationship again?

DxTiddy.png
D.T. on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She didn't take a break with you dude, she broke up with you. Get piss fucking loaded, cry your guts into the toilet, hit up a titty bar with your friends and move on. Cut yourself off from her, you'll be back to normal before you know it.

Robman on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Advice is a dangerous thing, but I think you need to be more secure in who you are without her. You need to acknowledge the possibility that perhaps the relationship will not work out, and more importantly, that you will be okay without her.

When you can live without her, then you'll really know if you want to.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah bro you done got stealth dumped.

You could probably win her back by acting like you don't care and somehow getting a job as an investment banker making 201k a year but at that point would you really want to?

So basically my advice is either:
    fake it till you make it

or
    let her go.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You seem awfully desperate to get back with a girl who said it was fun and liberating being broken up from you.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    She didn't take a break with you dude, she broke up with you. Get piss fucking loaded, cry your guts into the toilet, hit up a titty bar with your friends and move on. Cut yourself off from her, you'll be back to normal before you know it.
    I'm sorry, but... yeah.

admanb on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Advice is a dangerous thing, but I think you need to be more secure in who you are without her. You need to acknowledge the possibility that perhaps the relationship will not work out, and more importantly, that you will be okay without her.

When you can live without her, then you'll really know if you want to.

Yeah, I second this. My advice never seems sound, but from the post you made, it seemed to me like you were overly dependent on her, which is bad.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but... yeah.

Yeah, I was going to lime this one too. I'm thinking it's pretty over, but you sound like you're making steps that'll help you through it.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't have much to add other than that I agree with what is being said.

You have been dumped.

The good news is that life goes on.

I also agree that you should not allow yourself to be so dependent on relationship partners.

Noxy on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, if her heart was in it before a couple months of leaning on her wouldn't have killed it. That's what your partner is supposed to do, support you when you need it. If what you said is accurate and you were going on interviews and trying to get hired, there is no reason she should have felt you were a burden, especially in this economy.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yup, this. And by "cut yourself off," we mean everything. Block her on all your social networking sites, IM, delete her number from your phone, her e-mail from your address book, and if she sends you anything, delete it unread/unlistened to.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yup, this. And by "cut yourself off," we mean everything. Block her on all your social networking sites, IM, delete her number from your phone, her e-mail from your address book, and if she sends you anything, delete it unread/unlistened to.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Having been on both ends of a stealth break-up, yes, this is EXACTLY what it looks like, how it's done, even what you say.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everyone called it. You've been dumped. You can spend the next several years trying and failing to get back together with her since she didn't give you a clean break, or you can take this as a great opportunity to get a job and meet some new girls.

This is a shitty way to break up with people who haven't done more dating, because it's not always clear. She is going to want to hit you up for emotional support later on, and she will be able to use the fact that you didn't get the clean resolution you needed to take advantage of you emotionally. Do what Thanatos said, cut her out of your life for a year or two, completely. You're not going to be able to interact with her in a non-emotionally biased manner until you are completely over her. In the mean time, she will almost certainly try to use you as an emotional crutch. This is simply something people often do at this age.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

And don't take her back when you get your shit together.

She basically abandoned you when you were in a rough time because it was affecting her as well. She basically left you alone in a time of need.

She'll do it again if you take her back when things are hunkey dorey.

And as mentioned above, If she contacts you for "cuddles" or "a shoulder to cry on" or whatever emotional assistance she needs, don't respond to her, because she's trying to use you.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

+1

Shit is not cash when she says she wants to keep you as option "for later on", as if you're some kind of back up.

Not cool, you're not her toy.

Cristo on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The OP better damn well be reading this thread, this is quality advice here.

Sipex on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    D.T. wrote: »

The conversation got heated from there. She told me that while I've been suffering without her and still trying to work hard to better myself, the past weeks have been fun and liberating for her. She said that a burden had been lifted, and she has more energy than she's had in a long time. That she needed to be "selfish" for the time being and focus on her.

How this didn't set off warning bells in your head, I have no idea.

Pretty much what everyone has said. Cut off all contact with her.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Translation: She found someone else and she wants to keep you just in case things don't work out. Cut your losses, focus on your life and find someone who you get along with better. It's harsh but needs to be said.

p.s. it seems like you have some fledgling co-dependence issues and possibly a little self-esteem damage. Most of us have these to a point, but it'd be a good thing to work on during your self-improvement because a little can quickly grow into a full-on problem. Bottom line is, if you need someone near you to enjoy life it's time to start thinking why that's the case.

3drage on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's gonna suck for a while... but you'll get better. Good luck man!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    Translation: She found someone else and she wants to keep you just in case things don't work out.

This isn't necessarily true. Plenty of people feel liberated after they get out of straining relationships, even if they stay single. This particular relationship lasted almost two years, so she's probably just enjoying being single because it can feel liberating.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    3drage wrote: »
    p.s. it seems like you have some fledgling co-dependence issues and possibly a little self-esteem damage. Most of us have these to a point, but it'd be a good thing to work on during your self-improvement because a little can quickly grow into a full-on problem. Bottom line is, if you need someone near you to enjoy life it's time to start thinking why that's the case.

This.

ALSO. You seem to sell yourself incredibly short and you're going to end up with some bad relationships if you don't get your ass in gear.

At this rate, everytime something goes wrong I can see you taking it as your fault. You must've done this wrong, not paid enough attention here. In addition, whenever she does something that most people wouldn't stand for I can see you standing off going "Okay, she deserves that" or "I'll let her sleep with a guy because it's true, I haven't been pleasing her recently."

Come on.

Sipex on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I get her number?
    *rim shot* HO!

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Has anyone been through a break in a relationship? How did you deal with feelings of just having broken up with the person you love in a pseudo-break-up situation? When did you know it was right to approach the person about trying the relationship again?

This isn't a break. It's clearly a break-up. She's just not willing to be honest about it with you about the end of the relationship. Regardless of whether or not she and you agreed to a break, it's obvious that it's gone well beyond that, in her view. And you need to deal with that.

Having been through a divorce and several long-term relationships that ended with break-ups, the best advice I can give you is to stay busy. Find things to do, whether it's going to the gym, volunteering, or hanging out with your friends. Doing nothing is the enemy. That's when the self-doubt, depressive thoughts and loneliness kick in.

Look at this as a great opportunity to figure out your life and eventually find someone more compatible with you. From what you've said, you two had very different views of how to conduct yourself in life. While that's not always bad, it appears that in this case it was just a bad fit for her (and I think you'll find that when you look back on this later, you'll see it was also a bad fit for you - particularly because when life got tough, she was willing to walk away).

badpoet on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Regardless of whether or not this is a breakup (hint: it is, completely), you aren't going to be able to better yourself at all until you start treating it like one. It's been said before, but cut off all contact with her, get a job, get a life of your own.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And I can't help but echo the above. Delete her phone number, email address, and de-friend her from social networking sites. Don't answer calls from her, respond to texts or emails, or initiate any contact with her. If you do, you'll simply be hampering your healing process. And, she's not worth that.

I know is probable that you're going to come back to this thread and say we're wrong, it really isn't over, and that it is just a break. But, it really is. You can live a lie thinking that it isn't, thinking that this woman and you are meant to be, that if only given time that it will work. Most of us have been right where you are now (maybe not jobless too but in a similar relationship situation), and have thought those things. In the end, you end up being her pawn that she moves around, keeping you at just the right distance to be there when she needs you but to not be there when you need her.

It really is over. Cry. Drink with friends (don't drink alone and don't drive anywhere). Take your time figuring out how you can be an independent person that is happy and confident with being himself and not relying on others for your self-esteem. And stay busy.

badpoet on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I asked her if she was over us, and if she still loved me. She was hesitant, and said that she still loves and cares for me, but her love has changed. She's not in love with me in the romantic sense right now. This floored me. And yet, we're still not defining the relationship in absolutes. She believes that people can fall back in love, and we need time apart. She says it's not a decision she can make right away, but she does want to check in on our relationship and see if we can work somewhere down the road.
    She's trying not to hurt you/feel like a villain. Sorry, dude, but it's done. She's moved on. She's only leaving the door open for options in case the relationship she's moved on to doesn't work out. Don't be there for "options". Just walk away and be happy you didn't get married/have a kid for someone who wouldn't have the fortitude to be there for the long haul. I think you've figured that out, or you wouldn't have peppered your post with the anvils I've bolded.

GungHo on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, she's taking a break alright. From you. For good.
    /me echos just about everything else in this thread.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to have problems with dependency and it took three serious relationships for me to finally break away from the cycle and learn to love myself and comfortable as an independent person. I am currently in a several year relationship and everything is going well. Both of us are independent for the most part and life is good.

For me, getting away from my last trainwreck of a relationship consisted of deleting her number, blocking facebook and burning our pictures/letters/so on. It was damn hard to do but the next day I felt good knowing that I could not run back to her in a moment of weakness.

Noxy on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OP, please listen to the advice in this thread. It's terribly hard at first, but keep trying to bust your ass to get a job and improve whatever you feel you are lacking in... Key word here is YOU...not what SHE thought you were lacking.

I made the huge mistake of keeping in touch with an ex fiance' once... we had been around each other so long, it seemed we should be friends...let me tell you, that it was nothing but a year of having my heart ripped out every time he told me about all the things he was going out to do people he was seeing, and basically how great his life was ... without me.

You do yourself no favors hanging on to someone that just wants you waiting in the corner for when she's done playing with her new toys.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    stahstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to echo what was said above.

To me, the only real way I could move on was when I finally accepted that me and the girl would never get back together. Deleting the numbers, not reading emails, etc. all work to reach this point quicker. If you have mutual friends, it's probably a good idea to evaluate your friendship with them, as well.

Think of it as a gunshot. There is no point in sewing up the wound and trying to heal when you still have shrapnel inside. All it does is get infected and become something ugly.

Remove the shrapnel and heal your wounds. And remember, EVERYONE goes through this at some point.

stah on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And you'll probably read these responses and think "That's not right, she said this was just a break so we could focus on our jobs, it was a relationship exercise!"

Look, if I punch you repeatedly and say "I'm not punching you" each time I do it, it doesn't mean I'm not punching you. It means I'm trying to get away with it. She told you she wanted a break, she wanted to focus on her job and not have any responsibilities with you. What makes you think she's now going to suddenly think everything is better?

When normal people in healthy relationships have something bad go down, their bond becomes tighter and they work together to solve the problem. Think of it this way -- you're in the woods with her and suddenly a bear surprises you. What you should do is work together. What she did was trip you and run off, leaving you as bear food.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    stah wrote: »
    I'd like to echo what was said above.

To me, the only real way I could move on was when I finally accepted that me and the girl would never get back together. Deleting the numbers, not reading emails, etc. all work to reach this point quicker. If you have mutual friends, it's probably a good idea to evaluate your friendship with them, as well.

Think of it as a gunshot. There is no point in sewing up the wound and trying to heal when you still have shrapnel inside. All it does is get infected and become something ugly.

Remove the shrapnel and heal your wounds. And remember, EVERYONE goes through this at some point.

Wait what? That isn't how they treat gunshot wounds at all.

Robman on
  • Options
    stahstah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know that. I was using cartoon/movie logic and was hoping no one would call me on it.

For the sake of the metaphor, assume it is. :P

stah on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I echo again, please please read this stuff OP, don't be out there now ignoring the thread because we're not saying what you want to hear!

Sipex on
  • Options
    IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She used trickery to break up with you while not closing things off with you so that if she wasn't happy single she could still pick things up where you both left off.

She's hedging her bets. This whole "take a break" thing is a side-bet in case she's not as happy outside the relationship as she was in it. Obviously, it's working out for her.

She's trying to leave you on the hook emotionally for her while she is probably not thinking or giving a crap about you or your life.

I'm sure you have very real feelings for this girl, but as an outside observer it's a pretty fucked-up thing for her to do. She really wasn't kidding when she said she was going to be selfish. I'm really sorry man :( It's over. And if she comes back, kick her to the curb. You deserve better than to be some lady's backup plan.

Ioga on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I went through this, but we reconnected one more time - after having sex, of course - and managed to prolong the inevitable for another 6 months.

Be true to yourself. You don't want to marry somebody who would divorce you when things get tough.

This is a person who is driven by her own selfish needs and desires.

I agree with what everyone else has said. You won't be able to remove her from your thoughts, but you need to physically remove all other aspects of her from your life and try to move on as best you can.

Slider on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    99% of the time when people want to go on a break they lack the balls to break up with you. To be honest I've never seen the one percent happen, but I hate to deal in absolutes.

You might want to make the relationship work. But she can't even be bothered with it. That is insulting to you. And you have the right to feel angry about it.

Go call up your friends that you haven't seen for two years tell them what happened. They will be there for you, because she is too lazy and too selfish to care. You can then go out and get drunk and do all the things that she hated you doing. (I know this is ridiculously petty, but in all honestly it works) Also if you want the ultimate it pointless revenge be the first person to say you aren't in a relationship anymore in facebook.

Blake T on