As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Seattle

2»

• Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Late to the thread. So I work for UW, and live in Capitol Hill, and have been in Seattle for less than a year. I found my current place off of Craigslist. My particular area is fairly quiet, a few blocks off Broadway/Republican. It's not right next to the "scene" nearer to Olive/Denny and such, but that's maybe 5 blocks away. If you're willing to stay a few blocks in from the high-demand areas (Pine/Pike, Olive/Denny, right off Broadway) you'll probably find a bigger apartment for less money.

The Trader Joe's is actually kind of far from most of the Capitol Hill stuff, I think. Isn't it near 19th and Madison or something? That's not a noisy area, since it's largely residential except for the Trader Joe's.

As for the ZipCar thing, they do have cars like Honda Elements sometimes, but you need to book them a few days in advance. I actually don't think Ikea is that expensive for shipping, but I'm not sure. A lot of their crap DID fit in my civic (bed, tables, etc), fwiw

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    As for furniture, I think I've settled on IKEA to furnish the place for the most part and they'll deliver everything right to my apartment door.

I'd check the actual shipping costs on that. It tends to be prohibitively expensive particularly when Ikea is just a 20 minute drive south. If you're contemplating buying anything bigger than a plate I'd recommend making friends with someone that has a pick-up truck.

Good point. If I can't find anyone I can probably get a truck from Zipcars too I think?

Many rental car places rent vans or small pickups if you don't make any friends.

Backstop on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    IKEA is insanely expensive for shipping.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    IKEA is insanely expensive for shipping.

But it is also insanely packed to fit into small cars. I transported furnishings for several rooms in my old hatchback Merkur in one trip. Sadly it was a tight fit for the two other people involved.

finral on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I managed to fit a bunch of furniture into my Honda Civic.

It wasn't easy, but it was doable.

Thanatos on