As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Demon Armageddon, coolest ultra.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Chun's foot awaits the face of your Zangief eatmo.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    BOUGHT.

now to find a working ps2 controller..... ~.~

nah, gief was only for the xbox 360 "pad"

i can actually do directional inputs with a REAL pad. like i've been doing for 12 years.

thinking about picking up rufus.... and marvel vs capcom 2 is now playable for me again.

and soul caliburrrrrrrr

oh happy days. yulakulay!!!!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You people and your playstation pads must be made with some sort of rock thumbs. Back when I had a roommate with a ps2 I couldn't play Tekken5 for more than 30 minutes without my thumb starting to hurt. I think it was because of the spaces between the directional inputs on the d-pad.

I'm not saying it's worse than the 360 d-pad because it is better. But it's better in the way one black eye is better than two.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    You people and your playstation pads must be made with some sort of rock thumbs. Back when I had a roommate with a ps2 I couldn't play Tekken5 for more than 30 minutes without my thumb starting to hurt. I think it was because of the spaces between the directional inputs on the d-pad.

I'm not saying it's worse than the 360 d-pad because it is better. But it's better in the way one black eye is better than two.

Wait a second, are you telling me you didn't wear a thimble while playing?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait..is there a way to use a 360 controller on the PS3?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess that will have to wait a few months while I save up to buy a replacement...

Can't you get a basic one for about 100 dollars now?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thank God for Honda. My PPs had dropped to 700 after Elf, Viper and Ibuki. Thanks to that glorious turtling fat man I'm back to 1950 after only losing 3 matches getting him to C rank :) And i cant even piano hands lol.
    It's surprising how far you can get with butt splash shenanigans and tick command throws. :) I think the only time I've played against a Honda in Super was against pook.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just play until I get my callous thumb.

BTW, thank you internet dudes for the tips on the Trials. Finished Chun Li with one try, I'm now down to a total of 33 trials left.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    i can be a padlong! ~.~

no um hmm... i'll probably just rock ryu. i mean. why not?

oh god i can use ken again....

hmm... i've been itching to use el fuerte and... oh man i just want to play all the characters now. sprugglgglgllge

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess that will have to wait a few months while I save up to buy a replacement...

Can't you get a basic one for about 100 dollars now?
    I think the Arcade is $200. But supposedly they are announcing a 360 "slim" with built-in wireless and shit at E3...so might be good to wait...

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Wait..is there a way to use a 360 controller on the PS3?

I believe if there is you're looking at something like a XPFS/XPS/whatever that lagtastic POS was called that let you use keyboard, mouse, usb, etc. with the 360. Basically if it exists it probably isn't worth the time at the moment.

I could be wrong, most of what I was looking at was a while back when I wanted to get my HRAP2SA playable on both my 360 and PC.

The best place to keep tabs on converters is the converter thread in SRK's Tech Talk, I'll edit this post with a link in a couple minutes.

Edit

Coverter Compatibility Thread

Edit2 for Biz

Xbox 360 to PS3

Cross Battle Adapter by XCM: MarkMan confirmed that this drops inputs similar to the XFPS. People with 360 sticks should look into adding a Cthulhu PCB (Photos) for PS3 compatibility.
    Compatible with:
    Incompatible with:

Column on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »
    solsovly wrote: »
    Been away from the thread for a while, but just wondering, whats up with the title? Rufus is fantastic!

Oh he's really effective. I have to shift my hate to someone now that Sagat is reasonable. My rage has moved from getting stuck in Tiger Knee traps to being stuck in dive kick traps.

Also, he sucks.

Yeah, I'm kinda upset he's so damn good now. I've been a HUGE rufus fan since he was first announced and his pictures hit the web (and were subsequently bashed.)

I mained him the day the game fell into my hands and he was claimed to be mid-tier by early tier lists.

Now I get mocked online for picking him. People call me cheap :(

On the other hand it's so amazingly satisfying to have my favorite fighting game character of all time dominate.

What?

He's always been pretty damn good.

You misunderstood me.

Just saying that way back when the game first came out (SFIV I mean) he was considered medium tier. Of course that would change as people slowly discovered how awesome he was, and he worked his way up the tier lists.

So now, when people accuse me of playing Rufus because he's top tier, I get pissed cause I was a big fan way before then.

Oh well, what are you gonna do right? People are dicks.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah don't worry about that. If they need excuses for them to feel better about losing it's their problem.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's pretty much how i feel about Abel now.

He used to be mid tier. Now that he's considered top tier, people make me feel bad picking him :(.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So now, when people accuse me of playing Rufus because he's top tier, I get pissed cause I was a big fan way before then.

Oh well, what are you gonna do right? People are dicks.

What I thought was weird was that, at the tourney, not many people used Rufus. I didn't see all the matches, of course, but I think I saw...1? 2?

I saw way more Bison's.

I actually think Rufus > Bison, so it confused me. I actually think Dic is overrated (slightly). I don't know if it's his design and people have trouble using him or what.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, despite how "op" Rufus is it's like none of the (american) pros actually play him other than Wong and uhhhh... fuck forgot his name.

aBlank on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rufus is more powerful than Bison BUT he is more difficult and complicated to play. His ability to dominate is predicated almost entirely on your ability to hit dive kick, s.lk, s.lk, [1-frame link] s.FP to fat roll. If you can't hit that link consistently his pressure game is reduced to only the mundane.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would go as far as to say EX Messiah Kick is the best move in the game. Invincibility frames for days. Oddly I can't remember ever fighting any Rufus players in ranked.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any advice on getting a better motion for QCFx2 when on the left side of the screen? If I'm on the right side I can knock out FADC--> Ultra or other combos easily (Ken's jab into Ultra 2 for instance), if I'm on the left side of the screen I can barely get the Ultra motion to work at all.

Down--Right--Down--Right is just a really difficult motion on a stick, not sure if there's a trick to it.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've learned my execution problems were caused by the way i sat. My TV is high and i have to sit in a chair, that swivels, usually indian style or one leg crossed at knee. Even a small tilt or angle of your controller can throw your execution off by a few degrees and thats all it takes.

Ideally you can sit with the controller perfectly parallel to the floor. If not parallel is better to have the nose of the controller slightly higher than the bottom, but most importantly the two sides should be level.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What i did to learn how to do Ultras from both sides of the screen was practice in Training mode.

I turned on input display, and did the motion really slowly (Just enough for it to register). Then i slowly sped up. Whenever i messed up, i would look at the input display. Usually it would read D, DF, F, D, DF when i messed up. When correct, i would end with F or even UF (Exaggerating the motion a little bit can also help).

So in summary.
    1) Make sure you are ending in Forward or Up-Forward.
    2) Try exaggerating the motion a bit (Going to Up-Forward instead of Forward on the last input). It would look something like D, DF, F, D, DF, F, UF

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    yeah, despite how "op" Rufus is it's like none of the (american) pros actually play him other than Wong and uhhhh... fuck forgot his name.

Justin Wong and "Pretty" Ricky Ortiz are pretty much the only nationally prominent Rufus players.

Column on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rufus is more powerful than Bison BUT he is more difficult and complicated to play. His ability to dominate is predicated almost entirely on your ability to hit dive kick, s.lk, s.lk, [1-frame link] s.FP to fat roll. If you can't hit that link consistently his pressure game is reduced to only the mundane.

Having a 1-frame link combo doesn't make a character drastically more difficult/complicated to play. Rufus is stupid easy because the guy literally has like 2 "usable" combos. Everything else is dive kick shenanigans and footsies.

Not saying he doesn't have depth/tricks to learn (I fuck up dive kick spacing all day long) but the guy is incredibly easy to pick up and play, because you put your opponent in almost a constant 50/50 the moment you land a (blocked/hit) dive kick.

Also, even fucking up the s.lk s.fp XX tornado makes for one hell of a frame trap. Guys usually try to late tech to avoid throws and then they just eat a s.fp to the face :[

(EDIT) right, Ortiz was who I was thinking of. I literally know of no other "pro" (american) Rufus players.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Column wrote: »

Justin Wong and "Pretty" Ricky Ortiz are pretty much the only nationally prominent Rufus players.

Marn mains Rufus as well.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really need to work out a method to slow down my button inputs and get rid of my extra inputs. I almost wish I could play arcade mode with inputs on to get a better feel for live play while still being able to monitor what I am doing. Talking with some other players I know who come from more of a 3d fighter background I am finding this is a pretty common hurdle to get over.

Watching replays I have tons of extra button presses and double motions for my moves. Like if I am looking to do something simple like cr. lp, cr. lp, cr. rh. my inputs are normally about 7 crouching lp presses and 3 cr rh presses. I also notice for most ultras I do 3+ qcf motions. So in short I need to stop mashing I guess...

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Having a 1-frame link combo doesn't make a character drastically more difficult/complicated to play. Rufus is stupid easy because the guy literally has like 2 "usable" combos. Everything else is dive kick shenanigans and footsies.

Not saying he doesn't have depth/tricks to learn (I fuck up dive kick spacing all day long) but the guy is incredibly easy to pick up and play, because you put your opponent in almost a constant 50/50 the moment you land a (blocked/hit) dive kick.

Also, even fucking up the s.lk s.fp XX tornado makes for one hell of a frame trap. Guys usually try to late tech to avoid throws and then they just eat a s.fp to the face :[

(EDIT) right, Ortiz was who I was thinking of. I literally know of no other "pro" (american) Rufus players.

Yes it does. That single link leads to Rufus' tick throw game and guaranteed punishment. Otherwise all you can do is dive kick to jab spam. Dive kick to s.fp can be thrown almost every time. Dive kick straight into throw comes out too fast. That is why the link is so important to his rush game, it sets up everything else.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes it does. That single link leads to Rufus' tick throw game and guaranteed punishment. Otherwise all you can do is dive kick to jab spam. Dive kick to s.fp can be thrown almost every time. Dive kick straight into throw comes out too fast. That is why the link is so important to his rush game, it sets up everything else.

You can sub close mp for more than half the cast and mk (yes, it'll combo) for the other half which makes plinking this incredibly good. My point was, the link isn't even that hard (especially since it's so plink friendly).

Not all 1-frame links (or links in general) are equally difficult. I don't think people realize this. Timing a 1-frame link after a short or jab tends to be easy because we're all pretty damn use to linking after jabs/shorts by now. Compare that to something like Fei long's 2 frame link after his command throw into standing HP... it's (for me anyway) a MUCH harder link because the exact timing of it takes some getting use too, but it's a more lenient link.

(EDIT) holy crap, it's 4-frame link after his command grab into standing fierce. So yeah... don't judge a link by it's number.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    I would go as far as to say EX Messiah Kick is the best move in the game. Invincibility frames for days. Oddly I can't remember ever fighting any Rufus players in ranked.

Nah, not any more at least. SSFIV nerfed it, now it has less invincibility frames and does considerably less damage. Although, don't get me wrong, it's still really damn good, just not amazing/cheap like it was in SFIV. Of course buffing up galactic tornado balanced out the nerf.

In response to your 2nd point and Bizazedo's point...

In SFIV, Rufus was a pretty damn good character against the majority of the cast. But there were a few characters he was at an EXTREME disadvantage while fighting. It just so happened these characters were the most popular and high up on the tier list. Ryu, Zangief, Akuma, and of course Sagat were terrible match ups for Rufus, only the best of the best like Wong stood a chance.

So obviously Rufus was very rarely used in tournaments as 90% of his competition would put him at a disadvantage from the get go.

In SSFIV, Rufus's tough match-ups were fairly nerfed, which is one of the reasons (and rightfully so) many now consider Rufus the best character in the game.

It will take some time, but I'm certain we'll see Rufus become more and more and more common at tournaments, especially once some reliable tier lists (if there is such a thing) start coming out.

And Ablank and Valiant I think your both kinda right. When Rufus is against a character he can very easily rush down and keep momentum in his favor, he is damn easy to play as. However, when up against characters who can very easily punish or zone him, like Balrog or Ryu, his tactics take a rather extreme change and these tactics are not at all easy to pick up.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of tier lists. Its time for one. They are fun to tear up and bitch about.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, here you go:
    God Tier: Dan, Sakura, Makoto, Hakan, Guy

A Tier - Rose, Adon, T. Hawk, Ken, Seth, Vega

B Tier - Cammy, Rufus, Balrog, Ryu, Dudley, E. Honda, Juri

C Tier - Fei Long, Chun-Li, Gen, Akuma, Abel, Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Ibuki

D Tier - Guile, Cody, C.Viper, El Fuerte, Gouken, Bison, Zangeif

F Tier - Blanka, Sagat

Taken from the finest Antarctica players.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always disapproved of the "God Tier". I think it should be renamed the "Goddammit Tier" to make it more appropriate.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Two questions: how do you do that dashing throw? and is there a comprehensive Adon guide floating around? Google failed me and the OP's isn't cutting it

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Okay, here you go:
    God Tier: Dan, Sakura, Makoto, Hakan, Guy

A Tier - Rose, Adon, T. Hawk, Ken, Seth, Vega

B Tier - Cammy, Rufus, Balrog, Ryu, Dudley, E. Honda, Juri

C Tier - Fei Long, Chun-Li, Gen, Akuma, Abel, Dhalsim, Dee Jay, Ibuki

D Tier - Guile, Cody, C.Viper, El Fuerte, Gouken, Bison, Zangeif

F Tier - Blanka, Sagat

Taken from the finest Antarctica players.

Man that Dan, so cheap, with his amazing footsies, FADC ultra, and 50/50 hurricane kick vortex. What was Capcom thinking making him so overpowered.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In SFIV, Rufus was a pretty damn good character against the majority of the cast. But there were a few characters he was at an EXTREME disadvantage while fighting. It just so happened these characters were the most popular and high up on the tier list. Ryu, Zangief, Akuma, and of course Sagat were terrible match ups for Rufus, only the best of the best like Wong stood a chance.

I don't think he was at an extreme disadvantage, just slightly. Only the best stood a chance is a huge exaggeration as well.

Fighting Rufus is just so match up specific (I feel the same way about fighting Blanka). Do you know your characters option selects against repeated dive kicks? No? You lose. Like aBlank said, even when you mess up his link, it becomes a pretty nasty frame trap. His is generally safe because you learn very quickly not to option select throw against dive kicks.

Rufus is fairly balanced. He's easy to use and no one should feel bad for picking him. I'm just saying that scientifically, I think he sucks (to fight against).

edit: On the fun to fight against tier list, he ranks right up there with Blanka, Sagat and Gief. As always with any character specific post, pick whoever you have the most fun playing.

solsovly on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Newest tier list from penny arcade.

Adon Tier-Adon

God tier- Breathless

Being updated by the minute.

Transporter on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Breathless sucks though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

I don't think he was at an extreme disadvantage, just slightly. Only the best stood a chance is a huge exaggeration as well.

Fighting Rufus is just so match up specific (I feel the same way about fighting Blanka). Do you know your characters option selects against repeated dive kicks? No? You lose. Like aBlank said, even when you mess up his link, it becomes a pretty nasty frame trap. His is generally safe because you learn very quickly not to option select throw against dive kicks.

Rufus is fairly balanced. He's easy to use and no one should feel bad for picking him. I'm just saying that scientifically, I think he sucks (to fight against).

edit: On the fun to fight against tier list, he ranks right up there with Blanka, Sagat and Gief. As always with any character specific post, pick whoever you have the most fun playing.

Lol, ya looking back I did exaggerate quite a bit... not on Zangief though... god Rufus against Zangief is frustratingly rough. I'd rather fight Sagat.

Wishpig on

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I must say just repeated dive kick x 4 on OS techers is the funniest thing. Especially when you end it with an actual throw on the 5th rep for half their life.

I don't agree that he has great footsies though, his pokes tend to suck. At least that's my take coming from someone with great pokes like T. Hawk.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the info ChaosHat! I didn't realize it was a completely self contained unit (the usb wireless adapter), but upon googling it this seems like it would work. Apparently the whole 'lightning obliterated my 360 ethernet chipset' thing is rather common, sadly. The adapter is kinda expensive, but it's still way better than buying a new console.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Marn mains Rufus as well.

As far as I've seen in streams/tournies and read online, Marn hasn't played, let alone main, Rufus since vanilla. It's all Viper now, well, or Dudley showboating with standing fierce when he isn't playing anyone of note.

Column on