As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small town girl visiting new york.

2»

• Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone mentioned previously: she shouldn't stand in the middle of the sidewalk and gawk at shit. Get to the side. On escalators, people will be trying to walk up, so get to the side.

Subways can get you everywhere, so she should pick up an unlimited metro-card.

As far as general safety goes, normal things like don't cut into the dark, secluded alleys at 4 in the morning, be aware of one's surroundings, and look like you know what's going on around you even if you don't all apply.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CJTheran wrote: »
    As someone mentioned previously: she shouldn't stand in the middle of the sidewalk and gawk at shit. Get to the side. On escalators, people will be trying to walk up, so get to the side.
    walk left stand right

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My advice is generally to just be aware of your surroundings. Being oblivious may have the following ramifications:

a) People may knock you over because they, too, are oblivious.

b) You might get annoying people trying to talk to you, sell you shit, throw fliers in your face, get you to come to their comedy club, or hand you their crappy hip-hop CDs and then try to get you to pay for it after handing it to you.

c) Be aware of creepsters. Your sister is a 21 year old model. She's going to get a disproportionate amount of attention.

d) Be ESPECIALLY aware of creepsters on the subway. They are fucking terrible.

e) Do not dawdle at the top of staircases, at the bottom of staircases, in the middle of staircases, in the middle of the sidewalk, in the middle of the street, or anywhere.

f) Be wary of cyclists. People on bicycles don't act like traffic laws apply to them in NYC.

The city isn't that scary. It's a fun place. I don't really know what I would recommend your sister sees as far as landmarks are concerned. There are hundreds so it depends on what she's interested in. Architecture? Go see the Empire State and Flatiron buildings. Art? Moma, Natural History Museum, or The Met. Hipsterism? East/West Village. Alcohol? Point anywhere on a map of NYC.

Hell I think I've seen like 1% of the stuff NYC has to offer and I've lived here for 30 years. There's always something to see or do.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks a ton, everyone. You've been very helpful.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    And if she sees the Cloverfield monster, do not go into the subways or high up.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And if she sees the Cloverfield monster, do not go into the subways or high up.

Avoid falling heads of statues; avoid monsters; avoid Hammerdown protocols. Other than that your sister will have a great time, my girlfriend loved her trip there a few years back and will go back the first chance she gets.

Kronus on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't go out drinking in Manhattan, it is a colossal waste of money.

Come to Brooklyn instead.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some people are irrationally scared of the big city. Just don't be dumb (3AM drunk staggering through Central Park) and you'll be fine.

There's literally no reason to carry shittons of cash in NYC. You can even use your debit card on the subway and in cabs.

Im also echoing Southstreet Seaport and museums. Water Taxi beach is pretty fun on the brooklyn side this time of year. You can grab the water taxi at the seaport.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is also quite gangster.

She SHOULD carry cash, as a lot of eateries, shops and the like are cash-only.

This is truth. New York has the most cash only businesses that I've ever seen (used to live there.) Especially when it comes to cheaper restaurants (think deli's and pizza places) and bodega's.

geckahn on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some people are irrationally scared of the big city. Just don't be dumb (3AM drunk staggering through Central Park) and you'll be fine.

There's literally no reason to carry shittons of cash in NYC. You can even use your debit card on the subway and in cabs.

Im also echoing Southstreet Seaport and museums. Water Taxi beach is pretty fun on the brooklyn side this time of year. You can grab the water taxi at the seaport.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is also quite gangster.

She SHOULD carry cash, as a lot of eateries, shops and the like are cash-only.

She SHOULDNT carry a SHITTON of cash. Unless she's taking a trip to Peter Lugar's, those cash only places are also places where having $50 in your pocket means you are good to go.

(This of course only applies if she is afraid of being mugged. If otherwise, carry what you feel like.)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

There are plenty of places in Manhattan where you can drink all night for a measly amount of money, right in [strike]Tourist[/strike] Times Square even. And not to sound creepy, but for a 21 year old model, the amount of money she'd need to spend would likely drop considerably if she's at all friendly. :P

Drez on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Drez wrote: »

There are plenty of places in Manhattan where you can drink all night for a measly amount of money, right in [strike]Tourist[/strike] Times Square even. And not to sound creepy, but for a 21 year old model, the amount of money she'd need to spend would likely drop considerably if she's at all friendly. :P

If shes not alone its not too bad but its getting into courting disaster territory being a cock-tease.

I found San Fran prices very good but im from the UK and this was back when a pound was worth 2 dollars. That strip club was very, very good for my money.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drez wrote: »

If shes not alone its not too bad but its getting into courting disaster territory being a cock-tease.

I found San Fran prices very good but im from the UK and this was back when a pound was worth 2 dollars. That strip club was very, very good for my money.

I don't mean haphazard flirting to procure free drinks - bankers flaunt money all the time, offer to buy drinks for people they don't know. Of course it depends on where you go and who is around. Nothing wrong with accepting a free drink. I've bought. I've accepted too. People in this thread seem to be painting this picture of NYC being a scary place full of creeps and assholes that if you look anyone in the eye funny they'll decapitate you. Sure, we have some crazies, but it's a rather friendly place overall.

Also it's not really necessary to go to Brooklyn for better deals anyway (and it depends on what you want to drink and till what time). There's so many places in the city itself with great happy hour deals every night and sometimes "happy hour" can last until closing.

Here's a good site that I don't really use anymore, but someone coming to the city for a bit might get some use out of it: http://drinkdeal.com/

Anyway the point I totally forgot to make was that if this girl is new to NYC and she's actually staying IN the city itself, it might not be the best idea to go blindly traipsing around Brooklyn just for better drink prices. Brooklyn is cool but you need to either know your way around or have some kind of guide with you who knows his/her way around.

I do recommend Williamsburg though. 'Cause I love that part of Brooklyn.

Drez on