As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

South Korea invokes gaming curfew for children.

2»

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This story is actually more about the government trying to enforce their political clout rather than addressing actual gaming addiction. Most children in Korea are not playing online games from midnight to 8am. I work for one of the largest gaming publishers in Korea operating arguably the most popular online game among the 12-17 yr old male Korean gamers and our internal data shows that these kids have better things to do during this time period, most likely sleeping.

The one thing not immediately apparent from the article is that every single one of the games mentioned for the initial roll-out of the system is developed by Nexon. Games which are far more popular such as NC Soft's Lineage are currently exempt from this rule. I'm not sure what Nexon might have done to piss off the government, but this sounds more like payback rather than a genuine attempt at safety. The rule becomes even sillier if the list is referencing the new Mabinogi game, because that game can only be played by mature players due to it's rating by the mandatory government rating board.

Another thing to note is that China already incorporated a similar feature back in 2007 restricting young players from playing online games for an extended duration of time and playing during certain time periods. They utilize a system known as the Anti-Fatigue system which severely reduces in-game rewards when players under 18 surpass a specially designated time limit. However the main problem with the Chinese system is that their online national identification system is still undependable due to the recent implementation.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that this law probably won't affect much in reality and most likely came about due to politics.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    krapst78 wrote: »
    This story is actually more about the government trying to enforce their political clout rather than addressing actual gaming addiction. Most children in Korea are not playing online games from midnight to 8am. I work for one of the largest gaming publishers in Korea operating arguably the most popular online game among the 12-17 yr old male Korean gamers and our internal data shows that these kids have better things to do during this time period, most likely sleeping.

The one thing not immediately apparent from the article is that every single one of the games mentioned for the initial roll-out of the system is developed by Nexon. Games which are far more popular such as NC Soft's Lineage are currently exempt from this rule. I'm not sure what Nexon might have done to piss of the government, but this sounds more like payback rather than a genuine attempt at safety. The rule becomes even sillier if the list is referencing the new Mabinogi game, because that game can only be played by mature players due to it's rating by the mandatory government rating board.

Another thing to note is that China already incorporated a similar feature back in 2007 restricting young players from playing online games for an extended duration of time and playing during certain time periods. They utilize a system known as the Anti-Fatigue system which severely reduces in-game rewards when players under 18 surpass a specially designated time limit. However the main problem with the Chinese system is that their online national identification system is still undependable due to the recent implementation.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that this law probably won't affect much in reality and most likely came about due to politics.

This is pretty interesting.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    krapst78 wrote: »

Okay, NOW I have a problem with this.

Incenjucar on