Options

EU surpasses USA in GDP since January 1st

Juergen HubertJuergen Hubert Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
According to the statistics of the IMF and the World Bank, anyway (though according to the CIA World Factbook statistics, the USA is still ahead). The new membership of Bulgaria and Romania pushed the EU to the top.

Of course, the global influence such economic power would translate into is mostly used up in internal squabbles between the individual member states, but such is life in Europe... ;)

UrbisBanner.jpg
Juergen Hubert on

• Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Of course, the global influence such economic power would translate into is mostly used up in internal squabbles between the individual member states, but such is life in Europe... ;)
    You should channel that economic power into more productive ends, such as enormously expensive invasions and occupations of random foreign countries you've never heard of.

I suggest the Federated States of Micronesia.

I mean, seriously, just look at that name. It's just so sinister-sounding. How much longer will Europe continue to ignore the clear continental security threat posed by the Federated States of Micronesia?

mcc on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    You should channel that economic power into more productive ends, such as enormously expensive invasions and occupations of random foreign countries you've never heard of.

I suggest the Federated States of Micronesia.

I mean, seriously, just look at that name. How much longer will Europe continue to ignore the clear continental security threat posed by the Federated States of Micronesia?

:lol:

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:

I dunno - I've heard of a lot of countries. It will be hard to find some we are completely unaware of.

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    According to the statistics of the IMF and the World Bank, anyway (though according to the CIA World Factbook statistics, the USA is still ahead). The new membership of Bulgaria and Romania pushed the EU to the top.

United States - population 300 million
    European Union - population 460 million

US GDP growth 2006 - 3.3%
    EU GDP growht 2006 - 2.6%

*sarcastic clapping*

Shinto on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh god, at first I read the "EU" as "EA" so I was like WHAT ELECTRONIC ARTS IS RICHER THAN THE US? then I realised EA's money would be considered as part of the GDP of USA

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:

Well, the GDP of the EU can still grow faster than that of the USA in the future - all we need is gobble up new members fast enough... ;)

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:

Well, the GDP of the EU can still grow faster than that of the USA in the future - all we need is gobble up new members fast enough... ;)

How has Merkel been doing? I know that the eastern nations are growing pretty well. I've more or less given up on France.

Germany always seems like it might get going again though.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    How has Merkel been doing? I know that the eastern nations are growing pretty well. I've more or less given up on France.

I'm not really happy with what she has been doing. On one hand, lots of needed reforms just don't seem to happen, despite the fact that the current coalition government has a very stable majority. On the other hand, the government pushed through an absolutely needless 3% VAT hike "to consolidate government finances" despite the fact that government earnings are strongly on the upswing anyway for a change. (In my opinion, if you have to increase taxes, it should be done with fuel and energy taxes, since that encourages people and companies to be innovative with reducing reliance on limited resources, instead of VAT, which just chokes consumer spending in general.)

Apart from that, the economy is actually doing fairly well at the moment. Germany has been the world's leading export nation for several years in a row, and the companies are finally starting to hire again - in fact, now they have problems finding people with the skills they need. That doesn't help the average long-term unemployed, but it is a start...

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:

Or we could just be more effective with our resourcing and work better together as an actually European Union, whilst keeping more jobs within the countries and therefore having more profit coming back into the EU....

HaHaHaHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...aaaaah *wipes tear away* I slay me!

Johannen on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doesn't the US fiddle with its GDP anyway to make it seem as if it is the richest nation? I think I remember my geograghy teacher telling me that.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Doesn't the US fiddle with its GDP anyway to make it seem as if it is the richest nation? I think I remember my geograghy teacher telling me that.
    I don't think you can trust any statistics coming out of the US Government. Everything is apparently subject to redefinition, political appeal and general wankery. It's like _J_ runs the joint or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I don't see how this really means anything at all. The EU is not a single entity in any way except on paper. In fact, the fact that without Bulgaria and Romania the GDP of every member nation combined was LESS that the GDP of the USA, a single nation, speaks far more than this.

Adding more countries and getting a higher number doesn't make the US any less powerful in the world economy.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh, and Jurgen, how many EU nations have certain things legalized that are still criminal in the US?

Marijuana is a good example, I believe it's legal in at least some of the EU nations. There might be other things.

The pot industry in America is pretty profitable, but of course it isn't counted in our GDP.

Edit: Prostitution is also onlylegal in Nevada here, so that's another one that I think might be legal in some EU countries but (for the most part) is left out of our GDP.

Evander on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Soo... a collection of 27 different countries has a GDP that is a bit higher then then the United States, a single country?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    Oh, and Jurgen, how many EU nations have certain things legalized that are still criminal in the US?

Marijuana is a good example, I believe it's legal in at least some of the EU nations. There might be other things.

The pot industry in America is pretty profitable, but of course it isn't counted in our GDP.

Edit: Prostitution is also onlylegal in Nevada here, so that's another one that I think might be legal in some EU countries but (for the most part) is left out of our GDP.

If you're thinking about amsterdam, then it's still illegal it's just tolerated more. And besides, doesn't the money made from these things trickle into the GDP anyhow because it allows for more consumption.

Rook on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Soo... a collection of 27 different countries has a GDP that is a bit higher then then the United States, a single country?
    I don't think that's a very fair comparison.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

the way i see it is that if it takes 27 of them to make one of us, we still win!

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:

I'm not really happy with what she has been doing. On one hand, lots of needed reforms just don't seem to happen, despite the fact that the current coalition government has a very stable majority. On the other hand, the government pushed through an absolutely needless 3% VAT hike "to consolidate government finances" despite the fact that government earnings are strongly on the upswing anyway for a change. (In my opinion, if you have to increase taxes, it should be done with fuel and energy taxes, since that encourages people and companies to be innovative with reducing reliance on limited resources, instead of VAT, which just chokes consumer spending in general.)

Apart from that, the economy is actually doing fairly well at the moment. Germany has been the world's leading export nation for several years in a row, and the companies are finally starting to hire again - in fact, now they have problems finding people with the skills they need. That doesn't help the average long-term unemployed, but it is a start...

How high is VAT/taxes in general in Germany?

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    How high is VAT/taxes in general in Germany?

Now it is 19% for most things, though books, food, and a couple of other items still have a reduced rate of 7%.

Juergen Hubert on
    UrbisBanner.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Don't see why not.

Unless they merge into a single SuperEurope country, they're still just indavidual nations who have formed a trade group with each other.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Don't see why not.

Unless they merge into a single SuperEurope country, they're still just indavidual nations who have formed a trade group with each other.

The EU is a lot different from the EEC.

Rook on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't see why not.

But that "trade group" is the thing - in theory the 27 member nations (and especially the 15 Euro nations) are no less unified economically than the 50 states.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Don't see why not.

But that "trade group" is the thing - in theory the 27 member nations (and especially the 15 Euro nations) are no less unified economically than the 50 states.

I have a feeling that theory doesn't entirely hold up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aside from not all countries using the Euro (and thus not all following the policies of the German central bank), and the older members putting some restrictions on the mobility of labour from the poorer new members, the single market is pretty much unaffected by national borders.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Aside from not all countries using the Euro (and thus not all following the policies of the German central bank), and the older members putting some restrictions on the mobility of labour from the poorer new members, the single market is pretty much unaffected by national borders.

True to a point, which is why it's more relevant to compare stats a la Shinto.

The population of the EU is 50% higher than that of the US. Their GDP, then, should be 50% higher than that of the US. It isn't. It's just about equal.

GDP isn't the only thing that makes a nation economically powerful, and so the fact that the EU's is just now passing the US's is neither impressive nor remarkable.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, it has some economic significance.

But I think this economic measurement is really a way of highlighting not their relative economic power, but the incredible achievement of their economic and political integration.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Yes, I am completely leaving aside the fact that the EU has to deal with a much larger population and a slow rate of growth.

I'm just talking about the fact that, ideally, being in Texas and doing business with someone in Maryland is the same as being in France and doing business with someone in Estonia. That is, comparing the U.S. to the EU is valid and not the same as saying "27 random countries have a combined GDP larger than the U.S."

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Evander wrote:

If you're thinking about amsterdam, then it's still illegal it's just tolerated more. And besides, doesn't the money made from these things trickle into the GDP anyhow because it allows for more consumption.

How does illegal activity allow for more consumption any more than legal activity? Marijuana and Prostitution arenot intermediate goods or services, so, if there WERE legal, they'd be counted in GDP. Since they aren't legal, but might bein some European countries, I was just pointing out that these results, which do not look to good on Europe, do not even include those "industires" for the US.

If I'm wrong about them being legal SOMEWHERE then ignore my point.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Yes, I am completely leaving aside the fact that the EU has to deal with a much larger population and a slow rate of growth.

I'm just talking about the fact that, ideally, being in Texas and doing business with someone in Maryland is the same as being in France and doing business with someone in Estonia. That is, comparing the U.S. to the EU is valid and not the same as saying "27 random countries have a combined GDP larger than the U.S."

Yes and no.

Living here in Maryland, Texas might be far away, but I also recognize it as part of my same country. If I decide it is important for me "Buy American", there is no difference to me between a supplier in Maryland versus a suplier in Texas.

I don't see the same kind of Nationalism displayed towards the EU in it's entirety, just within the individual nations to themselves.

Also, are any sort of importing or exporting taxes or fees waived between members of the EU?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    In my opinion, if you have to increase taxes, it should be done with fuel and energy taxes, since that encourages people and companies to be innovative with reducing reliance on limited resources

Sounds kind of counter-productive. If you NEED the increased tax revenue, then you want to put the increased taxes on something that you know will continue to bring in that revenue for you. Putting taxes on something in order to encourage reduction in its usage would also lead to reduction i the ammount of tax revenue from it, defeating the purpose.

Taxing something as a deterent can be a very useful tactic, but not when you are increasing taxes because you need the revenue.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    Also, are any sort of importing or exporting taxes or fees waived between members of the EU?
    Um, yeah, that's kind of the entire point of the EU. Hence the comparisons between the U.S. and the EU economically.

It has nothing to do with "nationalism". To do business between France and Estonia is intended to be as easy as doing business between Texas and Maryland. If you are Irish and you decide you want to work in Spain, it is as easy as moving from New York to Georgia and taking a new job there, and completely different from moving from Brazil and looking for work in Germany. Or at least that is the intention.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Evander wrote:

How does illegal activity allow for more consumption any more than legal activity? Marijuana and Prostitution arenot intermediate goods or services, so, if there WERE legal, they'd be counted in GDP. Since they aren't legal, but might bein some European countries, I was just pointing out that these results, which do not look to good on Europe, do not even include those "industires" for the US.

If I'm wrong about them being legal SOMEWHERE then ignore my point.

Yeah, it's only Switzerland (not part of the EU) where buying/selling is totally legal. Netherlands it's illegal to possess/buy/sell but ignored. In Spain it's legal to grow for home use but illegal to buy/sell.

And I can't see how you can argue on prostitution since the laws are always weird, and it's just as legal in places in the U.S. as it is in places in the E.U.

Overall though, neither of these would make much life altering differences to the value of the GDP for either block though.

And my point was not that you get more money from it, but that money ends up going somewhere else eventually anyways. I might sell you the drugs, but I still end up spending that money on things that contribute towards the GDP? It's not like the U.S. has an entire black market I could live off

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Evander wrote:
    Um, yeah, that's kind of the entire point of the EU. Hence the comparisons between the U.S. and the EU economically.

It has nothing to do with "nationalism". To do business between France and Estonia is intended to be as easy as doing business between Texas and Maryland. If you are Irish and you decide you want to work in Spain, it is as easy as moving from New York to Georgia and taking a new job there, and completely different from moving from Brazil and looking for work in Germany. Or at least that is the intention.

That's why I asked.

Anyway, I see your point, but I think there is some small difference between business across seperate states in the US and seperate countries in the EU. It may be minimal difference, but I get the feeling something is there. In the US state governments don't fight with each other, for one. State Congressmen and Senators might, but that is wholely seperate from the legislators that run the states.

Also, does what you are saying mean that any citizen of any EU nation is automatically entitled to citizenship in any other EU nation as soon as they move there?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    And my point was not that you get more money from it, but that money ends up going somewhere else eventually anyways. I might sell you the drugs, but I still end up spending that money on things that contribute towards the GDP? It's not like the U.S. has an entire black market I could live off

I understand, but my point, in response, was that the same could be said for Televisions, or Apples, or Dog Walking Services. The portion of the revenue that ultimately goes to the employees in any of these situations doesn't just stop there, it goes somewhere else too.

Evander on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just the fact that someone moving work from Ireland to Spain would have to learn an entirely new language is pretty significant I think, not even getting into dealing with different legal systems, citizenship issues, etc.

I mean, I know that Europeans in general know more languages than us, but I doubt anyone speaks all the languages used in the EU.

Scooter on
  • Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Just the fact that someone moving work from Ireland to Spain would have to learn an entirely new language is pretty significant I think, not even getting into dealing with different legal systems, citizenship issues, etc.

I mean, I know that Europeans in general know more languages than us, but I doubt anyone speaks all the languages used in the EU.

My understanding is that the language issue is a pretty big problem. That is to say, when the EU makes a proclamation, they do it originally in something like French, English, or German, and then they have translators put it into the other languages. Problem is, they don't have people who know every combination of two languages, so for people in Estonia, their shit is sometimes translated from French -> English -> Estonian, and that's when shit gets freaky.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    Also, does what you are saying mean that any citizen of any EU nation is automatically entitled to citizenship in any other EU nation as soon as they move there?
    Not citizenship, but employment and, I believe, state programs (welfare, etc.). Most of this doesn't apply to the new members though, as the old states have erected some barriers to reduce "immigration" and allow for a transition.

Basically, an Italian citizen can live and work in Belgium without having to worry about citizenship, a visa, etc.
    Scooter wrote:
    Yes, but those aren't structural issues or government enforced barriers. If I wanted to work in the U.K. I wouldn't need to deal with a new language or a different legal system, but I would have a lot of trouble with getting a work visa and everything else (the things the Irishman doesn't need to go through).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:

Yeah, language barriers could even get in the way of simple business deals.

Evander on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    never mind

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Evander wrote:
    Rook wrote:

I understand, but my point, in response, was that the same could be said for Televisions, or Apples, or Dog Walking Services. The portion of the revenue that ultimately goes to the employees in any of these situations doesn't just stop there, it goes somewhere else too.

Right, which is the entire point of GDP. Or have I missed something.

Rook on