As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it's a fair point. If Brink had a Plastation Move or a Kinect control option, people would probably be eager to see how that works out. Especially when you consider that KBAM controls are better for FPS games, it makes sense that people would want to see how Brink plays when people can actually turn around faster than it takes me to talk about it.

Could we please not do the PC vs console KB+M vs control pad thing?

POWERGLOVE.

There. Discussion over. So! How about them vidya games? I likes em.

OMG UR RAPIOST!!11!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can't read jokes very well can you?

Aparently not.

...my internet sensors must be on the fritz.

My bad x 2 I guess. I'm feeling overly agressive today, for some reason.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Brink!

Brink is awesome, though the news of gaining less XP in single player than you do in multi kinda stinks. Makes sense I guess though.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THOUGHTS: I liked this game very much. Partly because I won, but also because it is much simpler to play than I expected. My only problem was that running around, but that's probably because I'm more used to using a PC for FPS games. and I LOVE vaulting over stuff! no longer will I be plagued by the waist high fence!!!

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Aparently not.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Brink!

Brink is awesome, though the news of gaining less XP in single player than you do in multi kinda stinks. Makes sense I guess though.

So is there multi splitscreen? If so, is there less in XP in that as in Single? What if you do Multi with just a bunch of bots?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Aparently not.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Brink!

So is there multi splitscreen? If so, is there less in XP in that as in Single? What if you do Multi with just a bunch of bots?

For some reason I feel like I remember them saying no splitscreen somewhere. Can't recall who said so, though...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well we did have a strong elitism thing going with the "no stinkin' pubbies allowed in the cool club yo!"

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    to be fair the vast majority of public players are atrocious, and that's a fact

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Aparently not.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Brink!

For some reason I feel like I remember them saying no splitscreen somewhere. Can't recall who said so, though...
    Correct, no splitscreen. These games are pushing the console hardware enough as it is to squeeze out one screen, let alone two. They could probably get a second screen up, but then it'd be slideshow city.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Aparently not.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Brink!

Multi with bots is precisely what single player is.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, the good old Battlefield singleplayer.

Still miles better than what they're calling "singleplayer" in most shooters these days

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Senshi wrote: »
    Ah, the good old Battlefield singleplayer.

Still miles better than what they're calling "singleplayer" in most shooters these days

Beefier than Battlefield singleplayer actually.

Brink has a story, and cutscenes and everything that a normal singleplayer campaign would have. You get to experience all of these if you play SP, Co-Op or muilti.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather it can somewhat be compared to Left 4 Dead in that there's story stuff in multiplayer that can technically be played alone. Except that it's competive instead of co-op. And I guess the story goes differently depending on who wins.

Senshi, why the fuck are you never on Steam any more and why do you always seem to be jailed?

Peewi on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's not about controls, it's about having the same stable hardware and not having to deal with compatibility/resolution/etc issues in a convention demo.
    So let's talk about something else. Like how cool Brink is.

I wouldn't expect a PC demo for the masses. Just for some of the PC-centric sites out there, so us PC players can get some impressions specific to the platform that we care about.

I want to know if mouse acceleration is enabled by default. I want to know that if this is the case, how hard is it to turn off? Will I be forced to edit ini files? Will there be an option to turn it off in a menu? Will there be multiple keyboard functions bound to a single key? Will I be able to bind these functions to different keys, splitting them up for better control? There are real issues here, that affect whether or not this is a day one purchase for me or if I wait for the price to drop.

And no one has anything to say about this. Lemme think, now why wouldn't anyone know anything about any of these questions?

I think I have it! No one has seen a PC build in action!

I really want to love Brink, and I've got money sitting here that I could throw down on a pre-order right this minute. But it's not going to happen until I get some solid answers to these kinds of questions. And I don't want to hear "Oh, it's Splash Damage. They are PC people." Epic and People Can Fly were PC People too, and look at the PC version of Bulletstorm. Or the PC version of Borderlands. Or a lot of other FPS shooters that have been released lately by dev houses that started on the PC side. I'm not even really that concerned about graphics configuration options. Just give me the control options that were standard for years.

Drake on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hold on, dude. You'll get some proper impressions. Patience

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

What makes you think that we will?

no worries on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And I don't want to hear "Oh, it's Splash Damage. They are PC people." Epic and People Can Fly were PC People too, and look at the PC version of Bulletstorm. Or the PC version of Borderlands. Or a lot of other FPS shooters that have been released lately by dev houses that started on the PC side. I'm not even really that concerned about graphics configuration options. Just give me the control options that were standard for years.
    How about "They're idTech people, not Unreal people?" Is that one okay?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no worries wrote: »

Maybe we won't. Then he'll have to wait for reviews. Would that be so bad?

You know, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" and all.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a dream last night. That i was playing Brink.

But i couldnt see my computer monitor.

I could only see an outside view of my face.

This was the Expression on it:
    smile.jpg

Talkc on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no worries wrote: »

Maybe we won't. Then he'll have to wait for reviews. Would that be so bad?

You know, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" and all.

It's just frustrating seeing people playing this at conventions, but for some reason they won't even have a limited showing of the PC build for the press. Seems like questions about the PC version just get handwaved.

It doesn't inspire confidence. Lack of confidence means that I don't buy it until the price is appropriate for the content. If it lacks basic control configuration, like many cross platform developed games do, then the price I'm willing to pay is somewhere under twenty dollars.

And I bet that idtech can be butchered just as easily as any other engine. Once they have purchased the rights to the engine, they can remove any functionality they wish.

Sorry I have some legitimate concerns. I'll let you guys get back to praising a game that hasn't even been released yet.

Drake on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might be wrong here, but didn't they say that controls would be fully customizable on all platforms?

I thought I remembered reading that.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, do we have it confirmed that Press didn't get anything more than what was on the show floor?

Edit: Also, wasn't there a Brink event at the Harbor or something? Maybe that had a PC somewhere.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure they did.

Also, guessing they show the console version a lot because they assume it's the market they need to break into, plus it's easy to demo on consoles.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure they did.

Also, guessing they show the console version a lot because they assume it's the market they need to break into, plus it's easy to demo on consoles.

And also because mouse acceleration is on by default and can't be changed, and they've removed all graphics options.
    And since people in this thread are having problems reading sarcasm, I'll make that a bit more obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n0vBcW5fc

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I do understand the concern, since we've been burned by formerly staunch PC developers so many times. However, I'm still cautiously optimistic until I hear otherwise. If it gets to the end of April and we STILL haven't heard any details about the PC version though, THEN I will be concerned.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I do understand the concern, since we've been burned by formerly staunch PC developers so many times. However, I'm still cautiously optimistic until I hear otherwise. If it gets to the end of April and we STILL haven't heard any details about the PC version though, THEN I will be concerned.

Which details would you like to hear first, the completely P2P multiplayer model, or the incredibly obnoxious new DRM? :P

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I might be wrong here, but didn't they say that controls would be fully customizable on all platforms?
    I think they did, including something about being able to adjust the response curve on the analog sticks. And I gotta say, that is a pretty cool feature.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have decided, that with my preorder bonus... i am going to start Brink by wearing no shirt, the 'Sloani' rubber mask, and whatever pants i get to start with. And i will introduce myself in team chat by imitating the Pyro from Tf2.

I will be: The Gimp

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Which details would you like to hear first, the completely P2P multiplayer model, or the incredibly obnoxious new DRM? :P

I'd prefer the complete lack of mouse support news first :P

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It will also only run at 1280x720.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It will also only run at 1280x720.

The multiplayer will be driven by Steamworks, Gamespy and GFWL simultaneously. You will be required to login three times to be allowed online, and a failure in one service will axe the entire game.

subedii on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's not about controls, it's about having the same stable hardware and not having to deal with compatibility/resolution/etc issues in a convention demo.
    So let's talk about something else. Like how cool Brink is.

I wouldn't expect a PC demo for the masses. Just for some of the PC-centric sites out there, so us PC players can get some impressions specific to the platform that we care about.

I want to know if mouse acceleration is enabled by default. I want to know that if this is the case, how hard is it to turn off? Will I be forced to edit ini files? Will there be an option to turn it off in a menu? Will there be multiple keyboard functions bound to a single key? Will I be able to bind these functions to different keys, splitting them up for better control? There are real issues here, that affect whether or not this is a day one purchase for me or if I wait for the price to drop.

Brink has fully customizable controls on all three platforms.

It has been said in interviews that Brink is being developed for all three platforms at the same time. There is no port.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure they did.

The guys at Splash Damage also said from the get go that they wanted to make a console FPS that was of the finest quality. Something akin to all of the great FPS's the PC already enjoys. I think they're demoing the console version to show off how well they've done, to see how well they've nailed it. With their pedigree, I wouldn't be concerned at the lack of a PC demo if I were a PC gamer.

Wish they did a beta though. Like if you pre-order. If the game's supposedly coming out on May 17, is it too late for a beta?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure they did.

The guys at Splash Damage also said from the get go that they wanted to make a console FPS that was of the finest quality. Something akin to all of the great FPS's the PC already enjoys. I think they're demoing the console version to show off how well they've done, to see how well they've nailed it. With their pedigree, I wouldn't be concerned at the lack of a PC demo if I were a PC gamer.

Wish they did a beta though. Like if you pre-order. If the game's supposedly coming out on May 17, is it too late for a beta?

There was an extended beta for the ps3 version. It was private, like most betas, and I think it is over. The ps3 is more difficult to develop for or something. So they did an extended beta for the ps3 version.

I don't quite know how much time it takes to publish a game. If the game is coming out May 17, you have to factor in shipping time, printing time, probably some time for PSN and XBL... I don't know how it works.

I wonder if there is going to be anything new? Was there a press event at Pax East this year?

I'm trying to remember when the media stuff amped up for Fallout New Vegas. Bethesda is publishing Brink too, so perhaps their marketing strategy for NV could offer clues. We are little more than two months away from release.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So Amazon still doesn't have release date delivery. I pre-ordered it anyway, do they notify you if different shipping options become available or do I just need to check back every so often to see if it has become available?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    potentially NSFW Something Awful Brink Thread

We were talking about this a few pages ago. Some of the devs hang out at SA. I am not a goon, but I go there some times. It is useful for tidbits like this:
    Your bodytype is locked to your character whilst in game, as are your chosen abilities. You can select a different class, or change your primary/secondary weapons at a command post. However you cannot change which attachments those weapons have on them or which character you are using at the command post, only in the main menu.

This is really interesting. I guess you pick a character before you join a game. You are then locked to that character. You cannot change your character, or his abilities, in-game. However, you can have your character change his tool kit or whatever. So I could make a character named Bob, who I made to be the ideal engineer. I could switch Tom's kit from engineer to soldier, but I can't change to any of my other characters, like Needles the Medic or Bill the soldier or Baldie the Operative.

Hmm

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Needles the medic, i like that. Makes picture Flea from the chili peppers doing parkour and calling people "chicken"

(posting this from my new iphone, so cool :D)

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No changing of attachments in-game? That is an odd choice. I guess if you've got a good assortment of weapons to choose from it may not matter, but still, odd.

I remain concerned about being locked to a single body type for an entire round. What happens if your team has too many lites? or too many heavies? Will you be at a severe disadvantage (or advantage) if one team is disproportionately one body type, while the other is balanced among all three?

And if I want to change my body type / abilities in-between rounds, do I have to disconnect from the server to do so (potentially losing my spot on the server)? Saying that customization happens only in the main menu leads me to believe this will be the case :?

Concern level: rising.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I get the feeling they're going for a RPG feel here. Like you have several characters (like Wow, say) and they have certain permanent and semi-permanent attributes.

Before heading into a server you choose which you want to "play" and take them with you. Class and weapon load-outs are changeable on the fly, but not the character you chose to bring.

I can see the concern over a team of lights or heavies, but maybe the law of averages says that won't be a problem. Leaving a server full of friends to choose another character sounds worrisome, but also not in line at all with their other objectives. So I'm guessing we don't have all the facts.

no worries on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good thing I'll be playing medium eh

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No changing of attachments in-game? That is an odd choice. I guess if you've got a good assortment of weapons to choose from it may not matter, but still, odd.

I remain concerned about being locked to a single body type for an entire round. What happens if your team has too many lites? or too many heavies? Will you be at a severe disadvantage (or advantage) if one team is disproportionately one body type, while the other is balanced among all three?

And if I want to change my body type / abilities in-between rounds, do I have to disconnect from the server to do so (potentially losing my spot on the server)? Saying that customization happens only in the main menu leads me to believe this will be the case :?

Concern level: rising.

It makes sense that you can't customize weapons in the middle of a game.

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.