As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I get a Wii? (Have PS3, PSP, 360 and monster PC)

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
So I was at this after work thing with a few friends/colleagues at a friends place and he had a Wii so the five of us played some Bowling and a little Tennis. Good fun so this got me thinking :!:

When the Wii came out I discarded it as a Gamecube with a novelty controller but perhaps I should reconsider. I see one can get it in cool black now with a second Sports title thrown in but are there also titles of a more hard core gamer type not blown away by what is on the other platforms? What I'm looking for here is a true gamer perspective on the thing especially a perspective taking into consideration I have most of the other current platforms already.

In other words - should I get a Wii or maybe wait to see what Sony and Microsoft brings out or?

Also how much floor space does the Wii games take up? All my current gear, except the PSP, is hooked up to a monitor on my Desk with room enough for two chairs which can roll out of the way and I'm guessing Wii games will required more space.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
BlindZenDriver on

• Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WTF is a true gamer?

delphinus on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    delphinus wrote: »
    WTF is a true gamer?

Teh Hardcorz.

A Wii is honestly worth it. There's plenty of great exclusives, and decent exclusives, so make it worth buying, but it depends on if you like their first party stuff. Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Monster Hunter Tri, Zelda, Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you can find it) are all stellar. Not good, not great, stellar.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Depends. I always end up buying a console when there's a console specific game that I know I really want to play on it. I know that not everyone has the luxury of having more than one console but that doesn't seem to be a problem you have. For me the the big draw games that convinced me I was getting a Wii were Fire Emblem and (the promise of) Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. I now have a significant selection of games that I really enjoy on it.

I also have a decent PC, 360 and PS3 like yourself.

Basically I'm saying if you think there are some Wii games you would like, then buy it. Honestly though, if bowling and tennis are the big selling points for you, then I would have to say no. You'll just end up one of those people complaining about how their Wii is collecting dust because they don't have anything besides Wii sports for it.

Valleo on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, if it were a question to get a 360/PS3/PC when you already have even one of the others, it'd be silly, but the Wii is pretty well differentiated from pretty much everything else. And they just started bundling in Wii Sports Resort. Though maaaaybe you might want to wait to see if anything happens at E3 in a month?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey if you've got the spare cash then go for it. Picking it up this late in the gen means you can pick up on the great games you missed since release. I'd probably say wait till there's the summer lull in PS3/360 games that way you can spend your time enjoying the Wii while waiting for the fall season game rush.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you like Nintendo's stuff, then definitely buy one. If you're not a big fan, then it gets a bit more iffy. There are good games on the Wii that aren't by Nintendo, but they're mostly niche stuff like Trauma Team, light gun games, and WiiWare ($5-$15 download games). I'm glad I have a Wii, but it's more of a nice bonus to my regular XBox 360/PSP/PC gaming rather than a crucial element.

If you're using a tiny setup like a desk with a monitor, that's another thing to consider - I can't imagine that the Wii remote works very well unless you're using a traditional couch/TV setup.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you have the cash the Wii has some great first party titles, and takes up very little shelf space.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have more Wii games than, say, PS3.
    There's a lot of good stuff on the console.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hm. Seems like, from your post, that you didn't like the gamecube. The wii might not be for you, then. Both are great systems with great exclusives, but if you didn't like one, you probably won't like the other?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    delphinus wrote: »
    WTF is a true gamer?

liljon1--article_image.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd advise you not to. I'm in the same boat as you and have a Wii - or as I call it, the white dust collector.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Hm. Seems like, from your post, that you didn't like the gamecube. The wii might not be for you, then. Both are great systems with great exclusives, but if you didn't like one, you probably won't like the other?
    The Gamecube library and the Wii library really doesn't compare, in lots of ways. If OP really is a hardcore and true gamer he probably should have all consoles so he'll never miss out on games.

Zell on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just go look at the titles available, read some reviews, and such. There's a lot of good games, first party, third party, on wii ware, and on virtual console. I own more wii games than 360 games, and I don't own a ps3. It just depends on your taste, and how much spare cash you've got laying around.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, fact of the matter is, my Wii has a huge amount of playtime in it, while my 360 tends to languish and cry itself to sleep because I have trouble finding stuff for it for which I can justify to myself the 60€ it costs. I would consider it very, very worth it. But when you say something like this
    but are there also titles of a more hard core gamer type not blown away by what is on the other platforms? What I'm looking for here is a true gamer perspective on the thing especially a perspective taking into consideration I have most of the other current platforms already.

I get the feeling you and I don't see the same games as "worth it", so my tastes are likely not applicable here. So, what kind of games do you like?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd probably advise against it. Our Wii literally just sits there doing nothing, and the last time I actually played it was the Metroid Prime Trilogy (which I nuderstand isn't normally available anymore). It's fun for a while, but there is a huge amount of drivle and everyone seems to own the same games as there are only a small amouont of genuinely good ones.

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you all for the input.

I realize I need to elaborate a bit on what I meant with "true gamer"/"hard core gamer". First of all let me start by making it clear it was in no way meant as putting anyone's gaming habits down - please take into account that English is my third language. What I tried to say with the "true gamer"/"hard core gamer" phrases is to sort of describe one that has been gaming for years, usually on high difficulty settings, where games trying to be all for all men is often lacking in challenge. If the Wii games are like that then, apart form the new control scheme, I fear there is little long time fun to be had.

An example of a "too easy" game in my book would be Halo on PC. Partly due to the faster and more precise control method of mouse+keyboard but also the whole shield system I found Halo to be fun but a lot less than it could have been if it would have been a challenge. Same thing with the GTA games.

Random examples of games I enjoy: S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Wipeout, Tempest 2000, Echochrome, GT, PGR-series, UT99...

Finally: Nobody responded to my floor space question. Is that because it is a stupid question or will I be fine with just the space in front of my desk (for two, maybe three players max)?

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it depends on the games you want to play. If you're looking for the wii bowling experience, etc I dunno man I'd find it kind of cramped. If you want to play the more "core" games like the marios, zeldas, metroids, etc you'll be fine obviously.

I guess the best way to find out is to stand in that space and swing your arms around like a jackass :D

Honestly I have a wii and I'm glad I own one for the times that my wife and kid want to play mario party, and NSMB but most of the time it's just getting used as a glorified scale using wii fit. Monster Hunter: Tri seems pretty hardcore though!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The console itself doesn't take up that much space but if you get motion sensitive games (like, more than just waggling the remote quickly ala Mario Galaxy) then you'll need more space (especially for bowling or boxing).

There are some challenging titles on the Wii, the prime trilogy is up there and so is Little Kings Story and Zack and Wiki if you find them interesting.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stand in front of your TV and swing your arms around. Did you hit anything? No? You probably have enough room.

Do you have family, or roommates that would like to play Wii with you? That would probably be the big decider here. Whereas PC and Console titles you can play with your friends online, Wii is more of a sharing the couch experience. While I love me some Mario Galaxy and a few other single player titles, the same-console multi-player is where the fun is. My roommate hates the Wii and sold his, but he still loves playing co-op on New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If nothing else, this year is gonna be great for the Wii when the Nintendo top-3 strikes again (Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, and likely the new Zelda game).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did you like Mario64, Zelda: OoT, Metroid: Prime and Smash Bros Melee?

If the answer is yes then get a Wii. All the sequels (except Metroid as it's not out yet) are amazing.

Other than Punch Out! and Wii Sports I've not really played a motion-based game that was worth the effort but there are some awesome first party titles and virtual console games!

Also, it sounds like you'll enjoy Monster Hunter Tri which has a pretty steep learning curve but is extremely rewarding...be sure to get a classic controller for it though.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a Wii when it first came out, I got all the top rated games and a few others, beat them all in under a month and then nothing came out that I wanted for about 8 months so I sold it. I think the only game I bought after the initial games was SSBB which is an alright game with a completely broken online multiplayer system that is hamstrung even further by nintendos ignorance of online play and what people want.

Anyways if you have any desire to play an online game keep in mind that it will usually not be possible or be severely limited on the Wii. I just don't think there are enough good games to purchase the console, maybe borrow it from a friend.

I have a 360 and a PC and have a huge backlog of amazing games that I still need to beat. If you are really just itching to play some awesome games hit up metacritic.com and see what you are missing, I am sure there are a few games.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ehh...i've played mario kart, smash Bros and monster Hunter completely without trouble.

Granted the online system pales in comparison to xbox live or most pc games but it's always worked for me just fine.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Friend codes, I hope the person who thought that was the way to do it dies a painful death. Something with acid and rusty nails in the eyes.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's another thing to consider - do you have time for another console? There are exclusive games worth playing on all of the systems, but if you already own 3-4 systems and have trouble keeping up with releases, then you probably shouldn't pick up another system.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can you even hook your wii to your monitor? (Does it have component in?)

I have all the same systems you have and just recently got a wii. Honestly I was going to wait till the wii2 or wiiHD but my wife wanted one and Monster Hunter was calling to me so I bought it. I don't regret buying it but it is pretty underwhelming. (Looks pretty horrible on a 60" TV)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, even at 480p it looks pretty bad on a 50" DLP. However on my in-law's TV (like a 32" Tube TV) it looks really crisp. Kinda makes me sad.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My experience with the Wii was very disappointing. I had it for like 3 years and the only game I had fun with was the one I picked up with it, being Twilight Princess. Though I wouldn't even recommend that as it's so easy and apparently not what you're looking for.

I could see some of the games being a benefit if you're trying to game some with people who aren't normally into gaming, but if it's mostly just for yourself then I wouldn't waste the money unless you see a game on the list that wows you.

Adus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you like Nintendo's stuff, then definitely buy one. If you're not a big fan, then it gets a bit more iffy.

Pretty much this.

And if you're looking for a challenge, Mario Galaxy 2 is reportedly pretty darn tough.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd advise you not to. I'm in the same boat as you and have a Wii - or as I call it, the white dust collector.

Seriously, even with all the Nintendo games, I'm hard pressed to even play the darn thing. If you want a Nintendo system, go with the DS.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This guy sounds like he literally owns all the software he can handle on everything else.

If that's the case, then hell yes I'd throw 400$ at a Wii and some exclusives.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you enjoy enough Wii games, go right ahead. It's not too pricey, I'd say.

I personally do not, between the Wii and Gamecube, which is why I don't own a Wii. I'm in a very similar lot to you, having the Xbox 360, PS3, and a pretty tough gaming machine (not a PSP though).

Personally, I think the DS might be a stronger buy. I am no longer a handheld guy, but if I was, I'd be all over it. Also, friend codes suck and are horrible.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you haven't played any Wii games before, there are a lot of good titles out right now.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    JimmyNavioJimmyNavio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a Wii from day 1, played the hell out of it until the novelty wore off and I beat all of my games.
    Sold it (along with all of my games and accessories) to buy a bike. Started riding to work every day and lost 10 pounds.

Most of my game time was spent on my PS3 or PC. The Wii only came out when we had my wife's younger siblings over.
    They were sad when I sold it, but now I have them hooked on Flower and Plants VS Zombies, so it's all good.

JimmyNavio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OP: do you have a Gamecube?

Zell on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    Can you even hook your wii to your monitor? (Does it have component in?)

I have all the same systems you have and just recently got a wii. Honestly I was going to wait till the wii2 or wiiHD but my wife wanted one and Monster Hunter was calling to me so I bought it. I don't regret buying it but it is pretty underwhelming. (Looks pretty horrible on a 60" TV)

The monitor has composite and component - the later is currently used by my 360 but I think it is dying so a 360 with HDMI may be in the cards. Still the HDMI is currently used by the PS3 but then there is also DVI (which is sort of HDMI without sound) and the PC is using the DisplayPort... it is good to have a flexible monitor (It's a U2711) 8-)

Thank you all for the great info. It is hard to draw a conclusion other than what I should have been able to tell my self from the start. It's all about the games o_O

I shall do some reading on what Wii games are out there/coming plus check out what there is of GameCube titles I may have missed (Never had that one). It is not like I do not already have a big back log of games for the other platforms but that is more of a luxury problem than a real problem :lol:

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh wow, if you don't have a GameCube and you want to catch up on some games then you should definitely pick up a Wii.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a hard time thinking of games I like on the Wii. No More Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2, Zak and Wiki, Wii Sports Resort, RE4...

I'm looking forward to the successor because Wii Motion Plus is amazing and gives you the kind of functionality you would expect from the goddamn thing stock, but as it is, there's just not a lot of good on the console. If you're all right buying something for just a few titles, though, I would go for it.

It looked great on my old HDTV despite being 480p, I'm not sure how it would appear on a monitor.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    I have a hard time thinking of games I like on the Wii. No More Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2, Zak and Wiki, Wii Sports Resort, RE4...

I'm looking forward to the successor because Wii Motion Plus is amazing and gives you the kind of functionality you would expect from the goddamn thing stock, but as it is, there's just not a lot of good on the console. If you're all right buying something for just a few titles, though, I would go for it.

It looked great on my old HDTV despite being 480p, I'm not sure how it would appear on a monitor.

You didn't enjoy Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter 3?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beck wrote: »

You didn't enjoy Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter 3?

I would perhaps like Monster Hunter but, no, I didn't dig the others. Metroid Prime 3 was all right, but not something I could finish. I skipped out on even trying Red Steel 2.

Mario Galaxy is really likable and there's things about it I enjoy, but it's just so talky and overly directed and thus seemingly linear that I just can't get into it. I feel like it's trying really hard to keep me from making any mistakes, or misinterpretations (isn't that a weird thing to control in an open, playground-like game?). The sequel could be cool though, I'll be checking it out. There are some really interesting ideas there, definitely, I just don't want my hand held so tightly.

I figure you get a lot out of your Wii, though? I'm glad I have one, I just don't use it for much.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!