As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lost Season 6] Is Over Now. SPOILERS ABOUND

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    Khildith wrote: »
    I miss Lost. We should all start to watch the series over from the start, one episode a week, and pretend we haven't seen any further.

We can theorize about every little thing and get angry at every unanswered question ALL OVER AGAIN.

Seriously, I miss Lost.
    I don't trust this Henry Gale fellow.

Why not? He just wants some milk.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yar wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    So, why did Desmond disappear from oceanic 815 mid flight?
    The incident spawned a new timeline that began in the 70s.

But that's not why he disappeared, right? Perhaps he just really had to go. Is it possible that it has any connection to when Desmond linked up with the sideverse and saw the Losties chilling on the plane during his forced rendezvous with electromagnetism?

Saying that the incident spawned a new timeline is a little misleading when applied to the purgatory theory. To be honest, I'm not sure if your statement is as vague so as to encompass all possible theories, or if you're stating your own theory as fact.

Kronus on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe they all died during the incident since, you know, they set off a hydrogen bomb. Maybe the island stuff post-incident was all a dying dream type thing, or the island was the alternate timeline.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Maybe they all died during the incident since, you know, they set off a hydrogen bomb. Maybe the island stuff post-incident was all a dying dream type thing, or the island was the alternate timeline.
    No hydrogen bomb was set off on Lost. They set off the Primer stage, which is a less powerful A-Bomb.
    This Primer stage was small enough to carry in a backpack. In comparison either Fat Man or Little Boy was the same design, and both those were over 4 tons.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know Arctic, I think at this point it doesn't really matter, he was making the point that any kind of explosion of that magnitude would kill the whole lot of them.

The specifics doesn't change it really.

Of course, this is in the context of freaking time travel, people surviving nuclear explosions and getting thrown into the future isn't that much of a stretch in their universe.

So, in conclusion: I have nothing to add to this conversation and am just adding to the noise.

P.S. I still like the idea that the bomb never went off at all.

Khildith on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know Arctic, I think at this point it doesn't really matter, he was making the point that any kind of explosion of that magnitude would kill the whole lot of them.

The specifics doesn't change it really.

Of course, this is in the context of freaking time travel, people surviving nuclear explosions and getting thrown into the future isn't that much of a stretch in their universe.

So, in conclusion: I have nothing to add to this conversation and am just adding to the noise.

P.S. I still like the idea that the bomb never went off at all.

It was the magnitude I was commenting. The primer stage and the complete A-Bomb's power is about 5 orders of magnitude difference.
    Put another was, the Incident bomb was 0.001% the power of Jughead's potential.
    Or the difference between obliterating the Island, and the people on top having a good chance of survival.

(Going by my guesstimate from an earlier thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=10131995#post10131995

If the Losties was exposed to the bomb, Juliet would still be crisp, so I'm mostly arguing because I love to argue about Lost and physics :)
    Edit: Also my estimate of the explosion would fit with the Hatch being built after it went off, which seems to fit the Whatever Happened Happened narrative of season 5.
    Sayid even foreshadowed this as early as season 2. "The last time I heard of concrete being poured over everything in this way was Chernobyl."

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, why did Desmond disappear from oceanic 815 mid flight?
    The incident spawned a new timeline that began in the 70s.

What does that have to do with my question?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desmond just went to the bathroom on the other side of the plane, why you guys always gotta make things complicated

Zek on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    I miss Lost. We should all start to watch the series over from the start, one episode a week, and pretend we haven't seen any further.

We can theorize about every little thing and get angry at every unanswered question ALL OVER AGAIN.

Seriously, I miss Lost.
    I don't trust this Henry Gale fellow.

Man, I can't wait to see what these new Tailie characters are going to bring to later seasons!

All the mysteries will be explained. Don't worry, the writers said they have it all planned out. And it won't be some silly-goose explanation like the "they're all in purgatory" theory that's going around right now.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    desmond just went to the bathroom on the other side of the plane, why you guys always gotta make things complicated

That's what I meant by red herring. He had to take a shit or something, just like "it worked" being about a vending machine.

glithert on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    glithert wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

That's what I meant by red herring. He had to take a shit or something, just like "it worked" being about a vending machine.

She also could have been saying it literally. While dying, she see a moment of the purgatory world (which is implied even if she was talking about the vending machine,) and assuming that she was traveling to an alternate reality, she could have told Sawyer that just before dying. That's pretty much the same mistake Desmond apparently made.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That "it worked" scene never sat well with me. I never understood why they bothered to show us that she survived the fall, the explosion, and all of that, just to kill her 3 minutes later. They could have had exactly the same magnitude of emotional depth if they had just left her as dead at the end of the Incident.

I mean, they knew that the actress was going to V. Why bother with the cameo?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I think they needed some kind of closure for Sawyer. Also, they needed him to be angry at Jack, and having her die all over again in front of them was a way to transition into that without looking quite as forced.

Of course they never did anything with it. Like, seriously, Sawyer practically stopped being a character once she was dead, he was so useless.

Khildith on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I think they needed some kind of closure for Sawyer. Also, they needed him to be angry at Jack, and having her die all over again in front of them was a way to transition into that without looking quite as forced.

Of course they never did anything with it. Like, seriously, Sawyer practically stopped being a character once she was dead, he was so useless.

They spent a whole episode on dealing with it. Sawyer runs off to the barracks and comes to terms with the whole thing and then there's his stint with MIB's people.

shryke on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm letting my mind wander on the lives of everyone who got off the island on the plane in the last moments. Sawyer and Kate and their awkward relationship, Alpert at 60-something giggling about how awesome being old and flabby is...
    Lupidas sitting around watching MacGyver reruns and spouting one-liners...

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had never listened to /film's podcast but I heard the lost ep and it's pretty good. I would say the two major sides of the debate are covered and covered well.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »

They spent a whole episode on dealing with it. Sawyer runs off to the barracks and comes to terms with the whole thing and then there's his stint with MIB's people.

I dunno, I felt like he got over the death of the woman he had just spent the last three years with incredibly fast, even by Lost standards.

After the barracks thing you mentioned I can't remember him referencing her or anything after that.

I understand that more personal drama between him and Jack was probably the wrong way to go and they didn't have time to lead to a more satisfying solution, so I'm not really complaining, but they made Sawyer increasingly irrelevant after that.

His spying and betrayal of Smokey? Failed. His attempts to leave Smokey behind when they took the sub? Leads them into a trap. He fails at recognizing plot armor and ends up blowing up the sub. :(

It was like they decided to keep him around just to be as bungling as Kate.

Sawyer was THE MAN season 5, he ran the whole operation, had the plans, the connections, and the interesting relationship drama. I guess I just miss Season 5 Sawyer.

Khildith on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    His plot revolved around his final reconciliation with Jack this season. It's mostly a shame they couldn't think of something useful for him to do in the finale other than captain a yacht, but there you go.

theSquid on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I dont know anything about lost other than:

1- The 'others' turned out to be human beings.
    2- There is a smoke monster
    3- The smoke monster is a black guy
    4- Everything that happened in the show was a dream. Nothing happened really and they all died in the plane crash.

Is it still worth watching from the start?

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

4- Everything that happened in the show was a dream. Nothing happened really and they all died in the plane crash.

3 and 4 are wrong.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

3 and 4 are wrong.

Yet hilariously all the people commenting on it (including news sources) are unable to comprehend what actually happened on point 4.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    haha, in a sense number 1 is wrong as well since we know they are human beings the whole time.

and number 2 is revealed in like the first episode

quite the list

Variable on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    haha, in a sense number 1 is wrong as well since we know they are human beings the whole time.

quite the list

Indeed Mr.Flunke, indeed.

hadoken on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »

quite the list
    There's Ethan displaying what seems to be superhuman strength. It's a legitimate question.

Also, I don't remember the smoke monster being revealed to be just that (i.e. some smoke thing) until later in the series.

If you want to be snarky, it helps to get things right.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i do remember when season 1 came out everyone at school (this was so long ago) even our teacher were debating the nature of the "others". People thought they were supernatural beings, but that it would ruin the show if they were.

So yeah, in your face whoever said that the others were always known to be dudes.

hadoken on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4 is not necessarily wrong, just depends on how you interpret and what you choose to ignore.

Yar on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4 is not necessarily wrong, just depends on how you interpret and what you choose to ignore.

Ignore being the last five minutes of the show which explicitly state 4 is wrong

tumblr_l3jvrxkopy1qbzvxh

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah Yar, let me explain how unlikely point 4 is. You know how you go on TVtropes sometimes, and sometimes you click on the Wild Mass Guessing page, and sometimes they have legitimate arguments about shipping or some person's motivations? But nearly universally every semi-popular page also has someone tossing a wild theory about how character x is a time lord and character y is secretly Suzumiya Haruhi, because that's apparently a meme and some people who regularly contribute to TVtropes think that's funny? THAT'S HOW UNLIKELY POINT 4 IS.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man is the real smoke monster.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whether I agree with the sentiment or not (for the record, I do), that's a pretty great strip, Joshua368.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joshua368 wrote: »

Ignore being the last five minutes of the show which explicitly state 4 is wrong

tumblr_l3jvrxkopy1qbzvxh

hahaahahaa, right on.

retrovm on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The last panel should read, "Yeah, that probably would make the most sense based on what we've seen the past 6 years, but instead I'll say some nonsense like, 'everything on the island, that was totally pinky-swear for realz.'"

Yar on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Except for the constant repeating of everything that happened, happened, and the fact that it doesn't make any sense at all.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The last panel should read, "Yeah, that probably would make the most sense based on what we've seen the past 6 years, but instead I'll say some nonsense like, 'everything on the island, that was totally pinky-swear for realz.'"

Nah, you had a solid theory for island being purgatory when JJ Abrams first thought up the concept, but it clearly deviated after everyone guessed it.

If you're trying to suggest it's still a sound theory you're way stretching it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure Yar is going to be 90 years old and still ranting to his great grandchildren about how "Anything's possible" with regards to the ending of Lost, and that it's not necessarily the case that everything was real.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

So, like, did you miss seasons 4 and 5 or what?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why would a group of people that didn't know each other, who all happen to die in the same plane crash, create a purgatory world to find each other in? Not only that, they include 3 people in their purgatory who happen to be on the island they crash on AND one of their girlfriends.

Not only that, but if the island we saw for the first 5 seasons is a purgatory, then what is the alt reality in the final season? Superpurgatory? For realz purgatory?

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Final Qualifier purgatory apparently.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And as a work of narrative fiction that makes no sense, because the perspective that it is told makes that impossible.

There was Ben Linus flashback episode. That involved him being on the island, if this was about the survivors of 815, why would the audience need to know the history of a being that can't be "real", based on the fact that he has lived on the island almost his entire life. Now if this is some sort of purgatory, how could things not related to the main cast be relevant?

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    well apparently my tone last page was misunderstood... I don't think I was being snarky at all, someone says they know nothing except xyz and some or all of what they said was wrong, I found it funny. not trying to make anyone feel bad.

I guess we don't officially know what the monster is until later but we know there is something monster-ish in the first episode.

sorry I wasn't in on the whole 'what are the others' discussion. I always believed them to be human and never had so much as a conversation about anything else.

but uh, yeah. I guess in my face? got me. good one.

but 3 and 4 are entirely wrong.

Variable on