As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Memorial Lawn Odor Thread -- Farewell Jack McCoy

AroducAroduc regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
The original Law and Order was announced as canceled by NBC about a week back after 20 years. It's always been a guilty pleasure, although Sam Waterston is awesome, especially when selling Robot Insurance.

law-and-order.jpg

The Wall Street Journal published a really nice article on how L&O basically created a viable business for actors in New York and found ways to throw money at every single bit player that they signed on. The other spinoffs (Criminal Intent) are still going, so they'll hopefully keep what L&O started there supporting the NY acting scene going. However, at the same time, they're launching another L&O spinoff for Los Angeles, so maybe the NY actor's whatsit isn't doing so well.

Of course, there's also the very real chance that another network picks it up since I imagine it's still a cash cow. NBC is just... NBC right now, and not known for their intelligent decisions. What else is TNT going to show for 8 hours a day if they stop making new episodes?

So now let us talk about how dreamy Jack McCoy is and reflect on the show's death, all the things that he says that you should listen to (end of the clip), and who the hottest ADA was. Choosey people choose Claire.

Aroduc on

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jack McCoy is just a magnet for the hottest ladies, especially brunettes. Lucky bastard.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    McCoy is awesome, but L&O just hasn't been the same since Lenny died. :cry:

SVU on the other hand... I'd watch Mariska Hargitay all night long.
    Uh.. huh huh.. other hand...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

SVU on the other hand... I'd watch Mariska Hargitay all night long.
    Uh.. huh huh.. other hand...

Fontana was amusing at the start when they were playing up the "I'm batshit crazy" angle, but yeah. Ed was fine, but the rest of the cops have been awful. Lupo and Bernard's beard adventures were kind of funny in the pathetic way though.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    L&O without Lenny was just sad. Fun fact, Jerry Orbach was also the voice of the candle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

It's too bad they couldn't give it one more season to let it beat Gunsmoke.

Invisible on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish it was SVU that got cancelled instead.

I liked Lupo though. Partly because he was Billy in Six Feet Under I guess.

Lucid on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lupes and Bernard (aka Anthony Anderson) were extremely entertaining to watch. Same with Jeff Goldblum and new female cop on Criminal Intent.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's obvious that Jerry Orbach pretty much carried the front half of that show. After he retired, the whole series just started to wither.

Possibly the stupidest role-change was taking Jack McCoy out of the courtroom. Let Thompson sit behind a desk and brood, McCoy's at home in the courtroom. Making him district attorney was out of character.

I just hope SVU gets a bigger budget out of this.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It's obvious that Jerry Orbach pretty much carried the front half of that show. After he retired, the whole series just started to wither.

Possibly the stupidest role-change was taking Jack McCoy out of the courtroom. Let Thompson sit behind a desk and brood, McCoy's at home in the courtroom. Making him district attorney was out of character.

I just hope SVU gets a bigger budget out of this.

They had to take Thompson out because of his attempted presidential run. They could have just thrown another DA in there, but at this point in the series, that would have been a slap in the face to McCoy.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't this like the only Law and Order that showed the court side of cases?

The others (SVU/Criminal Intent) seem like they stick almost exclusively to police work and end when an arrest is made. They hardly ever show the trial.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    Isn't this like the only Law and Order that showed the court side of cases?

The others (SVU/Criminal Intent) seem like they stick almost exclusively to police work and end when an arrest is made. They hardly ever show the trial.

Yeah, all the spin-offs are pretty terrible because of this. SVU at least does some court stuff occasionally, but is ruined by having terrible characters. CI just has some stupid shit where they get the criminal to confess like every time.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sad that it is being cancelled just before my brother moves to New York to be an actor. He's going to miss his rite of passage as a New York actor!

Tomanta on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It'd be one thing if NBC was canceling it to do something new. Since they're just starting up a new spinoff, anyway, I'm left wondering what the point is. Silly NBC.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It didn't last very long, but I really liked Trial By Jury. It went the other way from SVU and CI in showing more court than police work. And since it didn't even last a whole season I guess I'm the only person alive who liked that model.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    It didn't last very long, but I really liked Trial By Jury. It went the other way from SVU and CI in showing more court than police work. And since it didn't even last a whole season I guess I'm the only person alive who liked that model.

They put it on Friday night which is practically a kiss of death from the network.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    McCoy looks just like my old Physics teacher from high school. It always weirded me out.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I was the only person who really liked the older group of Stone, Robinette, Logan, Greevey, and then latter Lenny. Those were the best to me. Though McCoy and and Lenny was fine. Greene was a lot of fun, and after they got rid of him and put McCoy behind the desk it wasn't as good I think.

never die on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    never die wrote: »
    I think I was the only person who really liked the older group of Stone, Robinette, Logan, Greevey, and then latter Lenny. Those were the best to me. Though McCoy and and Lenny was fine. Greene was a lot of fun, and after they got rid of him and put McCoy behind the desk it wasn't as good I think.

I think the Lenny/Ed/McCoy/Abbie/Schiff years were my favorite, but I did really like Foghorn Leghorn too. Abbie was just a lot more uppity and amusing than most of the other ADAs, even if she wasn't the hottest. So much less whiny than Serena too.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

He didn't retire, he died.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He retired from life.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

Well he did retire from Law and Order. He moved on to Trial By Jury before he died.

Invisible on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They just had that episode on TNT an hour ago, in fact.

Sucks that they're cancelling it, but the original really started to take a nosedive after Watherson got kicked to desk duty and they brought in that Lupo dude and those little ADA shits. I actually kinda' feel sorry for Watherson and whats-her-name who plays the Lieutenant, as the two of 'em've both been around since season five or so and were two of the players that really made the show interesting, only to watch their work swirl into the shitter later on.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

Well he did retire from Law and Order. He moved on to Trial By Jury before he died.

Oh huh, I could have sworn he died while working on Law and Order: Original Flavor.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The loss of Lenny Briscoe was a horrible, horrible tragedy. Honestly, I'd have a hard time thinking of a fictional TV personality I'd grown more fond of.

I always assumed that Sam Waterston had grown tired of playing the role and wanted to play the less-visible role of DA. Nonetheless, it had to come to an end eventually, and I think that, while weakened, it was still a strong show in many regards.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Finale ended on an up note across the board, so yay for that.

And yea, Synthesis, Briscoe is just so great, you can't really replace him. Farina did ok, but couldn't fill the shoes. I won't lie, though, I almost wonder how well someone like Bruce Campbell could do the job...

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thank you, Dick, for
    giving the Lt. a happy ending.

And the show could vary wildly in quality, but at its best, Law & Order showd what the American criminal justice system was about, warts and all.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    Decent finale, I guess, but nowhere near enough Order. At least Jack got to shout at someone.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Finale ended on an up note across the board, so yay for that.

And yea, Synthesis, Briscoe is just so great, you can't really replace him. Farina did ok, but couldn't fill the shoes. I won't lie, though, I almost wonder how well someone like Bruce Campbell could do the job...

Interesting, perhaps....but it's still not Jerry Orbach. To be honest, it'd be someone totally different instead.

Then again, I'm not as huge a fan of Campbell, and I don't think his strengths play to that type of character.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    McCoy v. Union lawyer and a giant dickslap to the American education system, great episode.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It seems really weird to close down the main show in favor of a new spin-off. It's not like the characters' storylines are played out, considering they seldom do anything with their personal lives and can just swap in a new cop or ADA any old time.

And for hottest ADA I go with Connie, then Jill, then Abbie.

I was really thrown for a loop by that scene with Serena blurting out that she's a lesbian. I had my money on artificial robotic construct. She was so awfully wooden in every scene.

Backstop on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know why they canceled this show, its not like L&O:LA is going to get better viewers. LA is still not going to have Briscoe on the front end and McCoy as ADA on the back end. Its going to be a pale imitation of the real thing.

Would it have killed NBC to have given Wolfe his 21 season streak? Really? Renewing it for one last season to finally place it atop the legendary pedestal it deserves? People wonder why NBC is at last place....

It wasn't a great show, it was a show you could just sit down and watch. As much as I like the shows with heavy archs and show mythologies, I see the value of a show that requires nothing but a willingness to watch for a hour.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, McCoy at least got an epic bitchslap to go down on.

L&O:LA is really, really stupid. I know NBC has been making boneheaded decisions lately, but they ditched Trial by Jury after a few episodes, Criminal Intent was moved to cable and L&O is not pulling the numbers it used to or enough to be as profitable as they'd like and what do they do? They launch a spinoff of the one that wasn't pulling numbers like they wanted.

Invisible on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010

L&O:LA is really, really stupid. I know NBC has been making boneheaded decisions lately, but they ditched Trial by Jury after a few episodes, Criminal Intent was moved to cable and L&O is not pulling the numbers it used to or enough to be as profitable as they'd like and what do they do? They launch a spinoff of the one that wasn't pulling numbers like they wanted.

L&O had a major slip a few years ago (might have been when Cutter took over xADA) and then NBC decided to start playing ping-pong with L&O's timeslot and its ratings never really came back.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    It seems really weird to close down the main show in favor of a new spin-off. It's not like the characters' storylines are played out, considering they seldom do anything with their personal lives and can just swap in a new cop or ADA any old time.

And for hottest ADA I go with Connie, then Jill, then Abbie.

I was really thrown for a loop by that scene with Serena blurting out that she's a lesbian. I had my money on artificial robotic construct. She was so awfully wooden in every scene.

These people thought Jay Leno was going to save their network. They have no idea what they are doing.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can see why they thought Leno would keep their network afloat considering he's full of hot air.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    NBC thinks moving Law and Order to L.A. will result in leet ratings because NCIS did it and it seems to be working for CBS (never mind the fact that NCIS has been wildly successful, and CBS knows enough to not drastically fuck with the character lineup).

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alas, I can never forgive Law and Order for the horrible, horrible crossover episodes they inflicted on Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Well, at least the franchise gave Munch a home.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

L&O had a major slip a few years ago (might have been when Cutter took over xADA) and then NBC decided to start playing ping-pong with L&O's timeslot and its ratings never really came back.

That was when they really changed the writing style to make the characters more 'involved,' and the show really suffered for it. Greene's departure was after he blew away a suspect to save a woman from his troubled past. Lupo had that episode where he got intimately involved with the witness who turned out to be the murderer. Bernard had internet blogger go dig up all the dirt he could on his past, which included an illegitimate child. Making the characters so personally involved in the plotlines just really did not work for me, even though Van Buren's cancer fight was very well done.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alas, I can never forgive Law and Order for the horrible, horrible crossover episodes they inflicted on Homicide: Life on the Streets.

Well, at least the franchise gave Munch a home.

I can forgive all if it gave an extension to the awesomeness that is Detective John Munch.

Then again, I think Richard Belzer is totally awesome, and yet, have never watched Homicide. Multiple encounters between Munch and Briscoe between multiple shows means all is forgiven to me.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RendonRendon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RIP Law and Order: Original Flavor.

You will be missed. You where the best.

On a side note does LaO:LA seem like Coke 2 to anyone else?

Rendon on
    Cheese is great.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    NBC thinks moving Law and Order to L.A. will result in leet ratings because NCIS did it and it seems to be working for CBS (never mind the fact that NCIS has been wildly successful, and CBS knows enough to not drastically fuck with the character lineup).

Also quite frankly NCIS : LA just has an awesome lead in it's actually an awful awful show. The fact that it's in LA is just so they never have to meet up or have a jurisdiction conflict with the main NCIS.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.